PDA

View Full Version : Polar HRM battery replacement

Tom
05-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Yes, yes, I know. I shouldn't use one, they're useless and misleading. Pfftthhthhhtt, I say.

So, I look on the Polar site to see what kind of battery it wants. Don't ever replace it yourself, they cry. If we do it we test it for waterseal, alignment, transmitter strength and whether it sings like the larks of the field. If you do it, various parts of you will wither and fall off.

So, what's the big deal if I don't purposely go swimming with it? Is my scam-o-meter set too high? Should I just go to the competent watch guy I know?

Roy E. Munson
05-07-2004, 12:11 PM
I sent my Polar HRM in for a battery replacement, it took forever to get it back, and the phucking thing hasn't worked right since I got it back. Save yourself the time, headache, and hassle and fix it yourself. I've yet to meet anyone who's fixed it themself and had a problem. Polar will not warranty it though, if the battery is not replaced by them.

Marron
05-07-2004, 12:36 PM
My expereince is that the seals will start to lose their effectiveness after 2 or 3 battery changes. If this is your first time, I'd just open it up an replace the battery. If you've already been in there a few times you should probably let them replace the battery and seal.

Tom
05-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Shucks, after two or three battery replacements you know I'm going to want the latest and coolest version so wearing out the seal isn't going to be an issue.

sam
05-07-2004, 03:20 PM
I sent my S710 out for a battery change a few weeks ago. I Fedex it out on Monday and had it back by Friday of the same week.....and it works perfectly.......no problems here.............

Dekonick
08-04-2004, 08:27 AM
How much does Polar charge to change a battery? My s210 is starting to dim and I know its gonna go soon.

Tom
08-04-2004, 09:09 AM
Apparently nobody keeps one in stock. Unless you plan on submerging, replacing it yourself is OK. I figure if I find myself 80 feet underwater, something's gone terribly wrong and my HRM has moved a ways down the list of issues to ponder at that point.

Too Tall
08-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Local watch shop does mine for $8....over and over and over. Nada problem.

For parts and purchase this is the guy I use:
http://www.sarkproducts.com

Dekonick
08-04-2004, 09:33 AM
cool. Thanks - nah, I dont swim with it but I do ride in the rain sometimes - usually when I somehow start out with clear skies...

anyway - thanks! Ill take it to a local watch shop. How about the sensors? anyone ever change them? (my &^$ cadence isnt working)

Ozz
08-04-2004, 10:52 AM
... (my &^$ cadence isnt working)

pedal...left, right, left, right, left, right... ;)

TheFed
08-04-2004, 05:34 PM
cool. Thanks - nah, I dont swim with it but I do ride in the rain sometimes - usually when I somehow start out with clear skies...

anyway - thanks! Ill take it to a local watch shop. How about the sensors? anyone ever change them? (my &^$ cadence isnt working)

I assume you're asking about replacing the battery in the cadence sensor... There are two small screws on the "fat" side of the sensor (the part closest to your bike when it's installed). Take those screws out (with a small screwdriver, of course) and replace the battery with a standard CR2032 watch batter. I'm pretty sure it's a standard screwdriver, not a Phillips. Cake. :)

Larry D
08-04-2004, 07:09 PM
For those of you interested in placing the Speed sensor on your chainstay instead of the fork, this is copied from the now defunct Polar Forum
"This is what you do: Open the speed sensor (2 tiny screws in the bottom), next to the battery there's a three legged switch, move the jumper to the other side (left, I think), screw the sensor together again, and now mount it on the rear stay (eg. behind the crankset if there's space enough).

You now have one of the longest ranges of cycle computers on the market today (app. 90 cm).

Before doing this myself, I contacted Polar. They said yes, it was possible to mount sensor on the rear stay, but advised against it, due to possible interference problems. I have no idea of what they are talking about. You will experience no problems w. interference when you're back in the pack. I know this for a fact, some of my friends ride with the s710 too and there have never been any interference of any kind. Accordingly, there have never been anyone else complaining about computer interference w. my Polar."

I have tried it and it worksd like a charm. :beer: