PDA

View Full Version : Colorado snow - Crested Butte, Salida areas end of July?

HenryA
06-22-2019, 11:09 PM
Headed out to Colorado at the end of July. There are plenty of reports about the massive snow pack this year. Does anyone have informed opinions about the high mountain trails at that time of year? The 401 and Monarch Crest are both favorites but I wonder if they will be open. Should I start thinking more about riding lower elevations?

Thanks!

Tickdoc
06-23-2019, 06:50 AM
Headed out to Colorado at the end of July. There are plenty of reports about the massive snow pack this year. Does anyone have informed opinions about the high mountain trails at that time of year? The 401 and Monarch Crest are both favorites but I wonder if they will be open. Should I start thinking more about riding lower elevations?

Thanks!

Can’t say but they had snow yesterday!?! I saw some very cool pics on Instagram of the green summer lower valley and snow up top. Hopefully will be open by end of July. Peak Colorado summer and my favorite part of the state.

jamesdak
06-23-2019, 07:32 AM
Hey, I used to play in that area when I lived in Co. Mt Ouray and such. I know there was fresh snow up there yesterday from a friends post.

Jaybee
06-23-2019, 08:12 AM
It did snow yesterday, and the snowpack on Monarch Crest is still pretty high. That said, the melt rate the week before last was pretty crazy. Absolute Bikes in Salida is your go-to resource for CB trail recon. Check their social media.

Mr. Pink
06-23-2019, 12:30 PM
This was a post from Arapahoe Basin today on FB. Awesome late season for skiers, not good for high altitude biking yet.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10161786447790332&id=315064175331

That picture was taken at the base, about 10,000 ft..

likebikes
06-23-2019, 09:12 PM
bring snowshoes

arimajol
06-24-2019, 08:10 AM
I was in CB mid-July two years ago and trails were clear. This year seems a different story though.

Butch
06-24-2019, 09:04 AM
Can't speak directly for CB area, but we had a lot of snow here in Steamboat in the last several days, about 20+" total at 10,000'. Not sure when we will see the trails up on the divide. The weather is supposed to break away from cold and wet to warmer and drier this week. With some wind and low humidity it will go away pretty quickly. Both Absolute and Subculture have good beta down that way.

pbarry
06-24-2019, 07:55 PM
You should be ok in late July, even with the extended spring we've had. Six-eight week snow free window for the high peaks this year. :eek:

HenryA
06-25-2019, 09:12 AM
Thanks for everyone’s replies.

What are some fun lower altitude rides in the area? I’ve ridden Hartman Rocks at Gunnison but not much else down there. Any ideas?

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Jaybee
06-25-2019, 09:37 AM
I echo the sentiment that yo shouldn’t give up on the high country rides just yet. I expect a huge melt off over the next few weeks- creeks and rivers will be high. I’d call it 50-50 at this point for being able to ride above 12,000 in the last week of July.

In case you do end up lower, what are you looking for? Long XC cruises? Steep techy ups and downs? Vistas? There’s so much different riding in that area that it helps to focus a little bit.

Jaybee
06-25-2019, 10:12 AM
Monarch Crest Recon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYvZVQk73GI)

Tom is a local who knows what he's talking about.

HenryA
06-25-2019, 09:01 PM
Not giving up but rather looking at alternatives at my leisure, and just in case...

I think I met Tom once upon a time at the bike shop in Salida IIRC? I recognize that part of Monarch he showed. I did a hike a bike into 401 through something like that a few years ago. About a mile of snow then it was clear. Second person to ride it that year, only one set of tracks in front of me.

And, I am looking for all kinds of riding but super gnar. Riding a hardtail and I like carvy swoopy stuff. Its a family trip so 12 year old through grandmother need to be able to ride some too.

Thanks for all the responses so far.