PDA

View Full Version : bring me up to date on CO2 inflators

eddief
06-22-2019, 09:42 PM
been using pumps in the last few years but had a flat today on new tubeless capable rims. someone lent me a frame pump but was unable to easily get the tire snap up onto the bead.

think i ought be carrying CO2 again. what size cartridges for 700x28 tires to 70 psi?

need brainless effective inflator. i'm sure no opinions out there on this but open just in case.

tourmalet
06-22-2019, 10:21 PM
A 16g cartridge should inflate your 28c tire above 70PSI. I use the cheapest Genuine Innovations inflator head and have always managed to get enough pressure into the tire. Since CO2 diffuses through butyl tubes, I use up the entire cartridge and end up with a little more pressure than optimal, but after a couple of hours the tire will be 10-20PSI lower. Whichever inflator you get, make sure that your valve head is long enough to fully seat the inflator.

That said, I don't run tubeless so hopefully someone else can chime in on whether CO2 cartridges have enough oomph to seat a tubeless tire.

bitpuddle
06-22-2019, 10:22 PM
I would think that a 16g cartridge would be fine.

I like the Silca inflators, just because they are nice and small and give you control over the flow. there are lots of nice inflators, though. I have a Lezyne that is similar to the silca one.

eddief
06-22-2019, 10:36 PM
just tubeless-ready rims. thx.

A 16g cartridge should inflate your 28c tire above 70PSI. I use the cheapest Genuine Innovations inflator head and have always managed to get enough pressure into the tire. Since CO2 diffuses through butyl tubes, I use up the entire cartridge and end up with a little more pressure than optimal, but after a couple of hours the tire will be 10-20PSI lower. Whichever inflator you get, make sure that your valve head is long enough to fully seat the inflator.

That said, I don't run tubeless so hopefully someone else can chime in on whether CO2 cartridges have enough oomph to seat a tubeless tire.

makoti
06-22-2019, 11:06 PM
I really like the Pro Bike Tool inflator. Just about fool proof.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Bike-Tool-CO2-Inflator/dp/B017KU1DIK/ref=asc_df_B017KU1DIK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312111916046&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18286493412767580951&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008151&hvtargid=pla-497567247564&psc=1

vqdriver
06-23-2019, 01:04 AM
Imo, there is zero need for any flow control on a co2 inflator. Blast that S in there.

Blown Reek
06-23-2019, 07:15 AM
Imo, there is zero need for any flow control on a co2 inflator. Blast that S in there.

Unless you don't have the tire seated correctly and the tire blows off the rim. Then you're out a tube and a CO2 cartridge.

djg21
06-23-2019, 07:59 AM
been using pumps in the last few years but had a flat today on new tubeless capable rims. someone lent me a frame pump but was unable to easily get the tire snap up onto the bead.

think i ought be carrying CO2 again. what size cartridges for 700x28 tires to 70 psi?

need brainless effective inflator. i'm sure no opinions out there on this but open just in case.

I really like my Silca EOLO III. https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/technspec/silcas-eolo-iii-co2-head-instant-classic/.

It’s a Silca and it works.

makoti
06-23-2019, 08:27 AM

Imo, you're wrong about that. The ones I used before this were a pain. This one is a breeze to work.

I really like my Silca EOLO III. https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/technspec/silcas-eolo-iii-co2-head-instant-classic/.

It’s a Silca and it works.

And this was one of them. Total junk, in my experience. Didn't work well, fell apart. Pretty disappointed with it. Take a Pez review with a grain of salt.

metalheart
06-23-2019, 09:12 AM
I use the Silca and you can do some flow control with it, but I have also used the Portland Design Works Shiny Object that has some nice flow control. I was not too happy with my first Silca, it just did not work at a time when I needed it to work and I called them as I was walking back to my car and let them know my experience. They sent me a new one and it has worked much better. I use flow control when I need to use more than one cartridge.

eddief
06-23-2019, 09:29 AM
thx

I really like the Pro Bike Tool inflator. Just about fool proof.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Bike-Tool-CO2-Inflator/dp/B017KU1DIK/ref=asc_df_B017KU1DIK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312111916046&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18286493412767580951&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008151&hvtargid=pla-497567247564&psc=1

Tony
06-23-2019, 10:12 AM
I've been using one of these for years, works great! I avoid the metal ones, after having several. Its light, durable plastic that doesn't transfer cold to your hands.

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Zeppelin-Inflator-Head/dp/B000RYBGAC/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=planet+bike+tire+inflator&qid=1561302655&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-5

josephr
06-23-2019, 02:48 PM
Unless you don't have the tire seated correctly and the tire blows off the rim. Then you're out a tube and a CO2 cartridge.

I use the GI Microflate Nano--all the other chuck types are good too, this is just the one I have/use. After you screw in the cartridge all the way and start the untwist to inflate, just a nudge is all you need to check the bead seating.

Seramount
06-23-2019, 03:00 PM
currently using a Portland Design Works unit.

it's small, well-designed, and 'shiny'...

dgauthier
06-23-2019, 04:05 PM
And this was one of them. Total junk, in my experience. Didn't work well, fell apart. Pretty disappointed with it. Take a Pez review with a grain of salt.

Thanks for confirming my gut feeling. I just read that Pez review of the Silca chuck and thought "what a huge truckload of crap.." Silca's marketing really rubs me the wrong way.

A Genuine Innovations Air Chuck is great too. https://www.amazon.com/GENUINE-INNOVATIONS-Air-Chuck-Inflator/dp/B01EOMTGN6

Probably would be one of Makoti's least favorite (it's a blow and go) but it's indestructible and I've never had a problem inflating a tire with it.

Lewis Moon
06-23-2019, 06:48 PM
The genuine innovations inflator has been the most durable and fool proof of any I've owned. Just threw away a Zeppelin that took a crap on me in a race.

rnhood
06-23-2019, 06:49 PM
I have used several and, when used properly they all worked well. However, if one forgets to open (unscrew) the valve stem, then it will blow the gasket right out of the inflator head the moment one tries to inflate the inner tube. I would like to know if there are any inflators that will not blow the gasket should we forget to unscrew (or open) the valve stem.

pdmtong
06-23-2019, 06:56 PM

are you using sealant?

owly
06-23-2019, 07:06 PM
Was looking at inflator options over the weekend. Considered the Eolo III but went for the Lezyne Control Drive.

While working on my bike yesterday I was trying to mount come tight Compass tyres on a carbon tubeless rim, and set them with a floor pump. Had recently seen a vid where a guy in the field (without an inflator) seated most of the bead (mtb tyre) using a tyre lever; hooking up and over the bead onto the rim edge, while slowly sliding the lever around the rim diameter.
When you do this it eventually gets real hard to push the lever any further as the bead circle is getting really tight. You end up with a length of the bead no set but its enough seal to pump up the tyre by hand and get going.

However the Compass bead was super tight on my rims at the beginning (the tyres are on the rims, but not set yet on the bead). So I had a bit of a think.....:confused:

I removed the chain (master-link) and flipped the bike upside down on the ground. Working on the rear tyre, I stood behind the wheel/bike. Grabbed one lever and hooked it under the bead near the valve (easy to get under the bead here). Holding the lever in left hand I 'locked' the lever between the crank arm and chainstay, holding onto all three items (easy to do). Using my body weight I rotated forward the wheel placing my right hand on the tyre/wheel. This extra body weight/leverage made the bead/tyre rotation pretty easy, and the bead fairly easily moved up and onto the inner rim shelf.

Locking the lever by hand is good as you can adjust the lever angle (back-off the lever tension) as the bead gets tighter, working your way around the tyre.

Like the guy in the vid it eventually became too hard to rotate the wheel any more, so I then did the other side the same way. Easy :)

Did the same with the front wheel by using the longer rear-wheel skewer (qr) and dropping it in the rear drop out. Pumped up the tyres with my hand pump.

Pretty stoked it worked well for me. Just another handy mechanic trick option I suppose for when I'm out in the sticks.

dmurphey
06-23-2019, 07:07 PM
I use the threaded CO2 inflaters a lot of the time for my road bikes with small seat bags, and I spend $3 for each cartridge. If you have room, as I do in my gravel bike seat bag, then the non-threaded cartridge inflator saves a bunch on the cartridges, a box of 15 or more at Academy is less than $1 each.

https://www.genuineinnovations.com/collections/bicycle-co2-tire-inflators/products/full-metal-jacket-co2-bike-tire-inflator

Dude
06-23-2019, 09:17 PM
If I might get preachy for a moment...please don't use CO2 when a pump is reusable, cheaper in the long run and isn't as resource intense.

But, if you flat on the road with tubeless just put a tube in and get on your way. You can get the tire to seat with a hand pump (repeatedly and forever).

mtechnica
06-23-2019, 09:20 PM
The PDW one is legit in my opinion because it has a nice little valve.

mtechnica
06-23-2019, 09:22 PM
But also I use my compact folding floor pump thing most of the time it’s revolutionary lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BVOUI32/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seriously it’s even small enough to keep in your jersey pocket if you aren’t mad about it poking out a few inches.

sand fungus
06-23-2019, 10:19 PM
I always have a CO2 system in my bike bag and use them as they are way faster than a hand pump. I use a really lightweight Genuine Innovations Air Chuck Plus which takes up practically no space in my bag.

That being said I always have a really small back up hand pump in my jersey.

Also when it gets below 30 degrees outside do not use CO2. I did it once and ended up with a frozen block of ice in the tire that ripped up my tube. That was a taxi home experience.

rustychisel
06-23-2019, 10:21 PM
Just threw away a Zeppelin that took a crap on me in a race.

The imagery is errm evocative, but I genuinely have no idea what you just said. :rolleyes:

anyway, this is the Paceline forum, so the correct answer is always 'Frame pump'.

Clancy
06-24-2019, 06:02 AM
are you using sealant?

My question also

How does CO2 react with sealant?

Seramount
06-24-2019, 08:19 AM
...please don't use CO2 when a pump is reusable, cheaper in the long run and isn't as resource intense.

I'm pretty green, but not going back to a frame pump.

but, if one does opt for CO2, don't leave the used cartridges on the side of the road.

they're steel and can be recycled.

kinda aggravating how often I find them (and tubes) that people just toss after flatting...

Lewis Moon
06-24-2019, 09:06 AM
The imagery is errm evocative, but I genuinely have no idea what you just said. :rolleyes:

anyway, this is the Paceline forum, so the correct answer is always 'Frame pump'.

I meant this one (https://www.ebay.com/i/254202023878?chn=ps).

The GI inflator I use is this one. Piece of crap.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2185/2309/products/G2673_AC_20g_copy_1024x1024.jpg?v=1558557100

pdonk
06-24-2019, 09:24 AM
I had mixed results with my leyzne trigger drive, until I reread the instructions and spent a few cartridges at home to make sure I was using it correctly. Now I am confident I can get it to work in the field.

A bus, train and uncomfortable walk home had me considering a frame pump. But since I only flat at most a half dozen times a year, and keep a floor pump in the car and can't afford a painted to match pump, plus I forgot the pump peg on the bike, I'll stick with CO2.

biker72
06-24-2019, 10:03 AM
To answer the OP's question...YES. Had my first flat in over 4 years. Ran over some debris left by high water and down went my rear tire. A 700x28 Schwalbe was inflated to 72 psi with a 16 gram CO2.

Mike Bryant
06-24-2019, 08:26 PM
I had a hard time getting a tire/tube to seat in a tubeless rim with a floor pump so used some liquid dish soap and water to get the tire bead to slide into the seat all around. I figure that should I flat, I’ll change the tube and just use a little water from the water bottle to reactivate the now dried soap and pump away with my frame pump.
Think it will work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk