PDA

View Full Version : Dinotte Tailight Mount for Rear Rack

rasterdogs
12-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Here are some illustrations of the way I made a way to mount a Dinotte Tailight to the rear rack on my Romulus. IMHO this is marque appropriate as it utilizes zip ties.

It also requires a synthetic wine bottle cork. I found the process progressed more fluidly after I consumed said wine (2004 Pepperwood Grove Syrah). Note: the cork needs to have a notch cut in it soh one might go a bit easy on the vino.

It is helpful to angle the light down as it is quite bright even on the low setting.
Cheers,
JimD

Ahneida Ride
12-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks !!!!!

I have Rack mounts and no rack. So I mounted the tail light to the
Rack mounts using a "C" clamp that usually fits around a seat post.
The tail light nicely fits inside the C clamp. I attach the C clamp
to a seat stay rack mount using two small rubber faucet washers. (they also act as isolation against vibration)

The battery pack is attached to my seat post. This makes for a nice
professional looking arrangement.

I'll post picts after Christmas. I'll have a digital camera by then.

The Dinotte tail light is truly amazing and it's brightness/visibility is unprecedented. If you truly wish to be noticed, this is the light.
WARNING: Point this light down. It can overwhelm motorists.
Yes it is that bright !!!!!

pdxmech13
12-11-2006, 09:32 PM
what is the energy source and where did it get bought ?

Jack Brunk
12-11-2006, 10:22 PM
I had two drivers ask me tonight to turn down the intensity on the Dinotte taillight. I told them that the was meant to be bright and it was obvious that it worked. I also had some guy sucking my wheel because his light had gone dead.

Jack

znfdl
12-12-2006, 06:35 AM
A good source for the Dinotte Taillight is www.peterwhitecycles.com

Part of my morning commute is on a somewhat busy road. When I used to blinkies, the cars would give me a 3 foot berth, with the Dinotte it is 6 feet.

I do not have a rack, but my short term mount for my commuter is comprised of a piece of PVC pipe mounted to the brake bridge bolt. My commuter is a cross bike, therefore the bolt is only supporting the pipe. For my long term mount, I will be using one of the Minoura Spacebars mounted to my seatpost.

http://www.calhouncycle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=834&idcategory=19

ClutchCargo
12-12-2006, 07:35 AM
$112 for a tail light is pretty steep!
Does it have its own battery, or can it plug into a headlight pack?

How much does the tail light system weigh?

znfdl
12-12-2006, 09:48 AM
I feel that the Dinotte light is so visible, that it is worth the $112. I will gladly pay good money to be much more visible. I was skeptical of the price, but was overwhelmed when I looked at the light on high.

You have two choices for batteries:

If you have a Dinotte headlight, then the two lights can run off of the same battery.

The model that I have uses 4 AA batteries. I bought rechargeable batteries and get over 10 hours of run time, which is enough for a week of commuting.

billrick
12-12-2006, 11:03 AM
For the unenlightened (ha ha), I thought I'd post a photo of the Dinotte tail gunner. I have a Dinotte Ultra 3 on my helmet for commuting and it is fantastic.

:)

TimD
12-12-2006, 02:05 PM

ClutchCargo
12-12-2006, 02:17 PM
I feel that the Dinotte light is so visible, that it is worth the $112. I will gladly pay good money to be much more visible. I was skeptical of the price, but was overwhelmed when I looked at the light on high.

I hear ya' on the "pay for safety" argument -- looks like they have an ultra-bright light and just need to get their mounting setup straightened out.

I just hope I can avoid that logic before I find myself laying out $900 for that German headlight that peter white is selling !

znfdl
12-12-2006, 05:31 PM
I just hope I can avoid that logic before I find myself laying out $900 for that German headlight that peter white is selling !

That is why I got an L&M ARC HID. The HID for $280 is a very very bright light. I lent one to DJG as his light was burned out. It took him one ride to figure out that ARC was a great light. I will try to post some pictures of how I mounted the Dinotte.