PDA

View Full Version : Mavic OP alternative?

Climb01742
05-07-2004, 11:21 AM
i really like my mavic OPs. just for the sake of variety, is there another wheel that rides like an OP? i know that "variety" is a silly reason to consider another wheel, but hey, how the hell else could a guy wind up with "a few" bikes. ;)

Jeff N.
05-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Try Mavic CXP-33's. I like them every bit as well as my OP's. They have a slightly aero profile, ride solidly, and will work with standard-length valve stems. They're a great alternative to OP's. I think you'd like 'em. Jeff N.

dbrk
05-08-2004, 09:56 AM
While I too like the CPX-33 just fine I don't think it rides much like the Open Pro. I find the CPX-33 a bit stiffer in that impresionistic way in which we declare our preferences and recollections. A rim that rides more like an Open Pro is the Ambrosio Excellence or Evolution. Look here for some pictures and prices: http://www.ital-tecno.com/products.asp?cid=25

I am venturing back to tubulars because of the Tufo tape. I hate glue but find the tape easy and safe (so far, so good). For those who think using other than glue is apostasy, I can only reply that even I---skeptic of all things "new and improved" in the bike industry---think this tape stuff is a vast improvement.

I'm building up a new Rivendell this weekend with DA10spd downtube shifters and TA cranks (as the main course) and using newly built NOS GP4 rims on new DA hubs with Conti Sprinter 250s. I'm not expecting the Dugast-ride but I think these will answer nicely.

dbrk
waiting for the FedEx man with the incoming Legend...more to follow