PDA

View Full Version : Two Bolt Front Derailleur Bracket

m_sasso
06-20-2019, 10:11 PM
Recently purchased an older NOS frame, 1999 Lemond Malliot Jaune that uses a two bolt front derailleur bracket. Unfortunately the bracket is missing and I need to replace it, is the spacing on these "standard" and would a bracket from another frame fit it? Like from a Giant OCR? Or am I going to need to fabricate one for my self?

Attached images of the bracket and frame.

Thanks for the help!

jtbadge
06-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Is the seat tube smooth and round where those bolts are installed? You might be able just to use a regular clamp-on derailleur (or braze-on adapter).

m_sasso
06-20-2019, 10:28 PM
Is the seat tube smooth and round where those bolts are installed? You might be able just to use a regular clamp-on derailleur (or braze-on adapter).

Thanks, the frame is not perfectly round, slightly concave dimpled where the bolt holes sit. Tube is 35.4mm in diameter, a standard clamp on bracket may be secure enough however I currently don't have anything that big around in the way of a clamp or braze-on adapter to try out.

ultraman6970
06-20-2019, 10:38 PM
Maybe somebody has one of those frames trashed?

m_sasso
06-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Maybe somebody has one of those frames trashed?

Never say never but I don't think these frames were big sellers, difficult to even find pictures of this frame on the net. Just maybe though seems the 99 and 00 Malliot Jaune. Chambery and Alpe d Huez all used this same bracket.

oldpotatoe
06-21-2019, 06:57 AM
Recently purchased an older NOS frame, 1999 Lemond Malliot Jaune that uses a two bolt front derailleur bracket. Unfortunately the bracket is missing and I need to replace it, is the spacing on these "standard" and would a bracket from another frame fit it? Like from a Giant OCR? Or am I going to need to fabricate one for my self?

Attached images of the bracket and frame.

Thanks for the help!

Trek used these as well but the Lemond one looks way 'longer'...me thinks fabrication is n order.

Black Dog
06-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Thanks, the frame is not perfectly round, slightly concave dimpled where the bolt holes sit. Tube is 35.4mm in diameter, a standard clamp on bracket may be secure enough however I currently don't have anything that big around in the way of a clamp or braze-on adapter to try out.

If it is concave where nuts are in the frame then you should be able to use a clamp adaptor as long as the rest of the tube is round. Not expensive and may work.

m_sasso
06-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Where are all the Trek/LeMond mechanics? Someone must know if the mount is standard or a proprietary piece?

ultraman6970
06-21-2019, 04:26 PM
This will sound crazy but probably will be easier than fabrication and trying to actually find one....

Why not try to get the biggest one that is actually in the market and drill new holes for that one? Once the rivnuts are in place the FD wont go anywhere, besides personally I do not like the original design as it is because probably onder load the FD tab might bent a little bit, surprise me they did not put 4 holes in that thing.

jtbadge
06-21-2019, 04:30 PM
Per '97 Lemond Technical Manual (http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fisher-Klein-Lemond/1997specmanualLemond.pdf):

Front derailleur braze-on plate (Maillot Jaune, Chambery) T83201

I agree that making one would probably be easier than finding that actual part.

ultraman6970
06-21-2019, 04:31 PM
https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/NOVA-FRONT-DERAILEUR-BOSS-RIVIT-ON-BLACK.html

bikinchris
06-22-2019, 10:38 PM
I think I have some of those. Photos to follow,

bikinchris
06-23-2019, 07:04 PM
As promised.

I believe the bracket you want is on the left.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/picture.php?albumid=91&pictureid=466

Dasarbule
06-23-2019, 07:34 PM
Wow. I thought I had the ultimate junk drawer!

bikinchris
06-23-2019, 08:15 PM
Wow. I thought I had the ultimate junk drawer!

I inherited the leftover from the shop I managed when the owners retired. I recently had to give away 3 plastic storage bins full of old parts when I moved and had no more room in the truck. I still have 10 or so small organiser boxes full of mixed new old stock and parts taken off of bikes being thrown away. Note that one of these brackets has a broken edge. I have no idea how a part like this can get a chip broken off.

m_sasso
06-23-2019, 08:33 PM
Wow, Trek/Lemond parts treasure!
Chris is my hero for the summer, PM you on the part

More than thanks again!