PDA

View Full Version : Are these tires safe?

bjf
06-20-2019, 05:56 PM
This is an older pair of Michelin Pro4 tires. They have small cracks all the way around on the shoulders -- not the central surface, and not the sidewalls. Michelin says the shoulders are made of a softer compound for better cornering. I don't care about that -- I never go very fast anyway -- and I don't care about the cracks unless they are a precursor of something bad, like the tire blowing out. What do folks think?

johnniecakes
06-20-2019, 06:45 PM
I would ride them, some surface cracking doesn't mean the casing is affected.

azrider
06-20-2019, 06:46 PM
In the words of Memphis Raines...................

https://media.giphy.com/media/Qw4X3FnmFFCPANtlhtK/giphy.gif

Seramount
06-20-2019, 07:11 PM
don't see a problem.

Black Dog
06-20-2019, 07:14 PM
Thats what tires do when they age. Not a big deal.

Louis
06-20-2019, 07:23 PM
Absolutely safe. Mine do that all the time.

You may or may not want to trust me on this - I keep riding tires until they're worn to the point where I can see non-trivial sized spots where the threads show through.

ibis
06-20-2019, 07:29 PM
Absolutely safe. Mine do that all the time.

You may or may not want to trust me on this - I keep riding tires until they're worn to the point where I can see non-trivial sized spots where the threads show through.

Same here. I still occasionally cx race on a set of classic Michelin Mud green tires...which have good tread but the sidewalls have seen better days.

martl
06-21-2019, 02:48 AM
the rubbery coating on the outer side of the tire does little (if anything) to the structural strength of the tire, this comes from the woven threads underneath.

soulspinner
06-21-2019, 06:44 AM
Ride em like ya stole em:bike:

Mark McM
06-21-2019, 10:23 AM
In my experience, drying/cracking of the tread doesn't affect the integrity of the casing, so the chances of a flat don't increase much. But it does affect grip, particularly wet weather grip. These tires don't appear to have degraded too much yet, but you might consider changing them if they degrade further if you do hard cornering on wet roads.

weisan
06-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Pals, you are scaring bjf pal, stop it!

bjf pal, as an extra precaution, you need to ship the tires to me for further testing...

:D

Dino SuegiĆ¹
06-21-2019, 08:20 PM
I was expecting to see some geologic-level cracks, and those are barely visible, completely OK.

For really bad looking sidewall/shoulder cracking (but still perfectly ride-able), grab a NOS pair of Hutchinson Fusions....:eek: