PDA

View Full Version : Seasucker bike rack?

mass_biker
06-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Any first hand impressions/feedback? Can you mount on a hatchback/station wagon rear window?

Bentley
06-20-2019, 11:27 AM
I have two, a single and two bike model. I have used the single on the rear window of my truck and its worked perfectly. I have used both on the top of my Ford CMax, not sure how it would work on the back of a station wagon, unless you mean the rear of the roof. I guess you could attach the front to the window and "drag" the rear wheel.

Seasucker works well, no complaints at all

Ray

EDS
06-20-2019, 12:43 PM
Any first hand impressions/feedback? Can you mount on a hatchback/station wagon rear window?

They work. I have the single and have mounted the rear on the rear window in the past (that configuration does not work on my current vehicle though). Sometimes when I am loading up the car for a family trip I think it will be a pain to set up but once installed I am reminded it is pretty easy and not time consuming. Definitely give yourself some time to play with it the first time.

purpurite
06-20-2019, 01:05 PM
I just bought a new car (my wife says I have VADD—vehicular attention deficit disorder) and I'm tired of buying and selling Thule parts for a new rack for every new car I buy. I love the idea that this can be on my car when I need it and in the trunk when I don't, and nothing is permanently mounted.

Really interested in hearing first-hand accounts of how these work because I want the Talon set up for my C300.

fmradio516
06-20-2019, 01:08 PM
shameless plug: I have a bunch of brand new "accessories" for a seasucker rack. Things like the cable lock, window anchor, stuff like that. If anyone is interested for a discount on some brand new stuff, PM me.

CAAD
06-20-2019, 01:38 PM
I used one for a couple of years. I'm now back to using my Thule T2 hitch rack. It was great and never had issues with it. My biggest gripe was the process of installing it, uninstalling at the destination, then reinstalling. Was tedious. Would bring a microfiber cloth and quick detail spray to clean the roof, then wet the cups, then install the front piece, then line up the rear wheel holder, then pump the plungers, then mount the bike. Wheel in the hatch. Also pretty much no security, I would never leave it if I couldn't keep an eye on it. The hitch rack I can throw a cable lock through the bike, nothing is 100% but it's better than just burping the suction cups to remove the entire thing.

purpurite
06-20-2019, 01:43 PM
That's a really good point, I never thought of that. The nice thing is that they can be installed rather quickly and not permanent... the negative is that they can be also uninstalled rather quickly by someone not you.

That's a bummer. I keep my roof rack mounts locked, there is no way I would leave a system like this unattended without any way to protect it other than removing it and throwing it in the trunk.

Hmmmm...

Bentley
06-20-2019, 02:08 PM
shameless plug: I have a bunch of brand new "accessories" for a seasucker rack. Things like the cable lock, window anchor, stuff like that. If anyone is interested for a discount on some brand new stuff, PM me.

I PM’d you, interested

purpurite
06-20-2019, 02:26 PM
Also pretty much no security, I would never leave it if I couldn't keep an eye on it. The hitch rack I can throw a cable lock through the bike, nothing is 100% but it's better than just burping the suction cups to remove the entire thing.

I just talked to a customer service rep and the long and short of it is ^this—there is no security at all. No locks to secure the bike while it's on the roof and no security for keeping the rack from getting stolen while you are out riding.

I couldn't fathom how they could design and sell a product that was not even remotely attempting security. Must not have been a design consideration at all. I'm honestly really bummed out because that's a deal-breaker for me.

Great idea, incomplete execution. Fail.

mass_biker
06-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Agree on the inability to lock issue..

When I travel with the bike (solo), I typically stick it in the trunk of my wagon and go off on my merry way. When I take the bike with me + family, it goes on the hitch rack (1upUSA!) that attaches to the minivan. However, there are times when I have my wagon/kids/luggage and the need to transport a bike...which is where the seasucker would come in.

The thinking around the seasucker was that it would be the "in a pinch" bike hauling situation. The ability to take on/off quickly has some utility to me (vs. the need to lock it securely).

thanks all...

CDollarsign
06-20-2019, 02:57 PM
You usually see these on Porsches, but yesterday I saw one on a dodge stratus...

Bentley
06-20-2019, 03:43 PM
It’s a point A to Point B solution, just a way to move the bike. I use it to take the bike where I am riding. If I’m staying overnight, take it in with me. The convince is the reason. It’s way easier and less hassle than a hitch mount. The Thule solution is good if you have a factory installed roof rack, otherwise a bit inconvenient. Agree, no security, not why I bought it

joosttx
06-20-2019, 03:49 PM
They work very well. I know 3 guys that have them and they love them. One uses it on his company’s Smart car. It looks awesome!

Blue Jays
06-20-2019, 04:52 PM
My bet is 99% of thieves cannot differentiate between a Seasucker and a rack attached via more traditional methods.
The overall rate of theft between the two types of bicycle racks is likely statistically negligible. YMMV.

fmradio516
06-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Im so paranoid about actual rack theft. (I live in a city)

I just got a hitch mount rack(Kuat NV), and live on a third floor with limited space so putting on and taking off and bringing upstairs every weekend isnt really an option for me. I hope it doesnt get jacked!

So I guess the nice thing about seasucker is theyre SO compact when they arent on the car. Could fit in a small box in your trunk, which is a HUGE plus for me. The roof of my car isnt flat so seasucker isnt really an option for me.

floxy1
06-20-2019, 08:43 PM
I love mine! I mount to the sunroof and have driven 8+ hours through torte tial rain with no issues. Pops off in less than 30 seconds. It’s every bit as sturdy as other roof racks I’ve had. Plus the gravel bike on top of your go fast machine is just cool. https://i.ibb.co/LPNg1Zw/7-B20-DD2-E-1915-49-D4-BB0-E-F51-BD3-C1-B149.jpg (https://ibb.co/xsFg67v)

Moorecw
06-20-2019, 10:20 PM
We used sea sucker racks to carry extra bikes during Race Across America (RAAM) and Race Across the West (RAW). We had no issues and would recommend them.

fogrider
06-20-2019, 11:39 PM
I love mine, and have learned to carry a strap to lock down the crank so it doesn't backspin and the pedals can hit the roof or rear window. Also, each sucker has a little pump built in and it should be lubed periodically with silicone lube to keep those parts working.

William
06-21-2019, 08:19 AM
If you can't have or don't want a hard rack on your vehicle they work great. I wouldn't leave my bike unattended with them, but then again I don't leave my bikes unattended on my lockable Yakima rack on our other vehicle either. If you think you are going to be leaving the bike unattended for long periods of time it's not the route for you. My Seasucker did come with a trunk mount that would allow you to run a cable through the bike frame to secure it if you wanted to.

I didn't find taken them off or putting them back on a hassle either. Just carry a water bottle, give the cups a squirt and reattach. No big deal. Bottom line they work very well for what they are intended to do...attach your bike/s to your car securely to get from point A to point B.

Two thumbs up from me.

https://media.giphy.com/media/imRu0Oqh6kzdK/giphy.gif

W.

heartattackride
06-30-2019, 07:47 PM
No experience with them but just saw this pick on my FB feed.

572cv
06-30-2019, 08:12 PM

Don’t do FB, but: like !

54ny77
06-30-2019, 08:23 PM
Do they really work?

The idea freaks me out a bit, i.e. woops didn't quite get a good seal....and the bike goes wheeeeeeee! off the back....

purpurite
07-01-2019, 07:58 AM
Do they really work?

The idea freaks me out a bit, i.e. woops didn't quite get a good seal....and the bike goes wheeeeeeee! off the back....

As much as I don't like the idea of minimal (no) security, I have not found one instance of the suction cups coming off of the vehicle. And I tried.

Bentley
07-01-2019, 09:03 AM
Do they really work?

Had a bike come off of my Thule, that spring thing disengaged and I lost a ‘Nago one night in a rainstorm. Get home to find I has been dragging it. Would have lost the bike except for the cable lock. Nothing even close with the Seasucker. I get the lack of security, but I use to move bikes, nothing more

William
07-02-2019, 07:51 AM
As much as I don't like the idea of minimal (no) security, I have not found one instance of the suction cups coming off of the vehicle. And I tried.

They are vacuum cups, big difference. Attached properly they will not let go...and you have at least three with the Seasucker.

140 mph Richard Petty stock car test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_41Ujjv6WUw

Rally Car Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWiRGPb5gEI

Drift Car Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kp6qZ-Mah4

Race Car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIcsvaxG2tc

W.

berserk87
07-02-2019, 08:13 AM

The shocker would be if the back glass panel popped out.

William
07-02-2019, 08:16 AM
The shocker would be if the back glass panel popped out.

That back window would pop out before the cups would let go.

W.

berserk87
07-02-2019, 04:26 PM

W.

Yeah. That's kinda what I was thinking and was wondering if that could happen with that kind of external pulling on the glass.

William
07-02-2019, 04:34 PM
Yeah. That's kinda what I was thinking and was wondering if that could happen with that kind of external pulling on the glass.

Non issue in my opinion but your mileage may vary. :)

I was just having fun here but never an issue.

W.

Bentley
07-02-2019, 04:49 PM

W.

That is an interesting way to “hang” the bike

mass_biker
07-02-2019, 04:58 PM
Great feedback all - I'm going to have get one for the times I need room for more than 1 in my car...

berserk87
07-02-2019, 06:05 PM

W.

I was referring to the case of the guy hanging onto the rack with his bike, not just the bike weight alone. I was curious as to whether the rear window could pop out if the dude was yanking on the bike he was sitting on while on the rack. It's speculative and not a real-world issue - but for the social media and marketing posts. Pretty much my mind taking things on another tangent.

572cv
07-02-2019, 06:49 PM
My seasucker has worked exactly as advertised. It pops on in a few minutes when I need it. I got the cable lock and this stainless steel doohickey that provides a locking point on a rolled up window. Not totally secure, for sure, but it has been just fine on road trips where you have to stop for lunch or go to the grocery store. Seal of approval from northern Vermont.

pasadena
07-02-2019, 07:55 PM

W.

agree the cups would not be the failure point.
glass wouldn't pop out, it would shatter. kind of dumb to do that.

Even though glass is tempered and used as a structural element in cars, putting a load on it like that could bend the tracks, break the mechanism (4Runner has a power rear window) and shatter the glass.

pasadena
07-02-2019, 07:56 PM

W.

FJ62?
Nice!
I have a FZJ80

54ny77
07-02-2019, 09:17 PM
Good to know. Never a problem with a vacumn seal?

My seasucker has worked exactly as advertised. It pops on in a few minutes when I need it. I got the cable lock and this stainless steel doohickey that provides a locking point on a rolled up window. Not totally secure, for sure, but it has been just fine on road trips where you have to stop for lunch or go to the grocery store. Seal of approval from northern Vermont.

berserk87
07-02-2019, 09:19 PM
agree the cups would not be the failure point.
glass wouldn't pop out, it would shatter. kind of dumb to do that.

Even though glass is tempered and used as a structural element in cars, putting a load on it like that could bend the tracks, break the mechanism (4Runner has a power rear window) and shatter the glass.

My point never was that the cups would fail. I must not have been clear - I was wondering if the weight and movement of the rider could dislodge the glass, with cups attached.

Your point about the glass shattering is the likely outcome, if there was a glass-related failure. For some reason I didn't think about that.

572cv
07-03-2019, 05:36 AM
Good to know. Never a problem with a vacumn seal?

No. Vacuum-seal of approval :)

The little plunger you use to make the seal shows orange if the seal is slipping, stays black if it is strong. You can tell at a glance if it is slipping. Once in a while, I have to do a better job setting the cup on a clean surface , which is just me being a little too quick the first time. This would be when the seal didn’t hold overnight, for example.

djdj
07-03-2019, 06:36 AM
Do the suction cups harm the paint or clear coat in any way? Asking for an OCD friend.

William
07-03-2019, 07:16 AM
Do the suction cups harm the paint or clear coat in any way? Asking for an OCD friend.

I never had an issue on any thing I mounted them on.

W.

William
07-03-2019, 07:18 AM
FJ62?
Nice!
I have a FZJ80

60! Nice to have another Cruiser head on the forum!:cool:

William

fmradio516
07-03-2019, 10:33 AM
Could I buy your landcruiser?? in the market!

wallymann
08-17-2021, 01:09 PM
assembly pretty straightforward and seems very well made.
mounts feel rock-solid when tugging on fitted bikes.
placed @ roof/trunk, still too tall to clear garage-entry. :-(
need to stay aware of low-hanging branches when driving around the 'hood.
freeway test run to 85 suggested a non-trivial reduction in observed MPG.
in general car drove fine (bmw 5-series) just needed more right foot that normal.

wgp
08-18-2021, 09:57 AM
Great rack - I love mine. But the caveats noted throughout this thread remain worthy of consideration for your particular needs/situation.

iPaul
08-18-2021, 05:51 PM
Mine have been great and a fan. I go through cars quickly and do large amount of commuting, these fit my needs and in the long run saves me money. I do take care cleaning the mounting points and carry a water sprayer to keep things moist. If heading out in the morning after a frost, allow time to scrape the ice away and off you go.
I did recently experience a pad where the orange plunger popped out. Two was still plenty to keep a bike in place but still not sure why. Make sure roof is nice and clean.

nine
08-18-2021, 10:19 PM
Mass Biker - are you near great barrington per chance? i have one that i am looking to give away. i did have an issue with one of the suction cups not staying put on my Honda fit…. nothing ever came loose, but i had to re-suction mid transit on a few occasions.

fogrider
08-18-2021, 10:49 PM
Mass Biker - are you near great barrington per chance? i have one that i am looking to give away. i did have an issue with one of the suction cups not staying put on my Honda fit…. nothing ever came loose, but i had to re-suction mid transit on a few occasions.

you can get a replacement pump...