PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale Carbon Topstone

Zee
06-20-2019, 09:12 AM
Big things, including rear *KingPin Suspension* and connectivity for a Cdale phone app... (https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Products/ProductCategory.aspx?nid=149a564a-64c9-4fa8-9cd3-01bae955bd91)

Elefantino
06-20-2019, 09:13 AM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=239052

madsciencenow
06-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Usual Cannondale proprietary BS and big-bike manufacturer marketing BS to go along with it. I don’t hate them for doing what they do but it’s of little interest to me because it’s the proverbial boy crying wolf. Maybe if I went for a test ride I’d feel different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macaroon
06-20-2019, 02:53 PM
It's a real shame, Cannondale always used to produce pretty good looking bikes.

The new CAAD13, System Six, and now this Topstone, are some of the worst bikes I've seen recently.

The shape of the frame and it's lines are awful, and then it's combined with such a poor paint scheme.

Trek are absolutely miles ahead with their new Crockett

https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/2020-Trek-Crockett-2.jpg

zross312
06-20-2019, 02:55 PM
Obviously I've never even seen the bike, so I'm just going on the initial reporting on it. I think the suspension design is really smart, and has a lot of merit. There's absolutely value in having suspension on a gravel bike. But it's not enough, imo, to justify a full suspension design like the Niner MCR. This is a nice compromise, it's light and unobtrusive while (seemingly) providing the *right* amount of extra cush. So that's cool. I personally like the geo a lot too, it's more aggressive than most gravel bikes while also seeming well suited for 650b. Most gravel bikes - even gravel "race" bikes - are just too upright for me.

However - and this is a huge however - the proprietary BB/crank/rear wheel dish makes this a non-starter for me. I'm suspicious about future availability of replacement parts in the long term, and I don't want to get my current wheels re-dished just to use them. On top of that, rear chearance looks very sub-par - the bike is specced with 37mm tires, and I wouldn't try to stuff in anything bigger (especially if there's a chance of mud). So if rear clearance is bad anyway, what's the point of all the BB/crank/wheel craziness! Taking 5mm off the chainstay length isn't even close to worth it, imo.

Last, they seem to have dropped the aluminum versions entirely. This is super disappointing, those bikes were possibly the best value gravel bikes available.

zross312
06-20-2019, 02:57 PM
Well, the CAAD13 isn't even out yet, so I'll reserve judgment. But yeah, the paint job and color choice on these is just horrendous. Looks like it was mocked up in about 5 mins.

It's a real shame, Cannondale always used to produce pretty good looking bikes.

The new CAAD13, System Six, and now this Topstone, are some of the worst bikes I've seen recently.

The shape of the frame and it's lines are awful, and then it's combined with such a poor paint scheme.

Trek are absolutely miles ahead with their new Crockett

https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/2020-Trek-Crockett-2.jpg

R3awak3n
06-20-2019, 03:36 PM
https://www.cannondale.com/~/media/Images/Dorel/Products/Bikes/C15300M-C15300M10LG/Variants/C15300M10LG/images/mlolizpagucnvta7w0hk.ashx?mw=1000

I dunno, I don't think this is bad at all.

Jaybee
06-20-2019, 03:40 PM
https://www.cannondale.com/~/media/Images/Dorel/Products/Bikes/C15300M-C15300M10LG/Variants/C15300M10LG/images/mlolizpagucnvta7w0hk.ashx?mw=1000

I think the stripe is awkwardly placed and some of the color combos are either blah or dated or both, but I have no issue with the tube shapes. Or the dropped stays which are part of the suspension system.

R3awak3n
06-20-2019, 03:53 PM
yeah, I kind of like the dropped stay. Yeah color is whatever and dated but its not terrible... Going by the comments on this thread, this is the worst bike ever and far from that.

charliedid
06-20-2019, 03:55 PM
I don't hate it

bcroslin
06-20-2019, 04:13 PM
All of the new Cannondale's look great IMO. The new Evo and Caad13 look similar to the Topstone. I'm a huge fan of the new Treadwell.

I'll likely get to test ride the Topstone this weekend. I'll report back.

macaroon
06-20-2019, 04:19 PM
Haha it's sooo ****.

At a glance, it looks like an E-Bike due to the fat downtube and the fact it's so ugly.

They've obviously kept the the Cannondale logo tucked away discretely on the top tube out of sheer embarrassment.

zross312
06-20-2019, 04:52 PM
Agree that the green is the best colorway, but the neon logo and the bottle green stripe clash terribly. The paint and color selections just seem clumsy and poorly considered to me. But I definitely don't think it's the worst bike ever, not at all. I do think that they made some design decisions which immediately popped out to me as unfortunate. If they simply used normal BB/crank/wheel standards (which, since literally every other manufacturer does that, must be possible), I'd be a fan. And if it did that with a bit more rear clearance too, I'd be a BIG fan.

yeah, I kind of like the dropped stay. Yeah color is whatever and dated but its not terrible... Going by the comments on this thread, this is the worst bike ever and far from that.

R3awak3n
06-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Pretty much Id rather ride my OPEN... or get one of those new Stigmatas in yellow

JAGI410
06-20-2019, 05:08 PM
The green stripe on the seat tube is at the wrong angle compared to the stripes on fork and downtube and now I can't unsee that. #OCD

gomango
06-20-2019, 05:17 PM
I don't hate it

Neither do I.

When it's covered with silt, class 5 slime or mud the paint will be of small consequence.

edit: I'll just stick with my BMC Monstercross.

old fat man
06-20-2019, 07:48 PM
Proprietary BB
Proprietary wheel dishing
Make believe thru axles design
Uninspired paint
Whacky geometry with high bb and short chainstay make no sense for gravel or touring

Swiping LEFT, thanks

yinzerniner
06-20-2019, 08:36 PM
Swiping right, thanks

So you don't like it but you still want to sleep with it (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Swipe%20right)?

charliedid
06-20-2019, 08:39 PM
Proprietary BB
Uninspired paint
Whacky geometry with high bb and short chainstay make no sense for gravel or touring

Swiping right, thanks

Whacky is the new stodgy

CSTRider
06-20-2019, 08:59 PM
I wonder why Cannondale didn't add another "Kingpin" type joint in the bottom bracket area:
- if you removed both "Kingpins", you could separate the front and rear ends and possibly fit the bike into an S&S suitcase. This would appeal to the growing groadies who travel for adventure and gravel races.
- If either the front or rear end got damaged, you could easily replace it.
- Cannondale could even design and sell rear ends with different degrees of stiffness, allowing riders to tailor their ride to suit needs or challenge.

AngryScientist
06-20-2019, 09:09 PM
Haha. When I look at some of these new bikes I feel like I’ve been like a prisoner locked in solitary confinement prison for 30 years and getting my first glimpse of life on the “oitside”.

Clancy
06-20-2019, 09:15 PM
Now imagine that frame design and suspension built by...... oh let’s say Moots or Seven, out of titanium.

Now that would be the ultimate gravel bike.

Elefantino
06-20-2019, 09:21 PM
Now imagine that frame design and suspension built by...... oh let’s say Moots or Seven, out of titanium.

Now that would be the ultimate gravel bike.

Or Serotta.

colker
06-20-2019, 09:26 PM
Now; is it going to crack?

old fat man
06-20-2019, 09:34 PM
So you don't like it but you still want to sleep with it (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Swipe%20right)?

Haha, guess I want to swipe left...

old fat man
06-20-2019, 09:39 PM

My Cannondale with no moving pivots on the frame creaks terribly. Riding through grit and grime, I'd expect this one to do the same

glepore
06-21-2019, 08:41 AM
Hmmm. I'd rather have my slate with a canyon seatpost...which I do.

That said, this is a lighter option, but the suspension is still at the wrong end, if you need suspension.

bathsalts
06-21-2019, 09:27 AM
jeez, what a bunch of haters. if it isn't steel with a level top tube its garbage!

thankfully no one outside of PL cares. you all put the grouch in retrogrouch.

mflaherty37
06-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Ha ha, I'm 2 out of 3 for cracked Cannondale's. They do have a great lifetime warranty however.

MattTuck
06-21-2019, 09:33 AM
I wonder why Cannondale didn't add another "Kingpin" type joint in the bottom bracket area:
- if you removed both "Kingpins", you could separate the front and rear ends and possibly fit the bike into an S&S suitcase. This would appeal to the growing groadies who travel for adventure and gravel races.

That is actually a pretty cool idea.

theboucher
06-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Am I missing something with the CAAD13? I haven’t seen anything about it yet.

yinzerniner
06-21-2019, 01:11 PM
Am I missing something with the CAAD13? I haven’t seen anything about it yet.

17 pages of nutso goodness, headed straight to your veins....
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=155723

That being said, it closely mirrors the silhouette of the new Supersix, which closely mirrors the silhouette of basically every all-around race bike: dropped seatstays, d-shaped post, deep but thin faced headtube, big downtube, discs or direct mount brakes, etc etc.

theboucher
06-21-2019, 04:14 PM
17 pages of nutso goodness, headed straight to your veins....
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=155723

That being said, it closely mirrors the silhouette of the new Supersix, which closely mirrors the silhouette of basically every all-around race bike: dropped seatstays, d-shaped post, deep but thin faced headtube, big downtube, discs or direct mount brakes, etc etc.

Alas.

I’m sure it’s great, but then I’m still very happy with my CAAD10.

Spoker
06-21-2019, 07:27 PM
Double diamond is fine with me, but I will pay big bucks for a new back.

fignon's barber
06-23-2019, 10:52 AM

It looks like it's going uphill, even though it's on flat ground.

bcroslin
06-23-2019, 12:33 PM
I test rode a Topstone yesterday and it’s a cool concept. The linkage and suspension works great and doesn’t exhibit any of the bob like YBB. I just bought a carbon disc Synapse that I can squeeze 32’s on for gravel but had I not I would have thought seriously about the Topstone. I wonder where else the Kingpin suspension will show up. Could be cool on a cross country mtb.

Matthew
06-23-2019, 06:31 PM
It may be a great riding bike. But it's hideous. Regardless of manufacturer, I've never liked the looks of bikes where the seat stays sit so low on the seat tube. Just looks wrong to me but that's just my opinion. And the Super six aero bikes are awful too. At least they still have the Evo. Guess I'm just more old school.

jemdet
06-23-2019, 07:11 PM
It looks like it's going uphill, even though it's on flat ground.

40% of the way to a wheelie.

Can't get over the wheel dishing and bottom bracket. Come on.

bcroslin
06-23-2019, 07:41 PM
It may be a great riding bike. But it's hideous. Regardless of manufacturer, I've never liked the looks of bikes where the seat stays sit so low on the seat tube. Just looks wrong to me but that's just my opinion. And the Super six aero bikes are awful too. At least they still have the Evo. Guess I'm just more old school.

Just wait until you see the new evo, you’re going to hate it!

Matthew
06-23-2019, 08:50 PM
Figures. Their last decent looking bike. Post a pic if you've got one of the new Evo.

happycampyer
06-23-2019, 10:41 PM
This bike with a Lefty would be a lot of fun.

Heisenberg
06-24-2019, 07:03 AM
Proprietary BB
Uninspired paint

Swiping LEFT, thanks

this, plus static 73 deg seat angle through all sizes? ***?

they’re supposing their 55mm rake fork is to make the bike fit better. betting it’s just to save money on frame molds.

the bike is a marketing project with too many solutions to problems no one had.

do better, bike industry.

Davist
06-24-2019, 07:07 AM

definitely..

So wasn't the Slate Cannondale's gravel bike? Or is it alll of them: Synapse SE, Topstone, SuperX, CAADX, Slate? I have no idea, or are they all with micro-niches I'm too unrefined to understand...

sparky33
06-24-2019, 09:08 AM
You are reading my mind, sir.

Why is C'Dale trading hand comfort for butt comfort when they can have both?
Update the lefty Oliver for a single crown and slap it on the linky-do Topstone. Smooth traction-y goodness.

MattTuck
07-01-2019, 08:14 PM
Here's a conspiracy theory I came up with on my ride.

Dirty Kanza was earlier this month. ~20 days before the launch of this bike.

You had 3 WorldTour pros from Team EF at the event, riding Cannondales. You had Ted King, defending champion, riding a cannondale.

So, why not launch it at Dirty Kanza?

Lots of possible reasons, obviously. Did they get early feedback that their top tier riders weren't fans? Were they concerned about the durability of the frame and new King Pin design, and didn't want to risk an embarrassing failure in such a high profile event? Were they not ready in time?

Something is amiss, because if they wanted to make a splash with this bike, Kanza would have been the place to do it.

Heisenberg
07-01-2019, 08:45 PM

You had 3 WorldTour pros from Team EF at the event, riding Cannondales. You had Ted King, defending champion, riding a cannondale.

Lots of possible reasons, obviously. Did they get early feedback that their top tier riders weren't fans? Were they concerned about the durability of the frame and new King Pin design, and didn't want to risk an embarrassing failure in such a high profile event? Were they not ready in time?

Something is amiss, because if they wanted to make a splash with this bike, Kanza would have been the place to do it.

it could've been something as simple as production not lining up with top-tier riders at the world's biggest gravel event. when cutting things close **** goes awry, always.

bcroslin
07-01-2019, 08:51 PM
Tin foil hat aside, my guess is they wanted to launch at Kanza and the bike wasn’t ready and the EF dudes didn’t get a bike in time to make sure it would work. Also, from watching the Rapha short, I think the EF dudes were very careful about overhyping their effort. The marketing dept at Cannondale we’re likely told to stay away from Kanza. But honestly, who knows.

MattTuck
07-02-2019, 09:06 AM
it could've been something as simple as production not lining up with top-tier riders at the world's biggest gravel event. when cutting things close **** goes awry, always.

Tin foil hat aside, my guess is they wanted to launch at Kanza and the bike wasn’t ready and the EF dudes didn’t get a bike in time to make sure it would work. Also, from watching the Rapha short, I think the EF dudes were very careful about overhyping their effort. The marketing dept at Cannondale we’re likely told to stay away from Kanza. But honestly, who knows.

Yep, both of these are good points.

I mentioned in the Kanza thread that the race is like rolling the dice with regards to equipment problems. even if you have the best fitness, a few inopportune flats can scuttle your chances. So, maybe not the best time to hype a bike, even if the frame performs flawlessly, when a couple flats can make it look foolish.

Goes to my point about why WorldTour teams are unlikely to pursue unsupported gravel racing seriously. Too much left to chance.

TimD
07-02-2019, 11:13 AM
There were multiple instances available for demo at NEMBAfest. I thought they looked good. I didn't ride one, but some of my buddies did, and they liked them, generally.

But what do I know?

jb_11
07-02-2019, 11:26 AM
Looks like Lachlan Morton rode one for GBDuro.