PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing 650 B wheels

Birddog
06-20-2019, 08:11 AM
I've been reading the other thread about 650B wheels and have considered for the last couple years switching. My question is what reasonably priced wheel sets are people using to just get their feet wet in this size. I don't want zoot wheels, just some reliable, modestly priced alloy wheels. Oh yeah, tire sources would be helpful too.
TIA

oldpotatoe
06-20-2019, 08:13 AM
I've been reading the other thread about 650B wheels and have considered for the last couple years switching. My question is what reasonably priced wheel sets are people using to just get their feet wet in this size. I don't want zoot wheels, just some reliable, modestly priced alloy wheels. Oh yeah, tire sources would be helpful too.
TIA

If nothing pops up, give me a shout, i can build you a set using a variety of Velocity rims..

https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims#sizes-tab

A23, A23 OC, Aileron, Atlas, Dyad, Quill.....

DT, Bitex, shimano hubs...

brewsmith
06-20-2019, 08:14 AM
Not sure what modestly priced is for you, but I went with the Pacenti Brevet set and could not be happier with the looks, quality or performance. $399 shipped, and sometimes they run sales

palincss
06-20-2019, 10:31 AM
By "modern" standards, the absolutely top shelf set of 650B wheels I had built for my Weigle -- SonDelux SL front, White Industries MI5 rear, Pacenti Brevet rims -- qualify as "modestly priced". However, since I've been using 650B wheels since around 2005 this isn't even remotely like "getting my feet wet."

zross312
06-20-2019, 02:51 PM
I'm running a Praxis Al24 wheelset. Great experience so far - light(ish), smooth, reliable, easy tubeless setup. Give them a look!

TIA

donevwil
06-20-2019, 03:04 PM
For your purposes, and assuming 12mm TA works, there is a reasonably priced, perfectly functional set in the classified (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=238726&highlight=650b).

BikeNY
06-21-2019, 09:26 AM
Definitely go for a used set to get your feet wet. Look in the classifieds here, on Facebook and of course on Ebay. I set of nice used 27.5 MTB XC wheels are perfect for this. Of course you need to consider your axle configuration. I've seen alot of 142x12mm rear & 100x15mm front sets for sale as the MTB market goes to Boost.

gavingould
06-21-2019, 09:00 PM
used is good, especially for just checking it out, as mentioned above those for sale in the forum here.
i went with a set of Hunt Adventure Sport Disc as they checked all my boxes; thru axle and convertible among axle standards, tubeless, decent price, not anchors, subtle branding. so far they've been good to me.

steveoz
06-22-2019, 10:08 PM
Are you doing a 650b conversion (rim brake)on a road bike or going disc mnt bike?