PDA

View Full Version : Scrapping road shoes and pedals

d_douglas
06-19-2019, 11:11 PM
I admit it, I am vain. I used Shimano Ultegra pedals for years, then decided that Speedplays looked cool and I had never owned a set.

I bought some and they work great, but I am pondering getting rid of road shoes and pedals altogether in favour of some time ATACs (my fave MTB pedal) and some carbon MTB shoes.

I know that this has been discussed to death but if I am a 210lb recreational rider who rarely rides more than three hrs at a time, is there any need for slippery soled cycling shoes? I have some Giro Codes that seem pretty stiff for my needs.

Sell the Speedplays and Sworks shoes?

Veloo
06-19-2019, 11:42 PM
I'm going through the same thing.
I have very stiff carbon road shoes and Keywin pedals - a great combo. However walking is a PITA.
I just got some uber stiff Luck MTB shoes and XT trail pedals. I think I've dialed in the right cleat position and not seeing any point in going back to slippery road shoes. I love being able to walk like a normal human being even when out on the road bike.
I'm not doing a TT so the extra weight and wind resistance of the lugged soles aren't ever a consideration.

Drmojo
06-20-2019, 01:31 AM
You will never Er Look back
I had the first white look Pedals in 1989
Look Keo
Speedplay ( 6 pairs)
now no need for “ efficiency” of extreme power
yada yada
Now 6 pairs of Crank Brother Candy and the double
sided ones
And gasp! Flat pedals on my Traut
No more slipping and sliding
No bizarre and silly cleat covers yet another
form of silly walking.
The practical value of walking is the most
important factor for me

FlashUNC
06-20-2019, 03:58 AM
Give me comfortable, well-made, power-efficient road shoes that are maybe slightly awkward to walk in any day. They're purpose built for what you're doing. I tend to think if you're walking any significant distance on a road ride, something has gone seriously wrong.

Now groading/cross/mtn biking is a different story.

Peter P.
06-20-2019, 04:58 AM
I think Drmojo has said it all.

There are some benefits to ATB shoes that road shoes will never match.

There are no drawbacks to using ATB shoes and pedals on a road bike, but you'll have to keep constant watch over your shoulder for the fashion police!

You wanna live life like that? :eek:

mcteague
06-20-2019, 06:04 AM
I doubt there is any real efficiency differences between road and mt bike pedal/shoe combos for normal riders. What I don't like with SPD setups is the slight side to side rocking I get. I much prefer the solid, connected feel I get with the SPD-SL road pedals. If I do a ride where I think walking may be involved I swap back to the old XT pedals and mt bike shoes. But, that rarely happens.

Tim

OtayBW
06-20-2019, 06:10 AM
I like my road pedals and use cleat covers when I need to walk (hopefully, not too much walking will be done when I'm out riding!). No problemo. Well, the only problemo is that nobody makes my cleat covers anymore, and so they are now mostly Shoe Goo....

merckx
06-20-2019, 06:51 AM
There is a void in the market for a svelte SPD shoe that eschews traction lugs and thick rubber soles. I am waiting for the introduction of a walkable, light, comfortable shoe before I bin my Sidi road shoes. The recreational, gravel, gran fondo, rando athletes would gobble these up. There is a similar need for a single sided lightweight SPD pedal. I know that Shimano offers one, but some additional choices would bring the technology forward.

charliedid
06-20-2019, 06:54 AM
I admit it, I am vain. I used Shimano Ultegra pedals for years, then decided that Speedplays looked cool and I had never owned a set.

I bought some and they work great, but I am pondering getting rid of road shoes and pedals altogether in favour of some time ATACs (my fave MTB pedal) and some carbon MTB shoes.

I know that this has been discussed to death but if I am a 210lb recreational rider who rarely rides more than three hrs at a time, is there any need for slippery soled cycling shoes? I have some Giro Codes that seem pretty stiff for my needs.

I think it's fine for you. Just don't forget to get a pair of basketball shorts and a baseball cap you wear backwards.

The only thing I find is that road shoes put you in a better position angle etc. for riding and SPD are flatter and better for walking. I do notice it on the bike. That said I did it for years and I tour and commute a lot so I am used to both. But for a straight up road ride I want road shoes and pedals.

Bentley
06-20-2019, 07:14 AM
I use MTB pedals on most of my rides. Makes walking around way easier. With a stiff shoe I am not sure you will notice any difference in performance. Get ready for abuse from the hard core roadies, but I have converted some of my friends over

Ray

mktng
06-20-2019, 07:21 AM
time atac's are definitely go to pedal.
i would, and plan to, have them on all my bikes. even the "fast" road bike.

choke
06-20-2019, 07:39 AM
If they're good enough for this guy, they're probably good enough for us mere mortals...

oldpotatoe
06-20-2019, 07:49 AM

Do you walk around a lot in bike shoes? If so, sure, swap the shoes and pedals..if not..but if ya really love the ATACS, sure..

Wayne77
06-20-2019, 07:50 AM
As others have implied, stiff carbon soled mtb shoes make it a real option. I’ve done it for long solo training rides, and real like it, but for racing Im sticking with road shoes. They just feel a little more secure to me for sprints, hard out of saddle efforts, etc.

BikeNY
06-20-2019, 07:53 AM
I've got Time ATAC pedals on all my bikes, and a number of different shoes with Time cleats mounted. I like not having to worry about what pedals are on the bike I want to ride, and just pick shoes based on what I plan to do on the bike.

I have a stiff soled minimal tread shoe for spirited rides, a more lugged but still relatively stiff shoe for MTB or gravel rides, a lace up casual shoe for whatever, and then a set of cold weather shoes.

Edit: I should mention I don't race or partake in any fast group rides of any sort(well maybe in the woods). Most of my rides are casual paced and solo, but I do like to do long 5+ hour rides when I have time.

Birddog
06-20-2019, 07:56 AM
If I had it to do over again, I would just have stiff soled Mtn Bike shoes for the road. I'm a geezer and my geezer pals agree.

pdonk
06-20-2019, 08:16 AM
When I am road riding, I rarely get off the bike to walk. I am the opposite, rode time atacs with sidi mtb shoes for years, switched 4 years ago to road shoes and pedals and would not go back. The bonts and lakes with dura ace pedals have changed my foot comfort and connection to the bike in such a positive way.

I am close to your size and riding style - 50-80k road rides are my typical distances.

David Tollefson
06-20-2019, 08:33 AM
There is a void in the market for a svelte SPD shoe that eschews traction lugs and thick rubber soles. I am waiting for the introduction of a walkable, light, comfortable shoe before I bin my Sidi road shoes. The recreational, gravel, gran fondo, rando athletes would gobble these up. There is a similar need for a single sided lightweight SPD pedal. I know that Shimano offers one, but some additional choices would bring the technology forward.

Shimano may have your ticket: Here (https://bikerumor.com/2019/06/13/shimano-rx8-pares-down-to-the-essentials-for-super-light-gravel-race-shoes/)from BikeRumor.

ColonelJLloyd
06-20-2019, 08:44 AM
I've never owned road specific shoes. I have carbon soled Lake MX237s and Shimano A600 or A520 pedals. Pure road rides, gravel rides, bike-packing, mixed-surface touring. . . I don't feel I'm compromising anything.

druptight
06-20-2019, 09:08 AM
I've never owned road specific shoes. I have carbon soled Lake MX237s and Shimano A600 or A520 pedals. Pure road rides, gravel rides, bike-packing, mixed-surface touring. . . I don't feel I'm compromising anything.

Shimano A600 are my jam as well. They've got a nice platform from a stiffness/connectedness perspective, but they allow you to use your SPDs. win win.

Topical: https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/shimano-a600-pedal-review/

Hindmost
06-20-2019, 09:57 AM
...There is a void in the market for a svelte SPD shoe that eschews traction lugs and thick rubber soles...

I enjoyed using mountain bike shoes on my roadish bike's especially during the winter; the shoes are warmer and drier and good for stomping around on the ground. I just switched back to road shoes the other day (cold wet Spring here) and the road shoes feel lighter and easier to spin the cranks around--can the shoe weight make that much difference?

hummus_aquinas
06-20-2019, 10:05 AM
I'm all for ditching three-bolt road shoes and haven't had any since at least 2012, all for reasons listed above mine.
The real game changer/mindfrick is showing up to a shop ride in flat pedals and chacos and ditching them to go to the beach (up sepulveda, into santa monica, secret beach in malibu).

ColonelJLloyd
06-20-2019, 10:07 AM
can the shoe weight make that much difference?

Makes good sense to me.

Just ask M. Piedlourde.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/R9d2Y1We-d0/hqdefault.jpg

tony_mm
06-20-2019, 10:07 AM

Time ATAC and Bont Vaypor XC shoes! The stiffest MTB shoes on the market. Great combo!

jmoore
06-26-2019, 08:38 AM
I think it's fine for you. Just don't forget to get a pair of basketball shorts and a baseball cap you wear backwards.

Cargo shorts will work too

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

572cv
06-26-2019, 09:46 AM
I walk around a lot in bike shoes, especially when traveling and seeing the sights. So, I went the MTB pedal and shoe route, and they've been fine for pretty much any riding I've done. Maybe they lose a little something to a great road shoe pedal combo, but on balance, I think I'm coming out ahead, for my purposes.

My set up is Time ATAC12 and Sidi Dominator. The float range in the ATACs has been perfect for my knees.

AJosiahK
06-26-2019, 10:28 AM
Ive done that for years, so much easier

Though my (stiffer) mtb shoes arent as comfortable as a set of road shoes I found for a deal a while back.

Time ATAC for life!

JLQ
06-26-2019, 11:43 AM
I've always used Sidi Dominators for road and mtb but recently upgraded to a pair of Sidi Dragons I found new on the bay. They have a significantly softer rubber than Dominators, and the rubber bottoms are all replaceable. I'd call them downright pleasant to walk in. Leaves me no reason to run anything but 2 bolt SPDs on all my bikes.