PDA

View Full Version : Two riders caught doping at New York gran fondo

fiamme red
06-19-2019, 05:50 PM
https://gfny.com/doping19/

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/06/two-riders-caught-doping-at-new-york-gran-fondo/

Two riders have tested positive for EPO at the GFNY World Championship in New York, organisers announced on Tuesday.

Colombian Felipe Mendez and Argentinian Gabriel Raff both returned samples containing recombinant EPO in out-of-competition tests held in the lead up to the May 19 gran fondo.

Organisers claim that Mendez also “tried to claim his twin brother’s identity” during the doping control and then “showed up at the race start with a ‘broken’ wristband, which seems like an attempt to further hide his identity”. Mendez finished the day in 71st place while Raff was 25th...:rolleyes:

MattTuck
06-19-2019, 06:00 PM
I like the creativity. Not as good as Tyler Hamilton's chimeric twin... But better than tainted beef.

Philosophical question: is this evidence that the amateurs have been influenced by the pros and consider doping just part of the sport or that humans will cheat, and pros are just as human as amateurs?

Clean39T
06-19-2019, 06:35 PM
But there's no prize money? Just. Why???

donevwil
06-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Gran Fondo New York World Championship? Gran fondos have world championships? Appears this is some kind of GFNY series with fondos all over the world.

I imagine these guys were doping for a real race at some future date and simply got nabbed here. Funny stuff.

charliedid
06-19-2019, 07:18 PM
winners

Matthew
06-19-2019, 07:40 PM
I dope for the local Tuesday night world championships.

robertbb
06-19-2019, 07:50 PM
I raced the inaugural GFNY Jerusalem last year (a week before the opening 3 stages of the Giro were in Israel). They have GFNY events all around the world (not yet here in Australia) and the top finishers get invited to the championchip in NYC.

Anyway. Gotta tell ya, I'm not exactly unfit... and was with the lead group for the first 85km... before a few of the guys took off at the front in a way that seemed supremely unnatural.

charliedid
06-19-2019, 07:57 PM
I dope for the local Tuesday night world championships.

Sweet

I started doping to win my commute

PQJ
06-19-2019, 07:58 PM
Philosophical question: is this evidence that the amateurs have been influenced by the pros and consider doping just part of the sport or that humans will cheat, and pros are just as human as amateurs?

Both

Mr. Pink
06-19-2019, 09:55 PM
But there's no prize money? Just. Why???

This is what I always ask when a certain dude shows up at our group rides and is just aggro from the moment he parks until he leaves. Dude, it's not a race.

54ny77
06-20-2019, 04:03 AM
it must've been the water. or the pastrami.

tainted i say, tainted!

ERK55
06-20-2019, 06:15 AM
This is what I always ask when a certain dude shows up at our group rides and is just aggro from the moment he parks until he leaves. Dude, it's not a race.

“aggro”??

ERK55
06-20-2019, 06:18 AM
Never mind (I used the universal resource Urban Dictionary).
But shouldn’t it be “aggre” then?

oldpotatoe
06-20-2019, 06:28 AM
Never mind (I used the universal resource Urban Dictionary).
But shouldn’t it be “aggre” then?

:)

cderalow
06-20-2019, 07:04 AM
i suspect these guys are doping in general, and just happen to get caught because GFNY is actually a proactive amateur level event looking to promote the concept of a clean sport.

Pretty sure they've caught more than a handful of people over the years theyve been having the ride.

it's a neat one as you start on the George Washington Bridge in NYC.

TheseGoTo11
06-20-2019, 09:16 AM
Dope testing for a gran fondo!

trener1
06-20-2019, 09:24 AM
I belive there are actually prizes, also for the front guys this is very much a real race, it was one by a pro MTB'r this year.

fiamme red
06-20-2019, 01:27 PM
But there's no prize money? Just. Why???There was a $10,000 prize to the first rider who broke 4 hours: http://www.granfondoguide.com/Contents/Index/4666/gfny-nyc-to-offer-$10000-purse-to-break-4-hours.

Jeremiah Bishop (a very accomplished mountain biker) finished first this year, in 4:19, so no one got the prize: http://www.jeremiahbishop.com/my-first-gfny-world-championship/.

sitzmark
06-20-2019, 01:35 PM
I belive there are actually prizes, also for the front guys this is very much a real race, it was one by a pro MTB'r this year.

Unless it has changed in last year 1st male/female are awarded a new DeRosa bike, other minor prizes, and IIRC expenses paid participation in another non-US NYGF.

pasadena
06-20-2019, 01:44 PM
in some countries, amateur road racing is essentially all done in GF's.
Italy, for example, has over 100 GF's per year.

In the US, it's thought of as some tourist ride. In the rest of the world, it's L'etape - it's the sport side of cycling, where you can just finish or race.

Same thinking as the Ironman circuit.

kingpin75s
06-20-2019, 03:15 PM
Sweet

I started doping to win my commute

You have to.

Did you see the calves on that Cat 6 Pathlete?

charliedid
06-20-2019, 03:19 PM
You have to.

Did you see the calves on that Cat 6 Pathlete?

Not to mention the deep section carbon rims. I really need an upgrade.

Bob Ross
06-20-2019, 06:17 PM
it's a neat one as you start on the George Washington Bridge in NYC.

And then after two miles you're on the exact same routes that every single half-serious recreational cyclist in the NYC area does by rote nearly every weekend. I guess if you don't live here it's an awesome event, but for the locals the dudes in the green GFNY jerseys are basically advertising "I'M A SUCKER!"

...and, apparently, a doper.

oldpotatoe
06-21-2019, 07:19 AM
Icarus..and how the guy tried to make doping for a GF 'legit'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk0NWKUySIQ

Johnnysmooth
06-21-2019, 11:54 AM
Since my hematocrit crashed with the onset of disease and the meds I'm on (sits around 30, use to be mid 40's).

Have asked my oncologist repeatedly for EPO but declines every time. I need to find an oncologist that understands my despair! I hate being passed on hills.

Hawker
06-25-2019, 11:14 PM
No names....but I believe there could be some forum doping here. There are a few (they know who they are) who do a lot more posting than the rest of us. And you can tell they aren't even breathing hard.

mtechnica
06-25-2019, 11:21 PM
Does Imperial Stout and marijuana edibles count as doping? I'm asking for a friend.

unterhausen
06-26-2019, 12:21 PM
Have asked my oncologist repeatedly for EPO but declines every time. I need to find an oncologist that understands my despair! I hate being passed on hills.
one of the nicest people I ever met died of lung cancer a couple of years ago. He was an amazing cyclist too, before chemo. Even when he was on chemo, he could drop me in between sessions. I asked him why he didn't take epo, since it was invented for cancer victims. He says it promotes cancer, so no oncologist would ever prescribe it. I have often wondered if some of these dopers aren't playing with fire.

Black Dog
06-26-2019, 01:33 PM
;)No names....but I believe there could be some forum doping here. There are a few (they know who they are) who do a lot more posting than the rest of us. And you can tell they aren't even breathing hard.

I will stand by Clean39T since his name implies all you need to know...shame on you for suggesting that there is any dishonesty in cycling (forums)...balderdash good sir!!! :no: ;)

colker
06-26-2019, 08:22 PM
Doping is also a hobby it seems. It´s about the drugs.

jtbadge
06-27-2019, 03:33 PM
<offensive quote removed>

Can we not?

Keith A
06-27-2019, 03:53 PM
<offensive quote removed>Let's not drag politics into this discussion.

Heisenberg
06-27-2019, 03:54 PM
Let's not drag politics into this discussion.

politics? that's some straight up racism, but cool.

FlashUNC
06-27-2019, 03:59 PM
<offensive quote removed>

The Paceline Forum is NOT . . .

• For persons to express negative feelings for persons of any gender, race, religion, national origin, etc. The Paceline will not tolerate bigotry in any form, including posts intended to incite expressions of bigotry from others.

Hey mods....time to put the rules into action.

Skenry
06-28-2019, 07:41 AM
Sensitive group. Maybe they have an addiction to said drugs, they should be protected and given clean needles. Maybe they just like drugs. Maybe they like to ride fast. Ours is not to wonder why....

tctyres
06-28-2019, 10:42 AM
Sensitive group. Maybe they have an addiction to said drugs, they should be protected and given clean needles. Maybe they just like drugs. Maybe they like to ride fast. Ours is not to wonder why....

No need to paraphrase Tennyson. What you said was out of line with the user agreement that you agreed to. Accept it and move on.

Skenry
06-28-2019, 01:07 PM
No need to paraphrase Tennyson. What you said was out of line with the user agreement that you agreed to. Accept it and move on.

Because I read it just as thoroughly as you did. Plus, nothing political, just humor.

tctyres
06-28-2019, 01:11 PM
They are all about the same.
Like I said, accept it and move on.