PDA

View Full Version : Raam

smead
06-19-2019, 03:26 PM
As a double century rider, I just can't imagine knocking out 3100 miles in one shot. These riders amaze me, and whenever I'm suffering on a 200 mile ride, I just think of these folks. Looks like Strasser is going to notch yet another win (not sure how many years he's won in a row). The women's race is really fun this year - after 2300 miles, the top 2 are only 15 miles apart. Should be a great finish, am pulling for mighty mouse from Canada (Leah Goldstein). :banana:

https://www.raceacrossamerica.org

Keith A
06-19-2019, 03:53 PM
I have a friend who did RAAM three times, and he finished it only once. I've talked to him several times about this experience, and I just can't imagine going through what they do. He said the delusions from sleep deprivation are real.

ColonelJLloyd
06-19-2019, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I feel the same on long days in the saddle. But, it's the Trans Am riders I think about. It appeals to me much more than a team effort endeavor or one that's not self supported. Either way, though, impressive riding and always love to see the Trans Am setups and gear.

Australian Abdullah Zeinab finished yesterday in 16 days 9 hours 56 minutes.

CDollarsign
06-19-2019, 04:07 PM
My wife's cousin, Dave Hasse, has finished multiple times but dropped out this year. Looks absolutely brutal.

MattTuck
06-19-2019, 04:14 PM
Not knowing all the rules, modern day ultra endurance racing sounds like the old style of six day racing, which was considered so inhumane that it was banned.

Mark McM
06-19-2019, 04:30 PM
Not knowing all the rules, modern day ultra endurance racing sounds like the old style of six day racing, which was considered so inhumane that it was banned.

Ah, but there's a difference - in 6 day racing, racers were competing for cash and prizes. RAAM racers basically compete for no reward, so it's much more humane.:)

R3awak3n
06-19-2019, 04:45 PM
Same with Tour Divide. I have been following the progress and its crazy how they seem to always be moving...

Lanternrouge
06-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Ah, but there's a difference - in 6 day racing, racers were competing for cash and prizes. RAAM racers basically compete for no reward, so it's much more humane.:)

There are plenty of emotional rewards, just not financial ones. Who can put a price on battling your demons? :bike::cool:

Luwabra
06-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Same with Tour Divide. I have been following the progress and its crazy how they seem to always be moving...

im hoping lael is holding out for the leader to blow up and then beat all the men. Tour divide is on my bucket list although i don't want to race it just take it all in and not be in a rush.

R3awak3n
06-19-2019, 04:52 PM
im hoping lael is holding out for the leader to blow up and then beat all the men. Tour divide is on my bucket list although i don't want to race it just take it all in and not be in a rush.

ahaha so am I. She was in 4th but now a bit back. The dude in first place is slowly getting caught up and Lael 100 miles behind. Its going to be tough but some people will have to crack.

BobO
06-19-2019, 05:03 PM
Who can put a price on battling your demons? :bike::cool:

A shrink? :p

Jaybee
06-19-2019, 05:36 PM
ahaha so am I. She was in 4th but now a bit back. The dude in first place is slowly getting caught up and Lael 100 miles behind. Its going to be tough but some people will have to crack.

The dude in first place (http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide19i.php?name=Sofiane_Sehili) is currently on an insane pace.

4 days 19 hours of moving time and just 12 hours of rest. He's also got a low gear of just 32x36 (https://bikepacking.com/bikes/tour-divide-rigs-2019/) which is unconscionable for climbing some of those passes with a load.

He should know what he's doing, as this is his 3rd or 4th TDR.

That said, he's still behind the southbound record of 13d22h51m

EDIT: Correction, Sofi and Josh Kato are both ahead of the Mike Hall record at this point, but the high passes in Colorado could be considerably slower this year - still significant snowpack above 11000 ft.

OtayBW
06-20-2019, 06:30 AM
I used to ride with a friend who rode RAAM in ~1994. She was an AMAZING rider. She'd get up a 3am, ride ~80 miles to the start of where we all were going to ride a century, and then she'd ride the century, and then ride back home.....:eek:. None of us poor schmucks could keep up with her. And then, she'd get up at 3am again and go out for more miles. Unfortunately, she DNF because of bleeding saddle soars and pulled out in Slapout, OK. :rolleyes:

makoti
06-20-2019, 08:36 AM
Way back in 1992, I did this as part of a 4 man team. Even just doing 25%, it was hard. I rode along side a few solo riders from around the halfway point, and couldn't believe they had done even that much that fast alone.
Ti designs was a support member for a guy that same year, and I think that was probably harder than what I did. Moving across the country at 15mph NOT riding? Being available 24hrs a day for a cranky, exhausted rider? Ow.

Jaybee
06-20-2019, 08:43 AM
...pulled out in Slapout, OK. :rolleyes:

I thought this was a family forum.;)

RonW87
06-20-2019, 08:48 AM
Shoutout to Peter Oyler, who is owner of Mindset Cycling Studio here in Toronto. Looks like he's on course for a top five finish in the solo category.

R3awak3n
06-20-2019, 08:52 AM
The dude in first place (http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide19i.php?name=Sofiane_Sehili) is currently on an insane pace.

4 days 19 hours of moving time and just 12 hours of rest. He's also got a low gear of just 32x36 (https://bikepacking.com/bikes/tour-divide-rigs-2019/) which is unconscionable for climbing some of those passes with a load.

He should know what he's doing, as this is his 3rd or 4th TDR.

That said, he's still behind the southbound record of 13d22h51m

EDIT: Correction, Sofi and Josh Kato are both ahead of the Mike Hall record at this point, but the high passes in Colorado could be considerably slower this year - still significant snowpack above 11000 ft.

yeah I was going to say, they seem to be ahead of the record right now. Also yeah their pace is insane. Also just refreshed this morning and now and Randy Neill has caught up to Sofi and Kato is 3rd but Sofi and Kato probably resting.

I am enjoying following the TD this year. It has been move fun just following the dot on a website than actually watching cycling on TV. It would be crazy cool to actually have some coverage of this stuff. Both RAAM and TD.

Jaybee
06-20-2019, 09:10 AM
Randy Neill's track (http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide19i.php?name=Randy_Neill) seems a little weird. He was not with the leaders for a long time, then caught up really fast. (http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide19?fbclid=IwAR1PSgX1TYpsWf8TNLVwXHqKiC0F JtRarPBfLW-Jipd3E3zg_piI00UZwBk) I kinda think he has abandoned and is in a vehicle but hasn't turned off his tracker.

ariw
06-20-2019, 01:50 PM
I was mechanic for the winning women’s team in 96, it was exhausting as crew, I can’t imagine riding it. I saw a few solo finishers just after we finished and they did not look well, to say the least. Since then, times have dropped dramatically across categories.

Ari

Moorecw
06-20-2019, 10:40 PM
I was the crew chief for a four person RAAM team in 2017 and crew chief for my wife who won RAW women solo in 2018. RAAM crewing is crazy, tiring and stressful. All rookie riders and crew. RAW was much less stressful. I’m still in awe of my wife’s performance at RAW. 930 miles in 3 days 10 hours and less than 5 hours of sleep during that time. The last 36 hours she only had two 20 min. power naps.