PDA

View Full Version : Bend Oregon suggestions

roguedog
06-18-2019, 11:11 PM
Hello, going to Bend for just a few days. Making it a road trip with bikes.

What are your suggestions?

FOOD! Activities? What are the top 3 road rides to do in the area (pls err on the side of scenery over suffering)? Bike shops?

Will probably only be able to get 1 ride in maybe two tops. Depends on if something else sounds alluring like rafting or hiking or whatnot.

Perusing thru old threads, it seems Ariana, Crux are soe food favorites but that was like 5 years ago. Would love updated info if applicable.

Clean39T
06-18-2019, 11:23 PM
I'll just talk food - others can cover the riding..

My two favorite restaurants in town are...

Spork: https://www.sporkbend.com/

and

Jackson's Corner: http://www.jacksonscornerbend.com/

I could eat at just those two for multiple days in a row and not get bored.

Another gem for lighter fare...

Fix and Repeat: https://www.fixandrepeat.com/

And for baked goods...

Sparrow Bakery: http://www.thesparrowbakery.net/

And finally - my favorite coffee is Lone Pine, but I think they are temporarily closed...

Lone Pine: https://www.lonepinecoffeeroasters.com/

I think that's enough for now :banana:

Kirk007
06-19-2019, 12:14 AM
Add to Clean's list of eats: primal cuts meat for the carnivore in you and take your pick on brew pubs on NW Galveston.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

cribbit
06-19-2019, 12:32 AM
There's been some unusually good deals on the Bend CL lately, maybe prepare to N + 1

Clean39T
06-19-2019, 01:00 AM
Add to Clean's list of eats: primal cuts meat for the carnivore in you and take your pick on brew pubs on NW Galveston.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk+1 - and the taco cart down around the corner..

Why haven't I moved there yet??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

herb5998
06-19-2019, 01:14 AM
the ride up to Mount Bachelor is nice, certainly some great views, and the shoulder is decent.

azrider
06-19-2019, 01:15 AM
best off to just stay in Bend while you're there and not check out countryside

:p:p:p;););)

Tandem Rider
06-19-2019, 02:06 AM
It depends on the riding you want to do, MTB is pretty close to world class here and close to town. Forest roads are great too, road is nice but is overshadowed by the MTB scene here.
As far as food, I have been underwhelmed by Ariana, Crux is really busy this time of year. Deschutes on Bond St downtown is nice if you get a bottle that is only available there, pub food. Take a stroll through downtown and you will find some nice restaurants. Bos Taurus is probably the nicest in town, even though it's a steakhouse, they get the details right too, including an outstanding wine list. I would put 10 Below, 5 Fusion and Joolz as close seconds. Chow, Sparrow Bakery, Lemon Tree, or Cafe Sintra for breakfast/brunch. Spork, Drake, Bethlyn's Global, or food trucks for lunch. Beer/brewery/taphouse depends on your taste, ask away. :)

ORMojo
06-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Yeah, all those food/drink/ride recommendations mentioned so far!

But I'll add specific votes for Spork, Ariana, Sintra, and Crux. And Victorian Cafe for breakfast . . . or maybe I just really like their Bloody Marys! Also McKay Cottage for breakfast.

If you are in the mood for Thai, Wild Rose is excellent.

Cuban Kitchen.

Two more non-punishing scenic road rides.

Shevlin Park Road/Johnson Road out to Tumalo State Park, return same way or via O.B. Riley Road
Drive ~15 miles to Sunriver, park car and ride either west up to Bachelor via 45, or west via 42 (can loop back via 43), or a number of other random routes.

But, riding both road and mountain in that area for the past several decades, for a newcomer with just a few days to ride, I would recommend mountain over road. Don't get me wrong - the road options are very good, but the mountain options are fantastic.

72gmc
06-19-2019, 01:08 PM
+1 to ORMojo's closing advice. I've been going to Bend since I was a kid and just recently discovered the mtb menu. It's silly.

Mzilliox
06-20-2019, 08:44 AM
i really enjoyed the climb up to east lake, ive done it 3 times now. i bring a book and read by the lake when i get to the top, then bomb down.

Andy sti
06-20-2019, 09:11 AM
What type of ride and how long?

roguedog
06-20-2019, 09:37 AM
Thanks all as usual. Man I dunno how many trips I've utilised the local knowledge available on this forum.

Well, part of the reason for going to Bend was because quite a few of the Oregon Bikeways are local to it. Twin Rivers, Sherar Falls (I know.. 2hrs drive but it looks gorgeous), Madras and Crooked River, plus whatever you locals might recommend. I mean really it all looks amazing but I don't have enough time for it all and also want to enjoy and explore the area as well.

@cribbit - nooooo :) though.. fantsay would be maybe swing by and visit with Mr Potts on the way up and then maybe Mr DeSalvo on the way back. That sounds Very Very dangerous...

John H.
06-20-2019, 11:51 AM
I have left my road bike at home for the last 3-4 trips to Bend.
The gravel riding is so good up there- and goes in every direction.
Also- The gravel riding is mostly not extreme- so it is great for those new or less aggressive.
For my $ I like getting away from cars.

Clean39T
06-20-2019, 12:17 PM
Thanks all as usual. Man I dunno how many trips I've utilised the local knowledge available on this forum.

Well, part of the reason for going to Bend was because quite a few of the Oregon Bikeways are local to it. Twin Rivers, Sherar Falls (I know.. 2hrs drive but it looks gorgeous), Madras and Crooked River, plus whatever you locals might recommend. I mean really it all looks amazing but I don't have enough time for it all and also want to enjoy and explore the area as well.

@cribbit - nooooo :) though.. fantsay would be maybe swing by and visit with Mr Potts on the way up and then maybe Mr DeSalvo on the way back. That sounds Very Very dangerous...Dangerous would be visiting Ben and Mark while in town... (Argonaut and DiNucci)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy sti
06-20-2019, 02:39 PM
I'm not a foodie and I have teenage kids so I can't help with food choices other than wraps, tacos, beer and pub food. Those I can do!

I can help with some rides, however. Still don't know what you want to do but I would try to stay close and ride longer instead of driving to get to one of the Bikeway routes. Especially if you're only going to ride one day.

My recommendation is to ride around Bachelor. Good roads, great scenery (mountains and lakes), and a snack stop! You can start in town, it'll be 90ish miles, or you can drive a little ways to one of the snow parks to make it 60 miles or less.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1734240642

If you want something shorter/less time consuming/easier then I would recommend going up Skyliners to Tumalo Falls. Super smooth road with a few miles of gravel at the end but you see the falls and do a ride at the same time. It's an out and back but it's probably the most popular bike road in town.

I don't know your strength or experience but the Bachelor ride is so much fun. Feel free to look around on my Strava for other ideas.

roguedog
07-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Went to Spork. Wow. Perfect recommendation. Traveling with someone who's gluten free and there were so many options. And food was really good and at great prices.

Man, it's a bit crazy. So many peeps. Is that just for the 4th or is it normal in the summertime? Getting out on a ride tomorrow. Gorgeous weather. Hoping for quiet roads.

ORMojo
07-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Man, it's a bit crazy. So many peeps. Is that just for the 4th or is it normal in the summertime?

Pretty normal. Also during ski season. Much quieter during my favorite Spring and Fall seasons in the Bend area.

FriarQuade
07-04-2019, 03:02 PM
I'm sure there's a spike in visitors this weekend. It's pretty damn full around here all summer long though. Might have something to do with the 3 sizable hotels that have been built in the last year...

cnighbor1
07-04-2019, 03:21 PM
ride up to ski resort
Keep going
road goes to south
make a left to get back to 395
go north about 60 miles
Not much traffic

PaMtbRider
07-04-2019, 03:40 PM
We spent a week in Bend a couple of years ago. For food my favorite meal was a smoked grape salad at Crux. The ride around Bachelor is nice. Smith Rock is definitely worth the drive for a hike and spectacular scenery.