PDA

View Full Version : serotta fierte seat post question

cmg
06-18-2019, 10:17 PM
yea, got it off the classifieds. she's a beauty. came with a sleeve for the seatpost, 27.2. what size post is this thing suppose to take? a 31.6 doesn't look it will go. is it suppose to take a world class, proprietary, serotta only made when it had reynolds odd size post? reminds me of using a campy record post. puzzled.....

Elefantino
06-18-2019, 10:45 PM
Had the same frame, same year, used 27.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddief
06-18-2019, 11:18 PM

purplecu22
06-19-2019, 04:10 AM
You need to use the shim. The bike was designed for a shim down to 27.2 Don't worry it works great. I wouldn't recommend a thomson seat post or any seat post they isn't super smooth. I tried a thomson and it creaked. I greased the out side of the shim and used carbon paste on the inside. Even with the shim its very accurate on size.

:banana: Love my IT fierte

Brian Smith
06-19-2019, 06:46 AM
When these things were built, there was not a wide range of seatposts available from traditional road brands in anything but a 27.2mm post. The shim allowed people who had favorite brands of posts to use their 27.2s, while those willing to adopt something new could play with lighter posts in the then-emerging 30.9mm size.
While the shims do work, and 27.2 is a great seatpost size still with oodles available, a good 30.9mm post fits these frames, without the shim, even better. Doing so also removes one possible source of a clicking creak.
I'm not aware of any reynolds odd sized post, and maybe we didn't always keep to industry standards in seatpost fitments, but rest assured that there was nothing proprietary about the seatposts intended for the Fierte IT.

tv_vt
06-19-2019, 08:04 AM
My Fierte IT came with the shim for 27.2 posts. Eventually I took it out and it has a larger diameter Fizik post in it now. Can't remember if it's 30.9 or 31.Xmm. Works totally fine, whatever size it is. But it's not a weird 'custom' size - it's a readily available diameter.

PS. that is a nice looking bike (or rather, it will be - once that fork is painted! ;) )

ChainNoise
06-19-2019, 10:28 AM
My Fierte iT doesnt need a shim for 27.2 seatpost. Interesting...

What diameter is the seat tube?

FL_MarkD
06-19-2019, 02:02 PM
I have an early serial number Fierte IT and don't remember if it has a shim. It does have a Thomson seat post, and come to think of it I do have a creak I can't find. :)

Nice frames, wish I still rode mine like it deserves, but the titanium Lynskey gets most of the miles these days.

purplecu22
06-20-2019, 02:13 AM
I think serotta did a production change. So some of the later IT got a normal 27.2 set up. early models had the shim. MY wife and I have both IT. We bought them before serotta's super price hike!! The IT is 90 perscent of an orttot.