PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Flight Deck Computer

weisan
05-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Anyone knows the difference between the Shimano Flight Deck computer
model SC-6500 and the SC-6501 units.

More specifically, I am checking to see if my Ultegra Flight Deck compatible 6500 STI levers and mounting/wire harness will work with a 6501 unit.

If you have one, how do you like the computer?

thanks,
weisan

dirtdigger88
05-07-2004, 11:48 AM
I think the 6500 is the first generation where both buttons are on one hood, the 6501 is for the hoods where you have one button on each hood. For what it is worth, I have always like the Flight Decks. Like any part, people have good and bad experiences. I like the clean lines. I want cadence but I do not like the sensors mounted to my crank arms. Expensive, toys. . . sounds like a perfect match for a serotta to me. Now has anyone seen the Flight Deck for DA10, I want one, but can not find anyone with them in stock or even able to order.

Jason

Jeff N.
05-07-2004, 12:31 PM
The DA-10 Flightdeck should be available sometime this Summer, so I'm told by Shimano. The computer HEAD is out there, but the HARNESS is not yet available. Strange, huh? Jeff N.

Bruce K
05-07-2004, 01:48 PM
weisan;

I know there were 2 versions of the Flight Deck. The earlier one was a single bike unit while the later one allowed up to 4 different bikes/gearing combinations.

I think that is the difference in yours. I believe they both used the same harness.

BK

Ken Robb
05-07-2004, 01:55 PM
I have had one of the older units with 2 buttons on the same hood and now have the newer version with one button on each hood. Both were flawless performers but the left and right buttons are easier to use--not by much though. Before some Campy fan chimes in with "yeah but without a real sensor to measure rpm you only get an accurate read-out when you're pedaling" let me assure you that I know exactly what my cadence is when I'm coasting.

TimD
05-07-2004, 04:03 PM
I think there is a fairly elaborate compatibility chart on www.shimano.com, specifically at:

http://bike.shimano.com/Computer/chart.asp

Good luck!

alembical
05-07-2004, 05:41 PM
For What it is worth, the World Cycling Productions magazine states that the Shimano Flightdeck 6502 (as well as the Ergo 03) works with double or triple, 9 or 10 speed.

Alembical

dirtdigger88
05-07-2004, 06:26 PM
I saw that too, but I do not see how. there are only 9 rings on the screen