PDA

View Full Version : wheels, what else!

ergott
12-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Here is a project I just finished. You might ask your favorite builder or try to build them yourself. I chose them because they have a very attractive weight and perform right up there with the competition while being very budget conscious. Parts can be found from any LBS. Nothing special. They will be suitable for any conditions you might consider Neutron, Ksyriums and the like.

White Industries H1 hubs
IRD Cadence rims (offset rear)
Sapim Laser spokes
alloy nipples
24 radial front
28 2X/3X rear

1370g!

http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/IRD_Cadence_H1_set/ird_cadence_h1_front.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/IRD_Cadence_H1_set/ird_cadence_h1_rear.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/IRD_Cadence_H1_set/ird_cadence_h1_set.jpg

thejen12
12-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't heard of IRD Cadence rims - they look nice! How to they compare with Mavic Open Pros and/or DT Swiss RR1.1 rims?

Thanks, Jenn

rpm
12-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Wow!!

ergott
12-09-2006, 06:20 PM
The Cadence rim is a 19mm niobium rim. It is the same alloy used in the Cadence Aero. The Cadence Aero knocked about 100g of the weight of Velocity Deep Vs and DT 1.2 rims. The Aeros average 455 - 460g and the regular Cadence (above) both weighed 408g.

They are nice rims. I plan on getting some real-world feedback soon.

Jason E
12-09-2006, 06:56 PM
That is pretty sweet.

My latest project is almost done and you are gonna be a little pissed at the wheels I have when I post my pictures, but know that they are temporary until MY favorite builder gets me my rebuilt wheelset....

:p

ergott
12-09-2006, 07:03 PM
That is pretty sweet.

My latest project is almost done and you are gonna be a little pissed at the wheels I have when I post my pictures, but know that they are temporary until MY favorite builder gets me my rebuilt wheelset....

:p

If you put K's on them (any model) I'll never talk to you again. If they're anything Campagnolo or have carbon/kevlar spokes, we're cool.
;)

Jason E
12-09-2006, 07:12 PM
We, apparently, are gonna be havong words....... :D

"I'm so fat I do the hour in 1:02"

ergott
12-09-2006, 07:34 PM
We, apparently, are gonna be havong words....... :D

"I'm so fat I do the hour in 1:02"

Next you'll tell me your still using g-bars. I hate you.

Dude
12-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Ergott
YOu must be spying on me. I've been riding the H1's, IRD cadence rim laced up with sapim cx-rays. Haven't weighed them but I figure right around 1450 or so.

I went conservative and did in the front 32 2x and in the rear 32 3x. Classic, traditional, smooth comfortable and they ride like a dream. I haven't really put them through serious hill riding but I love them. They are the best wheels i have ridden.

One thing to mention, the white ind bearings aren't very good. I've had them about 1000 miles and i am already on my second set of bearings in the fr. They sent out new ones to me under warranty and then the second set had a little play in them. I'll just ride these unti they are really shot and get some enduro bearings or something.

Let me know if you have any questions about them, the rims build up really well. I ran into some problems because the threads on the sapims were so short i had to get really accurate spoke calculations.

As far as i'm concerned, the IRD rim has replaced the open pro to me. Just as nice a finish, offset (not very much but better than nothing) and is a lot lighter than the open pro.

ergott
12-10-2006, 04:29 PM
One thing to mention, the white ind bearings aren't very good. I've had them about 1000 miles and i am already on my second set of bearings in the fr. They sent out new ones to me under warranty and then the second set had a little play in them. I'll just ride these unti they are really shot and get some enduro bearings or something.

Let me know if you have any questions about them, the rims build up really well. I ran into some problems because the threads on the sapims were so short i had to get really accurate spoke calculations.

As far as i'm concerned, the IRD rim has replaced the open pro to me. Just as nice a finish, offset (not very much but better than nothing) and is a lot lighter than the open pro.

Sorry to hear about your bearing troubles. I've had much better luck with them than you. This set was fine and I've sent out more than a few with no complaints yet.

FOLLOW UP:

I put 30 on them today. I was pleasantly surprised. Most of my wheels are 32 3X these days and I didn't miss all those spokes. They are nice and responsive. As usual, I aim for the crappy parts of the roads on purpose. I want to see what they can take. No problems.

Next, they will be shipped off to a friend of mine (ours) who is taking them to a training camp and some more miles piled on them after that. Easy for him, he's heading south;-) Let's see what he has to say.

If your reading, say hi to Chann for me. I always rooted for him in the Mapei days!

wasfast
12-10-2006, 05:11 PM

The standard bearings in WI's and Rolf hubs are API Enduro bearings. You can order them easily on the web. For $6.00 each, they're simple to switch out if needed. They are sealed so I'm not sure what's ruining your bearings.

sailorboy
12-10-2006, 05:42 PM
I was going to ask if anyone had experience with White's hubs. I just ordered a set built with my first pair, so any feedback, while too late to sway any purchase decision, is welcome. I've never been particularly hard on wheels weighing around 160 and not going out of my way to ride in bad weather or anything. What kind of service do these hubs need if any?

ergott
12-10-2006, 05:54 PM
I was going to ask if anyone had experience with White's hubs. I just ordered a set built with my first pair, so any feedback, while too late to sway any purchase decision, is welcome. I've never been particularly hard on wheels weighing around 160 and not going out of my way to ride in bad weather or anything. What kind of service do these hubs need if any?

They have sealed bearings. If you do need to get into the bearings, you need no special tools. They can be taken apart for cleaning with a hex key set and it is real easy.

Serotta_James
12-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Nice. I like.
Bet they'll ride nice, too.

rpm
12-10-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm wondering if the IRD niobium rims are the same that Mike Garcia uses:
http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/9/108.htm?192

He says:
"At an average weight of 400g, SpeedCific's Niobium 19 model is one the lightest clincher 700c rims available. It is manufactured from a proprietary alloy of Niobium and Aluminum. This material is both stronger than conventional rim alloys and also has a finer grain structure. This rim is not exclusive to SpeedCific, and has been sold under other brand names for the last three years. So we have several years experience working with this rim model and are pleased with it's durability.

Although the Niobium T-10 alloy is stronger than conventional aluminum alloys used in rim manufacturing (typically 6061 T-6), it is not any stiffer. As you'd expect, the Nio 19 is a little somewhat more flexible than a typical 700c rim. So if you aren't sure how many spokes to select for your rider's weight it is better to be a little conservative."

weiwentg
12-11-2006, 06:35 AM
I'm wondering if the IRD niobium rims are the same that Mike Garcia uses:

I believe they're from the same manufacturer in Taiwan. Mike sells them for less, and he gets them drilled in 20, 24, and 28 holes.

ergott
12-11-2006, 06:47 AM
Mike is using the same rim. His 30mm Niobium rim is the same as the IRD Cadence Aero.

Ozz
12-11-2006, 08:13 AM
What are your thoughts on rider weight limits for these?

They sure look sharp...and silver too!!

Chris
12-11-2006, 09:17 AM

ergott
12-11-2006, 09:23 AM
What are your thoughts on rider weight limits for these?

They sure look sharp...and silver too!!

I am sending them out for more mileage, but I'm 175lbs (now) and they felt solid under me. The beauty is the spoke count can go from 24/28 all the way to 32/36 to make them suitable from most riders out there.

I and other builders I know have even used the White Industries M15 Racer mtb hubs and have them respaced to road. Then you can get 36/36.

Spicoli
12-11-2006, 09:45 AM
VERY NICE HOOPS ERIC,
AS FAR DURABILITY OF THE IRD'S IS CONCERNED. I HAD SOME A COUPLE YEARS AGO AND THINK THEY WHERE GREAT RIMS. I'M A 175-195LBS FAT ARSE AND I HONKED AROUND ON THEM FOR QUITE A WHILE AND NEVER NEEDED TO RE-TRUE THEM ONCE. ONLY ISSUE I HAD WAS THE BRAKE TRACK IN MY OPINION WEARS A BIT FASTER THAN SAY AN OPEN PRO? I HAD ONE RIM WEAR THROUGH THE BRAKE TRACK AND IT ACTUALLY STARTED TO PUSH OUTWARD WHERE THE CLINCHER BEAD SAT, RUINING THE RIM. FYI, THOUGH THESE WERE VERY EARLY PRODUCTION AND WERE BIZARRO LIGHT AT 380GRAMS FOR CLINCHER RIMS AND THE IMPORTANT PART IS THAT I ACTUALLY WORE THE RIM OUT! AND NEVER HAD TO TRUE IT! "THE PREP" BOUGHT ANOTHER IRD AND BUILT UP MY OTHER USED RIM TO A DIFFERENT SET OF HUBS AND IS STILL ROLLING AROUND ON THEM TODAY!
AWESOME RIM OPTION IN MY OPINION!
JEFF :banana:

davids
12-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't heard of IRD Cadence rims - they look nice! How to they compare with Mavic Open Pros and/or DT Swiss RR1.1 rims?

Thanks, Jenn
+1

IRD Cadence vs. DT Swiss RR1.1 vs. Mavic Open Pro?

Discuss.

crossjunkee
12-11-2006, 11:15 AM
I've been riding a similar set from Mike Garcia since April. The H1's are flawless!

Ergott, I didn't know you built wheels at the time I ordered these. I know for next time.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16368&highlight=white+garcia

A picture of the set can be seen here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17968&highlight=spectrum