PDA

View Full Version : OT: Extended warranties

Smiley
12-09-2006, 03:11 PM
do u buy these for top notch electronics ?

example is HDTV's

Tom
12-09-2006, 03:17 PM
But that being said, read what they cover and what they don't.

I just read somewhere recently but can't remember where so here comes a reference from an uncited source that they are not a good bet.

If the device goes screwy it goes screwy right away unless you forget to unplug it in a thunderstorm but if you do that the manufacturer isn't going to pay off so why bother with the warranty?

gasman
12-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Consumer Reports recommends that they are not worth the money under almost every circumstance. The warranties basically just line the pockets of the retail sellers and add no value for the consumer.

davids
12-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Never, never, never. Electronic failures tend to follow the 'bathtub' curve - The probability is that things will break right away, or after a long, long time. Extended warranties cover the period where the probability of problems is very low.

djg
12-09-2006, 03:47 PM
It's an insurance policy, often marketed as an impulse buy (maybe because even for somewhat risk averse persons, it's not a great insurance deal). I buy them only for laptops, because laptops really do break if you cart them around (and I've ended up using the policies which, at least in the last couple of cases, have seemed cost-justified by a good bit). I'd look into information on the category of good you are buying. If it's something that's prone to failure, maybe it's time to think about insurance. If not, I'd just walk away from the sales pitch. For the kind of regular Y2k TV we have, the extra warranty seemed a waste of money--I don't know if the plasma screens are more problematic or not.

zap
12-09-2006, 05:10 PM
I agree with djg, laptops only.

Elefantino
12-09-2006, 05:15 PM
At most electronics retailers, you can deal on these. Dirty secret.

rePhil
12-09-2006, 05:56 PM
On our Maytag washing machine. That was the only one we ever bought.

dave thompson
12-09-2006, 06:02 PM
The 'warranty' company usually pays the seller a 40% commission. Not knocking commissions but you know the 'warranty' company is making a buttload of money if they can afford to pay that kind of money out, in addition to holding the reserves necessary to cover the anticipated expenses of coverage, plus pay themselves. The failure/fault rate on electronics today is very, very small.

Kevin
12-09-2006, 06:04 PM
do u buy these for top notch electronics ?

example is HDTV's

Don't waste your money.

Kevin