PDA

View Full Version : Trempealeau County Wisconsin

thunderworks
06-13-2019, 07:29 AM
This is an unabashed shill for bike riding in Trempealeau County Wisconsin . . . I first came here about 9 years ago after reading an article in Bicycling Magazine about road riding here - and I've come back every year since. It's the bike highlight of my year.

Almost no car traffic. Virtually every road is paved. Numerous bike routes are marked by the locals and detailed bike riding maps are available. Really is a fantastic area to ride.

We always stay in Whitehall, WI. There are at least 17 mapped routes in the county for riding, but it's easy to morph any route into something different.

Anybody else ride here? I rarely see other bike riders.

charliedid
06-13-2019, 07:43 AM
Indeed

With good weather (dry Spring) LOL this year) it's hard to beat western wisco. north or south but less traffic up north as you mentioned. The options for food on the other hand is dismal.

Easy to get to Eau Claire or Winona but even so.

Great place to ride.

biker72
06-13-2019, 07:43 AM
I think I read the same article and thought it looked interesting at the time. Thanks for posting. My interest has been renewed....:)

teleguy57
06-13-2019, 07:52 AM
Paging Saab2000....

thwart
06-13-2019, 09:05 AM
Did a challenge ride there several years ago called the Arcadia Brute. Unfortunately the ride is no longer being held.

Beautiful area, especially the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi. And yes, very little traffic.

However, my memory of climbing those bluffs over and over again... on the first 90° day in May... :help:

Plum Hill
06-13-2019, 12:49 PM
Great area. I was introduced to it about 20 years ago on an Eau Claire - La Crosse - Eau Claire ride. The organizer later changed the ride to a three day weekend.
I believe it was 2003 when the whole area flooded before and after our ride.
Last time I rode the area was in 2007. Seems like the hills got bigger....
Alligator Slide is a nice downhill. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nTl87fnf2fc

saab2000
06-13-2019, 01:23 PM
Paging Saab2000....

Western Wisconsin is the best kept secret in cycling.

My uncle owns a home in Trempealeau and I've been there riding with my cousin a handful of times, along with many other rides from La Crosse up towards River Falls.

Quality paved roads, quiet traffic and rolling hills. Absolutely a gem of a place to ride a bike.

https://live.staticflickr.com/5824/30584495252_57cfb06ff7_b.jpg

gone
06-14-2019, 08:41 AM
I live in SW Wisconsin. I’ve ridden around the country and around the world and this area has the best riding I’ve seen anywhere. Wisconsin is “The Dairy state” and they discovered decades ago that milk stayed fresher if the roads from farm to dairy were paved so it’s a vast network of paved roads that run past single dairy farms. The scenery is great, the climbs are challenging and I can ride 40 miles without seeing more than 5 cars in either direction. I moved here 10 years ago specifically for the riding.

And then there’s that winter thing ;-)

I describe it as “8 months in Heaven, 2 months in Purgatory and 2 months in Hell” which pretty much sums it up.

metalheart
06-14-2019, 03:28 PM
I live in SW Wisconsin. I’ve ridden around the country and around the world and this area has the best riding I’ve seen anywhere. Wisconsin is “The Dairy state” and they discovered decades ago that milk stayed fresher if the roads from farm to dairy were paved so it’s a vast network of paved roads that run past single dairy farms. The scenery is great, the climbs are challenging and I can ride 40 miles without seeing more than 5 cars in either direction. I moved here 10 years ago specifically for the riding.

And then there’s that winter thing ;-)

I describe it as “8 months in Heaven, 2 months in Purgatory and 2 months in Hell” which pretty much sums it up.

My wife has family in Wausau and farther north in the Harshaw/Hazlehurst area. As we age, the discussion often comes around to moving closer to family (my only living relatives are in Arkansas and they are very distant). Accessibility to good quality health care, solitude, some cultural amenities, and good riding conditions are issues that are important to us. Humidity, bugs, and winter (she grew up in Wisconsin and I in Illinois) are the downsides that are topics of conversation too. She is also set on living on water, so we have been looking but mostly between Wausau and Rhinelander. Looks as if we will have to expand the search.

Plum Hill
06-14-2019, 03:39 PM
She is also set on living on water...

Door County.

Frankwurst
06-14-2019, 06:40 PM
Wisconsin is a nice place to visit but it would be a bitch to live there.:beer:

metalheart
07-04-2019, 06:26 PM
So, we are taking a trip to Wisconsin this September to make a go/nogo decision about moving there in the next few years (2-4). We are going to fly into Minneapolis, visit some friends and relatives for a couple of days, then the plan is to find a bike route for me and a nephew to ride to Wausau. We can go south to explore some of that part of Wisconsin then head north or we can just start somewhere across the Minnesota/Wisconsin border and cycle to Wausau. This is the most open part of the trip and we can go several routes from the direct to the indirect. We might head toward Madison to see if that area works for us and then I can start from that general vicinity.

After a few days in Wausau, I am cycling toward the vicinity go Minocqua where we will stay with relatives and look around for some potential properties. I think there is some riding to do there.

Any thoughts on these ramblings about our upcoming trip? I probably don't want to ride more than 60-70 miles a day.

teleguy57
07-04-2019, 08:01 PM
Wisconsin is a nice place to visit but it would be a bitch to live there.:beer:

Nope (says the native cheesehead:)) Great summer cycling, road and mountain: sailing, big water kayaking on Great Lakes and great lakes, flatwater or whitewater paddling on beautiful rivers, hiking, rock climbing and WINTER! More cycling with fat tires, downhill and nordic skiing and snowshoing. Winter camping is awesome.

Packers, Brewers, and even the Bucks.

Sure there are other nice places, but works for us.

Plum Hill
07-04-2019, 10:33 PM
metalheart: at one time there was a Wisconsin cycling map (actually a set of four maps). Last set I purchased at one of the Wheel and Sprocket stores. You might give them a call.
Map link: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/travel/bike/bike-maps/state.aspx
Lots of good riding in the state.