PDA

View Full Version : 35 tires, new tubes?

Johnnysmooth
06-12-2019, 04:23 PM
OK, so I bought two new tires for my commuter that are 35x700 looking for a smoother, more comfortable ride. This morn riding in they are perfect at 50psi.

Ques is though, I just slapped in the inner tubes I had from previous tires (23-27x700) and all seems fine but...

Is there an issue here? Should I look to get new set of tubes that are designed for these wider tires or just go with what I have?

R3awak3n
06-12-2019, 04:49 PM
I have never paid attention to tube size number and never have had a problem because of it.

Clean39T
06-12-2019, 05:16 PM
They'll fill the tire, but they'll be stressed and thin, and more likely to fail..

fignon's barber
06-12-2019, 05:20 PM
I think if you use a regular butyl tube, probably ok because you are at low pressure. I wouldn't use a latex or "ultralight" tube with that big a variance, as they are much thinner to begin with.

Ken Robb
06-12-2019, 06:51 PM
They'll fill the tire, but they'll be stressed and thin, and more likely to fail..

I agree, and they will probably lose air quicker than tubes that are not stretched so thin too.

ColonelJLloyd
06-12-2019, 07:02 PM
I agree with others here. Use the tubes until they give you trouble then use 28-32 tubes.

Johnnysmooth
06-13-2019, 09:32 AM
Thanks everyone - all good advice.
Did have to add a few lbs of pressure this morn to one of the tires...
I can live with that for now
Biggest concern are the infamous potholes of Boston streets - pinch flats

Jaybee
06-13-2019, 09:47 AM
Ordinarily, I'd say this is a non-issue, just wait til they flat and then replace with appropriate size, but since this is a commuter, it may be worth it to assess your tolerance for having to fix a flat on the side of the road 20 minutes before an important meeting, and your contingency plan for such (bus?).

adampaiva
06-13-2019, 09:49 AM
Absolutely get the wider 700c tubes. I made this mistake once. I had been using 30mm tires that stretched out to 33. I just used whatever 700c tubes I had and never really had troubles. I put on some 35 mm Gravelking SK's for a trip to Idaho and went through four tubes in a morning because the tubes were stretched too thin and were failing (without any object puncturing). It was honestly terrifying as I thought it was going to leave me stranded. Luckily as I was stopped on the side of the road installing my last undersized tube a guy passing in a car stopped to check I was fine and he happened to have wider tubes which he gave me and saved my day.

Johnnysmooth
06-13-2019, 02:36 PM
Ordinarily, I'd say this is a non-issue, just wait til they flat and then replace with appropriate size, but since this is a commuter, it may be worth it to assess your tolerance for having to fix a flat on the side of the road 20 minutes before an important meeting, and your contingency plan for such (bus?).

I'm very experienced at changing out tubes (under 3mins) or fixing flat ~6min. More the mess...