PDA

View Full Version : Froome out of the Tour due to Dauphine Crash (Update: He's back)

FlashUNC
06-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Sounds pretty terrible with a compound femur fracture.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/06/chris-froome-out-of-the-dauphine-after-crashing-during-course-recon/

saab2000
06-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Very unfortunate. I wish him a speedy recovery. A broken femur is no joke and I hope it's not a threat to his leg. It could be the end of his career. Hopefully it's not worse.

Lewis Moon
06-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Never been a fan of Robot Skeletor, but not having him in the tour is a loss. Goodspeed on his recovery.

Black Dog
06-12-2019, 09:37 AM
Sounds pretty terrible with a compound femur fracture.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/06/chris-froome-out-of-the-dauphine-after-crashing-during-course-recon/

Yikes! Open fracture. That is bad :eek:. Hope he recovers well.

nalax
06-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Bad news for Froome and racing. Good luck to his recovery.

MattTuck
06-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Alaphilippe had a spectacular crash on his Tt bike 2 years ago (I think) at the tour, in windy conditions.

Those bikes really are not safe unless the air is pretty still.

Good luck to his recovery. But sounds career ending. :(

His solo attack at the girl last year won me over.

yinzerniner
06-12-2019, 10:26 AM
His solo attack at the girl last year won me over.

Holy typo Batman! But for real his 2018 Giro move was about as impressive as Van Der Poel's at the Amstel, if not as spectacularly framed.

Brailsford said that the gust hit his front wheel just as his hands were off the bars, blowing his nose. Between this and the pee break at the Giro is this the year of the cursed calls of nature?

Jaybee
06-12-2019, 10:27 AM
I wish him a speedy and full recovery as well.

Not sure if this opens up the Tour any more as Ineos is still stacked, but I am excited to see Egan Bernal with a little more leash to play with.

Elefantino
06-12-2019, 11:04 AM
Went to check Froome's Twitter account because his wife is tweeting out medical updates … and found that Froome has blocked me.

Weird.

72gmc
06-12-2019, 11:06 AM
Well, she’ll probably block me too because I’m probably going to watch the Tour for the first time since the Froome Era descended upon us all.

charliedid
06-12-2019, 11:10 AM
Bummer

Froome always makes things interesting.

madsciencenow
06-12-2019, 11:11 AM
There should be a spoiler alert on this (kidding)!! I’m DVRing the Dauphine and now I’m motivated to watch it sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prototoast
06-12-2019, 11:19 AM
There should be a spoiler alert on this (kidding)!! I’m DVRing the Dauphine and now I’m motivated to watch it sooner rather than later.

Froome crashed before the stage. It's not a spoiler and there's no video.

FlashUNC
06-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Went to check Froome's Twitter account because his wife is tweeting out medical updates … and found that Froome has blocked me.

Weird.

He always seemed like a thin skinned weirdo. Not least of which because he also physically just looks like skin stretched over a skeleton.

mcteague
06-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the spoiler! I just started watching yesterday’s stage on DVR. Please don’t put race outcomes in the subject line. :no:

Tim

Mzilliox
06-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the spoiler! I just started watching yesterday’s stage on DVR. Please don’t put race outcomes in the subject line. :no:

Tim

its not a race outcome, he did it on his recon. it wasnt part of any race.

FlashUNC
06-12-2019, 11:30 AM

Tim

It was a crash during a recon ride, so not a race result.

Also it's the Dauphine.

madsciencenow
06-12-2019, 11:31 AM
Froome crashed before the stage. It's not a spoiler and there's no video.

Fair point but it’s still a bit of a knowledge that impacts viewing the race.

yinzerniner
06-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Fair point but it’s still a bit of a knowledge that impacts viewing the race.

By that measure it's not appropriate to post the weather, course and/or stage specifics, standings, injury reports, or any other knowledge directly or indirectly affecting the race conditions?

A rider leaving a race from injuries sustained in a recon ride is NOT A RACE SPOILER. Full stop.

Clean39T
06-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Also it's the Dauphine.

:hello:

madsciencenow
06-12-2019, 12:04 PM
By that measure it's not appropriate to post the weather, course and/or stage specifics, standings, injury reports, or any other knowledge directly or indirectly affecting the race conditions?

A rider leaving a race from injuries sustained in a recon ride is NOT A RACE SPOILER. Full stop.

If you look at my original post you see I indicated I wasn't serious about this being a spoiler. I then followed with a comment that said that it does impact how you view the race the same as knowledge about weather or any other detail would. I'm not advocating that it's a spoiler and am sorry if you read it this way.

unterhausen
06-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Froome not winning last year was the first time in a while that I've been interested in the tour.

But on a human note, this is a very bad injury and I hope he recovers.

ColonelJLloyd
06-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Not least of which because he also physically just looks like skin stretched over a skeleton.

The surprising part to me is that, with such awkward appendages, he has not seriously injured his legs or elbows more often.

Froome not winning last year was the first time in a while that I've been interested in the tour.

Terrible way to get there, yes, but this also makes this year's tour more interesting to me.

chiasticon
06-12-2019, 12:23 PM
poor dude. hopefully he has a speedy and full recovery.

regardless of how you feel about him as a rider, that's just brutal.

kramnnim
06-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Wonder what Geraint thought when he heard about it.

yinzerniner
06-12-2019, 12:52 PM
If you look at my original post you see I indicated I wasn't serious about this being a spoiler. I then followed with a comment that said that it does impact how you view the race the same as knowledge about weather or any other detail would. I'm not advocating that it's a spoiler and am sorry if you read it this way.

Definitely missed your first post, so have to retract the sturm und drang.

Wonder what Geraint thought when he heard about it.

Can't see it as anything other than a negative reaction from Thomas. While it does get rid of a "rival" it can only hurt his actual chances since it removes a great rider from the team. If Thomas really thought he was the stronger rider for this year's TdF then he would have welcomed the chance to prove it in the early stages before the team decided to make Froome and Bernal the super domestiques. Also must have hurt a lot to see a friend suffer a possible career-ending injury right before having a shot at history.

berserk87
06-12-2019, 12:57 PM
If there's any team that could absorb such a hit to its grand tour hopes, it would be Ineos.

unterhausen
06-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Terrible way to get there, yes, but this also makes this year's tour more interesting to me.I was hoping to see him lose again. Hopes dashed.

72gmc
06-12-2019, 01:28 PM
My earlier comment notwithstanding (and not rescinded either) a femur break is bad news and I hope his recovery goes well. I was always anxious about the knee injuries I handled as a ski patroller until I had to deal with a femur fracture, and then a dislocated shoulder. Seemed a different playing field of pain.

FlashUNC
06-12-2019, 01:29 PM
My earlier comment notwithstanding (and not rescinded either) a femur break is bad news and I hope his recovery goes well. I was always anxious about the knee injuries I handled as a ski patroller until I had to deal with a femur fracture, and then a dislocated shoulder. Seemed a different playing field of pain.

Early reports are unspecified injuries to both elbows as well. Speaking from experience just one of those hurts like hell.

Black Dog
06-12-2019, 01:37 PM
Perhaps we would all look like better humans if we could separate our feelings for him as a rider and and as a human. Would anyone wish this on another human? Perhaps we should take a second to consider what this must be like for him as a person before we revel in its impact on the tour etc... We all ride bikes and it could be anyone of us in the back of an ambulance with our femur protruding from our flesh.

yinzerniner
06-12-2019, 01:38 PM
Early reports are unspecified injuries to both elbows as well. Speaking from experience just one of those hurts like hell.

Statement from Ineos says fractured femur, ribs and elbow. Sounds like he hit his entire right side after getting pushed off the line.

https://www.teamineos.com/article/froome-ruled-out-of-tour-de-france

sjbraun
06-12-2019, 01:44 PM
Per tweets from Mrs. Froome, Chris is in surgery now.
Reports state femur fracture, possibly an open fracture (where the femur protrudes through the skin,) elbow, and rib fractures.

teleguy57
06-12-2019, 01:44 PM
Perhaps we would all look like better humans if we could separate our feelings for him as a rider and and as a human. Would anyone wish this on another human? Perhaps we should take a second to consider what this must be like for him as a person before we revel in its impact on the tour etc... We all ride bikes and it could be anyone of us in the back of an ambulance with our femur protruding from our flesh.

Hear, hear. Thank you for stating what we all should be considering.

Clean39T
06-12-2019, 01:58 PM

First thought here as well..

Similarly, I loathe the GSW, but wish KD well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ryker
06-12-2019, 02:09 PM
Based on my own experience breaking a femur in a bike crash, I'd say his days leading the field are over. Hopefully I'm wrong and his superior health care yields superior results.

chrisroph
06-12-2019, 02:33 PM
This tragic. I wish him all the best in his recovery.

Dino Suegiù
06-12-2019, 02:43 PM
I really do not understand why some people are so negative and snarky here.
It's not really humorous in any way.
And yet if that injury happened to those same people they would be posting their x-rays, etc....

No matter how one feels about anyone else, to celebrate a terrible injury and subsequent inability of someone to do their job/what they love for at least a while, and possibly forever at top levels in this case, is pretty provincial and sad, boorish.

Why? :confused:

pdmtong
06-12-2019, 02:47 PM
A potentially career ending injury. Sympathy to him.

Yes he is robotic and awkward on the bike and in interviews. I never cared for his style but the TdF a few years ago (2016?) changed all that. He runs up mont ventoux. He gains time sitting on his top tube going downhill. He makes the selection into the wind with Sagan. wow - now thats racing with your head heart and guts.

I get that the team is polarizing. But this is devastating news for the sport.

FlashUNC
06-12-2019, 02:58 PM
I really do not understand why some people are so negative and snarky here.
It's not really humorous in any way.
And yet if that injury happened to those same people they would be posting their x-rays, etc....

No matter how one feels about anyone else, to celebrate a terrible injury and subsequent inability of someone to do their job/what they love for at least a while, and possibly forever at top levels in this case, is pretty provincial and sad, boorish.

Why? :confused:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gallows%20humor

Dino Suegiù
06-12-2019, 03:06 PM
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gallows%20humor

:rolleyes: Sure....

Do you speak for everyone here?
Do you have a really witty retort like that for Black Dog too?
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2552390&postcount=31

bthornt
06-12-2019, 03:07 PM
It can be a life-threatening injury. At the 1978 F1 race at Monza, Ronnie Peterson was involved in an accident where he had several fractures of both of his legs. He developed a fatty embolism that night (he was in the hospital) and died.

From Wikipedia:

At the hospital, Peterson's X-rays showed he had seven fractures in one leg and three in the other. After discussion with him, Peterson was sent to intensive care so that the surgeons could operate to stabilize the bones.[18] There was some level of dispute between the doctors regarding whether all fractures should be immediately fixed or not.[19] During the night, Peterson's condition worsened, and he was diagnosed with fat embolism.[20] By morning he was in full renal failure due to the embolism, and was declared dead at 9:55am on 11 September 1978.[

zzy
06-12-2019, 03:15 PM
Procycling has to be the only sport where some real fans cheer when someone goes down critically hard. Toronto fans were justifiably torn up for cheering Durant's muscle pull. Froome is probably done at this point. He wasn't an exciting rider, but it's awful to see him go out like this. (e- this isn't in reference to this thread, but comments i've been reading today)

rain dogs
06-12-2019, 03:21 PM
It certainly is unfortunate when any athlete gets a serious injury like this love him or hate him. Hopefully he has a good recovery.

However, I've read pretty much the whole thread and I can't see anyone saying anything very crass. I understand it's a drag and shocking for Froome fans, but let's not get too over-sensitive about a few tame jokes.

Nobody is cheering this, nobody is saying they're happy that it happened to the guy. Let's stay :cool:

trener1
06-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Not sure if it is the same but Beloki was never able to come back from his broken leg after that famous crash.
On the flip side both Gilbert and Velverde have come back from some bad crashes the last couple of years though I am not sure if either of their injuries were as bad as Froome's.

jlwdm
06-12-2019, 03:22 PM
I am an avid follower of the TDF and the lack of Froome in the field makes this year's race less interesting to me.

Very few riders can ride consistently at a level to win the Tour - it is more demanding than any other race. As the favorite it is very exhausting to deal with the press and other obligations every day. It is also a lot of pressure when your team is expected to lead the peloton day after day. The mental demands are huge.

Almost every year we see a rider pace a strong teammate up a climb, and people say the rider pacing should end up being the team leader. But there is a big difference between pacing a star on a few climbs and resting at other times versus being a strong team leader who cannot afford to lose time to other favorites on any stage.

Froome will be missed by me. I can easily picture the attack with Sagan on the flats with their two teammates or the attack just over the climb on the downhill finish with his top tube riding position. They did not result in a lot of time but each one made a statement.

Jeff

fignon's barber
06-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Sorry news and sympathy goes out to Froome. The Tour is lesser without him.

Matthew
06-12-2019, 03:29 PM
That's terrible. Wish him the best in his recovery.

FlashUNC
06-12-2019, 03:51 PM
:rolleyes: Sure....

Do you speak for everyone here?
Do you have a really witty retort like that for Black Dog too?
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2552390&postcount=31

I never pretended to, but I didn't see anything here that was unduly celebrating the injury to the man personally, more his absence from the upcoming Tour might make it a more unpredictable race and by extension more enjoyable to watch by whatever personal criteria people use to watch a three week bike race. I do see a fair bit of "there but by the grace of God go me..." gallows humor, and I include myself in that assessment.

I don't have a retort for the other post you're referencing, that's just garden variety concern trolling and not terribly interesting to engage with.

RonW87
06-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Based on my own experience breaking a femur in a bike crash, I'd say his days leading the field are over. Hopefully I'm wrong and his superior health care yields superior results.

Not in my experience. I broke my femur four years ago. I was on the trainer within 6 weeks after surgery (titanium rod) and on the road (gingerly) in eight weeks. Pretty much good as new after a year or so. And I certainly am not a pro-level cyclist with access to advance rehab, etc.

Mark McM
06-12-2019, 04:36 PM
Not in my experience. I broke my femur four years ago. I was on the trainer within 6 weeks after surgery (titanium rod) and on the road (gingerly) in eight weeks. Pretty much good as new after a year or so. And I certainly am not a pro-level cyclist with access to advance rehab, etc.

Was it a closed or open fracture? Froome's was reported to be an open fracture, which can be very serious and messy indeed (and in some cases, life threatening, although apparently not in Froome's case).

macaroon
06-12-2019, 04:54 PM
A potentially career ending injury. Sympathy to him.

Yes he is robotic and awkward on the bike and in interviews. I never cared for his style but the TdF a few years ago (2016?) changed all that. He runs up mont ventoux. He gains time sitting on his top tube going downhill. He makes the selection into the wind with Sagan. wow - now thats racing with your head heart and guts.

I get that the team is polarizing. But this is devastating news for the sport.

Well said.

For some cycling fans, a hatred of Froome seems to be the "in thing".

Did no one watch the Giro that Froome didn't race this year? Absolute snooze fest.

ntb1001
06-12-2019, 05:00 PM
At least Thomas will get full team support right from the beginning of the race. It might make for a more exciting race this year being more open.

fignon's barber
06-12-2019, 05:26 PM
At least Thomas will get full team support right from the beginning of the race.

….until the first climb, when Bernal will take over.

sailorboy
06-12-2019, 05:53 PM
Was it a closed or open fracture? Froome's was reported to be an open fracture, which can be very serious and messy indeed (and in some cases, life threatening, although apparently not in Froome's case).

this

in particular with elbow and femur fractures, with a lot of bleeding around the site, myositis ossificans is a worrisome complication. Your body basically gets confused by a large collection of blood near the broken bone and damaged soft tissue and decides to start filling the void with bone material. Very painful and limiting complication of traumatic fractures like this. I hope for the best for him.

sjbraun
06-12-2019, 06:27 PM
The BBC adds a broken hip to the list of injuries.

The four-time Tour de France champion, 34, has suffered a fractured right femur, a broken hip, a fractured elbow and fractured ribs and lost consciousness following the crash.

Speaking to Radio 5 Live's BeSpoke podcast, Brailsford said: "He's been operated on to make sure that first phase of medical care is as optimal as possible and we will manage it from there. It's an evolving situation. It is concerning, there is no doubt about that.

"He's not in great shape. There are crashes and bad crashes and this was a bad crash."

"We have had a look at his data, he went from 54km/h to a dead stop."

These are very serious injuries. While its way too early to predict his recovery, it's not an exaggeration to describe his injures as career ending.

Burnette
06-12-2019, 06:37 PM
Holy cow. At the bottom if the descent going about 37 mph, he takes his hands off the bars to blow his nose and the wind takes the wheel. Nightmare.

I have a hill that I can get to 45 mph going down. It's a blast. You try and not focus on consequences of a fall.

I hope his medical treatments go well.

zmalwo
06-12-2019, 07:15 PM
From his age and the severity of the injuries this is the end to his career for sure...

Seramount
06-12-2019, 07:42 PM
wishing Froomie a quick recovery.

that's all that needs to be said, whether you root in races for him or not.

have some class.

ultraman6970
06-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Forgot they had this race... :/

Matthew
06-12-2019, 08:51 PM
Imagine jumping out of a car at 37 miles per hour. Damn. That's brutal. There is no video of the crash? One of those I don't want to see it but can't turn away type of things.

rccardr
06-12-2019, 08:59 PM
Regardless of whether you "like" Froome or not, he won four TdF's and a number of other events. He deserves our respect and, as sportsmen, our desire for his health as a competitor at a level that few of is will ever experience.

My personal best wishes for a speedy recovery.

rustychisel
06-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Regardless of whether you "like" Froome or not, he won four TdF's and a number of other events. He deserves our respect and, as sportsmen, our desire for his health as a competitor at a level that few of is will ever experience.

My personal best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Well, that's not really it. I'm okay with him not being in the TDF but no way will I dance around on his hospital bed because of his misfortune.

Some here want to. I don't understand that sort of forum etiquette because these are the same people who will 'reach out' to another member they've never met after the read a thread about a broken collarbone...

gibbo
06-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Very sad to hear of such a serious crash for ANY bike rider! Sad for Froome and his fans as there is no denying he is one of the strongest cyclists in the world when he is at his best.

BobO
06-13-2019, 12:04 AM
After a crash like that, I'm glad he's alive and wish him the best going forward.

oldpotatoe
06-13-2019, 06:53 AM

Well said, can't believe anybody, upon hearing this awful and potentially career ending injury, would choose to mock his appearance or how he's done in 'bike races'..:no:

'gallows humor'?? Yup, compound femur fractures and broken ribs, elbows are a laugh riot...err, not..:butt:

Speedy and complete(as possible) recovery for Chris...

saab2000
06-13-2019, 07:18 AM
Well said, can't believe anybody, upon hearing this awful and potentially career ending injury, would choose to mock his appearance or how he's done in 'bike races'..:no:

'gallows humor'?? Yup, compound femur fractures and broken ribs, elbows are a laugh riot...err, not..:butt:

Speedy and complete(as possible) recovery for Chris...

Amen.

Celebrating an injury of any sort is troubling and celebrating injuries this serious is disgusting.

Vamoots58
06-13-2019, 08:12 AM
Well said!!!

rwsaunders
06-13-2019, 08:28 AM
When I see the pros crash and get hurt, it's always a friendly reminder to myself to respect the conditions that I'm riding in and to keep my bikes in the best possible condition that I can. Froome's incident sounds like it had noting to do with equipment and was unexpected, as I've been taken by surprise and spooked on occasion by a gust of wind...just not at the speeds that these folks compete in. Good karma to him and his family and a healthy recovery.

berserk87
06-13-2019, 08:30 AM

I have to offer a bit of pushback here. There is some momentum gathering that is shaming folks that are allegedly reveling in Froome's plight.

I have re-read all of the comments in this thread and I just don't see evidence that anyone has wished this injury on him.

The skinny Skeletor comment was perhaps in poor taste in this context, but the person that posted it is the same one that started the thread and has expressed horror at the injury. I saw a couple of comments about his his missing the TDF and what that means to the few that said these things. Again, nothing inferred revelry due to the personal injury.

Again, perhaps a bit insensitive given the context. Is there something specific that is bothering folks that I'm missing?

ColonelJLloyd
06-13-2019, 08:31 AM
Well, that's not really it. I'm okay with him not being in the TDF but no way will I dance around on his hospital bed because of his misfortune.

Some here want to.

Where are people making comments wishing him ill?

Edit: berserk87 beat me to it.

Elefantino
06-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Think about the delta V of going from 54 kph to 0 kph in an instant. That's what happened. He hit a wall, the side of a house. This is unlike any other crash I can remember, worse than Beloki, worse than Vogt.

It's trite to say it but it's true: He is lucky to be alive. And considering the myriad injuries, here's hoping he has a normal, happy rest of his life. Cycling at this point is secondary.

Black Dog
06-13-2019, 09:04 AM
I have to offer a bit of pushback here. There is some momentum gathering that is shaming folks that are allegedly reveling in Froome's plight.

I have re-read all of the comments in this thread and I just don't see evidence that anyone has wished this injury on him.

The skinny Skeletor comment was perhaps in poor taste in this context, but the person that posted it is the same one that started the thread and has expressed horror at the injury. I saw a couple of comments about his his missing the TDF and what that means to the few that said these things. Again, nothing inferred revelry due to the personal injury.

Again, perhaps a bit insensitive given the context. Is there something specific that is bothering folks that I'm missing?

OK, my post was not meant to imply that anyone was happy he was hurt. I was simply asking if commenting on peoples dislike of him as an athlete and how good it is that he is not racing, is not in good taste considering that the thread is about a serious injury.

I have no problem with any criticism of him as a rider and his effects on the sport etc... I did not see or say that anyone said or even imply that they were happy he was injured badly. I am not trolling or shaming. Just suggesting that we all recognize that there is a difference between Froome the person and Froome the rider. I am not a Froome/Sky fan at all, but find that joy about his absence from the tour or mocking his riding style and appearance in a thread about a catastrophic injury is perhaps not very graceful. I am not the moral police here, I am not calling people out specifically, I was only suggesting that we remember that he is a person like us, flawed and vulnerable.

KonaSS
06-13-2019, 10:30 AM
This view seems over the top sensitive. We aren't signing a get well card for Froomie. It is not at all hard for a rational person on a bike related forum to jump from Froomie is injured = bad to the impact this will have on bike racing in the near future = good/bad/indifferent.

OK, my post was not meant to imply that anyone was happy he was hurt. I was simply asking if commenting on peoples dislike of him as an athlete and how good it is that he is not racing, is not in good taste considering that the thread is about a serious injury.

I have no problem with any criticism of him as a rider and his effects on the sport etc... I did not see or say that anyone said or even imply that they were happy he was injured badly. I am not trolling or shaming. Just suggesting that we all recognize that there is a difference between Froome the person and Froome the rider. I am not a Froome/Sky fan at all, but find that joy about his absence from the tour or mocking his riding style and appearance in a thread about a catastrophic injury is perhaps not very graceful. I am not the moral police here, I am not calling people out specifically, I was only suggesting that we remember that he is a person like us, flawed and vulnerable.

Elefantino
06-13-2019, 10:35 AM
Surgery was a success, doctors say, but Brailsford said he's still unconscious.

Mzilliox
06-13-2019, 10:42 AM

we live in culture now of no honesty... people get offended at anything and everything and take all of it personally, even though nobody here has anything to do with the event. say anything resembling something non pc and you get lit up. everyoine is an internet police now, and they revel in it. this is our modern internet culture, and its seriously no fun at all. people need to use their heads in these situations. sometimes humor and making light are folks way to respond to a trauma, and maybe thats ok.

berserk87
06-13-2019, 11:07 AM

Fair enough.

It is hard to separate the two (person and rider), especially as this is a cycling forum. Sure, we all all human, but what draws us together at this spot is the golden thread of cycling. Many of the news articles being written at present address both - the impact to him personally, and the impact of his loss on the largest bike race on the planet.

Also I think that it's human nature to have some detachment from the event, as readers and fans viewing over the internet. Empathy can be limited in this way, for sure. Not everyone is going to empathize on the same level, if at all. But to the point, I don't think that any of the posts in this thread were over the line.

His surgeon says that he could be back to racing within 6 months: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/chris-froome-back-racing-six-months-according-surgeon-427052

XXtwindad
06-13-2019, 11:35 AM
we live in culture now of no honesty... people get offended at anything and everything and take all of it personally, even though nobody here has anything to do with the event. say anything resembling something non pc and you get lit up. everyoine is an internet police now, and they revel in it. this is our modern internet culture, and its seriously no fun at all. people need to use their heads in these situations. sometimes humor and making light are folks way to respond to a trauma, and maybe thats ok.

Pretty much sums it up. I usually like MZ's perspective on things ...

XXtwindad
06-13-2019, 11:37 AM
I never pretended to, but I didn't see anything here that was unduly celebrating the injury to the man personally, more his absence from the upcoming Tour might make it a more unpredictable race and by extension more enjoyable to watch by whatever personal criteria people use to watch a three week bike race. I do see a fair bit of "there but by the grace of God go me..." gallows humor, and I include myself in that assessment.

I don't have a retort for the other post you're referencing, that's just garden variety concern trolling and not terribly interesting to engage with.

And, lest it be lost in the shuffle, I didn't know "concern trolling" was a thing ...

yinzerniner
06-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Surgery was apparently successful, with the surgeon saying he could be back training in six months. About as good an outcome as possible given the circumstances.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/chris-froome-back-racing-six-months-according-surgeon-427052

93KgBike
06-13-2019, 01:55 PM
And, lest it be lost in the shuffle, I didn't know "concern trolling" was a thing ...

Yes, this term describes a behavior that often reminds me to click 'close-tab'.

So, IMHO, the thread is worth it.

Humerus or not. ;)

XXtwindad
06-13-2019, 02:01 PM

Humerus or not. ;)

Winner!

adub
06-13-2019, 02:10 PM
Great to hear the surgery was a success! Here is to a speedy recovery.

Mzilliox
06-13-2019, 02:11 PM

Humerus or not. ;)

wow, thats sharp :beer:

Black Dog
06-13-2019, 02:37 PM
Fair enough.

It is hard to separate the two (person and rider), especially as this is a cycling forum. Sure, we all all human, but what draws us together at this spot is the golden thread of cycling. Many of the news articles being written at present address both - the impact to him personally, and the impact of his loss on the largest bike race on the planet.

Also I think that it's human nature to have some detachment from the event, as readers and fans viewing over the internet. Empathy can be limited in this way, for sure. Not everyone is going to empathize on the same level, if at all. But to the point, I don't think that any of the posts in this thread were over the line.

His surgeon says that he could be back to racing within 6 months: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/chris-froome-back-racing-six-months-according-surgeon-427052

I agree. And as I said, I do not think that any posts were over the line. Just suggesting folks remember that each of us has a line, wherever that is. I was not offended and did not take anything personally. I do not belong to the outrage/offended/professional victim/SJW... mob that many in our society seem to be a party to. Think what you want to think and feel what you want to feel and if it not the same as me that is ok. Don't mind the criticism of my apparent over sensitivity, just offering my perspective in a free and open exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Glad to hear that he will have a good chance at a full recovery.

bikeridah
06-13-2019, 02:58 PM
I still can't believe this thread isn't locked yet.

simplemind
06-13-2019, 05:06 PM
Slightly OS, but still relevant...I read somewhere that many of the tour riders have relatively soft or weak bones due to the nature of their diet and diet restrictions. You see many a collar bone snap during the race season so I just wondered if there was anything to it.

e-RICHIE
06-13-2019, 05:13 PM
Slightly OS, but still relevant...I read somewhere that many of the tour riders have relatively soft or weak bones due to the nature of their diet and diet restrictions. You see many a collar bone snap during the race season so I just wondered if there was anything to it.

Where did you read that?

Dino Suegiù
06-13-2019, 05:13 PM
Apparently it's right up there with dismissive insults which are somehow deemed far more interesting (by the writer) than the target insultee's original comments. Who knew? :confused:

Humerus or not. ;)
:beer:

Dino Suegiù
06-13-2019, 05:17 PM
Surgery was apparently successful, with the surgeon saying he could be back training in six months. About as good an outcome as possible given the circumstances.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/chris-froome-back-racing-six-months-according-surgeon-427052
Wow, 8 hour surgery. Good news that the prognosis looks good.

But, "Chris Froome has the morale of a winner and is very rapidly bouncing back. He started asking immediately when he could get back on his bike. He should be back racing in about six months.”

Racing in 6 months only? Isn't that very optimistic, or is that a somewhat normal recovery calendar for these injuries?

rallizes
06-13-2019, 05:19 PM
Where did you read that?

Probably somewhere like this. It’s probably the non-weight bearing nature of cycling that is the main factor

https://www.outsideonline.com/2201666/what-happens-your-body-during-tour-de-france

weisan
06-13-2019, 05:20 PM
And this:

Why Cycling is Bad for Bone Density and How You Can Improve It

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/why-cycling-is-bad-for-bone-density-and-how-you-can-improve-it/

BobO
06-13-2019, 05:20 PM

The collarbone is a relatively weak member in the human skeletal system. It is vulnerable when the shoulder has a high energy impact.

simplemind
06-13-2019, 05:23 PM
Where did you read that?

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/cyclists-low-bone-density/

And thats not to cast aspersions, just a thought.

e-RICHIE
06-13-2019, 05:27 PM
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/cyclists-low-bone-density/

And thats not to cast dispersions, just a thought.

You mean aspersions?

Ya agreed.

FlashUNC
06-13-2019, 05:44 PM

Where did you read that?

Lizzie Deignan has mentioned in a couple places part of the calculus for her husband's retirement were some scans that showed he was having some bone density issues given the lack of impact exercise.

simplemind
06-13-2019, 06:06 PM
You mean aspersions?

Ya agreed.

Ya, that too! ;)

72gmc
06-13-2019, 06:55 PM
Walk the dog! Walk to the pub! Get bone dense!

There has to be a public health campaign in this somewhere ...

unterhausen
06-14-2019, 04:58 AM
There have been people trying to scare long distance cyclists with the bone density issues. I suspect I get enough weightlifting in by getting out of a chair, because I would have to lose almost 40 pounds to get back to my racing weight. One thing that did scare me a little is the assertion that dehydration can promote bone density loss. I can be bad about hydration. I fail to be convinced that the nature of cycling is the causative factor. The suggested exercises to combat bone density loss don't make a lot of sense to me.

oldpotatoe
06-14-2019, 06:59 AM

Wonder if he got any metal in his femur..6 months, that's amazing...

William
06-14-2019, 07:21 AM
The collarbone is a relatively weak member in the human skeletal system. It is vulnerable when the shoulder has a high energy impact.

That's why its a good target for elbow and hammer fist strikes...just sayin'.

W.

fignon's barber
06-14-2019, 08:02 AM
Probably somewhere like this. It’s probably the non-weight bearing nature of cycling that is the main factor

https://www.outsideonline.com/2201666/what-happens-your-body-during-tour-de-france

The biggest factor is probably low weight of the cyclists, especially at the pro level where many are at the extreme end, when it comes to bone remodeling. It would be interesting to look at data comparing ultra thin guys with some of the bigger guys like sprinters.

madsciencenow
06-14-2019, 08:24 AM
The biggest factor is probably low weight of the cyclists, especially at the pro level where many are at the extreme end, when it comes to bone remodeling. It would be interesting to look at data comparing ultra thin guys with some of the bigger guys like sprinters.

I agree and I'm not sure what an age matched control tells you when it comes to bone density. It seems to me that you need to control for other factors beyond age. As you point out cyclist are generally lower in weight to begin with.

It would be interesting to look at the primary literature on this rather than the reporter's take on it.

Mark McM
06-14-2019, 10:40 AM
Low weight, calorie restricted diets, and extreme endurance sports probably are all detrimental to bones to some extent. But running into walls at 30+ mph is far worse. I don't see any reason to speculate on relative bone density in cyclists for the extent of Froome's injuries.

Dino Suegiù
06-14-2019, 12:02 PM
Low weight, calorie restricted diets, and extreme endurance sports probably are all detrimental to bones to some extent. But running into walls at 30+ mph is far worse. I don't see any reason to speculate on relative bone density in cyclists for the extent of Froome's injuries.
Indeed. That fellow who just won the boxing heavyweight championship of the world would have suffered the same awful fate as Froome, I bet.

Who knows, perhaps even worse if some cyclists are somewhat weaker in bone structure, but otoh more flexible and supple in general. But as you said, 30+ mph against a hard wall...even Gumby gets hurt.

dieonthishill
06-14-2019, 08:55 PM
Personally I have broken my femur, and at the thickest spot. I've broken quite a few bones in my day (used to race skateboards) and breaking your femur is excruciating - I would wish it on no one. I wasn't 100% for 18 months, even then I still had lingering effects. No other bone break even compares to a full femur break in terms of pain.

Whether you are a Froome fan (yes, I am) or not, we are all cyclists. Who cares if you are going to be more excited to watch the tour now? Someone's career is potentially over. Someone who works extremely hard to be at the level he is at. Any fan of the sport should appreciate that.

While we live in a culture of over-sensitivity I agree, compassion is an entirely different emotion. On the other hand, the epidemic of people saying things on the computer that they would never say in person is far worse. Many then say, "yes, I would!" No. You wouldn't. You think you would, but you have been doing it behind a computer for so long, it just seems that way. If I had been laying on the hospital bed after my injury, and someone said to me something along the lines of "well, the local skateboard races will be a lot more entertaining now", I would have knocked their teeth out.

David Kirk
06-14-2019, 10:46 PM
All this.

dave

Personally I have broken my femur, and at the thickest spot. I've broken quite a few bones in my day (used to race skateboards) and breaking your femur is excruciating - I would wish it on no one. I wasn't 100% for 18 months, even then I still had lingering effects. No other bone break even compares to a full femur break in terms of pain.

Whether you are a Froome fan (yes, I am) or not, we are all cyclists. Who cares if you are going to be more excited to watch the tour now? Someone's career is potentially over. Someone who works extremely hard to be at the level he is at. Any fan of the sport should appreciate that.

While we live in a culture of over-sensitivity I agree, compassion is an entirely different emotion. On the other hand, the epidemic of people saying things on the computer that they would never say in person is far worse. Many then say, "yes, I would!" No. You wouldn't. You think you would, but you have been doing it behind a computer for so long, it just seems that way. If I had been laying on the hospital bed after my injury, and someone said to me something along the lines of "well, the local skateboard races will be a lot more entertaining now", I would have knocked their teeth out.

weisan
06-15-2019, 03:58 AM
Chris Froome could come back stronger within six months, says surgeon

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-could-come-back-stronger-within-six-months-says-surgeon/

csm
06-15-2019, 07:42 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-could-come-back-stronger-within-six-months-says-surgeon/

Not to mention a whole new world of TUE......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mzilliox
06-15-2019, 07:46 AM

i broke my femur at age 16, i came back much stronger and faster (running) because to that point i had never done any therapy or training. i learned how to train with the PT, and have been a better athlete ever since.

now fromme has already had all benefits of proper training, so i dont know what these cats are on about.

im just glad its a positive future for him

GregL
06-15-2019, 07:59 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-diagnosed-with-additional-sternum-and-vertebrae-fractures/

Froome is incredibly fortunate to be alive. The extent of his injuries is amazing. Best wishes to him and his family for a complete return to good health!

Greg

Mr. Pink
06-15-2019, 08:00 AM
i broke my femur at age 16, i came back much stronger and faster (running) because to that point i had never done any therapy or training. i learned how to train with the PT, and have been a better athlete ever since.

now fromme has already had all benefits of proper training, so i dont know what these cats are on about.

im just glad its a positive future for him

You can come back from a lot of things at 16. You're still physically maturing. He's 34, pretty much at the end of his career without this incident.

If he does come back and win, it will be a story that will make most forget about Lance and his cancer. But, I'd put big money with a London bookmaker that aint gonna happen.

Mzilliox
06-15-2019, 08:37 AM
You can come back from a lot of things at 16. You're still physically maturing. He's 34, pretty much at the end of his career without this incident.

If he does come back and win, it will be a story that will make most forget about Lance and his cancer. But, I'd put big money with a London bookmaker that aint gonna happen.

exactly my point, at 16, i didnt know about proper nutrition and training, so i had some room to go forward, plus a body still producing large amounts of hormones. at his phase, hes already had all benefits of the best training and diet, has gone through the majority of his body changes, and is losing time. im not sure how he can be stronger after this...

but i am glad he will cycle again, injuries are mentally draining.

Burnette
06-15-2019, 08:45 AM
As I posted earlier, I compartmentalize the risks I face and line them up on the shelf and go ride. When something bad happens or you witness it first hand, that goes on the shelf too and it puts negative weight on you.

Dan Martin was behind Froome before the crash and saw it all unfold. He and others stopped at the down rider, fearing the worst.

Dan Martin on Cycling News:

"I keep seeing it. It's horrible to see something like that as well," Martin told Cyclingnews ahead of stage 5 at the Dauphiné.

"Me and Neil [Neil Stephens the UAE Team Emirates director who followed Martin during the recon - ed.] caught them just before the top of the climb and we didn't want to mess up their recon so we stayed behind them on the recon and didn't want to get in the way. Then it happened".

"We stopped," Martin said, recalling his shock.

"Neil and I looked at each other in stunned silence and just stood there for 20 seconds, just shaking. I stayed by the team car and we asked if there was anything we could do but I thought it could have been much worse. I thought he could have been dead. To see something like that isn't pleasant.

"He blew his nose, the wind caught him and then he veered out in front of the team car. We didn't see what happened but we saw him hit the wall. He didn't have any chance to lose any speed. We didn't want to say anything yesterday out of respect for Chris and his family. It was up to Ineos to say what they needed."

Refocusing after that was not an easy task. I was thinking about it last night and I'm still replaying it in my head. It's very, very unpleasant."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dan-martin-im-still-replaying-chris-froomes-dauphine-crash-in-my-head/

Mr. Pink
06-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Lots of talk here about bone density issues contributing to injuries in cycling, including the ever present collarbone break, and, this may be true, that cyclists have compromised bone strength (which, of course, is absurd when talking about a crash like this). I think, and have pursued a training regimen that is detrimental to my cycling because of this, that serious cyclists break easily in crashes because they have no muscle mass above the waist to protect them. Have you ever seen pictures of Froome shirtless during a tour? It's scary stuff on the level of concentration camp physiques. There's nothing there. But, sure, I see the logic, why have any muscle mass up there if one is competing at such a high level? It's useless, and just extra weight, and even a bit harder to balance over long distances. I had read once in the Lance glory days that he did zero train above the waist, even sit ups, and we all know the story about how the cancer bout transformed his body to a better form for tour wins by melting all that upper body mass he had from his early triathalon/swimming days.
I do a lot of upper body work, and I have for many years, because I ski, which, is essentially a contact sport. Many a time I've gotten up from the ground and dusted myself off, thinking, man, sure glad I spent all that time around weights, or I might be waiting for a meat sled right now, or skiing down holding my shoulder in pain. A modern high level cyclist would shatter into pieces. Makes me a slow cyclist, I guess, but, there's other things in life besides cycling. Anyway, chicks dig shoulders, right?

I read an article recently in a pop science journal (wish I bookmarked it) about how somebody went through a large collection of skulls and bones around the world and determined that bones react to individual eating and behavioral habits. Hunter gatherers had different jaws than early farmers, hips and femurs, too, because of the constant walking and running. Not genetic, the daily stress formed the bones in certain ways. I became a believer in this recently, when I discovered that cycling is far from enough to keep the legs and hips in proper condition. I thought I had that part of my body taken care of with thousands of miles a year, but, nope, after a few injuries, my PTs had me on a strength regimen down there, and, of all things, I stated walking a lot. Yup, walking, something we hardly ever do anymore, and the body is designed and evolved to do a lot. Without it, I'm convinced, my lower body deteriorated to a critical point (at my later age), that things were breaking down. Cycling is a very unnatural activity that doesn't address weight bearing issues at all, which is good, in a lot of ways, but, you gotta mix it up. It works.

XXtwindad
06-15-2019, 09:05 AM
Lots of talk here about bone density issues contributing to injuries in cycling, including the ever present collarbone break, and, this may be true, that cyclists have compromised bone strength (which, of course, is absurd when talking about a crash like this). I think, and have pursued a training regimen that is detrimental to my cycling because of this, that serious cyclists break easily in crashes because they have no muscle mass above the waist to protect them. Have you ever seen pictures of Froome shirtless during a tour? It's scary stuff on the level of concentration camp physiques. There's nothing there. But, sure, I see the logic, why have any muscle mass up there if one is competing at such a high level? It's useless, and just extra weight, and even a bit harder to balance over long distances. I had read once in the Lance glory days that he did zero train above the waist, even sit ups, and we all know the story about how the cancer bout transformed his body to a better form for tour wins by melting all that upper body mass he had from his early triathalon/swimming days.
I do a lot of upper body work, and I have for many years, because I ski, which, is essentially a contact sport. Many a time I've gotten up from the ground and dusted myself off, thinking, man, sure glad I spent all that time around weights, or I might be waiting for a meat sled right now, or skiing down holding my shoulder in pain. A modern high level cyclist would shatter into pieces. Makes me a slow cyclist, I guess, but, there's other things in life besides cycling. Anyway, chicks dig shoulders, right?

I read an article recently in a pop science journal (wish I bookmarked it) about how somebody went through a large collection of skulls and bones around the world and determined that bones react to individual eating and behavioral habits. Hunter gatherers had different jaws than early farmers, hips and femurs, too, because of the constant walking and running. Not genetic, the daily stress formed the bones in certain ways. I became a believer in this recently, when I discovered that cycling is far from enough to keep the legs and hips in proper condition. I thought I had that part of my body taken care of with thousands of miles a year, but, nope, after a few injuries, my PTs had me on a strength regimen down there, and, of all things, I stated walking a lot. Yup, walking, something we hardly ever do anymore, and the body is designed and evolved to do a lot. Without it, I'm convinced, my lower body deteriorated to a critical point (at my later age), that things were breaking down. Cycling is a very unnatural activity that doesn't address weight bearing issues at all, which is good, in a lot of ways, but, you gotta mix it up. It works.

Thank you, Mr. Pink. I've been saying that for quite a while here. Just make sure to mix in some different terrain, add some hills, and wear shoes that don't constrict your toes.

Mr. Pink
06-15-2019, 09:14 AM
exactly my point, at 16, i didnt know about proper nutrition and training, so i had some room to go forward, plus a body still producing large amounts of hormones. at his phase, hes already had all benefits of the best training and diet, has gone through the majority of his body changes, and is losing time. im not sure how he can be stronger after this...

but i am glad he will cycle again, injuries are mentally draining.

Merckx was 33 at the end. The oldest Tour winner was 36, and that was in ancient times. https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-france/history/youngest-and-oldest-winners

It was good to see Tiger back this year at the Masters, but, golf is one of the few sports that can accommodate such a comeback. I recently had an argument with a Red Sox fan when I said, eh, Pedroia was pretty much at the end, but, hey, it was a great career, a few rings, MVP, lots of money, but, sorry, all things come to an end. He was incredulous, like, this couldn't happen! What are you talking about? Fans and, of course, athletes, are never prepared for the end of careers of superstars, because it comes at such a relatively young age. Long story, we've watched it all our lives, novels and movies have been made about the subject, a constant tragedy we watch every year from our armchairs, but still have a hard time accepting. At least modern incomes cushion the blow for the stars, if they don't blow it.

Mr. Pink
06-15-2019, 09:15 AM
Thank you, Mr. Pink. I've been saying that for quite a while here. Just make sure to mix in some different terrain, add some hills, and wear shoes that don't constrict your toes.

Ha, yeah. Today is a nice day, but, I'm heading out to climb a local mountain. Been biking too much these past few weeks.

Climb01742
06-15-2019, 09:33 AM
It's frightening and disturbing the loss of empathy and compassion in our society. Social media isn't the cause but I do think it's the main accelerant. We'll look back and see that social media has given us a little and cost us a great deal.

Climb01742
06-15-2019, 09:38 AM
...and wear shoes that don't constrict your toes.

Amen, brother. And beware of arch supports that hinder the natural motion of the foot through its stride. Though they are butt-ugly, Altra shoes are a revelation. And though few people can run in them, Five Fingers are great at the gym or just walking around at home. Set your toes free.;)

berserk87
06-15-2019, 11:24 AM
It's frightening and disturbing the loss of empathy and compassion in our society. Social media isn't the cause but I do think it's the main accelerant. We'll look back and see that social media has given us a little and cost us a great deal.

There are opposing viewpoints in this thread about empathy - one side feels that there is a lack of it, and the other feels like there is oversensitivity. The truth may be that there is a bit of both.

When you reference a frightening and disturbing loss of empathy and compassion, I am curious to see as to what time period you are comparing too? I look back in our history and there was no monopoly on these ideals in any generation that I can think of. It could be argued that racism was far worse in our parent's generation that it is now, for example. In fact, in the 19th century, people actually owned other people and considered them as property. So when referencing the loss of empathy in today's society, what period are you comparing it to?

I don't know that society's compassion, or lack thereof, has changed - I really can't tell. Social media allows for a more rapid diffusion of it, versus print media or some slower means of communication. Is it that people have changed, or that they simply have more outlets to vent what they would have felt in a more communication-restricted era?

Climb01742
06-15-2019, 11:32 AM
There are opposing viewpoints in this thread about empathy - one side feels that there is a lack of it, and the other feels like there is oversensitivity. The truth may be that there is a bit of both.

Very true. My lament wasn't so much about this thread in particular but more about how social media has made us, ironically, less social, humane, kind.

Mr. Pink
06-15-2019, 06:12 PM
Really? There were two world wars and a genocide of over six million people in the middle of the last century. They didn't have Facebook.

unterhausen
06-15-2019, 07:00 PM
this is a discussion thread on an internet discussion forum. My personal feelings were that this was a horrible crash and I feel sorry about what Froome is going through. I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone.

However, I don't feel that a few insensitive remarks are that big of a deal. I sincerely doubt that anyone involved is out looking at internet forums. I hope not, for their sanity's sake.

But it's probably good that we have a difference of opinion here. The real cesspools occur where there is unanimity of opinion.

I have to say though, that the comments in the local paper have gotten a lot better now that they use facebook commenting. It used to be that I had to remind myself it was good that some of the sicko commenters were taking a break from whatever horrible things they usually did to read and comment on articles. Kept the sheep abductions down.

pbarry
06-15-2019, 09:03 PM
That's why its a good target for elbow and hammer fist strikes...just sayin'.

W.

Nice, William. :beer:

Just watched John Wick 3, and that is apparent in the film.

The following has nothing to do with CF, just an annecdotal observation:

Learning how to fall can help one avoid the dreaded collarbone injury. Martial arts teach this. I still have muscle/ passive memory from learning judo as a child. Have literally landed on my feet in a number of bike crashes. In others, tuck and roll has saved me from injury.

SoCalSteve
06-15-2019, 11:11 PM
this is a discussion thread on an internet discussion forum. My personal feelings were that this was a horrible crash and I feel sorry about what Froome is going through. I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone.

However, I don't feel that a few insensitive remarks are that big of a deal. I sincerely doubt that anyone involved is out looking at internet forums. I hope not, for their sanity's sake.

But it's probably good that we have a difference of opinion here. The real cesspools occur where there is unanimity of opinion.

I have to say though, that the comments in the local paper have gotten a lot better now that they use facebook commenting. It used to be that I had to remind myself it was good that some of the sicko commenters were taking a break from whatever horrible things they usually did to read and comment on articles. Kept the sheep abductions down.

OMG, truer words have never been spoken! Look at The U.S. of A today. Need I say more?

Elefantino
06-16-2019, 10:54 PM
Re: unanimity of opinion

I find it sanity-inducing to get all my news from The Onion.

dave thompson
06-16-2019, 11:22 PM
Re: unanimity of opinion

I find it sanity-inducing to get all my news from The Onion.

The Onion is the best real fake news!

brockd15
08-10-2019, 01:45 AM
Wow, I just came across this video tonight about Froome's crash and recovery.
After hearing how bad it was, I'm blown away that he's progressed as far as he has. I hope he does make it back at a high level next summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnLAPyRf7ZI

ultraman6970
08-10-2019, 06:37 AM
Part of the recovery is the willingness to do it. That PT has to hurt as hell but IMO doest surprise me at all it is going fast, he is used to suffer, cycling is a suffering sport and anybody doing any sport where you suffer a lot will recover really quick. Is he going to get exactly the same than before? who knows because of the injuries, sure we will see him in the bike tho, personally doubt he will the same, come back to professional cycling? hell yeah...

FlashUNC
09-27-2019, 09:34 AM
Froome is coming back to racing in Japan in October. Unreal.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/09/froome-will-return-to-racing-in-at-the-saitama-criterium/

Jaybee
09-27-2019, 10:07 AM
Froome is coming back to racing in Japan in October. Unreal.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/09/froome-will-return-to-racing-in-at-the-saitama-criterium/

Check for a motor in his rebuilt femur ;)

kramnnim
09-27-2019, 11:36 AM
Is this one of the races that has a predetermined podium?

unterhausen
09-27-2019, 11:45 AM
I'm glad to hear that he's back.

cmbicycles
09-27-2019, 11:51 AM
Considering the extent of his injuries, this is impressive no matter the result.

chiasticon
09-27-2019, 12:02 PM
good for him! regardless of your opinion of him, great to hear he's recovering well so far.

kinda crazy it's the TTT though. I always feel like those are so dangerous. not as dangerous as a full peloton of course...

FlashUNC
09-27-2019, 12:09 PM
good for him! regardless of your opinion of him, great to hear he's recovering well so far.

kinda crazy it's the TTT though. I always feel like those are so dangerous. not as dangerous as a full peloton of course...

I would imagine they'll be riding it rather gingerly.

Drmojo
09-27-2019, 01:20 PM
Froome love vs
Sagan hate/obsession
hmmmm

FlashUNC
09-27-2019, 01:25 PM
Froome love vs
Sagan hate/obsession
hmmmm

No Froome love. He's a dreadfully boring GT rider.

But respect for coming back from a gnarly crash like that.

Sagan is still refried horse butt.