PDA

View Full Version : Kondo Method--Bikes-Article

LouDeeter
06-12-2019, 05:47 AM
Several people have mentioned the Marie Kondo method of downsizing, or getting rid of things that no longer mean a lot to you. I haven't seen anyone post this article about it, with bikes. So, here goes:

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a27761246/using-marie-kondo-method-to-sell-used-bikes/

Ralph
06-12-2019, 06:28 AM
Several people have mentioned the Marie Kondo method of downsizing, or getting rid of things that no longer mean a lot to you. I haven't seen anyone post this article about it, with bikes. So, here goes:

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a27761246/using-marie-kondo-method-to-sell-used-bikes/

Good article....as I get older, some medical issues, and spend more time riding by myself….slower, shorter rides, etc.....don't enjoy full on race bikes as much anymore. (also enjoy riding wife's cruiser E bike LOL) Time to let go.

texbike
06-12-2019, 08:34 AM
This approach wouldn't work for me - holding each bike close to my heart as Marie Kondo suggests would get grease on my shirt. ;)

Texbike

Pelican
06-12-2019, 01:27 PM
Some of those were sold right here on Paceline!

Cheers,
Hong

C40_guy
06-12-2019, 01:57 PM
This is crazy talk.

The author, Mr. Quan, clearly has never spent any time in a cycling community like this forum where he'd learn how to properly care for, upgrade, store, and add to his collection.

Hey Pelican, you live in the same area as the author, right?. Have you ever bumped into him on a ride, or maybe at a coffee shop? What's up with that dude?

:)

Pelican
06-12-2019, 02:13 PM
Hey Pelican, you live in the same area as the author, right?. Have you ever bumped into him on a ride, or maybe at a coffee shop? What's up with that dude?

:)

I have coffee with him a lot.

unterhausen
06-12-2019, 02:30 PM
seems like the ones without cranks would be good candidates to go away, but he's keeping one of them

Lanternrouge
06-12-2019, 02:37 PM
This approach wouldn't work for me - holding each bike close to my heart as Marie Kondo suggests would get grease on my shirt. ;)

Texbike

Keep the non-drive side closest to your hear and it should work a lot better.

Pelican
06-12-2019, 03:02 PM
No cranks, no grease marks!

steelbikerider
06-12-2019, 10:42 PM
A few weeks ago, I tossed out a about 25 years worth of VeloNews and 10 years of Cyclesport. It seemed like every issue had a cover or feature article of a rider later found to be a doper. They no longer brought me joy so I now have a lot a bookshelf space.

Michael Maddox
06-13-2019, 09:11 AM
This article describes me perfectly. I have a collection of 70s and 80s pro bikes that I lusted over during my younger years, all in my size, all kept rideable and serviced, but hung on my office wall with jerseys, autographs, posters, and the like. I don't even count them in the "big list" when someone asks how many bikes I own.

But then, there are the rest...all the bikes in the stable that I DO ride. I love all of them for some reason or other, or perhaps I just recognize the investment in time and money and miles some of them represent. It's a little ridiculous, it's absolutely hoarding behaviour (I don't do this with anything else), and I really must undertake a more concerted effort to thin out the herd.

Yeah, the article speaks to me, but I've been spoken to, before, and despite some thinning, I STILL have TOO MANY BIKES.

For those of you who ride 60cm x 60cm frames or thereabouts, keep an eye on the classifieds.

texbike
06-13-2019, 09:40 AM
Keep the non-drive side closest to your hear and it should work a lot better.

Great suggestion! However, I'm just a drive-side, kinda guy. Guess I'm just old and cranky. :)

In all seriousness, I do have too many bikes as well, but they do bring a certain amount of joy from looking at them if not riding them.

Texbike

Clean39T
06-13-2019, 09:56 AM
This article describes me perfectly. I have a collection of 70s and 80s pro bikes that I lusted over during my younger years, all in my size, all kept rideable and serviced, but hung on my office wall with jerseys, autographs, posters, and the like. I don't even count them in the "big list" when someone asks how many bikes I own.

But then, there are the rest...all the bikes in the stable that I DO ride. I love all of them for some reason or other, or perhaps I just recognize the investment in time and money and miles some of them represent. It's a little ridiculous, it's absolutely hoarding behaviour (I don't do this with anything else), and I really must undertake a more concerted effort to thin out the herd.

Yeah, the article speaks to me, but I've been spoken to, before, and despite some thinning, I STILL have TOO MANY BIKES.

For those of you who ride 60cm x 60cm frames or thereabouts, keep an eye on the classifieds.

Uh oh..

That red Zank scandium monster would be hard not to take back ;)