PDA

View Full Version : Bont shoe input desired

donevwil
06-10-2019, 12:41 PM
I have large wide feet currently wearing a 50 Wide Lake, good fit forward of the arch, but simply much too roomy in the heel. I've gotten the go ahead to buy a pair of Bonts (if they prove worthy) as a last gasp before going custom (which would be a couple years away at best due to the cost).

Any feedback (positive or negative) and/or recommendations are appreciated before I plunk down $400. I'm looking at the Vaypor G for recessed cleat compatibility and dual BOAs.

Some details:

- Measured my feet this weekend and the online Bont fit calculator says 50 Wide, even bumping the numbers up 1-2mm or so has me firmly at a 50 Wide (50 is the largest Bont offers stock). Is the online calculator reliable?

- I've read that with zero give and poor ventilation Bonts are not great in hot climates or on (older) riders whose feet expand as they ride.

- Many here appear to have tried Bonts, but only a bit of feedback exists. There have been quite a few for sale in the classifieds (bad sign?).

- Online consensus appears to be when they fit they are the best, but they don't always fit and the heat moldability can only make minor adjustments. Quality also appears to be merely OK.

- Should I purchase from Bont's online store? I've tried multiple times to try/buy locally (or even semi-locally, SF, East Bay) and no shop that sells them was even remotely interested in ordering a 50 Wide for me to try even after I committed to buy if they fit.

Very few options for me, Lake and Bont appear to be it short of customs.

Thanks all!

AngryScientist
06-10-2019, 01:01 PM
i tried a pair of bonts a while ago.

i echo your assumptions:

they were not for me. they didnt fit the shape of my foot well, and despite every trick i could come up with, the heat molding process did absolutely nothing to alter the footbed, as far as i could tell. perhaps if they fit my feet well outright, some minor tweak could have come from heat molding, but this was not perceivable to me.

i would definitely buy from somewhere with a good return policy if you are going new. i think the advice is try them on, and if they dont feel good out of the box, dont expect them to get any better with the heat molding process.

fignon's barber
06-10-2019, 01:04 PM
I use Vaypor S and Sidi Wire 2 ( and Drako 2, which is offroad version). Both in 43. Heal is definitely narrower in the Bont. If you search, I've put more detailed reviews on here. Yes, the current size chart is accurate.

Clean39T
06-10-2019, 01:12 PM
I'm curious too..

And if you want some regular width top-model Lakes in size 50, let me know - brand new, just too long for me..

I'm in size 49 Giro shows right now - closest I've found to fitting, but they still give me problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

donevwil
06-10-2019, 01:20 PM
... i would definitely buy from somewhere with a good return policy if you are going new. i think the advice is try them on, and if they dont feel good out of the box, dont expect them to get any better with the heat molding process.

This is the thing I've heard time and time again. I've wanted to try a pair of Bonts going on 8 years now, but both local North Bay shops blew me off big time.

Maybe John H will chime in, I know he's worn Bonts, recently sold a pair of Vaypor Gs and might be able to work some magic with one of the shops that blew me off (in San Anselmo).

John H.
06-10-2019, 01:28 PM
They are my favorite shoes and I only sold the shoes that I sold here because I replaced them with newer Bonts in different colors.

They are very supportive. This either works great for you or it doesn't. Not at all like slipper type shoes.
Also- They fit pretty well out of the box or they don't. Heat molding can help a little, but not a lot.
Insoles are thin and not supportive- I use my own custom insoles in my Bonts.

I have both the Helix and the Vapor (both Vapor G and Vapor S).
I think the Helix has a slightly larger toe box- But the single Boa does not customize the fit as much as the double Boa does-

One thing that I like about the Bont shoes is that the mtb/gravel shoe uses the same sole and upper as the road shoe. So same fit and same stiffness.

I have been on Bont shoes for almost 3 years now. They were a savior for me. I had been through a series of foot surgeries on both feet and could barely pedal a bike.
It must be the support and stiff platform, but something about them allowed me to pedal pain free and finally allowed my feet to fully heal.

Nowadays I occasionally look at other brands new and sexy shoes- then I have to remind myself "the Bonts really work for you".

Here is my newest addition- Vapor G-Custom painted.
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByBcSfoFl8S/

donevwil
06-10-2019, 01:31 PM
They are my favorite shoes and I only sold the shoes that I sold here because I replaced them with newer Bonts in different colors.

They are very supportive. This either works great for you or it doesn't. Not at all like slipper type shoes.
Also- They fit pretty well out of the box or they don't. Heat molding can help a little, but not a lot.
Insoles are thin and not supportive- I use my own custom insoles in my Bonts.

I have both the Helix and the Vapor (both Vapor G and Vapor S).
I think the Helix has a slightly larger toe box- But the single Boa does not customize the fit as much as the double Boa does-

One thing that I like about the Bont shoes is that the mtb/gravel shoe uses the same sole and upper as the road shoe. So same fit and same stiffness.

I have been on Bont shoes for almost 3 years now. They were a savior for me. I had been through a series of foot surgeries on both feet and could barely pedal a bike.
It must be the support and stiff platform, but something about them allowed me to pedal pain free and finally allowed my feet to fully heal.

Nowadays I occasionally look at other brands new and sexy shoes- then I have to remind myself "the Bonts really work for you".

Here is my newest addition- Vapor G-Custom painted.
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByBcSfoFl8S/

Thanks John,

Any ins at WA in San Anselmo? I think still the only shop in the North Bay that deals in Bonts (at least they were last I tried to try on a pair). Where do you get yours if you don't mind my asking?

John H.
06-10-2019, 01:49 PM
PM Sent- I may have a solution for you.

Thanks John,

Any ins at WA in San Anselmo? I think still the only shop in the North Bay that deals in Bonts (at least they were last I tried to try on a pair). Where do you get yours if you don't mind my asking?

FlashUNC
06-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Have a pair of the Zero Plus and the Vaypor S.

I'll echo the polarizing fit issue, either they work or they don't. And when they don't, they really don't. The toe box is amazing and the hold at the heel is second to none for me, especially after molding.

Ventilation isn't great on hot days, but they're crazy stiff and do a great job transferring the power with a minimum of flex.

One issue I've run into, since I run Time pedals, the bolts for the pedals are too long for the cleat mount -- they intrude into the footbed. I've had to dremel down a couple sets of the stock Time bolts to get it to work without having some foot torture.

Oh and replace the stock insole. That sucks.

Veloo
06-10-2019, 02:39 PM
I had to go a size up when I bought a pair of regular width Bont Blitz because of that steep toe angle they have. In the end I culdn't make them work as they were not as moldable as they make it sound.
Bont also does that Asian fit as well which is a wide toe box and narrow heel which is what my feet are like.
I tried a pair of Bonts with the buckle closure as well but I couldn't get it tight enough.

I just got the custom Luck Galaxy MTB shoe for $400 CAD. The process was pretty straight forward. Very high quality. I'd buy again when my road shoes wear out.

https://luck-bike.es/en/

berserk87
06-10-2019, 03:31 PM
Add me to the list of the Bont curious.

I have a wide forefoot and a narrow heel. I've been wearing Sidi Megas for years, and they are workable. The heel retention system is a must for me as that helps with heel slippage a lot.

I checked into Bonts about two years ago. After using their sizing calculator, it determined that I would require a custom pair. The additional price and the lengthy wait time pushed me toward another pair of Sidis.

Has anyone here used the Bont custom shop?

pdonk
06-10-2019, 03:31 PM
I was using a set of bont blitz as well.

I like them, the one shoe that I was able to mold perfectly fit really well was the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn, the other shoe was a moving target of if it was going to be a good day or bad day on the bike.

I also had troubles with the cleat bolts being too long and protruding into my foot.

In terms of the knee stabilization and arch support, really liked it, once I got used to it.

In terms of quality, I got about 6500km out of a paid (3 years). Some stitching is coming loose and they look worn. In terms of sizing, I only wish they offered a 45.5 as I had to go with a 46. Similar to others, it was hard to find a local shop to try them on and get them to order the right size - ended up getting mine from ChainReaction on closeout.

I'd still be wearing them, but found a really good deal on a pair of Lake CX402s that was too good to pass up.

Blown Reek
06-10-2019, 04:09 PM
I absolutely love my Bont Vaypor+ shoes. Having four (4) pair, all in different colors, I have zero desire to try any other brand. Before Bont, I was an S-Works guy, but then they changed the shoe so much they were no longer comfortable. After a ton of shoes (I'm talking about 15 pair), I found the Bont, and never went back.

That reminds me- I've got a ton of 46s to sell in the Classifieds.

donevwil
06-10-2019, 04:22 PM
I had to go a size up when I bought a pair of regular width Bont Blitz because of that steep toe angle they have. In the end I culdn't make them work as they were not as moldable as they make it sound.
Bont also does that Asian fit as well which is a wide toe box and narrow heel which is what my feet are like.
I tried a pair of Bonts with the buckle closure as well but I couldn't get it tight enough.

I just got the custom Luck Galaxy MTB shoe for $400 CAD. The process was pretty straight forward. Very high quality. I'd buy again when my road shoes wear out.

https://luck-bike.es/en/

I've read about sizing inconsistencies based on the online fit tool, gives me pause. More reason to try prior to purchase if at all possible. I never found an explanation on what "Asian Fit" meant, good to know. I'll have to keep an eye on Luck shoes, definitely an option.

I was using a set of bont blitz as well.

I like them, the one shoe that I was able to mold perfectly fit really well was the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn, the other shoe was a moving target of if it was going to be a good day or bad day on the bike.

I also had troubles with the cleat bolts being too long and protruding into my foot.

In terms of the knee stabilization and arch support, really liked it, once I got used to it.

In terms of quality, I got about 6500km out of a paid (3 years). Some stitching is coming loose and they look worn. In terms of sizing, I only wish they offered a 45.5 as I had to go with a 46. Similar to others, it was hard to find a local shop to try them on and get them to order the right size - ended up getting mine from ChainReaction on closeout.

I'd still be wearing them, but found a really good deal on a pair of Lake CX402s that was too good to pass up.

Your input is paralleled online, screw length, general quality and durability. I'm willing to accept some issues at this stage, quality isn't one, however, hopefully they've improved. I bought a pair of Lake 331s only to subsequently learn about the differences between the comfort, sport, competition and race lasts. The 331s are too narrow.

I absolutely love my Bont Vaypor+ shoes. Having four (4) pair, all in different colors, I have zero desire to try any other brand. Before Bont, I was an S-Works guy, but then they changed the shoe so much they were no longer comfortable. After a ton of shoes (I'm talking about 15 pair), I found the Bont, and never went back.

That reminds me- I've got a ton of 46s to sell in the Classifieds.

This is good to hear as I loved my Specialized Pro road shoes until the design changed, plus I'd grown to a size 50.

doomridesout
06-10-2019, 06:59 PM
I recently bought a pair of Vaypor Gs here and realized: it’s time to admit I have a wide foot. Not a picky regular foot, but a big ol flipper. “Reputed to be wide in normal sizes” no longer cuts it. Liked em but need the wides.

Anybody want a pair of size 43 Vaypor Gs in great shape for $150?

ultraman6970
06-10-2019, 10:30 PM
I have used bont and are good shoes, my issue with them is that were tad small, since was a test I did not care that much. Im in lake now and always looking for a set of bonts for the right price and the right size at ebay.

I have not read the other guys input in bonts ok? so i will give you mine with the issues and how I fixed them.

I have flexible arches so my feet tend to flat the arches, that bieing said if you have the problem then the shoe will pinch you a little bit, when you try it.

THe A1s i have are stupidly stiff, and probably the only one that stiff I had tried is the high end 500 bucks lake.

If the Bont shoe bothers you while trying them in your living room doesnt mean they will bother you in the bike, the shoe is designed to riding a bike, not for going to starbucks ok?.

Coming back to the arches thing, if your arches are low the shoe will pinch you and probably will hurt you in the arch, the reason is because the guy built it with a really high and stiff arch, the issue with that is that not everybody has the arch in the same place :)... in my case if i use a size 36/37 insole, the heel and the arch are in the perfect position.

That being said, to avoid the pinching/hurting of the arch what i did was to use pieces of cork sheet to kind'a smooth the arch transition from the front to the back. I will explain... the imagine like a mountain tip, since is the tip the one that is bothering what I did was to add material in front and back of the tip in that way the curve is smooth and you distribute the load through the whole arch, not only in the tip. THat way the pain went away. It will take some testing till you get it right.

Molding, well the A1 i got was the wrong size, molding helped but what I had to do was just make my own super thin insoles of cork sheet, was the only way for me to make more room... doubt will be the problem of the op since he is getting the right size, i was like half number too small.

The arch I cant tell you if you can mold it because is a really stiff area, the rest of the shoe I imagine with new models is easier to mold, there is a big chance you dont need to mold anything because the shoes are really big, one thing tho... they will feel weird, as i said before arent made for walking so the 1st try will be super weird, once in the bike you will notice that the shoe just works.

Hope this helps.

Bikeman7
06-11-2019, 06:28 PM
I have worn Bont Vaypors in 44.5 wide for four years. They fit great and have a wide footbed. Before the Bonts I wore Sidi Genius Mega’s in a size 43.5. I always felt my foot “spilled over” the Sidi footbead; something that does not happen with the Bonts. For both shoes, I wear an orthotic that takes up some space. My normal shoe is a 9.5 EE.

pdonk
06-11-2019, 07:04 PM
I would agree. Don't judge them by standing or walking in them. Mine were torture devices until on the bike then except for the bolt issue almost disappeared on my feet.

The lakes are similar. Not good to walk in but are unnoticeable on the bike.

In terms of molding the arch I was able to adjust it enough so it cupped and supported my feet properly.

RKW
06-12-2019, 09:14 AM
I never found an explanation on what "Asian Fit" meant, good to know.

Asian Fit refers to Wide in the tow box and narrow through the heel

weiwentg
06-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Asian Fit refers to Wide in the tow box and narrow through the heel

I was under the impression that it was more like higher volume in the toe box, not necessarily wider. I Googled this, and in Bont's case, you appear to be right: Asian fit means wider but lower-volume forefoot, narrower heel. Corroboration from Cyclingtips' (https://cyclingtips.com/2015/05/bont-vaypor-s-shoe-review/) and Red Kite Prayer's (https://redkiteprayer.com/2018/05/the-chassis-bont-vaypor-shoes/) reviews of the Bont Vaypor+.

RKW
06-12-2019, 09:37 AM
I was under the impression that it was more like higher volume in the toe box, not necessarily wider. I Googled this, and in Bont's case, you appear to be right: Asian fit means wider but lower-volume forefoot, narrower heel. Corroboration from Cyclingtips' (https://cyclingtips.com/2015/05/bont-vaypor-s-shoe-review/) and Red Kite Prayer's (https://redkiteprayer.com/2018/05/the-chassis-bont-vaypor-shoes/) reviews of the Bont Vaypor+.

As the owner of 4 pair in Asian fit Bonts, I know I’m right. That said, everyone else is right. If they don’t feel amazing in the store, moulding then isn’t going to make it any better. And they are hot. So much so that I’m trying a pair of the SWorks EXO out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weiwentg
06-12-2019, 09:46 AM
As the owner of 4 pair in Asian fit Bonts, I know I’m right. That said, everyone else is right. If they don’t feel amazing in the store, moulding then isn’t going to make it any better. And they are hot. So much so that I’m trying a pair of the SWorks EXO out...

Interesting about the Specialized shoes: the S-Works shoes seem to fit me pretty well, even in the standard width. James Huang (writes for Cyclingtips) also reviewed their fit very favorably.

RKW
06-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Interesting about the Specialized shoes: the S-Works shoes seem to fit me pretty well, even in the standard width. James Huang (writes for Cyclingtips) also reviewed their fit very favorably.

Truth be told, I wanted to hate them, but they’re surprisingly comfortable, and cool. That said, they’re ugly as sin.

jimoots
06-12-2019, 04:14 PM
I have had a pair for around 2 years (30,000km) and they are good, but being white they’re starting to look tired.

I have wide feet and a bunion, so 44 wide is just wide enough for me. I’d consider custom for my next shoe.

I found they have a pretty high arch out of the box. I tried moulding to fix this (I have low arches) but actually found that by putting a Shimano inner sole in (with no arch) it balanced the arch and made the shoe suit.

Otherwise I did mold the front end of the shoe for extra width. Bont suggest using the oven, but I found a heat gun was good for working on pressure spots.

The heat gun was much faster than the oven technique and also easier to work on pressure spots one by one as I found when you pop a shoe in the oven, it somewhat returns back to original shape.

As far as heat goes, I am in Australia and it’s pretty warm here. It’s not unusual to be 30+Degrees and I rode a couple of times at 45 degrees (113F). The shoes didn’t bother me (not to say the heat didnt)!

donevwil
06-12-2019, 04:26 PM
I appreciate all the input. Gives me some food for thought, unfortunately it still looks as though my only option is to buy a pair, try them on and return them if they're not for me.

Do any of you Bont Wide or Asian fit folks think trying on a standard width Bont Vaypor in my size would be of any value knowing my foot is absolutely a wide (or Asian fit)?

Now that I have a better understanding of the various Lake lasts it might serve me to try an MX237 with the competition last.

FlashUNC
06-12-2019, 04:58 PM
I appreciate all the input. Gives me some food for thought, unfortunately it still looks as though my only option is to buy a pair, try them on and return them if they're not for me.

Do any of you Bont Wide or Asian fit folks think trying on a standard width Bont Vaypor in my size would be of any value knowing my foot is absolutely a wide (or Asian fit)?

Now that I have a better understanding of the various Lake lasts it might serve me to try an MX237 with the competition last.

Yes to your width question. If the outside of your foot is rubbing in the toe box straight outta the box, it won't get fixed by molding.

Blown Reek
06-12-2019, 06:56 PM
And for what it's worth, I've never molded the soles on any of my Bont shoes. They fit nicely right out the box.

sun
06-13-2019, 12:14 AM
Previous shoes were Bont Vaypor Helix in size 42 wide. They generally worked fine. Heel cup was nice as you can mold it, but otherwise, molding didn't do anything for me. I didn't feel like they were wide enough. I'm now on Lake CX237 Wide in 42. Toe box is bigger, but not as foot shaped as the Bont. They are a lot higher volume as there is extra material on the top of the shoe. The Lake heel cup isn't nearly as good as other shoes. The CX237 isn't moldable, so that doesn't help. Overall, I wish I could get a combo of the 2 shoes, which is really just a wider Bont.

glepore
06-13-2019, 07:32 AM
Just to dogpile, I've been riding Bonts almost exclusively for 5 years or so.
The online size guide is better than it used to be.
The insoles, as mentioned, suck. I have morton's neuroma, and that combined with the stiffness is a problem. A good insole like sofsole or similar with a metatarsal pad solves that.
They're warm, but not as hot as some people claim.
The t nuts for the cleats can me easily moved if you want a more midfoot cleat position.
Heat molding only works if you go at it with something like the handle of a screwdriver, and then only for small pressure points.
All that said, if they do fit, the toebox is amazing.

ultraman6970
06-13-2019, 07:43 AM
THat i know of nobody here sells asian fit, and from what I know the asian feet fit is wide at the toe and tight in the heel, shoe might be set for lower instep. Doubt will be like a big of a difference tho. Never seen an asian fit bont shoe but im asian tho... :P

For the dude using the cx237 having problems, if you have kids pick the insoles of your kids which will be smaller (test), that will sit the heel lower. I have that issue and thats how I fixed up. I have insoles # 36/37 and just cut the front of another shoe to fill up the difference to a 45. After 30 minutes you wont feel the joint anymore. Hope this helps. Took me years to figure it out this trick.

the bottle ride
06-13-2019, 10:11 AM
I have a couple of pairs- I have had other high end carbon shoes including Rocket 7’s:

My take on the shoes is that they are light and amazingly stiff. They are great shoes for putting power to the pedals- I really feel like they add power/speed for sprints or intense efforts
I think they are comfortable for rides under 4 hours.

But they are so stiff that for longer rides my feet start to hurt- I have never had a pair of shoes do that before.
I have not tried different foot beds etc and maybe that would make the difference.

If I was racing crits these would be perfect- but for longer rides I prefer the swork shoes I have.

doomridesout
06-14-2019, 10:40 PM
Previous shoes were Bont Vaypor Helix in size 42 wide. They generally worked fine. Heel cup was nice as you can mold it, but otherwise, molding didn't do anything for me. I didn't feel like they were wide enough. I'm now on Lake CX237 Wide in 42. Toe box is bigger, but not as foot shaped as the Bont. They are a lot higher volume as there is extra material on the top of the shoe. The Lake heel cup isn't nearly as good as other shoes. The CX237 isn't moldable, so that doesn't help. Overall, I wish I could get a combo of the 2 shoes, which is really just a wider Bont.

I had the CX237 in regular width as the best fit I've had so far, but then I switched to the CX332 in wide fit-- VERY nice and much like you describe. It's a nice last.

ultraman6970
06-14-2019, 11:43 PM
How the 332 compare to the 237?? same shoe size or you had to go smaller?

donevwil
06-15-2019, 12:11 AM
How the 332 compare to the 237?? same shoe size or you had to go smaller?I'm curious as well.

As I understad it 2XX series Lakes are competition last while 3XX are the race last. Race are supposed to have a narrower toe box and heel than comp.

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
06-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Im asking because like 2 years ago got at the bay a good deal for the kangoroo 500 bucks shoe in the same size i use and the thing was massively big, no oven process was going to fix it. So big that felt like a 47 and im like 44.5/45... had to return them, never knew if the shoe was wrong labeled, or are really that big and now that you mention like regular wide vs super extra extra wide in the expensive shoes it could make sense what happened to me.

In a blog around the same time contacted the blogger and he told me that he never noticed but the same super expensive shoe he was using like 2 numbers less than in the regular priced to cheap lake shoes. But since nobody actually mentioned that important detail in any review, i always ask and never get an answer. Like "you want 500 bucks shoes, do the homework! im not going to tell you!!!" type of thing going on... :)

doomridesout
06-15-2019, 10:17 AM
I went from CX237 in 42 to CX332 in 42.5 wide. But my feet seem to be getting fatter, somehow. Keep in mind the variance in these handmade shoes. I got MX237s in 42 going off my CX237s. They were too small, despite theoretically being the same last and sizing. Frustrating, really.

Blown Reek
06-18-2019, 10:23 AM
In case anyone's looking for a set of Bont shoes, they're currently running a 30% off sale. The code is BONT30EOFY.

donevwil
06-18-2019, 10:34 AM
In case anyone's looking for a set of Bont shoes, they're currently running a 30% off sale. The code is BONT30EOFY.

Darn, just tried it but the "selected models and colors" limitation bit me.

Blown Reek
06-18-2019, 11:00 AM
Sorry about that... the Helix, Vapor S, Vaypor+, Riot, and Riot+ MTB are eligible. And the coupon code has to be all caps.

David Tollefson
06-18-2019, 11:29 AM
"Coupon has already been redeemed."

Blown Reek
06-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Interesting. It's shouldn't be a unique code, considering that they're doing a "30% off End of Fiscal Year sale". YMMV, disgregard me, and all that.

Edit: Yep- looks like it's already been used.

donevwil
06-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Interesting. It's shouldn't be a unique code, considering that they're doing a "30% off End of Fiscal Year sale". YMMV, disgregard me, and all that.

Edit: Yep- looks like it's already been used.

I received an email with the same code. I've sent them an email inquiring, imagine they'll get back to me once the code is formally void.

donevwil
06-18-2019, 06:16 PM
Scratch that, still doesn't work for me although Bont did send a "fixed it" email.

l0n3rider
06-18-2019, 08:32 PM
just to add ..

previously i used bont vaypor 43W, bont zero 43W and bont vaypor s 43W .. currently in love with lake CX332

i have wide feet. before bont, i have tried few shimanos .. bont was better than shimano .. but lake is perfect

i guess the thing i learnt .. bont is good, but you need to know whether your feet will expand a lot during the long/hot ride .. because the shoe will not expand. that is why .. normally they recommend 2 size up. unfortunately for small rider like me .. the bigger the shoe, the lesser the toe and front tyre clearance

to my knowledge .. only bont and lake are truly wide design .. other brands normally use the same sole as the standard version .. and put more material to the top for more space ..

i could be wrong

donevwil
06-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Just confirmed, the 30% discount code is working.

weiwentg
08-28-2019, 04:09 PM
to my knowledge .. only bont and lake are truly wide design .. other brands normally use the same sole as the standard version .. and put more material to the top for more space ..

Just adding a bit of info. This article (https://www.bikeradar.com/features/wide-shoes-why-you-need-them-and-which-brand-makes-the-best/) on Bike Radar seems to corroborate what you said. They list Bont and Lake as actually having wide lasts. They state that:

There’s a big difference between wide, as Lake and Bont do, and ‘extra volume’ as virtually every other brand is doing.

Bont and Lake are both creating shoes that embrace forefoot width and expansion, while leaving the rest of the shoe alone. This requires them to make different shoes than the standard versions, which is not cost effective for them, but is a benefit to riders.

Contrarily, most companies take the extra volume route because it allows them to add material to the upper without creating a new lower — this is simply a cost equation. They claim that allowing riders to ‘spill over’ the edge is a solution.

Anyway, they say that Shimano, Sidi, and Bontrager all seem to use the high volume approach in their wide shoes. Giro wasn't discussed, but they have some high volume shoes (suffixed with HV), and I'm going to assume the lasts are identical to the regular shoes.

ultraman6970
08-28-2019, 04:36 PM
They claim that allowing riders to ‘spill over’ the edge is a solution. <--- which pretty much is not the best for many riders or bont and lake would have been dead upon arrival to the shoe market. At the opposite, looks like they have been taking market from everybody, specially lake.

But the main problem with both brands is that their distribution chain is bad IMO.

weiwentg
09-05-2019, 06:59 AM
- Many here appear to have tried Bonts, but only a bit of feedback exists. There have been quite a few for sale in the classifieds (bad sign?).

- Online consensus appears to be when they fit they are the best, but they don't always fit and the heat moldability can only make minor adjustments. Quality also appears to be merely OK.

- Should I purchase from Bont's online store? I've tried multiple times to try/buy locally (or even semi-locally, SF, East Bay) and no shop that sells them was even remotely interested in ordering a 50 Wide for me to try even after I committed to buy if they fit.

I ordered a pair of size 40 standard Bont Riot MTB+s from Worldwide Cyclery on eBay. 365 Cycles also will sell mail order.

I sized myself using Bont's online calculator. Lengthwise, it appears accurate. I was going for a tighter fit lengthwise than my current shoes.

Width-wise, I measured myself at 95mm, and the size chart said the shoes fit up to 97mm width. I was disappointed here. The shoe's bathtub is pressing on my big toes. The uppers are a bit tight around my little toes.

I have somewhat flat feet. The bathtub is pressing on my arches. I don't have super-flat feet, so I was hoping to escape this issue.

I might try size 40.5 or 41. The size 41s will actually be as long as my current road shoes (which are a bit long). However, I may just give up on Bonts entirely because they fit so strangely. I might try Lakes in a wide 39. I tried a standard 40, and it was fine up front but too loose in the heel.

The two retailers I mentioned do stock wide versions of some Bont shoes, but not in all sizes. I called both to talk about fit in general, and neither seemed willing to order the wide versions of a specific size. You could press the issue with them and see if they're willing. They don't appear to stock the narrow or Asia fit versions at all. If Bont wants to get more traction, they have to do something different about their US distribution channels.

Alaska Mike
09-13-2019, 03:29 PM
This thread was a large help to me.

After 15+ years of wearing through several pairs of Specialized Pros (in a 45 wide), the supplies of NOS or lightly used shoes in my preferred versions had pretty much dried up. Attempts to find other shoes that worked as well failed to varying degrees. Specialized, Sidi Megas, Bontragers... nothing was really working and I don't want to think about how much money is sitting in boxes, unused on the shelf.

But, based on this thread and a little research, I picked up some Lake CX218s. Just an amazing shoe for my malformed flippers that doesn't completely break the bank. I'd had Lake winter boots before, but these were light-years better fitting.

Thanks again.

donevwil
12-12-2019, 01:30 PM
Question for the Bont savvy:

I purchased a pair of Riot MTB+ in 50 wide for a great price during their Black Friday sale. This is likely my only opportunity to try Bonts for a reasonable sum. A day after purchase Bont emails informing me that they do not stock 50W and would I please forward my feet measurements (whaaa??). I do and they reply I need custom, a 50W won't fit. These are the same numbers that yield 50W on their online size calculator, reduce any dim by 1mm and the calculator yields 49 regular.

I asked repeatedly why they achieve different results than the calculator and receive only vague replies.

They will send the 50Ws in 5-6 weeks if I want, but don't recommend it. Why?

Anyone with large and/or wide feet have negative experience with the online sizing calculator?

I had written off Bont since no one carries 50W or would work with me to try one and purchased a pair of Lake MX237s in 50W, but the fit is merely OK.

Should I just go with the Riot MTB+ in 50W or get a refund?

donevwil
12-13-2019, 03:12 PM
Anyone have an opinion?

Probably safest to get the refund, but that'll mean custom is now my only option.

oldguy00
12-13-2019, 08:18 PM
Anyone have an opinion?

Probably safest to get the refund, but that'll mean custom is now my only option.

If you really want them, then go ahead and order?

I ordered a pair of shoes from them last December during their black friday sale, and they messaged me saying they weren't in stock but would make them and send them in 5 weeks, which they did.

This year, I wanted to try another pair. Same thing, emailed back saying it would take 5 weeks. I messaged them back and asked if they were making them fresh, is there any chance they could make the toe box volume a few mm's higher than usual. I did not expect them to say yes, but they wrote back and said for a $30 upcharge for the custom work, they would. I thought that was pretty fair on top of the 30% BF discount (Bont Zero+ tri shoes).