PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite seat post and why?

madsciencenow
06-10-2019, 06:34 AM
After a recent mishap with a carbon fiber seat post where I spent an absurd amount of time extracting the post from my bike one carbon chunk at a time, I've been thinking more about my seat post than I have in the past. I'm wondering what people like and why? I should mention that the mishap was completely self-induced and was no fault of the really nice Enve post (lesson learned). In addition, does your preference change based on the frame material (e.g. carbon, aluminum, steel, etc.)? How much does aesthetics weigh into your consideration? Does anyone believe there is an actual perceivable performance difference between materials and/or posts?

AngryScientist
06-10-2019, 06:50 AM
At this stage of the game, I choose seatposts that are "battle tested" by me.

In other words, seatposts that I have used in the past that i know to be trouble free over thousands of miles. that means: true to diameter, solid saddle clamp design with no slipping or creaking and good adjustability.

For zero setback - thomson is hard to beat
For setback versions - I have found Ritchey and Fizik to be excellent

Both Ritchey and Fizik make alloy and carbon versions, so choose based on weight desired and budget.

No, i have never believed or experienced that you can tell a difference between an alloy and carbon post. Caveat - none of my bikes have a ton of seatpost showing...

Nomadmax
06-10-2019, 07:48 AM
Campy Record, aluminum with no flutes. Infinite tilt adjust-ability with no teeth to make it "a little too high or a little too low". That said, they aren't for compact frames as they aren't that long but all I ride is older steel bikes.

mktng
06-10-2019, 07:51 AM
straight posts as mentioned above. Thomson is my fave
set back, of the posts i've used, my older style Moots seat post is my fave

i try and stay away from carbon posts. im too clumsy

R3awak3n
06-10-2019, 08:40 AM
My favorite post is the ritchey superlogic. Good looking, very light, easy to adjust, so far very durable. Negatives will be the price and for some reason my big fat legs rug on the clamp mechanism so the paint has rubbed off and is now silver.

Also have an ENVE post, I actually really like the older ENVE posts, the new ones work fine but not a fan of the, depends on how you put the clamp its how much you tilt the saddle, makes for very awkeward installation. That said, good looking post and has been working flawlessly.

I just bought a 3T, a zero25. So far its pretty good but would not buy again, installation is kind of annoying, having to put carbon paste in there and too many moving pieces for me. I do like that it can be a no setback and a 25mm setback at the same time, that is pretty cool.

A big favorite of mine is of course the campy TI seatpost, one of the prettiest post, light, works great. Good luck finding one that is not a bazillion dollars though or beat to ****.

oldpotatoe
06-10-2019, 08:40 AM
After a recent mishap with a carbon fiber seat post where I spent an absurd amount of time extracting the post from my bike one carbon chunk at a time, I've been thinking more about my seat post than I have in the past. I'm wondering what people like and why? I should mention that the mishap was completely self-induced and was no fault of the really nice Enve post (lesson learned). In addition, does your preference change based on the frame material (e.g. carbon, aluminum, steel, etc.)? How much does aesthetics weigh into your consideration? Does anyone believe there is an actual perceivable performance difference between materials and/or posts?

My requirements are bike fit requirements, set back or non and ease of saddle tilt adjustability. Really liked Thomson for number 2(adjustability)...easy to put level on saddle and watch how angle changed. Same for Moots...Campag makes really nice posts but got tired of the measure, loosen, tap, tighten, measure, repeat.....plus those with serrated cradles means ya might not be able to get it exact, tilt wise.

Matthew
06-10-2019, 08:41 AM
I have three brands on four bikes. Ritchey is probably my favorite though I had a hard time diagnosing a creak I had for weeks that was coming from a dirty rail clamp. I have an FSA that has served me very well. And a sleeper post brand is Oval. I have a carbon and aluminum. Both have been great. Well made and a rail clamp just like the Ritchey. And typically less expensive than other brands.

mass_biker
06-10-2019, 08:48 AM
Favorite posts:

- Thomson - best zero setback choice
- Ritchey - best choice if you need setback

Honorable mention:

- My DA 7400 - not terribly technologically advanced, but it sure looks pretty, and has worked great for these decades...

gomango
06-10-2019, 08:54 AM
Nitto s83

Adjustability to set the correct tilt level. Holds like a vise.

Looks nice as well. imho

dave thompson
06-10-2019, 08:55 AM
My choice is and has been for years the Salsa Shaft. It allows fore/aft and tilt adjustments completely independent from each other and adjusting one doesn’t affect the other. Makes set up and adjustments incredibly easy.

El Chaba
06-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Selcof. They've been closed for a few years now, but their design is still licensed out to a few companies it seems. They are fiddly to set up, but once done they are rock solid. This same design was used by Time, PMP, WR Compositi and others...

scottcw2
06-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Salsa Shaft or Miche Supertype. Both have medium setback and, more important to me, the fore-aft and angle adjustments are independent. I set fore-aft and it stays in place while I adjust angle.

chunkylover53
06-10-2019, 10:08 AM
Eriksen sweet post. Well made, comfy, light. The rail mechanism is great and easy to use (I'm also a Thomson fan - this system is much better). They're pricey, but I figured I'll always be able to use a 27.2 post among my bikes.

PacNW2Ford
06-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Boutique: Eriksen
For carbon rails: Thomson with oversize cradle
Workhorses: Fi’zi:k (black) and Nitto S-83 (silver)
Also, I don’t use Fi’zi:k with Fabric saddles, no technical reason, just has to be matchy poo city...
Oh yeah, one LS dropper, but it came with the bike.

mtechnica
06-10-2019, 10:51 AM
The Ultegra sp-6600

MagicHour
06-10-2019, 11:00 AM
I have:
Zipp Service Course 0 - great post, simple and effective adjustment mech, lightweight and reliable
Deda RSx2 - S.A.B., set it and forget it

Both are aluminum, had a Carbon post crack on me in the past (my fault). For me, carbon not worth the added kid gloves and worry /vs/ negligible performance benefits /vs/ my abilities and type of riding I do. Maybe on aero frame I'd go carbon though.

To add, on aesthetics (and O.C.D.) Ideally I'd prefer Seatpost/Stem/Bars to all be from same brand/finish, however, fit/setback requirements etc. trump this, so currently my bikes have 'mismatched' brand posts...and I'm ok with that.

OtayBW
06-10-2019, 11:11 AM
My requirements are bike fit requirements, set back or non and ease of saddle tilt adjustability.Exactamundo.

Eriksen - for the most highly exalted aesthetic, but I typically ride carbon on my bikes.
Deda Superlagerro - for moderate (12 mm) setback
Deda Superzero - for more (~21) setback, or
Enve - for more setback.
Thompson - for zero setback, but I have about given up on zero SB

I particularly like the adjustability on the Deda posts.

madsciencenow
06-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Exactamudo.

Thompson - for zero setback, but I have about given up on zero SB

What's your objection to zero SB? Is it particular to your dimensions versus standard bike dimensions or?

OtayBW
06-10-2019, 11:32 AM
What's your objection to zero SB? Is it particular to your dimensions versus standard bike dimensions or?
I used zero SPs for years (short femurs, or so I thought), but over time, I became more tuned in to fore/aft weight distribution and began to move the saddle back well behind KOPS. I don't make drastic changes, but this farther back position has evolved over time to much better fit and performance for me. I now use the a different SP for whatever the frame setback dictates.

mcteague
06-10-2019, 01:20 PM
I used to favor the Fizik Cyrano aluminum post but, when I moved to Selle SMP saddles I found the Thomson zero setback works best. The SMPs sit more forward than most saddles and the tilt can be critical. The Thomson makes making slight adjustments a breeze. Plus, once set, it stays set. I also have a Ritchey single bolt model than is a PITA to setup. Once done, its fine, but the clamping mech is too fussy IMO.

Tim

macaroon
06-10-2019, 01:30 PM
The best setback post is a BMC TCC carbon

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/cropped/node-gallery-display/images/BMC%20GF02%202013/BMC%20GF02%20-%20seatpost.jpg

Inline is the Syntace P6 Hiflex

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0065/7772/products/Syntace_P6_Seat_Post_Head_large.png

guyintense
06-10-2019, 01:30 PM
I really like the early Syncros, in aluminium or ti. It's a great design, maybe that's why Thomson copied it.

zzy
06-10-2019, 02:12 PM
+1 on Syntace (which actually has variable 0-15mm setback)

weiwentg
06-10-2019, 02:25 PM
Thomson has been covered extensively and there's not much else to say.

Albert Bold (http://www.boldprecision.com)'s seatposts are less well known, so I'll put in a plug. I was lucky enough to find a used one for $40. It's very light and it has been reliable. The clamp was slipping at one point, but Albert helped me diagnose and fix the issue - I forgot what he had me do, but it might have been just cleaning the saddle rails or something similarly easy. No trouble since then.

His current price point is actually more than Eriksen's for most common sizes. His seatpost hardware has fewer color options also. So, the next time I have $260 burning a hole in my pocket, I may have to go get a sweetpost. That said, absolutely no complaints. If you're counting grams, I recall the weight being at least comparable to Eriksen in similar lengths.

Elefantino
06-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Thomson has been covered extensively and there's not much else to say.

Except that the posts are like CK headsets: You buy one, it lasts forever and there's never a need for an upgrade.

Dino Suegiù
06-10-2019, 04:43 PM
PMP for titanium; WR Compositi for carbon fiber.

weiwentg
06-10-2019, 05:01 PM
Except that the posts are like CK headsets: You buy one, it lasts forever and there's never a need for an upgrade.

You might get a new bike, though.

colker
06-10-2019, 06:27 PM
I really like the early Syncros, in aluminium or ti. It's a great design, maybe that's why Thomson copied it.

Design is from Interloc Racing. That´s where syncros took it from.

Louis
06-10-2019, 06:43 PM
Gotta be this one: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=29395

Why? Self explanatory.

charliedid
06-10-2019, 06:52 PM

Why? Self explanatory.

:banana:

MattTuck
06-10-2019, 06:54 PM

Why? Self explanatory.

Was my exact thought as well, I was ready to post 3 or 4 of my old ones :) :banana:

Dave
06-10-2019, 07:14 PM
FSA k-force. The 2 bolt rocker style clamp can't be beat. Several setbacks to choose from.

I've been using them for over 10 years with no problem.

guyintense
06-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Design is from Interloc Racing. That´s where syncros took it from.

I've never seen that design before and it came out in 1984. The U.S. patent was sold to Kalloy Industries in 1995, I wonder when Syncros started using it.
Thanks for clearing that up.

colker
06-10-2019, 08:06 PM
I've never seen that design before and it came out in 1984. The U.S. patent was sold to Kalloy Industries in 1995, I wonder when Syncros started using it.
Thanks for clearing that up.

IRD came up w/ the first 2 bolt/ craddle in line post. I believe they failed to patent some of their designs and can´t remember right now if their seat post is one of those.

fried bake
06-10-2019, 08:16 PM
Would be curious to hear opinions of the Canyon VSL C seat post. Anyone have an experience with this one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

choke
06-10-2019, 08:19 PM
My hands down favorite is the old 2-bolt Nuovo Record. It's heavy but it's infinitely adjustable and will stay put on rough roads, unlike some single bolt posts.

GOTHBROOKS
06-10-2019, 08:23 PM
that proprietary square bmc seatpost so you know for sure your saddle is at its 100% straightest forward angle.

colker
06-10-2019, 08:24 PM
My hands down favorite is the old 2-bolt Nuovo Record. It's heavy but it's infinitely adjustable and will stay put on rough roads, unlike some single bolt posts.

If weight won´t matter i will include the Suntour Superbe/xc pro post for those same reasons you bring. Bonus is suntour appearance which was always in good taste.

SoCalSteve
06-10-2019, 08:29 PM
Moots Cinch post. By far the finest, simplest, most exacting clamping system on any seat post, anywhere. If you’ve never used one, you wouldn’t understand. If you have, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

Ken Robb
06-10-2019, 08:31 PM
Am I the only person who thought this whole thread was about "posts" we may have made on Paceline?

colker
06-10-2019, 08:37 PM
that proprietary square bmc seatpost so you know for sure your saddle is at its 100% straightest forward angle.

Cycling is about circles, roundness, curves. Unless it´s those triangles from a a diamond frame. Why have a square seatpost?

GOTHBROOKS
06-10-2019, 08:39 PM
i dont know about you but im all about pedaling squares on the weekends.

charliedid
06-10-2019, 08:42 PM

Speaking of squares I could use a smoke.

colker
06-10-2019, 08:51 PM

I like pedaling triangles on 700x28 tires.

scoobydrew
06-10-2019, 11:00 PM
Specialized S-Works FACT Carbon. Have them on a couple of my bikes.

https://i.imgur.com/fPwbyu5h.jpg

ultraman6970
06-10-2019, 11:02 PM
Campagnolo aluminum, record, titanium, chorus... cda... whatever... dont have any compact frames so...

Billybob62
06-11-2019, 06:35 AM
Zero Setback = Thomson
Max Setback = Paul Components

madsciencenow
06-11-2019, 07:26 AM
Moots Cinch post. By far the finest, simplest, most exacting clamping system on any seat post, anywhere. If you’ve never used one, you wouldn’t understand. If you have, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

I completely agree! However, I wish there was an aluminum version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saab2000
06-11-2019, 07:40 AM
I really like these Fizik posts. This is obviously the whole bike and it doesn't match the stem unfortunately or the bars. But these Fizik posts look really good, are infinitely adjustable and support the rails over a significant length of the rail, both top and bottom. I'm always leery of posts that only grab like 3/4" or or even less of the rails.

I have two of these on different bikes.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48043205532_76cb215b19_b.jpg

tv_vt
06-11-2019, 08:14 AM
Haven't read through all the comments, so this one may have already been mentioned a dozen times, but for me, it's gotta be the alloy Fizik seatposts. Only seatpost I use now. Have them in both 27.2 and 31.8mm sizes.

They work well and are simple to adjust and fine-tune as far as seat angle. Good setback range, too. And not expensive. And they look pretty nice imo.

Winner.

PS. Saab2k just beat me to it.

PPS. Will add that Shimano Ultegra and DA posts are fantastic if it's silver finish you're after. I had a Look 481sl that needed a 25.0 seatpost. Tried 3 different ones including the carbon Look before trying a 25.0 DA post. Was amazed at how much more solid and composed the bike rode with that post. Really transformed the bike in a way I was not expecting.

tv_vt
06-11-2019, 08:18 AM
Am I the only person who thought this whole thread was about "posts" we may have made on Paceline?

Yes, I went down that alley, too, Ken. Thread needs the word "seat" added to the title...:help:

alancw3
06-11-2019, 08:36 AM
I just bought a seat post for my beater bike. 450mm long aluminum black shipped from china. $13.49 shipped on eBay. I was apprehensive when I bought but I said what the hell I spend more than that on beer. anyway after approximately 3 weeks I got the post. wait this was not a post for my beater bike. this post could be on any bike I owned. the quality was exceptional. I actually do not see how the seat post can be sold for that and shipped form china. do any of you guys know how that can happen and someone still making money?

Gummee
06-11-2019, 08:38 AM
No, i have never believed or experienced that you can tell a difference between an alloy and carbon post. Caveat - none of my bikes have a ton of seatpost showing...So there I was... riding the 24hrs of Canaan in what?! 96? on my S-Works carbon HT with a Dean Ti post. I kept thinking how soft the rear end was with the flex from the seatpost. Still have a Dean Ti post on my P650b.

Put the same seatpost on a road bike and it feels like any other seatpost.

My first few CX races, I was riding a Ritchey seatpost. Landed just wrong and had the saddle pointed sky high. Went to 2-bolt (fore and aft) seatposts right after. Now I'm on Zipp posts for CX.

Road isn't quite as critical so I'll ride whatever gets the saddle in the right spot

M

saab2000
06-11-2019, 08:42 AM
do any of you guys know how that can happen and someone still making money?

Keep the value of the national currency unnaturally low in order to have good exchange rates and low labor costs and have low environmental standards? Those might be a couple places to start.

colker
06-11-2019, 08:44 AM
... and support the rails over a significant length of the rail, both top and bottom. I'm always leery of posts that only grab like 3/4" or or even less of the rails.

I believe most of the "ride quality" coming from seatposts is due to short craddles which let titanium rails flex a bit more. I may be wrong though.

Best lightest safest post around has to be thomson. It does have a long craddle. It´s so good it´s boring.

Tickdoc
06-11-2019, 09:35 AM

NO you are not the only one. I was going to say I really like velotels posts best with all the pretty French alps pics :)

Tickdoc
06-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Posts are something I only think about when planning a build. I’d have to say the old single bolt campy posts are my favorite. I’ll take any single bolt post that doesn’t loosen and dosn’t make me act like a contortionist to affix it.

alancw3
06-11-2019, 09:38 AM
Keep the value of the national currency unnaturally low in order to have good exchange rates and low labor costs and have low environmental standards? Those might be a couple places to start.

yeah you have turned me off. I have always been an advocate of buy America. I just wish our American companies would feel the same way. it's all about profit for them. money money! gm I would not buy car or suv for them with a 3 (Mexico) designation in the vin number. I actually tried to order a suburban from gm THAT WAS NOT BUILT IN MEXICO. guess what they could not accept my order as suburbans are built in Mexico and the us. I think that is sad, It's a changing world and I am just glad that I am 72 years old I
will not see what happens twenty years from now.

madsciencenow
06-11-2019, 10:46 AM
yeah you have turned me off. I have always been an advocate of buy America. I just wish our American companies would feel the same way. it's all about profit for them. money money! gm I would not buy car or suv for them with a 3 (Mexico) designation in the vin number. I actually tried to order a suburban from gm THAT WAS NOT BUILT IN MEXICO. guess what they could not accept my order as suburbans are built in Mexico and the us. I think that is sad, It's a changing world and I am just glad that I am 72 years old I
will not see what happens twenty years from now.

I think it's important to point out that the same profit that American companies are all about is what drives many of our retirement plans. If profit doesn't happen, investment doesn't happen, if investment doesn't happen the market shrinks and my retirement goes in the tank. My point is that many of us are complicit in the changing world we live in. I'm not trying to open a can of worms but I think it's important to ask the "why" question. This same argument probably/likely applies to climate change.

Kirk007
06-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Titanium: PMP
Alloy:. Fizik
Carbon: WR Compositi or Syntace - both seem overbuilt, which I like for this material.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Ozz
06-11-2019, 12:21 PM

No.

:cool:

Lewis Moon
06-11-2019, 01:44 PM
The one that keeps my grollies off the top tube.

jamesdak
06-12-2019, 07:31 AM
Well, since I have so many bikes I've got a lot of different seatposts. For looks in most case I prefer one of the Campagnole Aero looking stems with a beautiful shiny finish. But reality is I use whatever seatpost comes with the bike if it allows me to get the fit I need.

When I do have to get a replacement I pretty much go with the Thomson seatpost if it'll give me the fit I need. Like everyone says, light, strong, great adjustability, and they just plain keep working.

johnniecakes
06-12-2019, 09:39 AM
All mine are aluminum and either Thompson or Zipp. Any new ones I buy will be Zipp, excellent quality and $55 from backcountry

Black Dog
06-12-2019, 09:44 AM
I think the high water mark for aesthetics has been set by Campy and Shimano.

https://www.vintagevelo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/DSC_0078-3.jpg

https://auctions.c.yimg.jp/images.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/image/dr000/auc0405/users/3/1/6/5/eiji2047-img600x600-1525525548rtexat1045.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/6157/6175441622_0ff49e3c6e_b.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IEAAAOSwjlxc6vHd/s-l1600.jpg

madsciencenow
06-12-2019, 10:04 AM
All mine are aluminum and either Thompson or Zipp. Any new ones I buy will be Zipp, excellent quality and $55 from backcountry

I've used the Al and CF Zipp posts and one thing I like is that they don't appear to need an adapter to run oversize rails. Is this your experience as well? I haven't tried with the $55 version but have with the CF and Service Course SL Al version.

Lewis Moon
06-12-2019, 10:33 AM
I've used the Al and CF Zipp posts and one thing I like is that they don't appear to need an adapter to run oversize rails. Is this your experience as well? I haven't tried with the $55 version but have with the CF and Service Course SL Al version.

I like the Zipp posts too...you just have to be careful with the non setback posts; they have a hole in the top that lets in tire spray when it rains. I had about a liter in my Ritchey after getting caught in a storm.

konaman
06-12-2019, 07:17 PM
XTR/Dura-Ace posts - never found the need to change, either for looks or functionality.

Thomson - when I cannot find the Shimano. They are very reliable as well.

Ps. As i get on with age, I kinda settle on certain brands for some components. Oops!

phoenix
06-12-2019, 07:47 PM
I always run setback posts and these are my favorites.

Carbon:
Enve
Ritchey Super Logic

Aluminum:
Ritchey WCS 2-bolt
Paul Tall and Handsome

91Bear
06-12-2019, 07:55 PM
Selcof. They've been closed for a few years now, but their design is still licensed out to a few companies it seems. They are fiddly to set up, but once done they are rock solid. This same design was used by Time, PMP, WR Compositi and others...I broke a Selcof Carbon. Hit a small hole I did not see and it snapped. No carbon from now on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

vqdriver
06-12-2019, 11:19 PM
Loved the OG American classics. Micro adjust, huge rail platform, and crazy easy to install.

Of the newer posts I'm enjoying fizik and Thomson are fine

TheseGoTo11
06-13-2019, 07:22 AM
I ride zero setback posts on all my bikes, and I think Thomson is hard to beat. Easy to adjust and reliable. They're spendy, but I also really like the Moots Cinch Post. The clamp allows for independent fore/aft and tilt adjustment, and of course, looks great on a ti frame.

johnniecakes
06-13-2019, 09:07 AM
I ride zero setback posts on all my bikes, and I think Thomson is hard to beat. Easy to adjust and reliable. They're spendy, but I also really like the Moots Cinch Post. The clamp allows for independent fore/aft and tilt adjustment, and of course, looks great on a ti frame.

I also have zero set back on all my bikes. I prefer the Zipp's because the cradle is a little bit longer and tilt adjustment bolts are further away from the post so adjustment is easier than on Thomson. I never weighed them to see which one is lighter because I don't care about the difference. But I do like the extra $50-60 the Zipps save me.

tepextate
01-13-2021, 05:00 AM
Bump on this old thread.

For those of you who own the Thomson seatpost, is it a glossy finish?

I'm looking for a 30.9 seatpost and the Thomson looks really good based on the feedback in this thread. The only thing stopping me is the finish, which appears glossy to my eye.

Planning on throwing this on a Ti bike and I think I'm going to use a matte stem and handlebar, hence the question. Trying to envision how a glossy seatpost with brushed titanium frame/stem/handlebar would look. Highly likely I'm overthinking it. :)

Velocipede
01-13-2021, 05:58 AM
Bump on this old thread.

For those of you who own the Thomson seatpost, is it a glossy finish?

I'm looking for a 30.9 seatpost and the Thomson looks really good based on the feedback in this thread. The only thing stopping me is the finish, which appears glossy to my eye.

Planning on throwing this on a Ti bike and I think I'm going to use a matte stem and handlebar, hence the question. Trying to envision how a glossy seatpost with brushed titanium frame/stem/handlebar would look. Highly likely I'm overthinking it. :)

The alloy Thomson posts are shiny. If you wanted to scuff them with a Scotch Brite pad you could. They are also doing a grey-ish (cerakote) colored one now too as well as a brushed titanium post. Not sure if they offer it in 30.9mm size though. Attached a pic of the Thomson post in black, it's shiny.

tepextate
01-13-2021, 06:33 AM
The alloy Thomson posts are shiny. If you wanted to scuff them with a Scotch Brite pad you could. They are also doing a grey-ish (cerakote) colored one now too as well as a brushed titanium post. Not sure if they offer it in 30.9mm size though. Attached a pic of the Thomson post in black, it's shiny.
Thank you! I appreciate the confirmation.

Bob Ross
01-13-2021, 07:06 AM
Salsa Shaft or Miche Supertype.

+1 for the Salsa Shaft.

And, since those are disco'd and hard to find these days, I'm now very interested in that Miche Supertype, thanks for the recomendation!

herb5998
01-13-2021, 08:03 AM
For Carbon posts, I think the Syntace P6 HiFlex is a great option for the zero setback type of post. Large support area for rails, compatible with oval and round rails, micro adjustment, light weight, and very secure.

I think out of the alloy posts I used, Thomsons are great, but the Ti post I have from No22 (Enve hardware) is good, the easiest though by far was the Moots Sweet post that was on my Vamoots SL, so easy to adjust and very secure.

klasse
01-13-2021, 10:08 AM
Syncros titanium, tilt adjustment, everything you could want from a post.

Cornfed
01-13-2021, 11:09 AM
+1 for the Syntace P6 Hi-Flex. Looks zero setback (which I like), but actually provides a wide range of fore-aft adjustment. The "hi-flex" is so subtle as to be debatable, but why not? And it's one of the few seatposts where I don't struggle installing a saddle. I know, a simple thing, but always gives me trouble, for some reason (I'm looking at you, Enve).

robt57
01-13-2021, 11:15 AM
+1 for the Syntace P6 Hi-Flex.

Agree, and the head saddle rail design is brilliant...

hobbanero
01-13-2021, 04:58 PM
another +1 for Syntace HiFlex. If you don't have a lot of post exposed, then the Canyon VLCS. Both do a lot to smooth out the ride. The Canyon moves a bit too much for my liking with more than 6" of post exposed.

rnhood
01-13-2021, 05:14 PM
For standard 27.2 posts, the Cane Creek Silk. Lightweight and smooth riding. And it doesn't require something stupid like a maximum insertion depth to get any benefit. The same benefit is there whether minimally or maximally inserted.

kppolich
01-13-2021, 05:56 PM
Zipp SL Speed.

Super light, best freaking single bolt clamp out there, and it fits all rail sizes.

cnighbor1
01-13-2021, 06:05 PM
A 2 bolt seatpost is a must for safety
Friend on a ride snapped his 1 bolt seatpost and when over backwards and broke his back is why

CKT88
01-13-2021, 08:29 PM
Love the aesthetics of my ENVE seat post but the adjustability is awfully finicky.

SlowPokePete
01-14-2021, 06:04 AM
I like Thomson especially because of the mount...not finicky, easy to adjust, and rock solid.

I have a ti post made by Blacksheep that has a Thomson mount...so that right there's my fave...

SPP

ahsere
02-16-2022, 07:53 AM
I've always liked Thomsons for their functionality and they are certainly easy on the eyes as well. They also made it easy for me, one less thing to think about when building a new bike. I always rode my bikes primarily on the road, so to me it was not as important the flex (real or perceived) in the seatpost. But Thomsons are among the stiffest posts out there, so maybe they're not ideal for mtbs or gravel applications, and therefore I got a Lynskey titanium post for my last build. I haven't had the chance to try it much as the weather has been horrible, but it is certainly a beautiful piece and stupid light (185 grams in the 300 length). If it really does smooth out the ride it will be worth the money. I have an Eriksen incoming too, my favorite looking post, for my other rough terrain bike. The carbon Selcof that came with my Planet X bike is beautiful and light as well, but at 200 pounds I have some (probably unjustified) qualms about carbon posts.

madsciencenow
02-16-2022, 09:53 AM
Zipp SL Speed.

Super light, best freaking single bolt clamp out there, and it fits all rail sizes.

I’m not sure it’s better than Moots but maybe since it does all rail sizes it’s better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes2ridefar
02-16-2022, 10:00 AM
I like specialized posts for their simple one bolt infinite adjustability. The roval terra turned my gravel bike into a soft tail.

Otherwise I use Thomson. They just work.

Gummee
02-16-2022, 10:04 AM
nevermind.

I didn't realize I'd already answered a few pages ago

M

PRF1
02-16-2022, 10:31 AM
I'm another vote for Thompson on the adjustability front, but I find it to be a pretty stiff setup. I'm surprised at how much I like a Canyon carbon post I've been using recently, very high degree of adjustability (clamp slides), fairly easy angle adjustment at super comfy for a "standard" post (it is not their split post version).

deluz
02-16-2022, 10:35 AM
Ritchey Classic setback - Nice classic silver post, not hard to adjust, pretty light.

Thomson Elite - Solid post, easy to adjust, light, Dislike how difficult it is to install or remove saddle because of the long rail clamps.

Easton EC70 - Good carbon post for a good price. Easy to adjust and install / remove saddle. Bolts corroded quickly, I should replace with Ti bolts.

d_douglas
02-16-2022, 11:39 AM
I just bought a Thomson straight post for my incoming bike. I just think Thomson stuff is so industrially cool. I love it.

Blue Jays
02-16-2022, 11:44 AM
"…For standard 27.2 posts, the Cane Creek Silk. Lightweight and smooth riding. And it doesn't require something stupid like a maximum insertion depth to get any benefit. The same benefit is there whether minimally or maximally inserted…"How is the standard aluminum model for road riding? Or is this better suited for trails/gravel?You are overall satisfied with it?

deluz
02-16-2022, 12:33 PM
For standard 27.2 posts, the Cane Creek Silk. Lightweight and smooth riding. And it doesn't require something stupid like a maximum insertion depth to get any benefit. The same benefit is there whether minimally or maximally inserted.

This looks interesting. I have short legs so not much seatpost sticking out of the frame which means I am not getting any benefit of a flexing seatpost if there is such a thing. It looks like a lighter version of the Thudbuster. We had one of those on our tandem and was not real impressed with it. The Silk does seem to have good reviews so maybe worth a try.

Gianni Bianchi
02-16-2022, 01:06 PM
My faves are the ones that hold my saddle in place without slipping.

sevencyclist
02-16-2022, 01:08 PM
I have been using the Kent Eriksen post.

Intriguing to see many liking the Syntace P6 Hi-Flex post. Might give it a try for this hardtail since I have the saddle all the way forward as is.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51826589071_5415aed23e_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2mXJPjx)2022-01-15 10.55.11 (https://flic.kr/p/2mXJPjx) by sevencyclist (https://www.flickr.com/photos/38629387@N08/), on Flickr

Received this post today so will be trying this no setback post for Colnago soon.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51885983484_9ed1ceec6e_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2n3Zed9)2022-02-16 09.41.01 (https://flic.kr/p/2n3Zed9) by sevencyclist (https://www.flickr.com/photos/38629387@N08/), on Flickr

Germany_chris
02-16-2022, 03:48 PM
I have a Paul on two bikes and a Thomson on the other

Wakatel_Luum
02-16-2022, 07:29 PM
I swapped my Deda Superzero carbon back to a Nitto Pearl (S65) and was surprised by how much more rigid the alloy post was, almost uncomfortable too.