PDA

View Full Version : off topic: Always, Without Fail, Messing UP /on topic: GIOS

itsflantastic
12-08-2006, 08:12 PM
yes. that's me these days.

graduated college, and then....

i rode across the country - - - > prostatitis (messed up the geometry of my bike, and after 4000 miles, a cm or two here and there is a big deal)

got back and started looking for jobs ---> consistantly making stupid errors in resume and cover letter. When you apply for 200 jobs, modifying your cover letter and resume slightly for each one, it is bound to happen. Heck, even DNA messes up occasionally.

I'm taking this opportunity to vent to the forum.
Thanks for absorbing my frustration!!!

by the way, I found a Gios Compact frame. It has adjustable vertical dropouts. Anyone know if they make adjustable horizontal dropouts that I could replace these with for fixie purposes? or does the fact that they are adjustable vertical dropouts accomodate for their lack or horizontality.

Thanks!

Ken Robb
12-08-2006, 08:17 PM
First: Get a job.
Then:worry about bikes! :beer:
There's something wrong when you are sending out THAT many resumes: Maybe more focus would be good?

Yer Old Pal, Ken

Sandy
12-08-2006, 08:22 PM
There is a thread on the forum now (just scroll down to it), "Fixed gear with vertical drops" that might be of some help for you. I am not really sure as I don't understand a lot of what they were saying in the thread.

Try not to be so hard on yourself. We all make errors. If you don't do anything then you make no errors except a big one- not doing anything. When you do something, errors are made, especially with repetitive paper work.

Sandy

yes. that's me these days.

graduated college, and then....

i rode across the country - - - > prostatitis (messed up the geometry of my bike, and after 4000 miles, a cm or two here and there is a big deal)

got back and started looking for jobs ---> consistantly making stupid errors in resume and cover letter. When you apply for 200 jobs, modifying your cover letter and resume slightly for each one, it is bound to happen. Heck, even DNA messes up occasionally.

I'm taking this opportunity to vent to the forum.
Thanks for absorbing my frustration!!!

by the way, I found a Gios Compact frame. It has adjustable vertical dropouts. Anyone know if they make adjustable horizontal dropouts that I could replace these with for fixie purposes? or does the fact that they are adjustable vertical dropouts accomodate for their lack or horizontality.

Thanks!

itsflantastic
12-08-2006, 08:24 PM
200 was an exagerration of course :)

A.L.Breguet
12-09-2006, 05:26 AM
IBME that sending 200 ( or whatever the #) is a hell of a lot better than sending 0. Persevere. :)

ti_boi
12-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Sscrew it! You got your whole life to work like a dog for da man (or woman)....ride -- or whatever you kids call it these days...and be happy :rolleyes:

ndoshi72c
12-10-2006, 12:50 AM
I'll be graduating in March and am at that process. It is very daunting.

Yes, you can run that Gios as a fixie w/ the adjusting vert. dropouts. Spacing back there is another issue if it's aluminum. An acquanitance of mine has the same type of frame (steel or alum I don't remember), so I am familiar with it. It is very cool.

djg
12-10-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm sorry for your hassles.

To focus on the job, you probably ought to slow down and take some care. It can make sense to have several different resumes if one is looking at several distinct types of jobs. Still, even if we suppose that "200" is a hyperbolic way of saying "23," I'd guess that you have too many. Work up two or three models that make sense, and scrub them clean (no mistakes of substance, spelling, formatting, etc.) Print some extras on decent white paper and have them ready.

We can say nearly the same thing about cover letters. I'd be inclined to work up two or three model letters, depending on the number of distinct types of jobs you might be looking for. You'll need blocks for employer-specific address information and a salutation, and, depending on the job, you may want a short paragraph that pitches the particular employer to whom you are writing, but most cover letters ought not to be terribly long and there's no real reason to start from scratch each and every time. Again, develop a good model, fill in what needs filling in, and scrub the letter clean before you send it to anybody.

Everybody makes mistakes, but for employers who do not know you, looking through large stacks of applications, a conspicuous negative signal (say, regarding one's attention to detail), may be a perfectly good excuse to thin the heard.

There's nothing much fun about looking for work. Good luck with it.