PDA

View Full Version : I come to you from the front lines, to explain why cycling is dying.

MattTuck
06-09-2019, 07:43 PM
It's farking hard work!

If you've been following along at home, you know my wife and I had twins last May, and bought a house a month later. I have NOT ridden outside since November or December of 2017 and haven't turned a pedal since sometime during the winter or early spring of 2018, when I was last able to do some indoor riding. This is by far the longest lay off from riding since I was like 7 years old.

Needless to say, I have excellent equipment, top quality clothing, shoes, etc. So, I'm in a rare position to experience great gear with absolutely no fitness (like, less fitness than a complete novice).

So, I rode tonight for the first time in a long time. I am here to report that it is now obvious to me why electric assist bikes are such a fast growing segment. I really never had the chance to experience cycling again as a beginner. And I was really dismissive of electric assist bikes, to be honest.

The big take away is that this great sport that we love is actually really really difficult. When you're fit, and have lots of miles in your legs it is very easy to forget that.

belopsky
06-09-2019, 07:51 PM
"just ride"

Clean39T
06-09-2019, 07:54 PM
Fitness comes back faster than you think..

Enjoy every mile. And congrats on getting back to it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rnhood
06-09-2019, 07:54 PM
It's probably more difficult in the current, or modern generation. Years ago the wife had her duties and expectations, the man his. Part of his was to maintain his health and fitness so, he cycled, or run, swam, or whatever. The wife didn't work, so she had more time to take care of the kids and home stuff.

But today, often both work so it's a different situation. I see guys having to take care of the baby, even cook meals, and drive errands like delivering and picking up kids from school, etc.

You have to be more creative with your use of time, and don't let that fitness slip. Get a maid if necessary, or use some other approach. Where there is a will, there will be a way.

Black Dog
06-09-2019, 07:55 PM
We have all had to get back at it after a hard reset. You will make it back to the land of the fit. Keep at it and remember that every difficult moment makes you fitter when you are out of shape. Get off the trainer and ride outside. The benefits go beyond fitness. You want to be a happy, energetic, and resilient father for your twins. I can say that I am a better parent and husband when I am fit. You will be too; do not devalue taking care of yourself.

fried bake
06-09-2019, 07:58 PM
Many Electric bikes contribute to helping one achieve greater fitness—time to embrace both as part of a fitness regimen perhaps...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mj_michigan
06-09-2019, 08:03 PM
For me, if I am faster this year than last, all is fine. You could say that
I am racing against past self. One could do this by switching
to electric bikes, and then getting a "better" one each year,
but there is no appeal to this.

BTW, I picked up cycling when my younger child turned 16 and started driving, so
suddenly some spare time appeared out of nowhere.

Dave
06-09-2019, 08:07 PM
I started riding again at age 65, after 8 years off, with two knee replacements. It wasn't all that hard to come back, but of course I ride a little slower now.

stien
06-09-2019, 08:23 PM
Matt, our little one is now a little over 7 mos and now mom and I are getting out for rides (solo bikes or our Paketa tandem) on the weekends. The fitness was slow to return but it has. Keep the faith and keep on riding!

I think the hardest part is knowing how fast you used to be and comparing yourself now to that. It’s demoralizing.

Jaybee
06-09-2019, 08:40 PM
It's probably more difficult in the current, or modern generation. Years ago the wife had her duties and expectations, the man his. Part of his was to maintain his health and fitness so, he cycled, or run, swam, or whatever. The wife didn't work, so she had more time to take care of the kids and home stuff.

But today, often both work so it's a different situation. I see guys having to take care of the baby, even cook meals, and drive errands like delivering and picking up kids from school, etc.

You have to be more creative with your use of time, and don't let that fitness slip. Get a maid if necessary, or use some other approach. Where there is a will, there will be a way.

Just for the record, men don’t have to do these things, men want to do these things.

54ny77
06-09-2019, 08:52 PM
It is a cruel mistress. If you really want to keep at it, you will find a way. Albeit invariably at the expense of something else. Helps to have a supportive partner, if that's your life situation.

"Cycling" as a fitness event (Peloton, spin, etc.) is in fact quite popular. Witness the studios, the products, even the IPOs.

It's the "Honey, I'm gonna go ride for 3-4 hours, grab lunch with the guys, then come home and meld the rest of the day with the couch because I won't be able to move" cycling lifestyle that's a ballbuster....:D

RFC
06-09-2019, 08:57 PM
Just for the record, men don’t have to do these things, men want to do these things.

+Even when I was working as a litigator in large firms and billing excessive hours, I still did 30% of the house work and small kid care. My then wife was working part time. Often, I would lift weights at 11 pm in the basement because that was the only time I had to myself. It paid off.

Both of my now adult sons are strong, thoughtful and kind men who take care of theirs and others. I couldn't be prouder. When it comes to those you love, you take it out of your own hide.

pdxharth
06-09-2019, 09:20 PM
MattTuck, I totally agree with you. First, cycling is hard, and we don’t always realize it because it’s all relative. But to somebody who doesn’t ride regularly, getting tired on a short ride makes longer rides intimidating. For example, I ride to work most days, and it’s a long commute. One of my peers likes to join me a couple times a year. And tomorrow morning another co-worker wants to join us, and he even got his bike out and rode it a few times in the past couple weeks. But he just said he isn’t going to go tomorrow. He’s intimidated by the long ride and maybe even the idea of riding with people who are more experienced. It’s not easy to get started.
And secondly, I love the popularity of e-bikes. If it gets more people out of their cars, even if it’s only in the nice weather, then their popularity is a good thing. Now, I do hope e-bike riders remember to play nice with cyclists, which is already becoming a bit of an issue on the bike paths at times. Overall, I think e-bikes are a win.

Good luck getting your fitness and personal time back while juggling twins and life overall. I totally respect your challenges!

purpurite
06-09-2019, 09:50 PM
Get a maid if necessary.

LOL. That's funny.

Louis
06-10-2019, 01:13 AM
Matt, you should have gotten that indoor rower - great workouts in 30 minutes. (If you push yourself.)

Three or four times a week and you'd be in super shape. In fact, in better shape than when you were riding.

Good luck with finding time to ride.

verticaldoug
06-10-2019, 02:40 AM
It's farking hard work!

If you've been following along at home, you know my wife and I had twins last May, and bought a house a month later. I have NOT ridden outside since November or December of 2017 and haven't turned a pedal since sometime during the winter or early spring of 2018, when I was last able to do some indoor riding. This is by far the longest lay off from riding since I was like 7 years old.

Needless to say, I have excellent equipment, top quality clothing, shoes, etc. So, I'm in a rare position to experience great gear with absolutely no fitness (like, less fitness than a complete novice).

So, I rode tonight for the first time in a long time. I am here to report that it is now obvious to me why electric assist bikes are such a fast growing segment. I really never had the chance to experience cycling again as a beginner. And I was really dismissive of electric assist bikes, to be honest.

The big take away is that this great sport that we love is actually really really difficult. When you're fit, and have lots of miles in your legs it is very easy to forget that.

Just wait till you have soccer practice, lacrosse practice, play dates, birthday parties.

In 18 years, cycling will still be here. Don't worry.
Welcome to the world of being a responsible adult.
Just focus on the important *****.

schwa86
06-10-2019, 06:02 AM
FWIW i dealt with this (only partly) by figuring out one way rides with a child on the back of the bike for meet ups at some child friendly place (ice cream, local farm with animals to view, etc). Threw bike on car for drive home. I at least got som miles in, my sone was entertained, and we still did the family weekend activity.

buddybikes
06-10-2019, 06:11 AM
The best times...1994

Blue Jays
06-10-2019, 06:35 AM
Cycling enthusiasts are definitely becoming an older and older crowd.
Attend any group/club ride or even a fondo for a "bigger" confirmation.
My sense is the younger generations prefer crossfit and indoor workouts.

oldpotatoe
06-10-2019, 06:36 AM
I started riding again at age 65, after 8 years off, with two knee replacements. It wasn't all that hard to come back, but of course I ride a little slower now.

Think the above is a great point. I have not really ridden consistently since about 2017, both being really busy with ‘mannying’ coupled with no great desire to ride(subject of another thread-just not thrilled to ride?)...but, if I DO ride, it’s about just pedaling along...no getting sweated up about pace or miles or time on the bike. Care zero about that...just a little mechanical ‘meditation’..

For the OP, yup, not that easy....but moderation in all things, including moderation...:)

soulspinner
06-10-2019, 06:47 AM
Long slow distance at first. No comparing yourself to when you were fit. :bike:

rzthomas
06-10-2019, 08:03 AM
Life ebbs and flows to be sure. However, you can almost always find 30 minutes several times a week to hop on the trainer and do an interval session to keep some kind of baseline fitness. I say that as someone who has two very young children, crazy busy job, and a long list of DIY improvements/repairs that need to be done to a nearly 200 year-old house.

Yesterday, i went for a 32 mile ride with a friend, which is the longest ride I've done in a year. It was great fun and I missed that feeling of exhaustion after a long-ish ride, but then I had to get back into dad mode and I was struggling to summon the energy to do that job right. I'll probably stick to my 15-20 mile hour long sessions for the time being until I get other aspects of my life back in order.

MattTuck
06-10-2019, 08:09 AM
Thanks all for your advice/thoughts. For sure, I could have ridden more if I had made it a higher priority. But many nights after we put the babies to bed, it was just easier to zonk out for the hour or two before we go to sleep. And once the fitness was gone, it just became harder and harder to take the first step.

Matt, you should have gotten that indoor rower - great workouts in 30 minutes. (If you push yourself.)

Three or four times a week and you'd be in super shape. In fact, in better shape than when you were riding.

Thanks Louis, yes. The Concept2 is still on the list (either one at the gym at work, or buy one for home), and may become a bigger part of the fitness regimen later in the year.

As noted above, if I had been a bit more disciplined, I definitely could have maintained fitness during everything (except maybe the first 3 months after they came home -- that would have been tough).

But for sure, I need a non-cycling exercise in my life, because for too long my main exercise has been lifting babies. :)

tv_vt
06-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Glad to hear you got your Kirk out for some fresh air, Matt. Enjoy the ride and remember, no one's keeping score. (Leave the bike computer/Garmin/etc at home.)

William
06-10-2019, 08:53 AM

Can't argue with that. I always find that my climbing is better when I supplement with rowing. If I can't ride I row.

W.

rwsaunders
06-10-2019, 09:14 AM
Just wait till you have soccer practice, lacrosse practice, play dates, birthday parties.

In 18 years, cycling will still be here. Don't worry.
Welcome to the world of being a responsible adult.
Just focus on the important *****.

Roger that. Bike lights and cycling gear are also better made than they were 20 years ago as dawn and early morning rides are your friends while your kids are growing up. Pretty soon you'll be pulling them behind on the Burley too.

KarlC
06-10-2019, 09:36 AM
I come to you from the front lines, to explain why cycling is dying.

It's farking hard work! ..........................

The big take away is that this great sport that we love is actually really really difficult. When you're fit, ........................it is very easy to forget that.

This it true with most all things in life NOT just cycling, if you dont use it you will lose it right ?

daker13
06-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Good for you for getting out. I'm at the opposite end of the child rearing process: daughter is going to be a senior next year, looking at colleges, going away to Europe for a month this summer... I'll have lots more time on my hands, and every time I think about it, I feel like I'm going to throw up.

Lewis Moon
06-10-2019, 09:47 AM
One of the things that keeps me in cycling shape is having the flexibility to commute by bike. It basically takes something I have to do anyway (commute to work) and turns it into cycling time. It's a "threefer". I get to work, I get a workout, I save money on gas and I lower my carbon footprint...make that a "fourfer".
Making the change to commuting by bike is probably the best move I have ever made in cycling.
It's a commitment:
you have to get the gear; backpack, lights, commuter tires, etc
you have to plan your route; safe streets, long/short enough for a propetr workout
There's extra planning; extra shoes at work, shower/cat bath facilities, bike parking, timing of commute
...but once everything is in place, you start racking up miles and getting fit.
If I had to commute by car/train/bus and then make time for cycling, I'd MAYBE get two rides in a week.

Mzilliox
06-10-2019, 09:55 AM
cycling has never been easy, i just go faster or further. right now im doing neither!:banana:

one day ill return to my form of 2 seasons ago

charliedid
06-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Thanks all for your advice/thoughts. For sure, I could have ridden more if I had made it a higher priority. But many nights after we put the babies to bed, it was just easier to zonk out for the hour or two before we go to sleep. And once the fitness was gone, it just became harder and harder to take the first step.

Thanks Louis, yes. The Concept2 is still on the list (either one at the gym at work, or buy one for home), and may become a bigger part of the fitness regimen later in the year.

As noted above, if I had been a bit more disciplined, I definitely could have maintained fitness during everything (except maybe the first 3 months after they came home -- that would have been tough).

But for sure, I need a non-cycling exercise in my life, because for too long my main exercise has been lifting babies. :)

Everyone stumbles through life :-) Find some exercise that keep you fit and strong. Ride bikes for fun when you can!

Clean39T
06-10-2019, 10:13 AM
It's the "Honey, I'm gonna go ride for 3-4 hours, grab lunch with the guys, then come home and meld the rest of the day with the couch because I won't be able to move" cycling lifestyle that's a ballbuster....:D

Pretty much my Friday night "talk" that never goes well..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sparky33
06-10-2019, 10:23 AM

No one says this about golf. Go figure.

Also, welcome back.

XXtwindad
06-10-2019, 10:36 AM
As a member of the "Twins Club" I know a little bit about what you've been going through. The first thing to remember - you (we) are blessed. I'm not usually a fan of that word, as it's overused and a little smarmy, but, in this case, it's true.

As a late-in-life Father, I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the Parenthood Party. I'm over the moon with my twin girls. When one of them is disciplined for fighting (even if the other daughter got her busted) they will do "time out" together because they're protective of each other. They're going to be best friends for life.

That's called #winning, and there's no way Strava can calculate it. So, enjoy.

As related to fitness, there are a myriad of ways to measure it. Inevitably, as a society divorced from movement, we seek extreme ways to countenance the inactivity. Century rides, Tough Mudders, marathons, etc.

I think the answer is a lot simpler. I like to call it "slow fitness." When my daughters were born, I couldn't cycle nearly as much, so I took them on walks. Really long walks. I covered miles and miles of Oakland. Not only did it give me a great bond with my daughters (memories that I'll have forever) but I rediscovered my love of walking. I saw things that eluded me when I cycled (and certainly when I drove) Hidden staircases. Beautiful gardens. Side streets. Small out-the-way businesses. I think it's the best form of "exercise" that there is. Better than cycling, and much less expensive.

As others have noted, I think an indoor cardio machine is helpful. I actually love cycling on a stationary bike. It clears my head, it's quick and convenient, and I had no problem keep up with others in a group ride when I finally got back on a bike.

Lastly, I would ditch your Strava (if you're on it). Get back to the essence of cycling, which is all about enjoying the ride.

sparky33
06-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Inevitably, as a society divorced from movement, we seek extreme ways to countenance the inactivity. Century rides, Tough Mudders, marathons, etc.

I think the answer is a lot simpler. I like to call it "slow fitness." When my daughters were born, I couldn't cycle nearly as much, so I took them on walks. Really long walks. I covered miles and miles of Oakland.

Ultra strolling, because stopping is not an option if an epic nap is happening.

I also agree that going-for-a-walk is an underrated activity. It turns out that walking is also an effective and pleasant way to get around.