PDA

View Full Version : Justin Williams: I’m in full-on rebel mode

bcroslin
06-09-2019, 07:40 PM
Specialized sponsored Q+A (https://youtu.be/mDUio9R_R7A) with Justin Williams that’s shot really well. I continue to be impressed.

theboucher
06-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Big fan! The Legion of LA guys are crushing it.

junkfood
06-09-2019, 08:23 PM
He crushed it this weekend at Tulsa Tough.

Jake

quickfeet
06-09-2019, 10:23 PM
I love what him and his team have going on. Cycling needs to grow and change in the worst way to attract the next generation of enthusiasts.

Black Dog
06-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Great story content. Really. The sport needs this type of vibe and direction.

Love how specialized produced the vid; by copying a Rapha vid. Sorta their whole business model.

FlashUNC
06-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Let me caveat what I'm about to say with I applaud all of it.

But for the sake of discussion, what's different with this as opposed to what Rahsaan Bahati has been doing for nigh on 20 years now?

Black Dog
06-10-2019, 05:01 PM

But for the sake of discussion, what's different with this as opposed to what Rahsaan Bahati has been doing for nigh on 20 years now?

No difference except increased social awareness and exposure through social media and a big sponsor who wants the marketing exposure. Go back further to Nelson Vails and Major Taylor to see amazing athletes who’s achievements were and are sadly obscured.

romalor
06-10-2019, 05:04 PM
Guess I'm not the marketing target here

Good for them, don't change my life

Ride a bike

Dino Suegiù
06-10-2019, 05:13 PM
No difference except increased social awareness and exposure through social media and a big sponsor who wants the marketing exposure.
I actually think the differences are quite a bit more than simply that.

weisan
06-10-2019, 07:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNePEFJhpSc&t=3832s

https://www.velonews.com/2019/06/news/justin-williams-wins-back-to-back-races-at-tulsa-tough_494634

bcroslin
06-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Corey and Justin Williams are the only American cyclists in the last 10 years that actually get me excited about racing bikes.

Peter P.
06-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Rock Racing 2.0 .

FlashUNC
06-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Corey and Justin Williams are the only American cyclists in the last 10 years that actually get me excited about racing bikes.

And somewhere Coryn Rivera sheds a lone tear.

oldturd
06-11-2019, 10:50 AM
He crushed it this weekend at Tulsa Tough.

Jake

Well, except that the guy who won overall podiumed in all three crits this weekend (2nd/2nd/1st).. but his social media isnt as exciting as Justins so not surprised he flew under the radar (pls dont confuse this as well as taking anything away from the williams' either)

but pretty cool the exposure that legion is bringing

junkfood
06-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Well, except that the guy who won overall podiumed in all three crits this weekend (2nd/2nd/1st).. but his social media isnt as exciting as Justins so not surprised he flew under the radar (pls dont confuse this as well as taking anything away from the williams' either)

but pretty cool the exposure that legion is bringing

Yes, Sam Bassetti crushed Tulsa Tough. The Elevate/KHS team is killer also. Sundays course is rough on the srpinters and they really put the pressure on Justin Williams. Sean Mcelroy from Legion got 2nd on Sunday. Couple of tough teams.

Jake

oldturd
06-11-2019, 11:42 AM
Yes, Sam Bassetti crushed Tulsa Tough. The Elevate/KHS team is killer also. Sundays course is rough on the srpinters and they really put the pressure on Justin Williams. Sean Mcelroy from Legion got 2nd on Sunday. Couple of tough teams.

Jake

I'm not at all familiar with the USA Crit scene (let alone any, but I like to do my own research before assuming things ie. above post :)) but would Legion be considered a strong team? i know they seem to dominate the socal race scene but on a national level, are they the bees knees ?

bcroslin
06-11-2019, 12:50 PM
And somewhere Coryn Rivera sheds a lone tear.

Didn’t know who she was and after a little searching I’m following her on IG. Allison Tetrick is also a fun follow.

Zee
06-26-2019, 08:28 AM
Do they have any swag for purchase? I was talking with a fellow cyclist about the team's message and couldn't find anything to give them some tangible support.

72gmc
06-26-2019, 09:20 AM
Coryn has tees for sale on her site. Her art is flat track moto racer style.

bcroslin
06-26-2019, 10:21 AM
Do they have any swag for purchase? I was talking with a fellow cyclist about the team's message and couldn't find anything to give them some tangible support.

My guess is Rapha is going to do some sort of collabo in the near future. Rapha just released a 30 sec video hyping Williams. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTygXfv7M4U)

FlashUNC
06-26-2019, 10:41 AM
My guess is Rapha is going to do some sort of collabo in the near future. Rapha just released a 30 sec video hyping Williams. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTygXfv7M4U)

Rapha does all their kit. I suspect they were waiting on footage from Crit Nats to do the launch.

jasonification
06-26-2019, 12:05 PM
From their IG
shirts (https://www.bonfire.com/pride-20/)
sweater (https://www.bonfire.com/legion-crew/)
hoodie (https://www.bonfire.com/join-the-pride/)

ghammer
06-26-2019, 12:08 PM
This is pretty phenomenal. I started riding bikes as a teen in South America (Brazil), and even there it's predominantly a white people sport - although there were more blacks in the peloton than in the US.

Ultimately, i *do* have a problem with "non-white" folks in cycling: IT'S THAT THERE'S NOT ENOUGH OF THEM. Here's hoping Justin Williams changes that dynamics. He's getting a ton of good exposure, and maybe it'll excite young kids of non-white provenance. We already have plenty of latinos and asians, which is excellent, but need more blacks. Cycling is a world sport, folks. Let's make sure it gets that way.

false_Aest
06-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Every time I hear Justin Williams I think Justin Wilson

https://i.imgur.com/TXgAQQT.jpg

m4rk540
06-26-2019, 12:53 PM
It's interesting that Legion, unlike CNCPT, is a better team because they've recruited white riders. Justin is a smart kid.

denapista
06-26-2019, 01:04 PM

If you're from LA, then you know that Bahati kind of spawned Justin Williams and that entire crew. Bahati was the gen before him and the Bahati racing guys ushered in African American cycling to a larger degree in LA. Major Motion is another cycling club that has a huge contingency of Black cyclists..

Justin Williams talked about Bahati in an old interview. Rahsaan was around when Facebook was popular, Justin is in the Twitter/Instagram/Prolly website/Rapha drone video era. Two totally different social media avenues for exposure and building a brand..

As a teenager, Williams got to know Rahsaan Bahati, who raced against his father, dated a cousin and became a fixture around his apartment. That relationship really opened his eyes to possibilities he had never contemplated before. “It was impossible not to be inspired by Rahsaan,” Williams says. “I mean, he was going to races in Europe, doing things that made me aware of this entirely different world than the one I was in

pasadena
06-26-2019, 02:13 PM
It's interesting that Legion, unlike CNCPT, is a better team because they've recruited white riders. Justin is a smart kid.

ignorant.
Find out what CNCPT is about, what Legion is about.

m4rk540
06-26-2019, 02:38 PM
ignorant.
Find out what CNCPT is about, what Legion is about.

I know CNCPT was a development team with 2s and 3s. They just weren't developing any white kids. Which is fine as there are fewer low SES white kids in Southern California. Anyway, it was a comment on a type of reverse inclusiveness.

FlashUNC
06-26-2019, 02:50 PM

His racing age this year is 30. He hasn't been a kid for a long time.

pasadena
06-26-2019, 03:43 PM
I know CNCPT was a development team with 2s and 3s. They just weren't developing any white kids. Which is fine as there are fewer low SES white kids in Southern California. Anyway, it was a comment on a type of reverse inclusiveness.

Troll

bcroslin
06-26-2019, 04:07 PM
Troll

While I agree that the original comment was too clever by half can we not do this please?

MattTuck
06-26-2019, 04:12 PM
I'll be the first to admit I don't follow the US crit racing scene (let alone the Southern California / LA scene), so I'm not very familiar with this story.

Glad to see someone doing well and spreading the sport to new audiences. If people are more likely to watch a crit than follow European racing or the Tour, then good for him for finding that niche.

Maybe some of his proteges will develop and perform well in Europe. He can't do much worse than USAC.

pasadena
06-26-2019, 04:17 PM
While I agree that the original comment was too clever by half can we not do this please?

Trolling identified.
I don't continue comments with trolls.

bshell
06-26-2019, 04:26 PM
That add was a clown show, imo.

denapista
06-26-2019, 04:28 PM

Care to explain further, or are we just dropping bombs and running out of the room?

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9p0l5aauw1qedb29o1_r1_500.gif

mavic1010
06-26-2019, 04:35 PM
CNCPT was more urban/inner city marketing and cycling team formed from Bobby Endo and Justin Williams. Legion is more focused on racing. 2 different visions.

m4rk540
06-26-2019, 04:40 PM
CNCPT was more urban/inner city marketing and cycling team formed from Bobby Endo and Justin Williams. Legion is more focused on racing. 2 different visions.

This.

And, better = more race wins. Apologies for non hyper-specificity.

Dave B
06-26-2019, 06:04 PM
Hey anytime someone can inspire people, regardless of their color, gender, et al, to ride a bike, then I say good for them.

earlfoss
06-26-2019, 06:32 PM
People have short memories. These are the idiots who only a few years ago were posting videos of themselves trying to crash people out in SoCal office park crits. Even Roy Knickman called them out after they tried to take a couple of his juniors out. If Roy is saying you’re a f*ckup, you’re f*cking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m4rk540
06-26-2019, 06:46 PM
People have short memories. These are the idiots who only a few years ago were posting videos of themselves trying to crash people out in SoCal office park crits. Even Roy Knickman called them out after they tried to take a couple of his juniors out. If Roy is saying you’re a f*ckup, you’re f*cking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't have that reputation here, as far as I'm aware. And many of Mr. Knickman's juniors train with the Williams brothers and/or CNCPT guys. Sean McElroy, a LUX alum, is having his best season since he was winning everything as a junior.

Heisenberg
06-26-2019, 07:53 PM

what the **** is wrong with you? not an okay thing to say in the least.

m4rk540
06-26-2019, 08:04 PM
Thought I clarified that I meant stronger as in more diverse. More victories and all that versus an all-white, all-asian, all-Latino, all-inner-city, all-suburban, all-Canadian team.

KarlC
06-27-2019, 09:24 AM
Whats with the full-on rebel mode, I'm not seeing it.

I thought his goal was to bring people together to enjoy cycling ?