PDA

View Full Version : Help trying to figure what frame size to get.

isalgue
06-09-2019, 05:03 PM
I need help from the minds on this forum. I have a 50 cm steel Fierte that I altered a bit and that I love but it has developed a crack where the seattube meets the toptube. I'm afraid to ride it again so I need to replace it and have access to two 48 cm, one steel and one carbon and steel, I thinking they maybe be too small for me. What do you guys think ? I attached both the Fierte and my order bike, a Colorado III that I like but can't fit 28mm Contis. Open to suggestions. Thanks in advance

sokyroadie
06-09-2019, 05:31 PM
It looks like you are running fairly short stems on the Serotta's, the Fierte will typically have quite a bit longer HT than another bike especially a 48 cm frame. If you can stand more drop they may work, but you need a lot more dimensions. Stack and Reach are your friends.

Ken Robb
06-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Can the crack be repaired?

rallizes
06-09-2019, 05:44 PM
These bikes look a bit big

isalgue
06-09-2019, 05:55 PM
It looks like you are running fairly short stems on the Serotta's, the Fierte will typically have quite a bit longer HT than another bike especially a 48 cm frame. If you can stand more drop they may work, but you need a lot more dimensions. Stack and Reach are your friends.

That 71 i'm not that flexible any more. The Colorado III has a stack of 538 and a reach of 352.

isalgue
06-09-2019, 05:59 PM
Can the crack be repaired?

The crack is about three inches and it's the seat tube and top tube. I don't think it's either worth it or repairable. I'm sick love it's ride

isalgue
06-09-2019, 06:00 PM

Fierte is 50 and the ColoradoIII 52, they only look big in the pictures

weisan
06-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Looking at your saddle position and the Thomson post, it may seem like you are putting a lot of weight/pressure/force on the seat-/top tube joint, I wonder if it's what caused the crack to form...

weisan
06-09-2019, 06:37 PM
you and angry pal should compare notes...

isalgue
06-09-2019, 07:38 PM
Looking at your saddle position and the Thomson post, it may seem like you are putting a lot of weight/pressure/force on the seat-/top tube joint, I wonder if it's what caused the crack to form...

Bought the frame used and only discovered the crack because the seat post was creaking. The previous owner had touched up the crack (ebay). You are correct I have broken many lightweight saddles.

cmg
06-10-2019, 04:29 PM
if you don't buy the steel and carbon one have them post that in the classifieds. the CIII looks cool.

ultraman6970
06-10-2019, 10:37 PM
Op, that blue and grey serottas are yours??? are those your regular rides?

ultraman6970
06-10-2019, 10:52 PM
What ralizes says... that blue colorado looks like a 52 ish...it could be even bigger if the tubes are oversized.

The other one have no clue because those are from an era where mr serotta imo lost his path and started making stuff just to appeal what the marked wanted instead to sticking with what he knew... racing stuff, just my opinion not trying to disrespect mr serotta.

THis is a colorado legend size 50 sold here, non oversize tubing but pretty much doubt there's that much difference between the models in the geometry...

http://www.eaglewheel.us/images/the%20new%20eagle%20wheel/the%20new%20eagle%20wheel%20009.jpg

isalgue
06-11-2019, 10:10 AM
Op, that blue and grey serottas are yours??? are those your regular rides?

Yes, the blue Colorado has been my regular ride for about 15 years. The grey fierte I bought and changed the fork to a columbus 50 rake that fits 29 Conti's. The ride is amazing, it's comfortable and responsive, and had become my regular ride until i discovered the crack. So I'm looking for a replacement.

isalgue
06-11-2019, 10:16 AM
What ralizes says... that blue colorado looks like a 52 ish...it could be even bigger if the tubes are oversized.

The other one have no clue because those are from an era where mr serotta imo lost his path and started making stuff just to appeal what the marked wanted instead to sticking with what he knew... racing stuff, just my opinion not trying to disrespect mr serotta.

THis is a colorado legend size 50 sold here, non oversize tubing but pretty much doubt there's that much difference between the models in the geometry...

http://www.eaglewheel.us/images/the%20new%20eagle%20wheel/the%20new%20eagle%20wheel%20009.jpg
Totally agree, the grey frame came with this huge head tube that I cut, Serotta become the bike of the lawyers and Drs, and priced themselves out of bussiness. Still my favorite bikes been riding serotta since the late 80's when i raced with a Colorado.

ultraman6970
06-11-2019, 09:30 PM
There is a colnago super at the bay from a dutch seller that has sold several bikes here, the super is a 50 and doubt will go for a bad price.

isalgue
06-12-2019, 10:41 AM
There is a colnago super at the bay from a dutch seller that has sold several bikes here, the super is a 50 and doubt will go for a bad price.

Thanks I'll check it out. But what a need is a frame with 1 1/8 fork

sokyroadie
06-12-2019, 12:25 PM
The 48 cm Ti Carbon for sale on here won't work?

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=238264

72gmc
06-12-2019, 01:35 PM
If you want to ride 28s I'd recommend checking with a tire other than Continentals, which always seem a bit undersized to me. A frame that fits 28 or even 30c in a different brand would probably give you more room to experiment with spending too much on tires.