PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Frame builders. Is this bad? :)

DCilliams
06-09-2019, 07:15 AM
Short story: I saw a cool frame online. Looked to be in good shape except for an area on the top tube. Seller sent close up pics. The area looked baaad. I figured the tube was cooked. Seller says he thinks it’s “surface” rust and applies some 220 sand paper to prove it. I have no idea what that proved other than a professional still needs to inspect it in person.

What do you guys think?

tctyres
06-09-2019, 07:44 AM
Pass!
It's not worth your time fixing whatever that is.

Matthew
06-09-2019, 08:04 AM
Run. And find a nice steel frame that currently doesn't have "surface " rust. There has to be more issues elsewhere. Can't be just the top tube.

Doug Fattic
06-09-2019, 08:19 AM
I've been building and painting frames since 1975. What I would want to know is if the rust is starting from the inside or the outside. If it is coming from the inside that is a deal killer of course. The key is looking for small little holes finally coming all the way through. I think I see one just to the left of the yellow Eddy Merckx decal in the 2nd picture. There might also be a couple on the side of the top tube in the last picture too.

Rust patterns can be somewhat random. In other words there can be spots of rust on the inside here and there but clean areas around them.

charliedid
06-09-2019, 08:26 AM
All rust is surface rust, no surface, no rust.

Did you buy it or are the pics just from him? As Doug said it depends where it's started. It also depends what you want to do with it.

If it's structurally sound and you want a flat bar fixie to muck around with, it might be cool.

You have a pic of the entire bike?

DCilliams
06-09-2019, 09:02 AM
I've been building and painting frames since 1975. What I would want to know is if the rust is starting from the inside or the outside. If it is coming from the inside that is a deal killer of course. The key is looking for small little holes finally coming all the way through. I think I see one just to the left of the yellow Eddy Merckx decal in the 2nd picture. There might also be a couple on the side of the top tube in the last picture too.

Rust patterns can be somewhat random. In other words there can be spots of rust on the inside here and there but clean areas around them.

Doug - thank you. That feedback is helpful. Bottom line is seller needs to get the frame inspected first. Otherwise, it’s a neat frame. Late 70s De Rosa.

DCilliams
06-09-2019, 09:03 AM
All rust is surface rust, no surface, no rust.

Did you buy it or are the pics just from him? As Doug said it depends where it's started. It also depends what you want to do with it.

If it's structurally sound and you want a flat bar fixie to muck around with, it might be cool.

You have a pic of the entire bike?

I didn’t buy it. Just have the pics for now. I’ll look for the one of the full bike.

old_fat_and_slow
06-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Just cover it with duct tape. You'll be fine. :):)