PDA

View Full Version : Different diameter Campy lockrings <expletive deleted>

cgolvin
06-08-2019, 11:53 PM
Chalk up another hard lesson about compatibility.

Having done (apparently not all of) my homework, I know that Campy 9 speed freehub bodies will accommodate 10, 11, and 12 speed cassettes. Excellent. I bought a lovely set of wheels with Record hubs and a 9 speed freehub for my restomod, mounted my 10 speed cassette, went to screw on the lockring…***?

More homework…shirtfork, apparently I need a 26mm lockring, not the 27mm one that came with this cassette. No problem, I can buy a new lockring…$45???

It's fruitless to assign blame beyond myself, but that is NOT COOL (and now I move to the classifieds to post a WTB…)

David Benson
06-09-2019, 12:55 AM
I can understand your frustration, but the change from 26 to 27mm lockrings happened 20 years ago, with the introduction of the Record 99 hub.
It was in every way superior to the hub it superseded, and the design is still in use today, both as a Record hub and in most Campagnolo and Fulcrum wheels.
The increased lock ring diameter permits the use of larger and more durable bearings in the freehub.
Looks like progress to me.

jemdet
06-09-2019, 01:00 AM
This is the company that brought you the left-hand-threaded crank extractor.

Dino Suegiù
06-09-2019, 03:19 AM
Those 26x1 lockrings are becoming difficult to find, since the standard is very out-dated. It is also probably next to impossible to find a cheap old cassette with a correct lockring anytime soon, but maybe search for one.

For 26x1 x 12-13T, you will need a Campagnolo CS-201 (steel) or CS-001T / CS-201T (titanium).
(For 26x1 x 11T, the number is CS-301 (steel).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48029098957_e7c039052d_b.jpg

If nobody here has one to sell you, Nonstopciclismo has a titanium one, but much too expensive.
Euro-Asia, if your shop works with them, might have them, but they are also always very expensive.

Your best option might be an offer on this titanium CS-001T on eBay, the top listing ($55 OBO):
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=campagnolo+cs-201&_sacat=0&_sop=15

People who are selling these now generally know what they have, and charge a lot. In other brands, Marchisio used to make them but I think the 26x1 are out of production, the same with Miche. I see Royce made some titanium ones (one on eBay). But, as David Benson wrote above, 26x1 is an old, inferior standard from two decades ago. Stock will dry up as it does on these things.

weiwentg
06-09-2019, 07:06 AM
I can understand your frustration, but the change from 26 to 27mm lockrings happened 20 years ago, with the introduction of the Record 99 hub...

That said, because it happened 20 years ago, it's long enough that someone who just bought a 9s hub may not have heard of this issue.

merckx
06-09-2019, 07:27 AM
I may have one. PM me.

oldpotatoe
06-09-2019, 07:34 AM
I can understand your frustration, but the change from 26 to 27mm lockrings happened 20 years ago, with the introduction of the Record 99 hub.
It was in every way superior to the hub it superseded, and the design is still in use today, both as a Record hub and in most Campagnolo and Fulcrum wheels.
The increased lock ring diameter permits the use of larger and more durable bearings in the freehub.
Looks like progress to me.

Well mostly because of the oversized aluminum axle, the ID of the FHB bearing is actually larger than than the steel and 1996 Record titanium axle ones...and OD is 1mm larger is all. Great hub design tho, same today and copied by shimano in 7800 series.

For the OP, call Jim at Vecchio’s or Mike Kone at Rene Herse/Boulder Bicycle.
Jim-303-440-3535, jim@vecchios.com

merckx
06-09-2019, 08:21 AM
I have two never used 26mm Campy cassette lockrings. I can ship for $30.00 each, or $50.00 for both.

jamesdak
06-09-2019, 08:30 AM
I understand the OP's frustration. I made the same mistake a few years ago. I actually found the right lockring at my LBS for $5 after searching on line and being put off by the high costs.

cgolvin
06-09-2019, 01:13 PM
Thanks all. I did not mean to come off as whinging at Campy, I assume they had good design engineering reasons for making the change, and I understand that older designs imply scarcity and thus higher prices for something simple like a lockring. I was frustrated that I hadn't done a more thorough job of understanding all the details and implications of my choice of hubset when buying used wheels. Lesson learned.

Fortunately I now have a number of options and will soon be able to finish my build. Cheers

cgolvin
06-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Oh, and in case anyone else finds themselves confronted with the same challenge, you can still find the Marchisio lock rings at Bellati Sport: https://www.bellatisport.com/shop/product/277/Marchisio_Lock_Rings.html

(courtesy of an earlier post in response to Angry when he was in a similar boat; that poster reported a good experience with Bellati)

summilux
06-09-2019, 04:29 PM
Another alternative is to use the Royce lockring. 30 UKP but hey, it's made of titanium.

http://www.royceuk.co.uk/Rear-Hub-Cassette-Lockring-11t-Royce-Titanium-Campag-type-CS301.html

oldpotatoe
06-10-2019, 07:19 AM
Thanks all. I did not mean to come off as whinging at Campy, I assume they had good design engineering reasons for making the change, and I understand that older designs imply scarcity and thus higher prices for something simple like a lockring. I was frustrated that I hadn't done a more thorough job of understanding all the details and implications of my choice of hubset when buying used wheels. Lesson learned.

Fortunately I now have a number of options and will soon be able to finish my build. Cheers

I think a point, these lock rings only made for about 3 years, 1997-2000 ish...