PDA

View Full Version : OT: Question for you web savy techno-types out there

Louis
06-08-2019, 10:28 PM
For a variety of reasons, but primarily because I live out in the boonies, I don't have high-speed internet, so I settle for dial-up. For things like this forum it's fine, unless it's something that's image intensive. Things like the NYT web page take a bit to load, but not to the point where it's unbearable.

However, for reasons that I don't understand, Google is so slow that it's practically useless, and I don't bother to use it unless I'm in so rush and I really want to know something. And it isn't just a question of delays due to the computer trying to load the Google Doodle. Let's say the Google home page is finally done loading (something that typically takes over 2 minutes) and I type what I'm looking for, say, "shimano dura ace" it can take a good three to four minutes just for the search results to come up. And there are no graphics associated with that - just basic text and hyperlinks.

So, anyone have a clue why things might be so slow?

Are there any magic settings I could set in my Firefox bookmark to Google so things would be faster?

TIA

eddief
06-08-2019, 10:55 PM
with my addictions that would be tough = no googling.

I do not have solution for your problem but I think congress is working on rural broadband. Second term.

Louis
06-08-2019, 11:04 PM
Couldn't tell you regarding the cell phone thing. For a short while I had a regular old flip phone. About two years ago Verizon had really good deals for international calls, and the phone worked fairly well, but they ended the deal after about six months, so the phone languishes in a drawer.

I've never tried to use a smart phone here. My neighbors say that the connection quality is highly variable.

One benefit: it's impossible to waste time watching videos on YouTube.

weisan
06-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Louis pal, I know where you live so I can sort of empathize but for the love of Jacques Piccard, it's year 2019 for crying out loud! Time to get on with the program...

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/5C4D/production/_107292632_mediaitem107292631.jpg
Nasa to open International Space Station to tourists. Nasa is to allow tourists to visit the International Space Station from 2020, priced at $35,000 (£27,500) per night. The US space agency said it would open the orbiting station to tourism and other business ventures

eddief
06-08-2019, 11:21 PM
includes an in home router they gave me cuz my tower is too far away. with the router i get excellent reception. Unlimited voice, texts, data for a flat $50 per month. Free slowish international data too. Join us.

Louis
06-08-2019, 11:25 PM
Join us.

Eddie, is your real name Mathias?

I am The Omega Man.

(Google it)

eddief
06-08-2019, 11:28 PM
it downloaded really really fast on my computer :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBY4Cl6KJjw

Eddie, is your real name Mathias?

I am The Omega Man.

(Google it)

tony_mm
06-08-2019, 11:33 PM
Use a different search engine like bing etc...
Use a better search engine like duckduckgo
Use a faster DNS resolver like OpenDNS or 1.1.1.1

Drmojo
06-09-2019, 03:35 AM

Duck Duck user for 4 years now
Unless you crave surveillance and spam texts phone calls and emails
I sorta envy your Ted Kacinski lifestyle
Stay off the grid

Tony T
06-09-2019, 05:26 AM
Not going to help with Google, but an ad blocker could help with other web sites.
Take a look at https://learn.adafruit.com/pi-hole-ad-blocker-with-pi-zero-w/overview-adafruit2

CNY rider
06-09-2019, 06:30 AM
For a variety of reasons, but primarily because I live out in the boonies, I don't have high-speed internet, so I settle for dial-up. For things like this forum it's fine, unless it's something that's image intensive. Things like the NYT web page take a bit to load, but not to the point where it's unbearable.

However, for reasons that I don't understand, Google is so slow that it's practically useless, and I don't bother to use it unless I'm in so rush and I really want to know something. And it isn't just a question of delays due to the computer trying to load the Google Doodle. Let's say the Google home page is finally done loading (something that typically takes over 2 minutes) and I type what I'm looking for, say, "shimano dura ace" it can take a good three to four minutes just for the search results to come up. And there are no graphics associated with that - just basic text and hyperlinks.

So, anyone have a clue why things might be so slow?

Are there any magic settings I could set in my Firefox bookmark to Google so things would be faster?

TIA

That is weird.
Boonies here too, with satellite internet.
Virtually useless for streaming anything, just like yours but Google loads and runs promptly.
I also mainly use Duck Duck go for the reasons noted above.

speedevil
06-09-2019, 06:42 AM
I lived in northern Illinois, about 80 miles west of Chicago. No cable, housing density was too low to justify running the copper/fiber. I had (emphasis on had) satellite internet, but the latency will make you nuts trying to type.

If there is a cell tower somewhat close to you, that is a possibility. I had a T1 line run to my house, for major $$$, but was very reliable and worked well. Because I worked from home and owned an internet services company, I needed a backup.

I bought a vhf parabolic antenna, around $30, and pointed it at the closest cell tower. You can find adapter cables that will either connect to your phone as an external antenna, or stick on the case next to the antenna on your phone. In my basement office I went from 1 -2 bars to 5 bars. Not bad for a $50 investment.

Without knowing your physical location, I can't say for sure, but the odds are you could significantly improve your online speeds. I'll be happy to help further if you have questions - PM is fine.

R3awak3n
06-09-2019, 06:48 AM
I did not even know dial up still existed. I have no solutions for you but I like your style. I could not deal with no proper internet at home but I wish I could just throw my smart phone in the trash

wtex
06-09-2019, 01:06 PM
+1 for all of these, I'd recommend OpenDNS

I'd also get MalwareBytes and SuperAntispyware and run full scans and clean your system. You might have parasitic bandwidth use.

Louis
06-09-2019, 02:45 PM
+1 for all of these, I'd recommend OpenDNS

I'd also get MalwareBytes and SuperAntispyware and run full scans and clean your system. You might have parasitic bandwidth use.

I realize that I could have stuff running in the background that would affect things, but that would affect me on all sites.

My specific question is why would I have problems using Google, when most of what I'm downloading from there should not take that long to transmit to (from???) my computer?

I will try Duck Duck go.

Dude
06-10-2019, 05:49 AM
Might also be the browser you are running and the machine it's running on. Make sure you are using a "modern" browser (chrome, Firefox, safari or Microsoft Edge).

They are all pretty big applications so if the machine is 7 years old, that won't help.

Ronsonic
06-10-2019, 09:27 PM
I would suggest the Brave browser. It runs clean and fast, blocks the trackers and the crap that slows you down.

FlashUNC
06-10-2019, 09:29 PM
I had dinner with a Google engineer last night. I brought this up. His perspective? "The problem is the dial-up."

Louis
06-10-2019, 09:40 PM
I had dinner with a Google engineer last night. I brought this up. His perspective? "The problem is the dial-up."

We'll see, we'll see.

If I switch to duckduckgo and it's much faster than the dreaded "G" search engine it will be obvious that they are the problem, not my connection...

marciero
06-11-2019, 05:32 AM
Couldn't tell you regarding the cell phone thing. For a short while I had a regular old flip phone. About two years ago Verizon had really good deals for international calls, and the phone worked fairly well, but they ended the deal after about six months, so the phone languishes in a drawer.

I've never tried to use a smart phone here. My neighbors say that the connection quality is highly variable.

One benefit: it's impossible to waste time watching videos on YouTube.

So using phone as hotspot is not viable option? On the other hand it sounds like you've been okay without either cel phone or fast internet, which is sort of cool.

MattTuck
06-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Louis,

Check out some of these ideas: http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2012/07/10-google-features-for-slow-internet.html

The long and short of it is that modern webpages have a ton of scripts meant to track you. If you're not using a strong ad blocker, you're going to be downloading a lot more than just the pictures and text you see on the screen.

For google, there is a setting that you can turn off the AJAX functions. It used to be that you'd open the site, and be done with it, and type in your search, and then hit send, and it would send the search back to google, and then they'd send you a new site with your search results.

Now, that process is happening in realtime for every letter you type. So, when you type "A" it starts sending A back to google, to start doing the search and sending your computer results, then you type S, and it repeats. (imagining you're typing astronaut. for some reason)

See if you can turn off that functionality and if it improves.

C40_guy
06-11-2019, 02:17 PM
My specific question is why would I have problems using Google, when most of what I'm downloading from there should not take that long to transmit to (from???) my computer?

Try a different browser, perhaps with "privacy" turned on. You might have some profiling/data collection going on in your primary browser.

Also, have you tried a different computer in the same location?