PDA

View Full Version : Campy Proton w 11sp?

Jimbo
06-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Hello All:
I bought some older Campy Proton wheels (with Campy freehub) and just went to install an 11sp cassette. Its rubs on the hub!
Doesn't look like I would have enough room to put a spacer behind the cassette. Are these only good for 8, 9, 10sp?
Thanks,
Jim

tuscanyswe
06-08-2019, 03:25 PM
Yes only 10s. And 10 fits only because they are available as loose cogs. Dont think a 10s cluster will fit either. Btw how old? Im talking about the older silver hub/spoked 1998 ish wheels.

Jimbo
06-08-2019, 03:46 PM
I was afraid of that. Its okay as I still run 9sp on a couple of bikes.
No these are black hubs but clearly older.
Thanks,
Jim

Yes only 10s. And 10 fits only because they are available as loose cogs. Dont think a 10s cluster will fit either. Btw how old? Im talking about the older silver hub/spoked 1998 ish wheels.

Mark McM
06-08-2019, 04:48 PM
I believe these wheels use HPW hubs (hour glass shaped hub shells that use straight pull spokes on the drive side), in which case they will not be able to fit Campagnolo's 11 speed cassettes. But there are aftermarket Campagnolo compatible 11spd cassettes that will work. For example, IRD makes Campagnolo 11spd cassettes (http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes-freewheels) that will fit these wheels. There are other aftermarket cassettes from other manufacturers that may also work.

Mark McM
06-08-2019, 04:55 PM
Yes only 10s. And 10 fits only because they are available as loose cogs. Dont think a 10s cluster will fit either.

In addition to loose sprocket 10 speed cassettes, 10 speed sprockets with clusters of sprockets rivetted to carriers will also fit these wheels.

There is one potential caveat - HPW hubs move the spokes further outboard than traditional hubs, so there will be less clearance between the spokes and derailleur with 10spd and 11spd cassettes. However, since the spokes angle inward from the hub, using a larger cassette will increase the spoke/derailleur clearance. So while an 11spd 11-23 cassette may result in spoke/derailleur interference, there should be adequate clearance with a cassette with a bigger sprocket, like an 29 or 32.

bfd
06-08-2019, 05:18 PM

Interesting as I run Campy Proton wheels with 11 speed Chorus 12-29 cassette and it works great! I’m even using a Sram etap drivetrain. The one that didn’t fit an 11 speed cassette was the Electrons. I was told by the seller that they only fit up to 10 speed cassette.

Obviously, YMMV!

Good Luck!

slambers3
06-08-2019, 05:21 PM
A friend of mine had this very problem, and was able to source a narrow shim that allowed the cassette to clear the hub.

ultraman6970
06-08-2019, 05:40 PM
Not all the hour glass hubs wheels are the same. The nucleons work with 11 aswell.

Never seen a proton in detail but, it is a problem with the whole FHB being deeper than the new ones or is a problem about how the FHB sits in the hub? asking because if the hub is oversize I do not see a reason why a later generation FHB could not be used?

comments?

tuscanyswe
06-09-2019, 01:05 AM
Interesting as I run Campy Proton wheels with 11 speed Chorus 12-29 cassette and it works great! I’m even using a Sram etap drivetrain. The one that didn’t fit an 11 speed cassette was the Electrons. I was told by the seller that they only fit up to 10 speed cassette.

Obviously, YMMV!

Good Luck!

Actually the 1998ish Hubs are the same on electrons and Protons or so i thought.. Having had both silver record n protons recently they certainly looked the same.

tuscanyswe
06-09-2019, 01:08 AM
In addition to loose sprocket 10 speed cassettes, 10 speed sprockets with clusters of sprockets rivetted to carriers will also fit these wheels.

There is one potential caveat - HPW hubs move the spokes further outboard than traditional hubs, so there will be less clearance between the spokes and derailleur with 10spd and 11spd cassettes. However, since the spokes angle inward from the hub, using a larger cassette will increase the spoke/derailleur clearance. So while an 11spd 11-23 cassette may result in spoke/derailleur interference, there should be adequate clearance with a cassette with a bigger sprocket, like an 29 or 32.

Hmm u r usually correct so i will take yr word for it but i have some recollection of testing a record 10 and failing but my memory could be off. Wouldent be the first time 🤔

David Benson
06-09-2019, 03:16 AM
Im talking about the older silver hub/spoked 1998 ish wheels.
That’s not what we’re talking about here.
Proton is a 10 speed era wheelset with the Record 99 hub internals.

tuscanyswe
06-09-2019, 03:32 AM
That’s not what we’re talking about here.
Proton is a 10 speed era wheelset with the Record 99 hub internals.

How was one suppose to know that if not specified? And the protons were available before then so how can you say they are 10s era? Its like saying shamal is 11s era wheels because they are available today as well? I would think if anything protons were 9 speed era as that was when they were introduced afaik

David Benson
06-09-2019, 04:00 AM
How was one suppose to know that if not specified? And the protons were available before then so how can you say they are 10s era? Its like saying shamal is 11s era wheels because they are available today as well? I would think if anything protons were 9 speed era as that was when they were introduced afaik

Nope. There was only one Proton wheelset.
Introduced 2001, discontinued 06.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/118866-2/2001+Campagnolo+Catalog.pdf

tuscanyswe
06-09-2019, 04:30 AM
Are u saying these box section rimmed wheels labelled Protons i sold last week are from 2001 or later then? I think you are incorrect.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=223036&highlight=Proton

oldpotatoe
06-09-2019, 07:15 AM
Are u saying these box section rimmed wheels labelled Protons i sold last week are from 2001 or later then? I think you are incorrect.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=223036&highlight=Proton

I’m not at home so can’t look it up but those are first gen, 1 cross DS rear type that I think are in the 1999 or so era...and yes, 10s, not 11s...

tuscanyswe
06-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Thanks Peter thats okay. Im pretty confident they are way earlier than 2001 and 9s era not 10.. So dont go through any trouble on my account but thanks for offering, as usual generous with your time and knowledge :) And yes fits 10s but not 11s as you say.

bfd
06-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Actually the 1998ish Hubs are the same on electrons and Protons or so i thought.. Having had both silver record n protons recently they certainly looked the same.

Yes, I have a wheelset with a Chorus rear hub, with the oversized axle, and the proton rear hub looks to be exactly the same, except the proton hub is black not silver.

I currently run a Chorus 12-29 11 speed cassette and have fitted a Centaur 11-32 11 speed cassette on it and both work perfectly with my Sram etap 11 drivetrain. So perhaps I have a later wheelset and you have an early one?

Good Luck!

oldpotatoe
06-10-2019, 07:25 AM
Thanks Peter thats okay. Im pretty confident they are way earlier than 2001 and 9s era not 10.. So dont go through any trouble on my account but thanks for offering, as usual generous with your time and knowledge :) And yes fits 10s but not 11s as you say.

No problem, it’s one of those obscure bit of Campag knowledge rattling around in my head...the first gen, 1 cross, HPW hub, silver was also ‘recalled, and were relaced 2 cross...and there is a later, black hub version, 2 cross and 11/12s compatible...just don’t remember the years...curious now...get home from the land of cheese and mosquitoes the size of buicks on Wednesday....

tuscanyswe
06-10-2019, 07:29 AM
No problem, it’s one of those obscure bit of Campag knowledge rattling around in my head...the first gen, 1 cross, HPW hub, silver was also ‘recalled, and were relaced 2 cross...and there is a later, black hub version, 2 cross and 11/12s compatible...just don’t remember the years...curious now...get home from the land of cheese and mosquitoes the size of buicks on Wednesday....

Ha i dident know about the recall but i have some vague recollection of someone telling me that the clinchers broke spokes all the time but that the tubulars were okay. Or perhaps it was the other way around hmm :) cant recall. Wonder if thats the same issue that you remember with a recall.

These were 98 and were on one of the famous Pantani pirata bikes.
Which is also the reason why they sell as hot cakes even for 500

Lots of ppl want to have that replica bike all period correct i guess .)