PDA

View Full Version : Spot what's wrong with this picture

cribbit
06-07-2019, 09:19 PM
https://i.imgur.com/pPcF5m2.png

sigh

Tony
06-07-2019, 10:10 PM
I have two wheelsets with this bub, can't see the problem with it. Interested.

jtbadge
06-07-2019, 10:11 PM
TA end caps but no disc mount? Woof.

joosttx
06-07-2019, 10:11 PM
Seems like a really long axle.

jasonification
06-07-2019, 10:27 PM
Seems like a really long axle.

i concur with this

corky
06-08-2019, 03:39 AM
It’s not Campagnolo?

vqdriver
06-08-2019, 04:20 AM

I like this one

johnniecakes
06-08-2019, 05:42 AM
Painted freehub body?

oldpotatoe
06-08-2019, 06:35 AM

Yup, TA but rim brakes....

R3awak3n
06-08-2019, 06:55 AM
I would never have a disc bike without TA again but man, what a pain in the ass would be to have TA on a rim brake bike.

This is probably for a show bike or something like that

MattTuck
06-08-2019, 08:43 AM
I would never have a disc bike without TA again but man, what a pain in the ass would be to have TA on a rim brake bike.

This is probably for a show bike or something like that

Having not yet been inducted into the TA club, can someone help me understand why?

doomridesout
06-08-2019, 08:59 AM
Having not yet been inducted into the TA club, can someone help me understand why?

Because TAs are a pain in the ass. I say this as a recent inductee. You take a wheel off, do you set the TA on the ground? If you do, it’s possible to get a pebble or something stuck on the coarse threads that fouls the threads when you put it back on.
Hold the end in your mouth to keep it off the ground? Where does the TA live when you get a flat? Serious question- this is a really inconvenient aspect of TA.
QRs stay with the wheel. That’s a big plus IMO.

Tony
06-08-2019, 09:00 AM
I have the same question, can't see what would be the hassle having a TA with rim brakes? I would prefer a TA with rim brakes.

Tony
06-08-2019, 09:10 AM
Because TAs are a pain in the ass. I say this as a recent inductee. You take a wheel off, do you set the TA on the ground? If you do, it’s possible to get a pebble or something stuck on the coarse threads that fouls the threads when you put it back on.
Hold the end in your mouth to keep it off the ground? Where does the TA live when you get a flat? Serious question- this is a really inconvenient aspect of TA.

Why not just insert the TA back into the hub when you take the wheel off?

Spdntrxi
06-08-2019, 09:52 AM
Yup, TA but rim brakes....

track hub now

Clean39T
06-08-2019, 09:57 AM
It’s not Campagnolo?Wins [emoji3516]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

d_douglas
06-08-2019, 10:25 AM
I wondered about this last year - it seemed possible, but would anyone actually do it? What is the reason for rim brakes and TA ? Special bike? Hack?

Legitimate question - I am a disc brake guy, but have a rim braked roadie that is great as well.

Tony
06-08-2019, 12:25 PM
I wondered about this last year - it seemed possible, but would anyone actually do it? What is the reason for rim brakes and TA ? Special bike? Hack?

Legitimate question - I am a disc brake guy, but have a rim braked roadie that is great as well.

Really none.
Personally I've embraced through-axles, like technology. Its more secure, full proof as the wheel will always be in the same position and some folks feel its stiffer however I can't really tell a differences in that area.

bikinchris
06-08-2019, 04:41 PM

I usually put them into the frame and start the threads.

Mark McM
06-08-2019, 05:33 PM
I have the same question, can't see what would be the hassle having a TA with rim brakes? I would prefer a TA with rim brakes.

Me too. I'm not particularly a fan of rim brakes on road bikes, but I have nothing against TAs; in fact, for everyone except pro racers (and their mechanics who have to do 7 second wheel changes), TAs are probably the better solution all around than quick releases. If adopting TAs for all bikes helps preserve rim brake options on bikes for those who want them, then I'd be happy if all bikes moved to TAs.

R3awak3n
06-08-2019, 05:40 PM

just because its a bit more work than QR... I also always use a torque wrench on mine so its yet another thing to do, with QR you clamp and off you go... TA is a bit more involved. Don't get me wrong, would work just fine but just not necessary...

On a disc brake bike TA is awesome because the wheel goes back the same every single time, long ago are the times of putting a wheel back and not being aligned with the disc caliper and making noises... There is also stiffness but I don't really care about that, never though a disc QR fork was not stiff enough but for the first reason alone I am all for TA.