PDA

View Full Version : Trip to San Francisco

fbhidy
06-06-2019, 10:52 AM
So I'm traveling to San Francisco (near Redwood City actually) next week and I'm deciding between flying with my bike or renting when I get there.

Option 1 - Bring my own bike
I'm flying Jet Blue and its $100 each way to check the bike. I work in a shop and have access to two Thule bike cases (1 soft and 1 hard case). I have two options for bikes to bring (I'll be riding primarily road with some light gravel): Trek Checkpoint SL6 set up for gravel racing but I have a set of Zipp 303's I can mount road tires to and I can also bring the G-Ones that came on the bike if I need. Bike option 2 is a Voodoo Wazoo CX bike (Columbus Steel canti breaks) I can set up with the same tires. Both bikes fit me well, but the Checkpoint with the 303's is a sweeter ride, but I'm worried about the airline travel! Also, I'm racing a couple days before I travel, so I'll have little time to clean and prep the bike before I leave (time crunch issue.) Looking for thoughts and opinions on soft vs hard case for airline travel and issues with carbon damage! The steel bike is kinda the lowest denominator option, but not the end of the world.

Option 2 - Rent when I arrive
Hoping for some suggestions for shops with nicer (but not too expensive) rentals. I'll be renting on Wednesday - Saturday. If anyone has a 58-60cm bike they want to rent/loan let me know! Terrain will be hilly and mixed (light on the gravel) surface. I'm a big guy and like easy gears.

I've read through a number of posts on air travel, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on soft vs hard cases (feel free to direct me to posts if there's a good one I missed.) If I go carbon, and use LOTS of bubble wrap, is the soft case ok? The Thule cases are nice!

Thanks in advance

radsmd
06-06-2019, 11:02 AM
If given the option to ride my own bike or a rental, I will choose my own bike almost each and every time. You know how it rides, you know the fit, you know the maintenance history.

Only time I would rent is if the cycling portion of the trip is small relative to the rest of the trip. Then the trouble with hauling a bike bag/box may be too much.

I have been using an orucase ninja and have used the ritchey soft case before. Never had a problem with damage, even with carbon frame/wheels. Soft case is so much lighter, easier to store and pack, and I’d like to think is treated a little better than hard cases by the baggage handlers.

yinzerniner
06-06-2019, 11:06 AM
If given the option to ride my own bike or a rental, I will choose my own bike almost each and every time. You know how it rides, you know the fit, you know the maintenance history.

Only time I would rent is if the cycling portion of the trip is small relative to the rest of the trip. Then the trouble with hauling a bike bag/box may be too much.

I have been using an orucase ninja and have used the ritchey soft case before. Never had a problem with damage, even with carbon frame/wheels. Soft case is so much lighter, easier to store and pack, and I’d like to think is treated a little better than hard cases by the baggage handlers.

Another fun option could be to join Rapha CC and just rent a nice Canyon for $25 a day. You also get cycling insurance and some free welcome gifts. Would come out a bit more in the end but you don't have to worry about damage or packing, and you get the insurance for the entire year.

Edit: Also forgot - free coffee! That's like a $5000 bonus if you're in San Francisco

fbhidy
06-06-2019, 11:07 AM

Just the kind of advice I was looking for! Thanks for the quick reply.

Now I need to figure out if I can turn around the Checkpoint (cleaning and packing) on Sunday after racing Saturday and leaving at the butt crack of pre-dawn on Monday.

radsmd
06-06-2019, 11:11 AM
Another fun option could be to join Rapha CC and just rent a nice Canyon for $25 a day. You also get cycling insurance and some free welcome gifts. Would come out a bit more in the end but you don't have to worry about damage or packing, and you get the insurance for the entire year.

Edit: Also forgot - free coffee! That's like a $5000 bonus if you're in San Francisco

That is another great option, IF they have your size available and IF you don’t need it more than 3 days (max limit).

prototoast
06-06-2019, 11:12 AM
If you rent, Menlo Velo (in Menlo Park, one town over from Redwood City) has some decent Specialized road bikes for rental. I wouldn't worry too much about flying with a carbon bike as long as it's packed well--the biggest factor with me would be the length of stay. For 4 or more days, I'd bring my own bike. 3 or fewer, I'd rent.

How big are the rides you're looking to take? There are amazing road and gravel rides you can do from Redwood City, but to make the gravel worth it, you'll need to do some pretty big rides with lots of climbing.

FlashUNC
06-06-2019, 11:13 AM
Used a Post Carry Co Transfer Case from San Francisco to France. Carbon bike arrived just fine both there and the return in a soft bag.

CyclingTips had a great column from a baggage handler about which is best for traveling with your bike: https://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/flying-with-your-bike-tips-from-a-baggage-handler/

cgolvin
06-06-2019, 11:18 AM

I would have made the same suggestion…if you were traveling in (at least) one month. The probability that there is a bike available one week out, in my experience, is within epsilon of zero. But if you want one of us RCC members to check availability, give us the exact dates.

Also, renting a bike in SF while staying is Redwood City would be a PITA IMO.

crankles
06-06-2019, 11:29 AM
So I'm traveling to San Francisco (near Redwood City actually) next week and I'm deciding between flying with my bike or renting when I get there.I'll be renting on Wednesday - Saturday. If anyone has a 58-60cm bike they want to rent/loan let me know! Terrain will be hilly and mixed (light on the gravel) surface. I'm a big guy and like easy gears.

All my bikes have 57.8 TT. If you'd like to borrow one, let me know.

Choices are a breadwinner B-Road, A Speedvagen CX, an Alliance all-Road or an Alliance Ti CX currently set up as a SS...but can be converted to etap in 15 minutes.

I'm Oakland so we'd have to work out pickup/drop off

fbhidy
06-06-2019, 11:36 AM
All my bikes have 57.8 TT. If you'd like to borrow one, let me know.

Choices are a breadwinner B-Road, A Speedvagen CX, an Alliance all-Road or an Alliance Ti CX currently set up as a SS...but can be converted to etap in 15 minutes.

I'm Oakland so we'd have to work out pickup/drop off

Those are some very nice bikes and a very generous offer! I may be sending you a PM.

I'm very humbled by generosity the folks on this forum, thank you!

Heisenberg
06-06-2019, 11:38 AM
bring/rent a road bike. redwood city isn't close to SF or oakland. count on an hourish drive to either. as others have said, the fun gravel rides from RC are going to be a long/hard day. you'll be better served on skinnier slicks. rumbling around kings/tunitas/OLH. great road rides out the back door.

palo alto bikes is a good option if you're not able to fly with bike - iirc they rent moots. summit bicycles in PA/burlingame also rent fairly run-of-the-mill trek bikes.

rcc is a "good ****ing luck" on bike availability. i wouldn't count on that at all. and again, an hour+ away.

ibis
06-06-2019, 11:47 AM
I wonder if you could reach out to Ritchey to see if they have a demo you could grab for the weekend. They usually have a few hanging up in their workshop. It's an easy train ride down there, and their office is just steps away from the station.

The RCC is deep in the Marina in SF. Not exactly easy to get to from RWC without a car.

Menlo Velo is a good shop though. Renting might be the easiest choice. Plus Palo Alto Bikes has quite a few group rides that you can join in on if you don't have a good loop in mind (or just head out on Sand Hill and enjoy).

fbhidy
06-06-2019, 11:58 AM
I'm visiting relatives who are cyclists and they've picked a gravel ride and we'll be driving there.

I've also requested a ride up Mt Tam.

We're also planning on riding along the coast somewhere.

So we may not be riding much at all near their house.

I've reached out to them about the feasibility of traveling to pick up a bike in SF proper of Oakland.

I'm still leaning towards bringing the Checkpoint with the Zipps in the soft Thule bag, but not 100%

yinzerniner
06-06-2019, 11:59 AM
rcc is a "good ****ing luck" on bike availability. i wouldn't count on that at all. and again, an hour+ away.

Totally missed the "staying near" Redwood City as opposed to "going near" part of the OP's post. Also missed the next week thing - no possibility for bike availability that close to touchdown. But still 100% standing behind the cost/benefit analysis regarding the free coffee :banana:

Would still say renting is the way to go since that area is cycling heaven and there's plenty of shops pretty close. Would be one thing if availability was lacking, but in that area you can probably grab something very nice for an interesting change of pace from the regular rides.

FlashUNC
06-06-2019, 11:59 AM
I'm visiting relatives who are cyclists and they've picked a gravel ride and we'll be driving there.

I've also requested a ride up Mt Tam.

We're also planning on riding along the coast somewhere.

So we may not be riding much at all near their house.

I've reached out to them about the feasibility of traveling to pick up a bike in SF proper of Oakland.

I'm still leaning towards bringing the Checkpoint with the Zipps in the soft Thule bag, but not 100%

Just cross Oakland off the list. The logistics of getting a bike from the city will be bad enough, much less trying to get across to the East Bay.

fbhidy
06-06-2019, 12:01 PM
I wonder if you could reach out to Ritchey to see if they have a demo you could grab for the weekend. They usually have a few hanging up in their workshop. It's an easy train ride down there, and their office is just steps away from the station.

Damn, my cousin (whom I'm visiting) is only 11 minutes from their offices! I'll have to reach out and ask!

And they replied in like 15 minutes! Waiting on sizing availability, but this would be sweet.

Hindmost
06-06-2019, 01:57 PM
Near Redwood City...

You would be well-served to rent near-by and ride the local area. Look for ride routes that go to Pescadero and San Gregorio. (Do you like hills?)

Driving to the city can be a major hassle, timing is everything.

Maybe plan a one-day to the Marin Headlands (super accessible)/Tamalpais. The locals here might comment on road access (timing for a user-friendly experience?) to Mt. Tam. Check the weather; there can be days in that area where you wouldn't know it was June.

cgolvin
06-06-2019, 02:07 PM
Look for ride routes that go to Pescadero and San Gregorio. (Do you like hills?)

I'm sure the locals can do better, but I have a gorgeous route that @pdmtong assisted with incorporating Tunitas Creek, Pescadero, Old La Honda etc. that I can share. Unfortunately it begins in Pescadero so you couldn't use it for live routing but there are only a couple of turns so it's easily adapted. PM if you want it.

fbhidy
06-06-2019, 02:15 PM
Thanks all for the route suggestions. I'm visiting relatives who are (ultra) cyclists and have lived in the area for 20+ years. I'm at their mercy ;-) with where we ride.

They only asked 2 questions: did I have anywhere that I wanted to ride, and did I fancy riding on the coast/redwoods? I said maybe Mt Tam, and sure why not!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
06-06-2019, 02:42 PM
tam is nice.

on the weekends it's going to be totally packed/traffic-laden this time of year. you can climb on dirt (old railroad grade) to the summit, and it's quite nice. very doable on a road bike, and no cars+mellower grade than on the road.

there's tons of fun gravel stuff off the backside of the mountain, though i've been roundly criticized for calling it gravel. it's rough, steep, fast, but mostly doubletrack/fireroad.

fbhidy
06-06-2019, 02:49 PM
We're riding Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday , with likely a neighborhood ride on Saturday morning, so all good there!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

prototoast
06-06-2019, 02:50 PM
tam is nice.

on the weekends it's going to be totally packed/traffic-laden this time of year. you can climb on dirt (old railroad grade) to the summit, and it's quite nice. very doable on a road bike, and no cars+mellower grade than on the road.

Tam + Road + Weekend = the worst ride you'll ever do.

Heisenberg
06-06-2019, 04:30 PM
Tam + Road + Weekend = the worst ride you'll ever do.

indeed. on the off-chance i have to climb panoramic on a sunny weekend, i've been known to dangle a frame pump from my left hand as a reminder to (drunk) drivers that i exist.

joosttx
06-06-2019, 04:49 PM
indeed. on the off-chance i have to climb panoramic on a sunny weekend, i've been known to dangle a frame pump from my left hand as a reminder to (drunk) drivers that i exist.

Descend Panoramic never ride up it.

Bostic
06-06-2019, 05:05 PM
On the weekends I only climb up to Mt. Tam from the Fairfax Bolinas side to get to the summit. Now that I have a bike with 700x32 I should try that Old Railroad Grade to get to the top.

joosttx
06-06-2019, 05:09 PM
On the weekends I only climb up to Mt. Tam from the Fairfax Bolinas side to get to the summit. Now that I have a bike with 700x32 I should try that Old Railroad Grade to get to the top.

If you start early and do this route. There is no problem doing the “Alpine Dam route” on the weekend and early.

I would never climb panoramic on a weekend or a weekday really

fbhidy
06-07-2019, 07:27 AM
Damn, my cousin (whom I'm visiting) is only 11 minutes from their offices! I'll have to reach out and ask!

And they replied in like 15 minutes! Waiting on sizing availability, but this would be sweet.

So Ritchey has come through! Not sure yet what bike I'll be getting, but I requested a CX or adventure bike.

EB
06-07-2019, 12:44 PM
there's tons of fun gravel stuff off the backside of the mountain, though i've been roundly criticized for calling it gravel. it's rough, steep, fast, but mostly doubletrack/fireroad.

Aren't you the guy who thinks Eldridge is fun on 33mm tires y/n

cnighbor1
06-07-2019, 12:47 PM
and when here lets ride up Mt. diablo
Charles

bward1028
06-07-2019, 01:17 PM
We had really good luck renting a tandem in SF with spinlister.com

wyatt_
06-23-2023, 10:40 AM
Bumping this thread up. Headed to SF in July and debating whether to try the Rapha Club or Sports Basement rentals. Not currently a Rapha member, but could be open to it if it is a good option. Anyone on here able to check if Rapha has a 58cm (or 60cm) bike available around July 3-4? Or able to suggest another for a day or two rental?

sfo1
06-23-2023, 10:45 AM
Pretty sure sports basement rents cannondale. Check their website. As referenced many times, R club is probably the best bet.

Bumping this thread up. Headed to SF in July and debating whether to try the Rapha Club or Sports Basement rentals. Not currently a Rapha member, but could be open to it if it is a good option. Anyone on here able to check if Rapha has a 58cm (or 60cm) bike available around July 3-4? Or able to suggest another for a day or two rental?

Davist
06-23-2023, 12:37 PM
late to the party, I can second the recommendation for Menlo Velo, good folks and reasonable $$ for a rental. Lots of good places to ride on the peninsula.

prototoast
06-23-2023, 01:02 PM
late to the party, I can second the recommendation for Menlo Velo, good folks and reasonable $$ for a rental. Lots of good places to ride on the peninsula.

You're really late to the party, because Menlo Velo closed last year.

Davist
06-23-2023, 02:45 PM
You're really late to the party, because Menlo Velo closed last year.

oops.. carry on

wyatt_
07-14-2023, 03:02 PM
Just following up to say Sports Basement was great, not least because the Presidio location is so convenient to the Marin Headlands. I got one last 30 mile ride the day I had to return the bike because the location made it easy to fit in. Probably would’ve been nice to ride one of Rapha’s OPEN models, but they don’t seem to have much stock (or at least not my size) and the Cannondale Topstone at Sports Basement was as dialed in and capable as I needed.