PDA

View Full Version : OT Gall Bladder Removal.

Len J
12-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Those of you that have had this done........how soon post op where you riding?

Any complications I should worry about?

It's being done Lapriscopically (SP?).

Thanks

Len

DfCas
12-08-2006, 12:55 PM
I walked out after the surgery and had little to no pain,took no pain pills..I'm a type 1 diabetic and recovery was expected to be slow.It wasn't-I was 90% in a week and 100% in 10 days.

My wife (normal health) ate pain pills like candy,stayed in the hospital for 2 days,and took a month to be 90%.

dan

gasman
12-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Dan covered it. Everyone is different, some recover quickly ,some are a bit slower to get back.
I have seen 100's of laproscopic cholecystectomies and the vast majority of people do well and recover quickly. Most of our patients go home the same day a few stay overnight. You should be able to be back on the bike soon-like within a week. Talk to your surgeon and ask him or her for their reccomendations.

PM me if you have any other questions

dekindy
12-08-2006, 01:31 PM
My cousin had her gall bladder taken out when she was in her 20's, strong family history-mom, sister, etc. They were planning on the procedure you are but ended up having to do major surgery to remove it. It takes a very long time to heal when it is removed that way, usually a large incision and hers did not close well. I do not recall what complications caused the change in plans. Just take your time and do not rush it. Best of luck. :)

Remember, minor surgery is a procedure not being done on me! :D

Len J
12-08-2006, 01:34 PM
My cousin had her gall bladder taken out when she was in her 20's, strong family history-mom, sister, etc. They were planning on the procedure you are but ended up having to do major surgery to remove it. It takes a very long time to heal when it is removed that way, usually a large incision and hers did not close well. I do not recall what complications caused the change in plans. Just take your time and do not rush it. Best of luck. :)

Remember, minor surgery is a procedure not being done on me! :D

that's what I expected...just thought I'd double check.

Len

palincss
12-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Dan covered it. Everyone is different, some recover quickly ,some are a bit slower to get back.
I have seen 100's of laproscopic cholecystectomies and the vast majority of people do well and recover quickly. Most of our patients go home the same day a few stay overnight. You should be able to be back on the bike soon-like within a week. Talk to your surgeon and ask him or her for their reccomendations.

Yep, all of that was true for me... but just one wee little thing: nobody told me that for the next several months I'd feel so weak that a newborn kitten could have beat me at arm wrestling. And that, in turn, got me pretty depressed.
So don't be shocked if you are up and about as promised, but don't start feeling "normal" - i.e., able to do what you think you can and always were able to do, for a long time afterwards.

RABikes2
12-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Len,
Hope you are up and around in no time. Thinking about ya buddy.
Best wishes for a quick recovery.
RA

Kevin
12-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Len,
Hope you are up and around in no time. Thinking about ya buddy.
Best wishes for a quick recovery.
RA

+1

Kevin

Len J
12-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Surgery scheduled for 12/28

Len

Louis
12-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Surgery scheduled for 12/28