PDA

View Full Version : 11 speed eTap Wifli - still for sale?

tv_vt
06-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Are any retailers still selling SRAM 11 speed eTap mini-groups (shifters, FD, RD, and battery stuff) for rim brakes and with the Wifli rear derailleur? All I've seen in my searches are groups for disc brakes or 12 speed AXS stuff.

Anyone know if this out of date stuff is still around?

Thanks.

bikinchris
06-05-2019, 09:52 PM
I know I don't have much interest in an AXS group.

FlashUNC
06-05-2019, 09:59 PM
There were some pretty serious discounts last few months before AXS launched from the usual online suspects. My guess is SRAM was clearing the channel for all the AXS stuff.

Its certainly not showing at the usual suspects.

R3awak3n
06-06-2019, 04:48 AM
Someone has a mini group in the classifieds right now.

Wish sram kept the group for a while longer for use 11 speeders. I have a rim brake and disc brake 11 speed etap, just got the hydro. Its excelent, love how it looks, I don’t want to go 12 speed yet.

zmalwo
06-06-2019, 04:50 AM
eTap 11 went for $900 even a few month back on eBay but now it's at around $1200 again. Should have grabbed a set back then.

Hilltopperny
06-06-2019, 06:31 AM
Are any retailers still selling SRAM 11 speed eTap mini-groups (shifters, FD, RD, and battery stuff) for rim brakes and with the Wifli rear derailleur? All I've seen in my searches are groups for disc brakes or 12 speed AXS stuff.

Thanks.My local shop has some 11spd etap, but not sure if there are any wifli setups. Heading there later today, so I'll check the situation out.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

sitzmark
06-06-2019, 07:16 AM
A few kits (7) available from Planet Cyclery through Amazon but at premium price - $1,599. Not available on PC website.

Nevermind - looks like those are not WiFli.

R3awak3n
06-06-2019, 08:13 AM
Lets just hope I never break either of my wifli derailleurs, it will be a huge pita to replace.

cmbicycles
06-06-2019, 09:05 AM

Thanks.

11s is out of date now? What year is it anyway? I'm putting 8s Dura Ace on a frame as we speak... gotta go flip the record over now so the music can continue. ;)

yinzerniner
06-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Lets just hope I never break either of my wifli derailleurs, it will be a huge pita to replace.

One thing SRAM is pretty good at is keeping stock of old groupsets so you should be good for purchasing a new or replacement SRAM ETAP WiFli 1st Gen RD for years to come.

If you do a search for the previous-gen 10 speed Red, Force or Rival you can still get new or NOS items from the big retailers.

Whether this is because of consumer demand or the fact that their kit has the sturdiness is balsa wood and they needed to build a ton for warranty claims is for you to decide. (note: currently have SRAM on all my rides)

bcroslin
06-06-2019, 11:59 AM
My LBS has said 11 speed levers are becoming impossible to get new and my guess is the Wifli RD's are probably going to be tough to find as well.

jb_11
06-06-2019, 01:57 PM
https://www.clevertraining.com/sram-red-etap-road-wifli-kit

R3awak3n
06-06-2019, 02:04 PM
One thing SRAM is pretty good at is keeping stock of old groupsets so you should be good for purchasing a new or replacement SRAM ETAP WiFli 1st Gen RD for years to come.

If you do a search for the previous-gen 10 speed Red, Force or Rival you can still get new or NOS items from the big retailers.

Whether this is because of consumer demand or the fact that their kit has the sturdiness is balsa wood and they needed to build a ton for warranty claims is for you to decide. (note: currently have SRAM on all my rides)

good to know. I do hope they keep some parts on deck but its such a specific thing probably won't be the same as mechanical that has been for a lot of years. Also, neither of my groups were bought new (well 1 of the FDs was new) so no luck on the warranty department. Etap seems solid and seems to have been very well built so lets hope it will last. If I get 5 years out of it I would be happy, more the merrier of course.

Lovetoclimb
06-07-2019, 08:34 AM
Universal Cycles had it on clearance for $1100 w/ short cage RD, little more for long cage I recall.

roguedog
06-07-2019, 09:02 AM
Was also contemplating WiFli before AXS came along. That seemed like a short run for WiFli.

Just took a look at AXS and still WOW :eek: at the pricing and then took a look at the crankset options and there isn't just a regular 50/34 option even if I wanted to spill the $. Hmm.. I might have been tempted by SRAM but now not sure I want to dabble with that much $ and kinda odd gearing options.

Am I missing something here..

jb_11
06-07-2019, 09:12 AM
...there isn't just a regular 50/34 option...

Here's how they are marketing it:

yinzerniner
06-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Was also contemplating WiFli before AXS came along. That seemed like a short run for WiFli.

Just took a look at AXS and still WOW :eek: at the pricing and then took a look at the crankset options and there isn't just a regular 50/34 option even if I wanted to spill the $. Hmm.. I might have been tempted by SRAM but now not sure I want to dabble with that much $ and kinda odd gearing options.

The 46/33 front ring gets you just about the same gearing as a 50/34.

But agree, the crank and chainring offerings are lacking right now. Good thing third parties are offering alternates very soon.

FlashUNC
06-07-2019, 09:22 AM

AXS works. It's good. The gearing is a little odd but the math works out.

I care less about the chainring sizes than the gear inches making sense.

tv_vt
06-07-2019, 09:37 AM
Not crazy about a 10 tooth cog. Lots of webchat about increased friction/wattage with that one.

Hilltopperny
06-07-2019, 10:22 AM
Lbs has some hrd etap groups with wifli, but no single wifli derailleurs available.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

ColonelJLloyd
06-07-2019, 10:27 AM
I care less about the chainring sizes than the gear inches making sense.

Exactly. Not sure why this is such a difficult concept for a lot of cyclists.

Not crazy about a 10 tooth cog. Lots of webchat about increased friction/wattage with that one.

Maybe you spend a lot of time in your tallest gear. I'd say most cyclists spend very little time in that combo.

yinzerniner
06-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Exactly. Not sure why this is such a difficult concept for a lot of cyclists.

Maybe you spend a lot of time in your tallest gear. I'd say most cyclists spend very little time in that combo.

Kind of funny how your second comment compares to the first, as the increased friction from the smaller cogs/chainrings has a lot to do with gear inches. As in, for a given gear inches number the smaller/smaller combo will have more friction than the larger/larger combo - so 25/50 combo will have less friction than 17/34 if all other things are equal. Given this is testing before AXS was available, but pretty much everywhere source that's measured friction has come up with the same conclusion. The smaller cogs/chainrings of the AXS system for a set gear inches number might have higher friction, but maybe the new AXS chain with the larger rollers helps in decreasing friction but it hasn't been tested yet.

FlashUNC
06-07-2019, 11:55 AM

If you're in the 10, regardless of the front big ring, friction will be the least of your worries.

ColonelJLloyd
06-07-2019, 12:55 PM
Kind of funny how your second comment compares to the first, as the increased friction from the smaller cogs/chainrings has a lot to do with gear inches. As in, for a given gear inches number the smaller/smaller combo will have more friction than the larger/larger combo - so 25/50 combo will have less friction than 17/34 if all other things are equal. Given this is testing before AXS was available, but pretty much everywhere source that's measured friction has come up with the same conclusion. The smaller cogs/chainrings of the AXS system for a set gear inches number might have higher friction, but maybe the new AXS chain with the larger rollers helps in decreasing friction but it hasn't been tested yet.

I'm not sure if the friction difference is easily quantified. Nor am I convinced that it is at all meaningful in practice to the average rider. Maybe it is, but I haven't seen any data (haven't looked either).

yinzerniner
06-07-2019, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure if the friction difference is easily quantified. Nor am I convinced that it is at all meaningful in practice to the average rider. Maybe it is, but I haven't seen any data (haven't looked either).

Not really valid for the average mucker, but definitely has been quantified, tested and re-tested numerous times before.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/friction-facts-free-speed-from-proper-shifting/
https://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/DrivetrainEfficiency.aspx
https://www.velonews.com/2019/05/bikes-and-tech/gear-issue-friction-differences-between-1x-and-2x-drivetrains_493185
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/The_Small_Cog_Conundrum_7023.html

Basically - the chain creates the vast majority of drivetrain losses because of it's construction. The more it bends, the more total movement and rubbing of different parts together, the more friction and power losses. Whether this is important to the end user - only they can decide.

For me - not important. Wanted a true ETAP system with a clutch RD, got it with AXS. Don't need the extra 1.21 picowatts of efficiency gain from the larger cogs/chainrings.