PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a new hybrid bike?

abeship
06-04-2019, 08:20 AM
My girlfriend is hoping to get into riding a bit and I think the easiest way to get that started is for us to get a pair of new hybrids that fit. Hoping lower price range, $4-600 for each bike.

I don't usually deal in this realm, are there any suggestions you guys might have? We're not looking for drop bars just yet, was thinking maybe REI or something similar has a house brand that might be decent-ish for the money?

charliedid
06-04-2019, 08:33 AM
My girlfriend is hoping to get into riding a bit and I think the easiest way to get that started is for us to get a pair of new hybrids that fit. Hoping lower price range, $4-600 for each bike.

I don't usually deal in this realm, are there any suggestions you guys might have? We're not looking for drop bars just yet, was thinking maybe REI or something similar has a house brand that might be decent-ish for the money?

Find the oldest Trek Specialized Giant dealer in town and go ride bikes.

REI is fine but IMO (at least here) they are staffed by morons.

false_Aest
06-04-2019, 08:38 AM
I don't usually recommend this but it might be worth while to check out Linus (ex-employer).

We/They released 5 models for 2019 that, for once, don't suck -- I fixed some geometry problems and brought a few things closer to 1996.

FWIW, if she wants something that's a bit more femm, check out the Mixte 7i. It's a little heavy (33-35lbs IIRC) but rides really well.

Lighter + Faster are the Prontos (8 + 10 speed 1x)

The burrito/bar bike is the Rover 9 (650x45 1x9. Just got a bit of a bump through a Bicycling Mag review)

charliedid
06-04-2019, 08:50 AM
I don't usually recommend this but it might be worth while to check out Linus (ex-employer).

We/They released 5 models for 2019 that, for once, don't suck -- I fixed some geometry problems and brought a few things closer to 1996.

FWIW, if she wants something that's a bit more femm, check out the Mixte 7i. It's a little heavy (33-35lbs IIRC) but rides really well.

The burrito/bar bike is the Rover 9 (650x45 1x9. Just got a bit of a bump through a Bicycling Mag review)

Not a bad idea either.

MilanoTom
06-04-2019, 09:57 AM
If you like steel, the Jamis Coda Sport has a full cro-mo frame and fork and lists for $579. It's gone up about twenty bucks in the last few months, thanks to the tariffs. If you can find a shop with some older stock, you be able to get the pre-tariff price.

Tom

buddybikes
06-04-2019, 10:05 AM
A good boyfriend will build up an older custom frame off of Paceline and put flat bars on it

b3pkay
06-04-2019, 10:17 AM

Funny, my mom asked me about the Trek FX3 yesterday and I know nothing about this type of bike. Does the Rover have mounts for racks? Her touring bike isn't working for her anymore and she's looking for comfort, cruising, and casual, but I know she likes having a rack.

charliedid
06-04-2019, 10:23 AM
A good boyfriend will build up an older custom frame off of Paceline and put flat bars on it

I disagree,

A brand new bike is the way to go.

Bentley
06-04-2019, 10:38 AM

I think building up something off here with a flat bar (dont tell anyone) makes sense. Hybrid bikes are a compromise on a lot of levels and there is really no path of upgrade that makes sense. I think you could find a nice frame, or a complete bike, with some minimal changes and she would be good to go.

I honestly think a Hybrid is a guarantee to spend more money on something that works.

Best

Ray

Ken Robb
06-04-2019, 10:55 AM
I think building up something off here with a flat bar (dont tell anyone) makes sense. Hybrid bikes are a compromise on a lot of levels and there is really no path of upgrade that makes sense. I think you could find a nice frame, or a complete bike, with some minimal changes and she would be good to go.

I honestly think a Hybrid is a guarantee to spend more money on something that works.

Best

Ray

Maybe true, but if you buy them used you can probably sell them for what you paid next year when you know what you want as an up-grade or that you/she have no interest in riding bikes at all.

MilanoTom
06-04-2019, 10:59 AM

Best

Ray

Don't be such a snob. Drop bar road bikes aren't everybody's cup of tea. I know people who commute every day on hybrids and I know other folks on hybrids who finish charity rides covering 300 miles in three days. Would I choose a hybrid? No, but that's me.

Tom

Bentley
06-04-2019, 11:17 AM
Don't be such a snob. Drop bar road bikes aren't everybody's cup of tea. I know people who commute every day on hybrids and I know other folks on hybrids who finish charity rides covering 300 miles in three days. Would I choose a hybrid? No, but that's me.

Tom

My experience is that you buy a Hybrid and the experience is lacking, its ok for putzing around, but you cant take it out on a charity ride (50 miles) and find that pushing that heavy bike around is enjoyable.

Buying a used bike here, putting a flat bar on it, maybe put a "cush" saddle (dont recommend that either) and then at least you have a bike you can take out on a real ride.

If the girlfriend does not like cycling, you likely get most of your money back, if she likes it, then its an easy upgrade.

Most of these Hybrid bikes are heavy with low end components that really detract from the user experience.

Just my opinion, the OP can do as he pleases.

Ray

rwsaunders
06-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Let her pick it out and go new like CD indicated...fenders if you live in an area where the roads gets wet and a basket. Been there done that with two of the women in my house (wife and daughter) with definite success. I ride my early 80’s Stumpjumper when I’m with them on the pathways and save the new bike money for them.

PS Buy that Bridgestone that posted for yourself if it fits.

yinzerniner
06-04-2019, 11:54 AM
My experience is that you buy a Hybrid and the experience is lacking, its ok for putzing around, but you cant take it out on a charity ride (50 miles) and find that pushing that heavy bike around is enjoyable.

Buying a used bike here, putting a flat bar on it, maybe put a "cush" saddle (dont recommend that either) and then at least you have a bike you can take out on a real ride.

If the girlfriend does not like cycling, you likely get most of your money back, if she likes it, then its an easy upgrade.

Most of these Hybrid bikes are heavy with low end components that really detract from the user experience.

Ray

Have to disagree on this one as you're forgetting some key pieces of information:

1 - According to the OP this is a novice rider. With a road bike getting the rider comfortable is a bit of stretch - no pun intended. To someone who's not used to the handling, balance, speed or technique of riding a hunched over position with unfamiliarity might just dissuade them from the activity all together. With a hybrid bike the position is much more seated as opposed to stanced. And even just installing a flat bar to a road bike the geometry and handling will be really out of whack, making bike handling ever more difficult for the novice.

2 - "Heavy" and "low end" don't really apply anymore as a lot of the newer hybrids have good groupsets (yay trickle down!) and don't weigh that much more than beloved steel road bikes (~22-25 lbs) with super heavy wheels which is where the greatest amount of cost-cutting occurs.

3 - A lot of manufacturers have liberal return policies which would be much easier than maintaining and re-selling a repurposed frame just in case the cycling bug doesn't stick.

charliedid
06-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Seriously!

Hey (insert girlfriend's name) guess what!

What?

You know how we were going to go buy new bikes together so we can do stuff together and you get a new bike, one that you like and you like the color of and you like how it feels and you got a really big smile after trying a bunch of them and you found one that you really really like?! And I got one too so it would be like a thing that we do together?!

Yeah?

Well (insert girlfriend's name) I have a MUCH better idea!

What's that?

I'm gonna buy you (don't worry I'll pick a good one) an old used bike that nobody wants anymore from a stranger on that bike forum I spend too much time on!

What?

No, yeah it will be way better because like everyone said new bikes the geometry is all heavy and wrong and you get to pick the color you like and the right saddle that fits good and is way cleaner and not nearly as much fun for you but the guys on the forum helped me pick just the right one and...we all agreed.

What?

I thought we were going to both go shopping for new bikes for us!?

What?

2metalhips
06-04-2019, 01:54 PM
REI has a one year return policy, no questions asked.

MilanoTom
06-04-2019, 02:04 PM

Ray

I'm not sure why you seem to be saying that what I wrote wasn't true.

MY experience, from having worked as a mechanic on the same charity ride for thirteen years, is that people can and do ride hybrids for hundreds of miles over the course of a three day event. Frankly, I'm amazed that they do, but they do.

false_Aest
06-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Funny, my mom asked me about the Trek FX3 yesterday and I know nothing about this type of bike. Does the Rover have mounts for racks? Her touring bike isn't working for her anymore and she's looking for comfort, cruising, and casual, but I know she likes having a rack.

All Linus bikes come with mounts for racks and fenders.

choke
06-04-2019, 05:07 PM
MY experience, from having worked as a mechanic on the same charity ride for thirteen years, is that people can and do ride hybrids for hundreds of miles over the course of a three day event. Frankly, I'm amazed that they do, but they do.Many years ago I was on a 7 day ride across MO. There were two young girls who were riding Huffy MTBs -knobbies and all - and while they were about the last people to finish every day they did indeed do the entire ride.