PDA

View Full Version : Tips for staying safe with a bike for bike swap

type2sam
06-03-2019, 05:35 PM
All,

I may be doing a non-face to face trade of framesets (via BikeFlights) with a non-Paceliner.

Seems like an upstanding fellow, but looking for your experience/advice on how to keep both parties happy and safe.

I'm expecting PayPal regular (not F&F) will play a role here.

Thanks!

Louis
06-03-2019, 05:41 PM
Didn't realize that this wasn't face-to-face.
(unless the OP edited things after the original post)

Ooops.

Good Luck with the swap.

charliedid
06-03-2019, 05:43 PM
I've always done a nominal $1 to $10 exchange via Papal to have everything recorded. I don't know if this is good advice or not.

I think if you have enough email and phone discourse/exchange you can get a handle on how legit it all seems.

charliedid
06-03-2019, 05:56 PM
You could also have a third party check out the bike if possible.

kookmyers
06-03-2019, 06:03 PM
I'm thinking the best way to do this would be to assign an accurate estimate of dollar value to each of the frames. Then just buy them from each other through Paypal (not F&F). It seems everyone is protected that way. Maybe this only works if the two frames are really close in value. I assume there would have to be some proof of value to make a claim if something goes south.

yinzerniner
06-03-2019, 06:29 PM
I'm thinking the best way to do this would be to assign an accurate estimate of dollar value to each of the frames. Then just buy them from each other through Paypal (not F&F). It seems everyone is protected that way. Maybe this only works if the two frames are really close in value. I assume there would have to be some proof of value to make a claim if something goes south.

I've done this method with other items and they don't necessarily have to be close in value - maybe ballpark within 10-15% of each other just so there's not too much actual monetary loss in either direction.

But it's the safest way to go. Also taking pictures of receipt and actual acceptance then emailing it to each other immediately is a good proof or receipt.

GLWTT

FlashUNC
06-03-2019, 06:41 PM
I don't know how, but I'm reasonably sure a U-lock would help in some way.

William
06-03-2019, 06:51 PM

I bet a Flash-Lock would be better.:p

W.

bicycletricycle
06-03-2019, 06:59 PM

Why not just bring a gun?

William
06-03-2019, 07:00 PM
Why not just bring a gun?

Let's not go there...

W.

bicycletricycle
06-03-2019, 07:04 PM
The U lock is okay though?

Let's not go there...

W.

William
06-03-2019, 07:08 PM
The U lock is okay though?

No, hence the previous response to Flash's comment.

I'm fine with handing out time outs if people want to keep pushing the envelope. I would rather not, all folks need to do is be cordial.

W.

bicycletricycle
06-03-2019, 07:09 PM
Whenever I do a craigslist hand off I just do it t the mall. No weapons.

Matthew
06-03-2019, 08:49 PM
You guys did see it's a non face to face hand off correct? Via Bike flights?

type2sam
06-04-2019, 04:55 AM
You guys did see it's a non face to face hand off correct? Via Bike flights?

Exactly. I have no concerns about my personal safety per se, more about steps we can take to keep our commitments on both sides of the transaction.

BubbleWrap
06-04-2019, 05:35 AM
You may be surprised how little protection PayPal’s goods and services option actually provides if you encounter trouble. One or multiple third parties has been the best option for me in the past. I used to set up my own shipping, have a local shop verify with their local shop that the bikes/frames were in their possession and they would Be picked ups or whoever for transport. I used to bring them a pizza, 6 pack, or something of that nature for their help.

charliedid
06-04-2019, 06:09 AM
You may be surprised how little protection PayPal’s goods and services option actually provides if you encounter trouble. One or multiple third parties has been the best option for me in the past. I used to set up my own shipping, have a local shop verify with their local shop that the bikes/frames were in their possession and they would Be picked ups or whoever for transport. I used to bring them a pizza, 6 pack, or something of that nature for their help.

I just like the idea of trading $ via Paypal because you can be reasonably sure about who you are dealing with, right? I mean you have a name and an address of this person. Also, social media (not always) is a quick way to verify people are who they say they are.

I don't buy and sell all that much but I can usually tell when something seems amiss pretty quickly. Luckily it's never been an issue.