PDA

View Full Version : interesting dialogue between a bike rider and runner

zank
12-07-2006, 08:13 PM
I had some intersting travels this week. Got chatting with a runner fella. He does some 10Ks and half marathons. We got talking about cyclocross and how this weekend is the last big New England series weekend and then next week is Nationals.

Anyway, we got on the subject of equipment. It came up because I told him how I flatted last weekend and I was anxious to get home to mount up a new tire. He probed a little, and, of course it dawned on me that he didn't have the faintest clue what I was talking about. He couldn't understand why it took 24 hours for a bicycle tire to be ready. Yes, I was referring to mounting a cross tubular.

I explained the tires and the process of mounting them and he thought I was completely nuts. I guess I am a little nuts. There are plenty are top pros in the US running clinchers. I am a cat 4 (with a cat 3 upgrade on the way!); I don't need tubulars. But, come on, those Belgian pros are running tubulars. I love the way they ride. I feel faster riding them. He still thought I was nuts.

I broke it down for him like this. If the Kenyans were gluing some fancy rubber things to the bottom of their shoes and it made them faster, wouldn't you want to try it? Nope. No way. Too much work. Not worth gaining a few seconds.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting dialogue. I love working on my equipment and working with my hands. That is one thing that drew me to bicycles and cycling. The rituals. I just got done huffing Mastik and sticking a tire on. I guess I would get board if all my sport had was sneakers and a singlet. And I would glue on whatever the Kenyans were gluing on. Green gas tank syndrome I guess.

pdxmech13
12-07-2006, 09:18 PM
There is something to be said for the labor one can do.
i really want to get into wood carving but i hardly find
time to ride let alone work on my bike.

coylifut
12-07-2006, 09:32 PM
I had some intersting travels this week. Got chatting with a runner fella. He does some 10Ks and half marathons. We got talking about cyclocross and how this weekend is the last big New England series weekend and then next week is Nationals.

Anyway, we got on the subject of equipment. It came up because I told him how I flatted last weekend and I was anxious to get home to mount up a new tire. He probed a little, and, of course it dawned on me that he didn't have the faintest clue what I was talking about. He couldn't understand why it took 24 hours for a bicycle tire to be ready. Yes, I was referring to mounting a cross tubular.

I explained the tires and the process of mounting them and he thought I was completely nuts. I guess I am a little nuts. There are plenty are top pros in the US running clinchers. I am a cat 4 (with a cat 3 upgrade on the way!); I don't need tubulars. But, come on, those Belgian pros are running tubulars. I love the way they ride. I feel faster riding them. He still thought I was nuts.

I broke it down for him like this. If the Kenyans were gluing some fancy rubber things to the bottom of their shoes and it made them faster, wouldn't you want to try it? Nope. No way. Too much work. Not worth gaining a few seconds.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting dialogue. I love working on my equipment and working with my hands. That is one thing that drew me to bicycles and cycling. The rituals. I just got done huffing Mastik and sticking a tire on. I guess I would get board if all my sport had was sneakers and a singlet. And I would glue on whatever the Kenyans were gluing on. Green gas tank syndrome I guess.

there's something about preping the bike for race day. putting on the race day only wheels, no matter how blingy or how modest they are, gets you mentally ready to go out and "giver." that's why i don't train on my best equipment. it's not as much about wearing out the good stuff as it is having something to go to for the big day.

chrisroph
12-07-2006, 10:07 PM
I love having superb equipment that fits and works great. It provides a level of confidence and reliance. Last Saturday, the club was descending mcnamee from skyline, a very sinuous and steep road. On one extremely tight right hander, we encountered ice. I found myself in the drops of my fendered majestic doing a two wheel drift moving towards the gravel shoulder, which I used to regain traction and ride it out. Because that bike handles so well and is so balanced, I had no fear and complete confidence in my ability to pull it off.

Good equipment rocks.

Climb01742
12-08-2006, 04:43 AM
there are runners who are just as meticulous/crazy about their equipment, especially shoes. every serious runner has training shoes (nice weather), training shoes (rain/crappy weather), and racing flats. plus race day apparel. the difference, i think, is fewer bits to obsess over. plus, equipment junkies (myself included) gravitate more to something like cycling, with more bits to be a junkie about. much of running's lure is it's simplicity.

kestrel
12-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Best conversation I ever had with a runner was to roll up behind him on a quiet morning, and BARK! Man he jumped the curb and flew through some hedges in front of a house. Yep, I did it on clinchers. If I had my tubbies, I really could have frightened him. :banana: :no: :D