PDA

View Full Version : Disc brakes

Basso69
06-01-2019, 08:26 PM
Where are all the disc brake bikes at the Girl?

Basso69
06-01-2019, 08:29 PM
I meant Giro

Kirk007
06-01-2019, 11:05 PM
I see quite a few every morning in the peloton. Ciccone - Trek Segafredo was on one today.

oldpotatoe
06-02-2019, 07:07 AM
Where are all the disc brake bikes at the Girl?

Tee-hee

Trek
Bora
Quick-Step
I think one of the smaller Campag equipped teams Nippo-Vini??
Katusha I think

BUT, teams and riders, along with neutral support are still not huge fans because of wheel changes. PLUS, lotsa riders still see discs as 'superfluous' and an extra complication particularly since going down hill with carbon wheels and rim brakes doesn't seem a big deal..certainly, discs aren't 'game changers'...

Or guys with discs on wet days, going down hill, would be kickin' butt..and they aren't...still the driver.

Tommasini53
06-02-2019, 08:17 AM
During a bike change due to a puncture, one of the FloSports commentators expressed (tongue in cheek I assume and not an exact quote, but the point was clear), "...if only someone would invent a lever that could release the wheel." A good summation of the industry. :bike:

oldpotatoe
06-02-2019, 08:48 AM
Jungels right now on ITT at Giro..17km..dry, Spec-Ed with disc brakes..don't see how rotors/calipers are 'more aero' than leaf type brakes behind fork and under BB..on a TT bike..:confused:

Mark McM
06-03-2019, 01:18 PM
Jungels right now on ITT at Giro..17km..dry, Spec-Ed with disc brakes..don't see how rotors/calipers are 'more aero' than leaf type brakes behind fork and under BB..on a TT bike..:confused:

Chad Haga won the last stage of the Giro on a disc brake TT bike.

While the same day, this happened:

Paris-Roubaix under-23 rider suffers gruesome wound to his leg he says was caused by disc brake (https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/paris-roubaix-23-rider-suffers-gruesome-wound-leg-says-caused-disc-brake-425947)

Clean39T
06-03-2019, 02:54 PM
Chad Haga won the last stage of the Giro on a disc brake TT bike.

While the same day, this happened:

Paris-Roubaix under-23 rider suffers gruesome wound to his leg he says was caused by disc brake (https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/paris-roubaix-23-rider-suffers-gruesome-wound-leg-says-caused-disc-brake-425947)Gruesome is right!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy sti
06-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Who cares what 150 bike riders used in a bike race? I have three road type bikes and multiple mountain bikes with disc brakes and I love them. I can guarantee I am a faster cross racer when I have disc brakes and I wouldn't build a gravel bike without disc. My pure road bikes are rim and I wouldn't change that also.

If you have ever ridden a disc brake bike in multiple conditions you would see the positives. It's not an us vs them.

oldpotatoe
06-04-2019, 05:59 AM
Who cares what 150 bike riders used in a bike race? I have three road type bikes and multiple mountain bikes with disc brakes and I love them. I can guarantee I am a faster cross racer when I have disc brakes and I wouldn't build a gravel bike without disc. My pure road bikes are rim and I wouldn't change that also.

If you have ever ridden a disc brake bike in multiple conditions you would see the positives. It's not an us vs them.

You may not but the bike makers certainly do...disc brake in ‘multiple conditions’, and TT bike ???? Oookay. :eek: Yup, discs, as they have proven in the MTB world, are GREAT, wet, muddy, cruddy, where you might wack a wheel...
Maybe for that gRoad ITT. :)

fignon's barber
06-04-2019, 07:46 AM
Having used both for a year now, my opinion is discs are nice for offroad, but the simplicity of rim brakes is better on the road. If you want bigger tires for road, direct mount brakes is probably the solution.

Burnette
06-04-2019, 10:08 AM

You're right, the vast majority of buyers don't care what they're riding in the TDF, much less the Giro.

Bike races are just marketing tools for the Koolaid stirrers

FlashUNC
06-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Having used both for a year now, my opinion is discs are nice for offroad, but the simplicity of rim brakes is better on the road. If you want bigger tires for road, direct mount brakes is probably the solution.

Pretty much my conclusion as well. I've got a frame that fits 30s with direct mount brakes. If I need more tire than that, I'm not riding a road bike anymore, frankly.

tony_mm
06-04-2019, 10:20 AM
Pretty much my conclusion as well. I've got a frame that fits 30s with direct mount brakes. If I need more tire than that, I'm not riding a road bike anymore, frankly.

Yep and all gravel bikes have disc brakes.

crossjunkee
06-04-2019, 11:32 AM
The first 5 mile descent with disc brakes convinced me I'm not going back to rim brakes on my road bikes. Disc brakes are here to stay.

Clean39T
06-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Yep and all gravel bikes have disc brakes.

All?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190604/5aa7699c1d054e3d372627318b9f9d5a.jpg

simonov
06-04-2019, 12:18 PM
I got a dedicated zwift bike with disc brakes. You can never be too careful.

Clean39T
06-04-2019, 12:21 PM
I got a dedicated zwift bike with disc brakes. You can never be too careful.POTD [emoji1787]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tommasini53
06-05-2019, 07:15 AM
My road and gravel bikes have disc brakes; 700c discs and calipers attached to the seat stays. :bike:

Likes2ridefar
06-05-2019, 08:51 AM
Two years into my foray into disc road, although the roubaix I have with 32mm tires is closer to a gravel bike, I’d not give a seconds thought to going back to rim brakes for any sort of bike. Less maintenance, cheaper to maintain, work better...I can’t imagine how many pads I’d gone through on rim brake bike with all the dusty dry gravel riding I do. Disc? One pad set in two years...never had to adjust the pads, silent all the time, didnt need a bleed yet, same original cables with the new bike....

Miljack
06-06-2019, 03:45 PM
Subscribed as I'm not fast enough to worry about braking downhill...