PDA

View Full Version : FS: 2007 Campy Record compact crankset 172.5mm

Johny
12-07-2006, 08:01 PM
SOLD! THANKS. 172.5mm 50/34. New in sealed box, never installed, never used. YES, 2007 ulta-torque and ultra-hollow. See this for more info:
http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/cranksets_road/FCC_REC0740.html -- $601.46 from totalcycling.com.

My price: $450 plus actual shipping (max. $8.10 by USPS priority mail in the US) .

I also have new in box "English" BB cups/set for $15 shipped together with the cranks.

I decide to go SILVER-aluminum cranks (Centaur) so this is for you weightweenies, BLACK-carbon, and high-tech guys. :)

Johny
12-07-2006, 09:42 PM
BB cups are necessary for installing the cranks and are Campagnolo RECORD.

Keith A
12-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Hi Johny -- A couple of questions about the new Campy compacts in general. Is Centaur the first level where an aluminum crank is available? Any idea in the weight differences between Centaur and Chorus or Record? I'm planning on doing the 6 Gap ride next year and want to use a compact drive and like the new Campy cranks and was thinking of using one of these on my otherwise Shimano bike.

Johny
12-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Hi Johny -- A couple of questions about the new Campy compacts in general. Is Centaur the first level where an aluminum crank is available? Any idea in the weight differences between Centaur and Chorus or Record? I'm planning on doing the 6 Gap ride next year and want to use a compact drive and like the new Campy cranks and was thinking of using one of these on my otherwise Shimano bike.

Hi Keith,

Yes, Centaur is the first level aluminum crank in 2007. I have one set in my hands and it looks pretty nice.

Weight difference: I don't know (I don't have digital scales). If you check www.campagnolo.com, you probably could get some numbers from there. Record should be the lightest due to the use of carbon and hollow crank arms.
I hope this helps.

John

T-Crush
12-08-2006, 10:01 AM
According to the competitive cyclist web site, the weight difference is 182 grams. The price difference is even better; Record is around $600 while the Centaur is $190. I've got one of the Centaur Ultra Torque compacts and it's a very nice crank. The Record BB cups (they don't make any other level at the moment) are a thing of beauty!

Keith A
12-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the info and sorry about hijacking your thread. I went to the Campy website and the Centaur is a sweet looking crankset! Here is their normal one (I couldn't find a picture of the compact one yet)...

http://www.campagnolo.com/pics/CEN_Crankset.jpg

Johny
12-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the info and sorry about hijacking your thread. I went to the Campy website and the Centaur is a sweet looking crankset! Here is their normal one (I couldn't find a picture of the compact one yet)...

No Hijacking!!! (I'm just kidding and I Don't think it is hijacking but bumping)

Keith, the picture is, most likely from a standard (53/39) crank. The compact cranks look a bit different -- the spider arms are shorter. A compact picture: http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/manufacturer/campagnolo/fcc7_centaur40.html

Johny
12-08-2006, 10:25 AM
According to the competitive cyclist web site, the weight difference is 182 grams. The price difference is even better; Record is around $600 while the Centaur is $190. I've got one of the Centaur Ultra Torque compacts and it's a very nice crank. The Record BB cups (they don't make any other level at the moment) are a thing of beauty!

Similar compact crank info from totalcycling.com: Record (643 g) vs. Centaur (828 g) -- the weight difference is 185 g (around 4/10 pounds).

Hey don't forget my price is $450, NOT $600. :)

Tom Byrnes
12-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi Johny,

I have sent you an email and PM. Thanks.

Tom

Johny
12-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi Johny,

I have sent you an email and PM. Thanks.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Please check your email. Thanks.

John

Serotta PETE
12-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Johnny, did TOM beat me to this????? PETE (we are the same size and he is QUICK!!!!)

Johny
12-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Johnny, did TOM beat me to this????? PETE (we are the same size and he is QUICK!!!!)

Hey Pete, we all know Tom is Quick. :)

Johny
12-08-2006, 01:05 PM

Keith, one thing with the Centaur cranks is that they are not as polished as the old Record aluminum cranks -- inner face of Centaur crank arms is NOT polished (to save money I guess).

hokoman
12-08-2006, 03:03 PM
so are the cranks sold? i would like to buy and then sell my 170's with regular 53-39 rings. i just got them (never installed) but was thinking i wanted to give compact a try.... wait, i would need a new ft. der wouldn't i?

Johny
12-08-2006, 03:37 PM
so are the cranks sold? i would like to buy and then sell my 170's with regular 53-39 rings. i just got them (never installed) but was thinking i wanted to give compact a try.... wait, i would need a new ft. der wouldn't i?

Yes. It was sold.

You don't really need a new fd. A standard fd works well with compact cranks (my two bikes have such set-up) -- you just need to set it up correctly.

Keith A
12-10-2006, 06:35 AM
Keith, one thing with the Centaur cranks is that they are not as polished as the old Record aluminum cranks -- inner face of Centaur crank arms is NOT polished (to save money I guess).Thanks for the info -- so are does their finish look as good as the 9-speed Dura-Ace cranks?

Johny
12-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the info -- so are does their finish look as good as the 9-speed Dura-Ace cranks?

Keith, a simple answer is yes because I like 2007 Centaur cranks. However, overall, DA 9 cranks are better polished on their crank arms ins and outs. As you know, DA's chain-rings are coated, looking dull so do Campy Record's. Centaur's chain-rings are polished (coating is more expensive I guess) -- just like older Campy Record's rings before the "EPS" coating era.

Keith A
12-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks again Johny!