PDA

View Full Version : How am I supposed to flip into Campagnolo Triomphe pedals? (Obsolete cycling tech con

mt2u77
05-30-2019, 12:15 PM
I think I know the answer— put my modern pedals back on, or buy some with flip tabs — but these Campagnolo 905 / Triomphe pedals hang completely upside down and are smooth on the bottom with no provision for a flip tab:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190530/93ba45616186135391f652e56f869d2c.jpg

Any tips?

My ideas are:
- add a homemade tab of some type (a big zip tie around the middle or bond something on- ugly)
- change the balance so they hang toe down (lighten the straps, add weight to toe)
- increase the bearing preload so they don’t spin so freely.

I spent like 3 hours rehabbing these things from the bottom of the ocean (apparently), and dang nabbit, I’m gonna ride them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtakeda
05-30-2019, 12:17 PM
You’ll get used to it.

I had those same pedals and with practice you’ll slip right in

mt2u77
05-30-2019, 12:21 PM
I hope so. Maybe I need to find the right shoes. I felt like I couldn’t find any edges to grab, especially on fixed gear as it’s going round and round. I was quite a vision this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tickdoc
05-30-2019, 12:34 PM
Ha! Haven’t tried that in a while, but it is just like riding a bike.:)

Shame you don’t have these dookickeys:

http://sscycleworks.com/images/components-sale/pedals/campagnolo/campagnolo-record-1037-steel-top-01.jpg

fiamme red
05-30-2019, 12:37 PM
I used those pedals with sneakers. It gets easier with practice.

Just don't let Campagnolo toe clips drag on the ground. They are pretty fragile.

19wisconsin64
05-30-2019, 02:30 PM
Great pedals...when used with flat bottom sneakers or flexible "touring" shoes. You'll get used to flipping them around...it's not easy, you are not exaggerating!
Noticed you have them on a Campy Record Pista (C Record Originally) crankset..nice!
At one point I stuck skateboard grip tape to the edges to help solve the problem. That lasted half a ride.
While they are tough to get into they are also one of the best looking / most sculpted / artistic looking pedals ever produced. They are Italian, so the C Record Era groupset designers may have some subtle Umberto Boccioni influences in their more stylized components, like the enclosed C Record first generation rear derailleur.
Mid 80's Italian components are great! Hope you find a way to work it out with them. They also had originally soft nylon straps, which made tightening them a little easier.

Hindmost
05-30-2019, 02:58 PM
Aluminum toe clip? If steel toe clips were an alternative I wonder if they would hang a little better.

mt2u77
05-30-2019, 03:32 PM
Great pedals...when used with flat bottom sneakers or flexible "touring" shoes. You'll get used to flipping them around...it's not easy, you are not exaggerating!
Noticed you have them on a Campy Record Pista (C Record Originally) crankset..nice!
At one point I stuck skateboard grip tape to the edges to help solve the problem. That lasted half a ride.
While they are tough to get into they are also one of the best looking / most sculpted / artistic looking pedals ever produced. They are Italian, so the C Record Era groupset designers may have some subtle Umberto Boccioni influences in their more stylized components, like the enclosed C Record first generation rear derailleur.
Mid 80's Italian components are great! Hope you find a way to work it out with them. They also had originally soft nylon straps, which made tightening them a little easier.

I just tried them with different shoes and it went much better. The DS pedal was much easier-- I'm guessing my left foot just isn't as coordinated.

I was drawn to the near match with the Record Pista cranks while simultaneously allowing use with regular shoes. This example will never be in a showroom but the bearings were still smooth as butter after a cleaning and repack. I love that the service was basically identical to a cup and cone wheel.

Here's the complete bike with placeholder wheels. Wisconsin steel, Italian components is the theme. :)

mt2u77
05-30-2019, 03:43 PM
Aluminum toe clip? If steel toe clips were an alternative I wonder if they would hang a little better.

They're steel. Trust me, I spent an inordinate amount of time removing rust from them and making them semi-presentable. I should have just bought new ones, but it's that Campy badge that makes otherwise reasonable people do stupid things.

After trying them with softer rubber shoes, I think I'll get used to them with a few minor tweaks. A set of lighter/original straps might be all it needs