PDA

View Full Version : Coming to a ride near you?

oldpotatoe
05-30-2019, 07:15 AM
https://www.velonews.com/2019/05/gravel/worldtour-pros-will-race-to-win-at-dirty-kanza-200_494307

Any 'pros' gonna line up at Ride the Rockies or Tour of Colorado?

:)

R3awak3n
05-30-2019, 07:26 AM
Makes sense I guess. Gravel is the new - old - big thing now so they want to sell bikes so put the bikes in these races with the best athletes, they will win it and they can say this trek gravel bike won the dirty kanza.

This years DK is looking pretty crazy... Wondering how long till it gets tv coverage :eek:

oldpotatoe
05-30-2019, 07:42 AM
Makes sense I guess. Gravel is the new - old - big thing now so they want to sell bikes so put the bikes in these races with the best athletes, they will win it and they can say this trek gravel bike won the dirty kanza.

This years DK is looking pretty crazy... Wondering how long till it gets tv coverage :eek:

Yup, doubt this was entirely the rider's idea..bet there is some 'compensation' from Trek for this..

saab2000
05-30-2019, 07:46 AM
Seems like a great way to ruin grassroots events. Not to be a debbie downer but I'm not sure I like it.

These events seem to have evolved in part to escape the elitist mentality of organized road racing. Bringing in pro road racers spoils it IMHO. And I say that coming from a background of road racing many years ago.

fignon's barber
05-30-2019, 08:00 AM
https://www.velonews.com/2019/05/gravel/worldtour-pros-will-race-to-win-at-dirty-kanza-200_494307

Any 'pros' gonna line up at Ride the Rockies or Tour of Colorado?

:)

In a thread on here a few months ago I mocked guys like Vaughters for saying that the only way to save pro cycling is to send their squads to amateur gravel events and fondos to beat up on weekend warriors and hobbyists. I mean, the pros have 200+ events to do something (some with zero results and even showing zero interest). Do they need to steal a placing from a guy who works a full time job and kills himself after work in order to set a DK goal of, say, a top 100 result? I look negatively upon the sponsors who put pros in these events thinking it's a big marketing gain.

saab2000
05-30-2019, 08:05 AM
In a thread on here a few months ago I mocked guys like Vaughters for saying that the only way to save pro cycling is to send their squads to amateur gravel events and fondos to beat up on weekend warriors and hobbyists. I mean, the pros have 200+ events to do something (some with zero results and even showing zero interest). Do they need to steal a placing from a guy who works a full time job and kills himself after work in order to set a DK goal of, say, a top 100 result? I look negatively upon the sponsors who put pros in these events thinking it's a big marketing gain.

Agree 100%.

oldpotatoe
05-30-2019, 08:07 AM

My point and I agree....These pros can make all the comments they want about how 'tough' the competition is, these WE warriors but.."when I have a number on my back, I'm there to win"..BS I say......

AJosiahK
05-30-2019, 08:13 AM
Seems like a great way to ruin grassroots events. Not to be a debbie downer but I'm not sure I like it.

These events seem to have evolved in part to escape the elitist mentality of organized road racing. Bringing in pro road racers spoils it IMHO. And I say that coming from a background of road racing many years ago.

I feel the same way. These events weren't originally founded to sell bikes, but to ride them in awesome places with great people ( friends ).

Cool to get to line up next to some pros yes ..

If yall have seen Ted Kings Road to Kanza ... thats the kind of stuff i can really get into. Plus TK is a wonderful human

KJMUNC
05-30-2019, 08:32 AM
Ted King and other formally retired pros racing is one thing, but existing pros? C'mon.....this sounds a lot more like US-based guys who don't want to spend the entire year in Europe and would rather stay home and ride these amateur events.

old fat man
05-30-2019, 08:38 AM
I don't begrudge the pros themselves for wanting to ride/race DK and similar events but I do disagree with the race organizers and their teams for allowing it.

If the pros want to do something like this, make a pro only version on their own day or start time.

FlashUNC
05-30-2019, 09:14 AM
The pro only version exists. Once the gun goes off those guys are gone and the plebs never see them again until the beer tent.

Anyone who thinks this discourages the weekend warrior from their participation medal is tilting at windmills. If anything if encourages them. Want to race in the same race as Peter Stentina? Now's your chance.

saab2000
05-30-2019, 09:22 AM
The pro only version exists. Once the gun goes off those guys are gone and the plebs never see them again until the beer tent.

Anyone who thinks this discourages the weekend warrior from their participation medal is tilting at windmills. If anything if encourages them. Want to race in the same race as Peter Stentina? Now's your chance.

Having raced (in a different lifetime it seems) in races with pro racers I can assure anyone who is interested that I could not care less about it. They're folks just like anyone else.

An interesting parallel is when guys like Greg Lemond or Bob Roll used to ride the Fat Tire 40 in Wisconsin. Or when Lance Armstrong would ride the Leadville 100. George Hincapie rode the Grand Rapids Grand Fondo last year with his son. Good for them!

I have zero issue with pros riding these events because they like them. In fact, I think it's great. I'm less keen on Pro Tour teams saying these are events they are targeting. That seems like shooting fish in a barrel. A bit like Steph Curry or Lebron heading down to the park for a shoot around with the local hotshot ballers just to feed their own egos.

Totally tangential but funny and kind of what we're talking about..... Carry on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DnKOc6FISU

wildboar
05-30-2019, 09:43 AM
I just epoxied 3 gallons of gravel onto my old Kreitler rollers so I can get ready for this.

FlashUNC
05-30-2019, 10:00 AM
Having raced (in a different lifetime it seems) in races with pro racers I can assure anyone who is interested that I could not care less about it. They're folks just like anyone else.

An interesting parallel is when guys like Greg Lemond or Bob Roll used to ride the Fat Tire 40 in Wisconsin. Or when Lance Armstrong would ride the Leadville 100. George Hincapie rode the Grand Rapids Grand Fondo last year with his son. Good for them!

I have zero issue with pros riding these events because they like them. In fact, I think it's great. I'm less keen on Pro Tour teams saying these are events they are targeting. That seems like shooting fish in a barrel. A bit like Steph Curry or Lebron heading down to the park for a shoot around with the local hotshot ballers just to feed their own egos.

Totally tangential but funny and kind of what we're talking about..... Carry on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DnKOc6FISU

Dirty Kanza is a race. BWR is a race. Leadville is a race. There's a winner at the end of the thing. They ain't your typical cookie or MS ride.

If this kind of thing is the first step in an organic movement that encourages a diverse and interesting one-day race calendar in the US that isn't hide bound to the UCI, and pro teams are interested in participating, I'm all for it. This ain't going down to the local playground, especially if you've got multiple domestic and World Tour pros latching onto them and participating. Pro teams gotta get sponsors their ROI somehow.

I am baffled how this is seen as a negative for the sport when its, yanno, dying by doing the same things it's always done. Unless having pros at DK and other places reminds us mortals that we are, in fact, not that fast.

MattTuck
05-30-2019, 10:01 AM
I just epoxied 3 gallons of gravel onto my old Kreitler rollers so I can get ready for this.

POTD.

As far as it being a grass roots event... it may have had amateur beginnings, but if you're drawing 1000+ riders to an event in Kansas, with a title sponsor like Garmin, pretty sure it has transcended that label and is a full on professionally produced race.

cageybee
05-30-2019, 10:11 AM
I can understand the resentment of some who feel the DK and other similar events are “their” race, but really, what’s the harm? DK can resolve this simply by having multi-classifications, e.g. UCI, pro level, Cats 1-5 and gran fondo, For mortals like me, I’m simply be happy to complete DK in one piece and wouldn’t care if some pro had downed his beers and gone home by the time I crossed the finish line. Then again, for me, participating in these events is about doing my best, not competing for a podium spot.

saab2000
05-30-2019, 10:18 AM
I can see both sides of it and being a non-participant I have no stake in any of this.

I did go with a friend to Barry-Roubaix this year. He rode and I spectated. It’s a similar grass roots event but it’s getting very big and well run.

The point about big sponsors getting an ROI is well taken.

It’s all good but I want photos of when Sagan shows up at Flash’s favorite ride!

FlashUNC
05-30-2019, 10:22 AM
I can see both sides of it and being a non-participant I have no stake in any of this.

I did go with a friend to Barry-Roubaix this year. He rode and I spectated. It’s a similar grass roots event but it’s getting very big and well run.

The point about big sponsors getting an ROI is well taken.

It’s all good but I want photos of when Sagan shows up at Flash’s favorite ride!

I've already booed the man to his face at AToC. He looked confused. But he also generally looks confused.

FlashUNC
06-03-2019, 10:46 AM
And shock of shocks, the Dirty Kanza winner this year wasn't a World Tour rider.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/06/gravel/colin-strickland-wins-dirty-kanza-200-with-daring-breakaway_494437

soulspinner
06-04-2019, 07:44 AM
And shock of shocks, the Dirty Kanza winner this year wasn't a World Tour rider.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/06/gravel/colin-strickland-wins-dirty-kanza-200-with-daring-breakaway_494437

:hello::hello::hello:

dpdan93
06-04-2019, 07:52 AM
I think some of these dudes just wanna ride their bikes to be fair. I would love to do an event where I could possibly share a beer with Morton or Phinney...

djm
06-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Dirty Kanza is a race. BWR is a race. Leadville is a race. There's a winner at the end of the thing. They ain't your typical cookie or MS ride.
Dirty Kanza is also a business. Life Time Fitness (owner of the Leadville 100, New York City Triathlon, Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival, etc.) bought it last year for an amount allegedly in the low seven figures (https://www.velonews.com/2019/05/from-the-mag/gravels-big-year-dirty-kanzas-sale-big-cash-in-colorado-and-worldtour-participation_494267).

FlashUNC
06-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Dirty Kanza is also a business. Life Time Fitness (owner of the Leadville 100, New York City Triathlon, Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival, etc.) bought it last year for an amount allegedly in the low seven figures (https://www.velonews.com/2019/05/from-the-mag/gravels-big-year-dirty-kanzas-sale-big-cash-in-colorado-and-worldtour-participation_494267).

Given the expansion we've seen of the event with various distances, no doubt about that. DK is in the business of selling the story.

old fat man
06-04-2019, 12:30 PM
I think some of these dudes just wanna ride their bikes to be fair. I would love to do an event where I could possibly share a beer with Morton or Phinney...

Rapha set up a whopping 30 minutes for fans to come meet their riders. They're not there to socialize and have a beer with you.

dpdan93
06-04-2019, 12:49 PM
Rapha set up a whopping 30 minutes for fans to come meet their riders. They're not there to socialize and have a beer with you.

well I guess that's the deal when it comes to sponsorships, it is what it is. Cannondale probably sold a lot of people on gravel/adventure bikes this weekend and that's their goal. I get people are worried about "ruining" their grassroots events but if I show up to an event with some pros I wouldn't exactly mind.

MattTuck
06-04-2019, 01:12 PM
There are an awful lot of gravel roads around this country. If all it takes to start a race is a few pizzas and some creativity for creating a good route, then I don't think we'll see the death of grass roots racing.

Jaybee
06-04-2019, 01:22 PM
If I were racing for a podium spot and didn't have teammates and felt like a ProTour team used tactics against me, I'd be a little peeved. Then again, even an amateur team could do this and I think this has been a discussion before in the serious gravel racer crowd.

redir
06-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Nah, without long team car water bottle hand out pushes they got no chance. :banana:

BRad704
06-04-2019, 01:38 PM
If I were racing for a podium spot and didn't have teammates and felt like a ProTour team used tactics against me, I'd be a little peeved. Then again, even an amateur team could do this and I think this has been a discussion before in the serious gravel racer crowd.

That's pretty much my take as well.

Having big names at an event only serves to increase my level of Cat 4 stoke, even if I'm not getting a 1-on-1 yoga sesh with Taylor Phinney. :banana:

FlashUNC
06-04-2019, 02:05 PM

I wonder how much it breaks down without deeper infrastructure though (team cars, multiple riders and team, etc). Two World Tour teams had more than one rider at the tip of the spear when the winning solo break went with 95 miles (!!!) to go. Didn't manage to reel him in.

BubbleWrap
06-04-2019, 02:12 PM
There are an awful lot of gravel roads around this country. If all it takes to start a race is a few pizzas and some creativity for creating a good route, then I don't think we'll see the death of grass roots racing.

Exactly! If you put it on bikereg, they will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbill
06-04-2019, 02:25 PM
The Spinistry group in Texas is a good example of grass roots gravel racing. I did events that had two dozen riders to the Chain Ring Massacre that featured L*nce and about 600 other riders. Each event got bigger but not unwieldy. The vast majority of the participants were there to ride, not race. And the riders that show up are unlike the normal participants in organized events in that they're ready to ride unsupported. They show up on bikes ready to ride and know what they're doing. The only support is water tables where you can fill up. Sometimes the organizer is feeling generous and puts out some cheese crackers.

dpdan93
06-04-2019, 02:37 PM
There’s an event every single weekend. I think people can calm down a little about losing “their” events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattTuck
06-04-2019, 06:27 PM
DK Gallery of Bikes/Equipment choices (http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/dirty-kanza-2019-gravel-race-tech-gallery/)

I hadn't realized people were riding such knobby tires. 200 miles on those must be that much more difficult than your 'typical' 200 mile ride.

Also, (sort of) surprised that Cannondale's riders were all riding CX machines, when they have a line of (supposedly) dedicated gravel bikes.

batman1425
06-04-2019, 06:46 PM
Also, (sort of) surprised that Cannondale's riders were all riding CX machines, when they have a line of (supposedly) dedicated gravel bikes.

I suspect this is because the topstone only comes in aluminum and a commensurate SuperX will be substantially lighter. The course negates the downsides of CX vs. gravel geometry.

rwsaunders
06-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Egads...King road a leather (Berthoud) saddle and tires from Jan Heine!

BRad704
06-05-2019, 02:42 PM
Because this thread probably already contains the only people who care about this... Allied blogged some details about Strickland's bike...

https://hbnarratives.alliedcycleworks.com/colin-stricklands-winning-dirty-kanza-able/?fbclid=IwAR3YQYoLDQJmXx1m_p6TrbVfChEW-1Pj8rNK99hXqj1q5PKLgPTiSehgEpM

cloudguy
06-05-2019, 07:13 PM
Because this thread probably already contains the only people who care about this... Allied blogged some details about Strickland's bike...

https://hbnarratives.alliedcycleworks.com/colin-stricklands-winning-dirty-kanza-able/?fbclid=IwAR3YQYoLDQJmXx1m_p6TrbVfChEW-1Pj8rNK99hXqj1q5PKLgPTiSehgEpM

What's the sales pitch on the elevated chain stay?

R3awak3n
06-05-2019, 07:31 PM

won both DK200 men and women, you too can win with this kinda ugly but winning bike

Hellgate
06-05-2019, 08:07 PM

https://hbnarratives.alliedcycleworks.com/colin-stricklands-winning-dirty-kanza-able/?fbclid=IwAR3YQYoLDQJmXx1m_p6TrbVfChEW-1Pj8rNK99hXqj1q5PKLgPTiSehgEpMThere's some serious Nishiki Alien going on there...

BRad704
06-05-2019, 08:12 PM

I THINK it allows for larger tire clearance while using a mid sized single front ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro