PDA

View Full Version : Ortlieb, Rapha, or?

madsciencenow
05-30-2019, 07:04 AM
Has anyone tried the Ortlieb or Rapha handlebar bag/pack or seat pack? BT Direct has Ortlieb on sale right now which got me looking into these bags and comparing to Rapha. There seems to be some differences in capacity but both seem well reviewed and well made from what I can see. However, I wonder how they hold up and or handle when they are on the bike?

For those of you who have tried an handlebar bag I'm wondering how cumbersome it makes the front end of your bike? If I'm only going to be riding with one bad is the handlebar bag preferred over the seat pack or visa versa?

R3awak3n
05-30-2019, 07:23 AM
I much prefer the weight on my handlebars than on the back swinging all over the place so I would say if only 1 go for handlebar. I also prefer the bags that are harnesses instead of a bag that has to stay you the bike to get your stuff in and out, becomes really annoying. I like the harnesses that have dry bags, you just take your dry bag out of the harness, do what you need and then when you are right to roll just put it back on the harness. Many companies make these, revelate, topeak, ect.

dieonthishill
05-30-2019, 07:25 AM
The Rapha handlebar bag is very nice - love mine.

redir
05-30-2019, 08:56 AM
I have ridden with a bar bag before and don't think it's really too obstructive. As for Ortlieb, I got a set of panniers and hardly ever used them when I noticed that the fabric was torn right where the mounting points are. So that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Hilltopperny
05-30-2019, 09:12 AM
I have been using roadrunner burrito supremes ever since purchasing them a few years ago. Excellent quality bar bag that fits plenty of stuff for my all day rides. I prefer it to any of the other bar bags I've used and the saddle bags as well. Haven't tried the Rapha or Ortlieb bags, but I definitely recommend Roadrunner bags.
It also has a strap that keeps it tucked so I can still use the tops of my bars without obstructing my hand positions.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190530/a7fea8c1d11ca697846198013cac8d99.jpg

cgolvin
05-30-2019, 10:34 AM
I have one of the older Rapha bar bags (larger than the just-released ones). I agree with R3awak3n, if choosing just one bag I prefer bar but it depends on the application -- seat is better if it's overnight and you need extra clothing, bar is better for an extended day ride to unload jersey pockets. Both, however, change the feel of the bike a bit, the change from a big seat bag (e.g., Apidura) is more noticeable. I find it hard to use the tops with the bar bag, can't use my normal hand position and usually find myself spending more time on the hoods than usual.

fiamme red
05-30-2019, 10:42 AM
I have two Ortlieb large saddle bags. I highly recommend them. They don't sway or wiggle when loaded.

Kirk007
05-30-2019, 12:42 PM
I have the older Rapha by Apidura bag, a roadrunner burrito bag and a Ornot handlebar bag. The roadrunner is small and unobtrusive but limited capacity also limits it's usefulness. The Ornot road on the bars of my Peg Marcelo through Provence, Maritime Alps, Italian Alps and Dolomites last summer. Very handy when you are in environments with changing weather conditions and limited support (note: I really don't like overstuffed rear jersey pockets). The Rapha bag is barely used. It has tremendous capacity and is reasonably waterproof but the rollbag style (no top opening) limits its usefulness. I've also had an Orlieb handlebar bag with quick release attachment. Handy for commuting but too bulky and too much interference with hand positions for my taste.

DarkStar
05-30-2019, 05:59 PM
I have two Ortlieb large saddle bags. I highly recommend them. They don't sway or wiggle when loaded.
I 2nd that, very well made saddle bags.