PDA

View Full Version : Tommasini Super Prestige value?

redearedslider5
05-29-2019, 11:28 AM
I've finally decided to part ways with my Tommasini. I didn't want to deal with shipping it etc. so I took it over to Pro's Closet and they said they not only didn't want to buy it but it'd only be worth $350 on craigslist. I've been out of the game for a few years now but that valuation strikes me as absolutely absurd.

Here's a link to a CL post I just put up, would you guys say my valuation is way off?

https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/d/boulder-tommasini-super-prestige/6899967969.html

Big Dan
05-29-2019, 12:05 PM
I think you are high.

Steve in SLO
05-29-2019, 12:08 PM
I’ve been watching Tommasini prices for the last six months or so and although your bike is beautiful, I think $700-$800 is a more reasonable starting point given the market and it’s general condition. Pros Closet is being pretty conservative, IMHO.

redearedslider5
05-29-2019, 12:16 PM
700 or 800 for the complete bike? Wow, I think I paid around there for just the frame and fork several years ago.

Spaghetti Legs
05-29-2019, 12:38 PM
The bottom has dropped out of the vintage steel market. 5 years ago, your very nice bike would have sold pretty easily for $1200, but now I think you”ll be lucky to get $900-1000 for it. I have a Tommasini frame that has languished here and another site at $500.

At $1200 I think your bike is way better than the equivalent priced new bike, but unfortunately, not many folks out there think the same. BTW think of Pros Closet like you would a car dealer in a trade in. My guess is they would list it on eBay for around 900-1000. Sounds like they’re fishing for a really low ball offer or they’re getting out of selling vintage bikes.

old_fat_and_slow
05-29-2019, 12:41 PM
IMHO, $350 for the complete bike is absurdly low.

You can look on ebay for similar bikes of that vintage with 9-speed Chorus and see what they've been selling for.

Just leave it on the market at the price you want for it, and see what happens. If it doesn't sell, and you decide you really want to move it, then lower the price.

Good luck. It's a nice bike with decent components.

jtakeda
05-29-2019, 12:45 PM
I’ve been watching Tommasini prices for the last six months or so and although your bike is beautiful, I think $700-$800 is a more reasonable starting point given the market and it’s general condition. Pros Closet is being pretty conservative, IMHO.

I think this is a fair valuation. Although for Craigslist I would say 500-700.

If you were selling online and willing to ship 700-800 sounds about right.

andrew+
05-29-2019, 12:50 PM
The bottom has dropped out of the vintage steel market. 5 years ago, your very nice bike would have sold pretty easily for $1200, but now I think you”ll be lucky to get $900-1000 for it. I have a Tommasini frame that has languished here and another site at $500.

Agreed that currently this is a ~$1000 bike.

Your frame is a repaint and a large size to boot, though, so not really indicative of the market IMO.

redearedslider5
05-29-2019, 12:58 PM
how do you know it's a repaint?

cgolvin
05-29-2019, 12:59 PM
I think you are high.

But what do you think of his pricing? :fight:

andrew+
05-29-2019, 01:23 PM
how do you know it's a repaint?

I'm referring to Spaghetti Legs's Tommasini. I know it's a repaint because I've seen his description of that bike. Only mentioning this because I believe the market is very biased against repaints.

ravdg316
05-29-2019, 01:28 PM
A part out could get you $1200 ($300-400 for the group and wheels, 700 for the frame, 100-200 for finishing kit sold separately) but that’s with more of your labor disassembling and shipping. How much is your time worth? A buyer taking the whole thing is saving you time and $$, and will expect an appropriate discount even if they don’t articulate this as the reason.

ultraman6970
05-29-2019, 04:24 PM
IMO that bike needs to be parted out, because as a whole do not think will bring the asking price... what the OP can do is to add something like... "OBO or make me an offer" but right out of the bat in CL those numbers are tad off IMO, but you never know, if you get no hits in a week you know already whats the issue.

CL buyers are looking for deals, as simple as that... thats the reason I would suggest (and others too) to sell it in parts.

Like 500+ in that frame will sell quick... more than that will stall for a while unless somebody wants one badly...

Like 250 ish in the group, i would do like 350 including wheels and call it a day.

IMHO, that saddle needs to be sold as a separate item, maybe just put another saddle in there you have moving around and set it up maybe all the way back so the bike gets a really nice racy looking.

You have nice bike in the OP, im sure if you offer to ship the frame more than somebody here will jump right at it.

The pros closet makes sense they did not want the bike, they need to make money out of it and you have to be willing to get shaffed by them. IN a matter of fact if you look at their listings, they got some appraisals wrong and you can tell because they still stuff being listed there forever. So probably now they are being more careful and thats could explain somethings.

jet sanchez
05-29-2019, 05:09 PM
That rear rim is toast.

I'd put the frame/fork/headset up for $500 and see what happens.

charliedid
05-29-2019, 05:19 PM
But what do you think of his pricing? :fight:

LOL

I'd have to knock off $750 due to the "loose drive axle"

Bikes

Tommasini53
05-29-2019, 08:39 PM
I've finally decided to part ways with my Tommasini. I didn't want to deal with shipping it etc. so I took it over to Pro's Closet and they said they not only didn't want to buy it but it'd only be worth $350 on craigslist. I've been out of the game for a few years now but that valuation strikes me as absolutely absurd.

Here's a link to a CL post I just put up, would you guys say my valuation is way off?

https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/d/boulder-tommasini-super-prestige/6899967969.html

Tommasini's are beautiful frames. One suggestion...sell the parts on ebay, clean and wax the frame and make it wall art. I had a Techno Extra that I sold, I do wish that I had kept it to display.

pbarry
05-29-2019, 09:33 PM

Sell frame and fork, group, and wheels seperately on ebay and you might get your money.

Polyglot
05-29-2019, 09:44 PM
You need to be honest with yourself when selling bikes. What makes this bike extra special, enough to make somebody want to buy it immediately so that it doesn't get lost to somebody else? As best as I can tell there isn't anything to separate it from many many other bikes that are being sold right now. Now compare your bike to others and are there things that can turn people off? There are many many things that will immediately sour potential buyers: The Thompson "no setback" seat post is one that immediately stands out, that is further accentuated by the fact that you have a Brooks saddle fitted. Both of these elements are things that have more detractors than there are admirers, so by having not only one but the two elements, you have already cut your potential buyers in half. You would be far better off with a cheap plastic saddle than the Brooks for potential sales, the same goes for a seat post with setback. Now look at the rest of the components. Chorus are the thinking cyclist's choice of components for their personal bike but collectors want the top of the line components. To have anything less than what the pros used back in the day and the collectors will not be attracted. So you are therefore looking to attract people who are out for a bargain, or somebody who wants to jump right on and ride away. Well, how is that possible when your rear rim is quite possibly in need of replacement, your BB and rear hub might quite likely need to be replaced because they have been used when incorrectly adjusted. Even if the current average price level for a bike with the pedigree of this Tommasini may be around $1000, this particular one will not come close in my opinion.

cmg
05-29-2019, 10:23 PM
to get that amount you'll have to sell on eBay. be descriptive on the geometry, top tube lenght, head tube lenght, seat tube lenght, talk about your size. give the buyer something to compare themselves to. set the saddle 4 cm above the bars (racer look), use a set back post if you have one, roll the bars so that drops are horizontal. lots of luck.

shoota
05-30-2019, 10:45 AM

I'm trying to sell a Super Prestige too and it's not going for what I thought it would be. It's currently at $1100. If it were a 58x58 like yours I'd keep it. Wanna trade?

redearedslider5
05-30-2019, 10:50 AM
haha, i'm all set. thankfully i'm not pressed for cash or space at the moment so it can sit looking pretty for a good long while. suppose i should throw it into the classifieds just for posterity.