PDA

View Full Version : Vbrake on a 700cc HEDdisc rim?

canadasteep
05-27-2019, 07:47 PM
There's a local HED disc wheelset,
Wondering what are the consequences of using it on my commuter with V-brakes?
Saving on shipping and getting my project done would be great

Gummee
05-27-2019, 08:35 PM
It *looks* like there's a brake track, but best to contact HED to make sure

M

Jaybee
05-27-2019, 08:51 PM
I second the “call HED” advice- the flat track where a brake track should go might fit your pads, but it probably isn’t reinforced with extra material if it’s a disc specific rim.

My guess is that v-brake would be fine for a very limited time, then it would trash your rim.

dddd
05-27-2019, 09:01 PM
It would be cool if the disc rim used the same extrusion as a similar rim-brake version of the rim, only without the sidewall machining.

On the other hand, the extrusion itself might be disc-specific, or a common extrusion might be machined thinner when targeted for disc applications, so in either case the sidewall service life would be just about non-existent using rim brakes.

pbarry
05-27-2019, 09:06 PM
Don't do it. HED will say the same.

Cicli
05-27-2019, 09:11 PM
I wouldn’t do it.
Been away for a bit. What is a 700cc rim?

jtbadge
05-27-2019, 09:14 PM
If the wheels have disc hubs, the 135mm rear (let alone thru axle) likely won’t even fit your dropouts.

yinzerniner
05-27-2019, 09:39 PM
There's a local HED disc wheelset,
Wondering what are the consequences of using it on my commuter with V-brakes?
Saving on shipping and getting my project done would be great

Will reiterate what all the others have said - don't do it.

The pic looks like a disc Ardennes wheelset, which uses the Belgium rim. Best case scenario, the track will wear with no indicators to tell you when they should be replaced. Worst case scenario, the slightly different extrusion weakens the rim just enough at the brake track area that it's unsafe to operate from the get go.

Not to mention you'd need to remove the paint off the brake track area before using it at all.

If you really want a set of HED rim brake wheels you can source them pretty easily.