PDA

View Full Version : Pacenti Forza Wheelset Experience?

brewsmith
05-27-2019, 10:40 AM
Another question for the Hampsten upgrade project.

Looking for a durable, wide and light(ish) set of wheels that won't break the bank, I came across the Pacenti Forza Wheelset (https://pacenticycledesign.com/collections/wheels-aluminium/products/forza-wheel-set-rim-brake-700c) which seems to tick all the boxes. Has anyone used these that can report on their experience? I have a set of thier 650b brevet wheels that I really like, so I was curious if the build and hub quality on these was similar. Thanks all!

saab2000
05-27-2019, 11:35 AM
I don't have this wheel set so I can't comment on the build or the hubs, but I do like my Forza rims. They were built into a set about 2 years ago by Eric (Ergott) and have been great. I, like most folks, think the wide rims are the way to go. I run mine with 25mm Vittoria Open CX clinchers and they spread out to be quite voluminous and ride very nicely at 75 PSI or so at my weight.

These are likely extremely similar and the rim of course is identical. I'm a fan of the offset rear wheel.

I think for this price it's hard to go wrong.

charliedid
05-27-2019, 11:41 AM
I bought a set on impulse for some reason last year. So far so good however I don't love the King-like hub sound. They set up nice with a 25mm tire for sure.

Solid set for the $ if you ask me.

We shall see how long/far they go.

Tony
05-27-2019, 12:12 PM
If those are the same hubs that were on my TL 28 wheelset I would pass.
I had to have the hub shell machined to accept the bearing properly, too much pressure on the bearings, wheel would not spin smoothly. I took it to two shops and both shops said the same thing, defective hub shell.

doomridesout
05-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Look at the Hunt wheels offerings- similar price, lower weight, get great reviews.

charliedid
05-27-2019, 02:43 PM
If those are the same hubs that were on my TL 28 wheelset I would pass.
I had to have the hub shell machined to accept the bearing properly, too much pressure on the bearings, wheel would not spin smoothly. I took it to two shops and both shops said the same thing, defective hub shell.

Sample variation? Mine spin for days.

Either way one is a road wheel the other is an ATB wheel so not the same hub.

brewsmith
05-27-2019, 02:50 PM
Yeah, the hubs are my main point of concern. It sounds like folks have had hit and miss experiences with the disc hubs, but not sure if that is specific to those and/or the issues have been addressed with the current wheels

saab2000
05-27-2019, 03:18 PM
Maybe have Eric or another builder lace up a set with the hubs of their choice?

It’ll cost a bit more but it’ll likely be worth it.

oldpotatoe
05-28-2019, 06:59 AM
Another question for the Hampsten upgrade project.

Looking for a durable, wide and light(ish) set of wheels that won't break the bank, I came across the Pacenti Forza Wheelset (https://pacenticycledesign.com/collections/wheels-aluminium/products/forza-wheel-set-rim-brake-700c) which seems to tick all the boxes. Has anyone used these that can report on their experience? I have a set of thier 650b brevet wheels that I really like, so I was curious if the build and hub quality on these was similar. Thanks all!

Bitex hubs laced to DT 460 rims using Sapim Race spokes...all black and you are local so no ship, $460.....