PDA

View Full Version : Campy UT BB bolt washer in pieces -- can you ride without it?

BobC
05-26-2019, 03:51 PM
Rode this AM & heard creaking. I checked the crank arms afterwards & there was some play.... so I started to take the crank bolt out & the washer comes out in 7 pieces!

1. Any risk riding tomorrow before I get home & replace it? (currently out of town & not planning on heading back until tomorrow afternoon)

2. Where in the heck can I get a replacement?

3. Anybody have this happen to them?

Scratching my head on this one.

Cheers, Bob

ultraman6970
05-26-2019, 05:45 PM
Hi are we talking about the wavy washer???????

Or are you talking about the washer that is the UT bolt that connect the two semi axles???

If the central washer is not there you might have to tight the bolt more or maybe go to home depot and find something that fits?

If what broke was the wavy washer i would be more concerned about how or why it happened, because i cant even think a way for the wavy washer to split in pieces besides folding in itself or something.

As for riding w/o the wavy washer? the crank will have play and will creak as hell IMO. Depending on the miles probably and due to the fact of the problem you got I would replace the cups for new ones since you need a wavy washer anyways. Check your bearings really well too.

YEs they sell wavy washers, you can get them in packs of 10 or individually.

Hope this helps/

BobC
05-26-2019, 08:14 PM
The UT bolt that connect the two crank arms.

Yeah I figure I'll have to go the hardware store.

Problem is that it is so many pieces that I cannot determine the right size.

Hindmost
05-26-2019, 08:28 PM
Take the bolt with you to the hardware store. Washers are sized based on the OD of the bolt shaft. Iirc, the washer is a special narrow type and may not be available at the DIY store.

I'd be tempted to reassemble without the washer and just use firm torque not full spec torque to get you through one ride.

ultraman6970
05-26-2019, 08:38 PM
If you dont find the right washer get the closest one and hope you have a dremel because you might need to dremel the washer a little.

7 pieces eh? cant even imagine how a washer can do that.

Good luck in home depot.

Shoeman
05-26-2019, 08:51 PM
Go to a real Hardware Store, Ace or True Value. Bring the bolt and one of the larger pieces for thickness reference.

kramnnim
05-26-2019, 08:53 PM
It is put on the bolt before the threads are rolled, and is trapped between the threads and the head. OD is the same diameter as the bolt head. (since it fits inside the spindle)

In other words, you're meant to replace the entire bolt/washer assembly. (Remember, red label SR cranks with titanium spindles use different bolts with left hand threads)

Highly doubt you'll find anything close at HD or Lowes. Maybe Fastenal can order something.

kramnnim
05-26-2019, 08:56 PM
Apparently some other brands of crank use the same size bolt? https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-L-M15-Titanium-Crankset-BB-Bolt-Screw-fit-CAMPAGNOLO-ULTRA-TORQUE-FC-RE007/122018036310

Dino SuegiĆ¹
05-26-2019, 09:28 PM
The Campagnolo part number is: Campagnolo FC-RE007 UT Fixing Bolt.
It is sold only as a set, bolt and washer together, and it looks like the lowest price is +/- $30. Maybe your LBS has a better price or just the washer.
http://www.cs-maverick.com/images/FC-RE007.jpghttp://www.gammelgarnverkstad.se/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/300x300/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/c/fc-re007a/Ultra-Torque-crankset-fixing-bolt-right-hand-thread.jpg

Some have a "stepped" head, like this below, but the piece is the same thing:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RAMAAOSw5PJbBGqJ/s-l640.jpg

I have read (not common though, but see here: https://forums.roadbikereview.com/campagnolo/ultra-torque-crank-bolt-washer-breaking-343399.html) of that washer being crushed before, most likely from over-torquing. Torque is 42Nm MIN/60Nm MAX. I only use U-T cranksets for years and have never experienced a damaged washer (nor the wavy washer) even after years of use and occasional un-install/re-install. Somebody must have really been brutal on that bolt.

I do not know if it is OK to ride without the washer, but I do know that I would not risk an entire U-T crankset on it.

It might be prudent to replace the entire kit, as above, but that is your decision. Check the bolt itself very carefully of course.

N.B.: as supplied by Campagnolo, the washer does not actually slide off of the bolt; it does not easily clear the threads. So if you want to try to find a replacement washer only at the hardware store make sure you bring the bolt with you so that you can find a proper fit.

For your reference, I just measured the washer on a U-T crankset I have here.
Washer Inside Diameter (very slightly smaller than the bolt threads): 14.25mm.
Bolt Threads Diameter: 14.45mm, so you will need a 14.45/14.50 ID washer.
Washer Outside Diameter (exactly the same as the bolt head): 19.65mm.
Washer Thickness: 1.55mm.
Bolt Fixing: Hex, 10mm.

lhuerta
05-26-2019, 09:31 PM
...u can assemble without the washer and u will b fine.

I rode a UT crank without the washer for hundreds of miles after I lost washer during reassembly. I ended up getting whole new bolt (with washer included) and when I disassembled the bolt w/out washer all was still torqued-up tight/firm.

BobC
05-27-2019, 06:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the info -- one of the reasons this forum is so great.

I'll be heading to the hardware store, perhaps I will be lucky. If not, I can order a new bolt/washer set.

Cheers, Bob