PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist killed in CT

pjbaz
05-25-2019, 09:54 PM
I was detoured today while out on a ride. I had no idea. Middle of a gorgeous day ... Be safe, friends. Be safe. https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Bicyclist-Seriously-Injured-in-Crash-in-Wallingford-510431101.html?fbclid=IwAR0Pj_H-Sw-OM-x8PdFLRJDFSUY5mkQQjPrqjL8cwNaj4kbYfIv2V9xNa50

nickl
05-25-2019, 10:21 PM
Over 20 years ago I lived mile or two from that location and rode by the exact spot thousands of times. Typically a fairly safe place to ride. Leaves me speechless but given the circumstances I’m not very surprised.

Matthew
05-25-2019, 10:34 PM
Terrible. Rip and condolences to family and friends.

Peter P.
05-26-2019, 05:10 AM
I live within 30 minutes by bike from there.

After the accident, I had a coworker and a cycling buddy call, just to see if I was involved.

I was touched by their concern and yeah; seeing as it is local it does wake you up.

When the reports mentioned the location, I tried to envision how a cyclist could be hit. A driver crossing the centerline was not a scenario in my mind.

buddybikes
05-26-2019, 06:54 AM
...don't worry he was released from custody, probably with his keys and all important cell phone :-(

makoti
05-26-2019, 07:01 AM
I was detoured today while out on a ride. I had no idea. Middle of a gorgeous day ... Be safe, friends. Be safe. https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Bicyclist-Seriously-Injured-in-Crash-in-Wallingford-510431101.html?fbclid=IwAR0Pj_H-Sw-OM-x8PdFLRJDFSUY5mkQQjPrqjL8cwNaj4kbYfIv2V9xNa50

This happened to me last weekend outside of DC. On a road with long site lines & common bike traffic. A driver harassing cyclists, spooked a rider, crash without apparent contact, rider in critical condition.

djg21
05-26-2019, 07:02 AM
...don't worry he was released from custody, probably with his keys and all important cell phone :-(

He made bail, to which he has a constitutional right. He paid a bond of $25,000 and faces charges for manslaughter, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, failure to drive in the proper lane, illegal possession of narcotics (heroin), and possession of drug paraphernalia. This guy is going away.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/News/Wallingford/Wallingford-News/Bicyclist-killed-in-Wallingford.html

OtayBW
05-26-2019, 07:20 AM
He made bail, to which he has a constitutional right. He paid a bond of $25,000 and faces charges for manslaughter, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, failure to drive in the proper lane, illegal possession of narcotics (heroin), and possession of drug paraphernalia. This guy is going away.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/News/Wallingford/Wallingford-News/Bicyclist-killed-in-Wallingford.html
Sounds similar to Episcopal Bishop Heather Cook, who after killing Tom Palmero a few years ago by running him over in the wrong lane, drunk, and leaving the scene of the crime, is now serving her time in home detention. :confused:
I hope he's not going away like that...

makoti
05-26-2019, 10:35 AM
Sounds similar to Episcopal Bishop Heather Cook, who after killing Tom Palmero a few years ago by running him over in the wrong lane, drunk, and leaving the scene of the crime, is now serving her time in home detention. :confused:
I hope he's not going away like that...

In her case, "going away" doesn't mean what it used to. Out in half the time.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-cook-to-be-released-20190430-story.html

OtayBW
05-26-2019, 10:51 AM
In her case, "going away" doesn't mean what it used to. Out in half the time.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-cook-to-be-released-20190430-story.htmlThanks. That's my point. :rolleyes:

pjbaz
05-26-2019, 10:53 AM
I live within 30 minutes by bike from there.

After the accident, I had a coworker and a cycling buddy call, just to see if I was involved.

I was touched by their concern and yeah; seeing as it is local it does wake you up.

When the reports mentioned the location, I tried to envision how a cyclist could be hit. A driver crossing the centerline was not a scenario in my mind.

I haven’t gone by the spot yet to see exactly where, but I’m wondering if the driver wasn’t turning left onto Toelles as the cyclist (traveling North I believe) was heading toward the Redwood Flea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54ny77
05-26-2019, 11:08 AM
terrible. just terrible. condolences to family & friends, esp. if known to a fellow paceliner.

makoti
05-26-2019, 11:41 AM
Thanks. That's my point. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I got that. Just bringing it home.:rolleyes:

NHAero
05-26-2019, 11:47 AM
Do you think Heather Cook will be allowed to drive?

Peter P.
05-26-2019, 07:40 PM
I haven’t gone by the spot yet to see exactly where, but I’m wondering if the driver wasn’t turning left onto Toelles as the cyclist (traveling North I believe) was heading toward the Redwood Flea.

The newspaper reported the accident was "north of Toelles Road, near the North Haven town line.

I rode by the area today. Nothing unusual to see. Due to the location of the accident, I don't think the driver was turning left onto Toelles Road but he actually drifted over the center line.

Here's the newspaper article (http://www.myrecordjournal.com/News/Wallingford/Wallingford-News/Bicyclist-killed-in-Wallingford.html), with more details.

BobbyJones
05-26-2019, 08:01 PM
I literally just drove by this spot on my way to family today.

It always sucks when this happens, even more so when its close to home.

Condolences to family and friends.

oldpotatoe
05-27-2019, 08:43 AM
Do you think Heather Cook will be allowed to drive?

Bet she does and after the lockout gizmos(blow into thing to be able to start car) are removed...she'll probably drink and drive too..I wouldn't be surprised if she views herself as a victim of some sort..

OtayBW
05-27-2019, 09:15 AM
Bet she does and after the lockout gizmos(blow into thing to be able to start car) are removed...she'll probably drink and drive too..I wouldn't be surprised if she views herself as a victim of some sort..She left the scene of the crime and has never apologized (that I know about). This is also not her 1st offence with drinking and driving. Poetic justice would require her to bike commute for some substantial period of time.

unterhausen
05-27-2019, 09:27 AM
too bad nobody ever loses their license for life. Yeah, it's a hardship, no it's not insurmountable. She could ride an ebike.

parris
05-27-2019, 10:39 AM
Unterhausen I don't disagree with you in the least. My issue is that there are so many people that I see get popped for driving with a suspended, revoked, or simply no license that I just don't know how much of a deterrent it is in these cases.

One of the things that has become more "normal" over the years is that many of these offenders just really don't care about anything or anyone other than themselves.

oldpotatoe
05-28-2019, 07:01 AM
too bad nobody ever loses their license for life. Yeah, it's a hardship, no it's not insurmountable. She could ride an ebike.

Issue is that, even with NO license, she could easily own and drive a car..even if busted for no license, the 'penalty' is minor..
States almost always classify driving without a license as a misdemeanor, one that is punishable by fines, perhaps some community service or, on rare occasions, a short term in jail. Fines are different in each state and may be as little as $100 or as much as $1,000 or more.

YesNdeed
05-28-2019, 08:06 AM
I don't think I've ridden this road, but my first road rides were the Lulu's Ride and the New Haven Century, not far away. My thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of Carelli. Very sad and pointless.

Mark McM
05-28-2019, 09:48 AM
Unterhausen I don't disagree with you in the least. My issue is that there are so many people that I see get popped for driving with a suspended, revoked, or simply no license that I just don't know how much of a deterrent it is in these cases.

There was a case just a few years in Seabrook, NH involving a driver on drugs who killed 2 cyclists and injured 2 others. The driver had never even had a driving license. In addition, she had been stopped by the police just 8 hours earlier, very close to where the fatal collision occurred, and ticketed for driving without a license. (Because driving without a license is not criminal offense in NH, the police could not arrest her for the earlier stop. They could merely hold her until another person came to pick her up.)

One of the things that has become more "normal" over the years is that many of these offenders just really don't care about anything or anyone other than themselves.

In the case mentioned above, the driver came from a very broken home, involving neglect, abuse, alcoholism, and a parent dying from a drug overdose. It's hard to learn to care about other people when no one has cared about you. The husband of one of the cyclists killed was quoted as saying about the driver, "Her messed-up life has messed up my life and other families' lives, and now we're all damaged goods."

Jsafran
05-28-2019, 12:44 PM
My condolences to the family of Donald Carelli. I have ridden this road several times as my in-laws live about a mile way. Its extremely sobering when a fatal crash happens on the roads you know.

South Turnpike Road can have some fast moving cars on it because people use it as a connector to I-91, but its dead straight and has a shoulder on most of the road. I guess this is a special circumstance where this driver shouldn't have been on the road.

How someone with a clear substance abuse issue who is clearly a danger to the public and facing charges of taking someones life is out on bail is non-comprehensible to me.

Black Dog
05-28-2019, 01:28 PM
There was a case just a few years in Seabrook, NH involving a driver on drugs who killed 2 cyclists and injured 2 others. The driver had never even had a driving license. In addition, she had been stopped by the police just 8 hours earlier, very close to where the fatal collision occurred, and ticketed for driving without a license. (Because driving without a license is not criminal offense in NH, the police could not arrest her for the earlier stop. They could merely hold her until another person came to pick her up.)

In the case mentioned above, the driver came from a very broken home, involving neglect, abuse, alcoholism, and a parent dying from a drug overdose. It's hard to learn to care about other people when no one has cared about you. The husband of one of the cyclists killed was quoted as saying about the driver, "Her messed-up life has messed up my life and other families' lives, and now we're all damaged goods."

And this is the argument for helping children that are innocent victims of abusive families and those that suffer from substance abuse. It is always money well spent and it literally can save more than just the life of child. Prevention is so much cheaper than cure. The criminal justice system is not the place to deal with these issues, by then it is too late and lives have been damaged.

Aaron O
05-28-2019, 04:05 PM

m4rk540
05-28-2019, 04:30 PM
So I am not a subject matter expert, and I’m not looking to troll and/or battle. My impression from having had an addict in my life, and having done a LITTLE bit of research, is that the recovery rates from addiction are extremely low, many of the treatment centers are outright scams to get insurance money, and that most serious addicts are basically the walking dead.

Is there prevention that actually works? Can you show me anything that is a real metric justifying treatment? I’m really asking - this isn’t rhetorical. I’d love to support something that actually works. My current impression is that nothing does, and it’s an array of bad options.

As a sidebar - I have little interest in this guy’s sob story. He killed someone...someone of far more value to society.

I don't think he's arguing for treatment over incarceration. He's talking about ending the cycle of criminality or recidivism through education and social services, ie, devoting resources to children at highest risk.

OtayBW
05-28-2019, 05:34 PM
There was a case just a few years in Seabrook, NH involving a driver on drugs who killed 2 cyclists and injured 2 others. The driver had never even had a driving license. In addition, she had been stopped by the police just 8 hours earlier, very close to where the fatal collision occurred, and ticketed for driving without a license. (Because driving without a license is not criminal offense in NH, the police could not arrest her for the earlier stop. They could merely hold her until another person came to pick her up.)I remember that, as do I'm sure many of us here - in part because I rode that ride a few times. Do you happen to know what became of her?

unterhausen
05-28-2019, 06:12 PM
Issue is that, even with NO license, she could easily own and drive a car..even if busted for no license, the 'penalty' is minor..
don't disagree, and this is very common. OTOH, it certainly should be a condition of parole? I don't know if she's on parole or not though

Peter P.
05-28-2019, 08:48 PM
I remember that, as do I'm sure many of us here - in part because I rode that ride a few times. Do you happen to know what became of her?

Here's what happened to the driver. (https://www.seacoastonline.com/article/20150126/NEWS/150129401)

Peter P.
06-11-2019, 06:13 AM
Here's the most recent information (http://www.myrecordjournal.com/News/Wallingford/Wallingford-News/Warrant-Man-admitted-using-heroin-before-crash-that-killed-man-in-Wallingford-last-month.html) regarding the death of the cyclist in Connecticut.

soulspinner
06-11-2019, 06:32 AM
Amazes me. Heroin and driving 3 oclock in the afternoon.

parris
06-11-2019, 06:32 AM
What a game playing POS the driver is! :mad:

GregL
06-11-2019, 08:01 AM
What a game playing POS the driver is! :mad:
That's the new standard defense for DUI. Miss your court date because you're in rehab. This defense is commonly used now (https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2019/06/da-fatal-dwi-convict-took-off-with-womans-car-before-flipping-it-on-tipp-hill.html). I realize addiction is an illness, but the lack of personal responsibility in these cases is disgusting. One strike, get an opportunity to get clean. Two strikes, throw them in jail and toss the key. And to clarify, mandatory jail time for any DUI collision that results in personal injury or death. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Greg

bthornt
06-11-2019, 08:30 AM
I suppose this is true about the entire country, but Connecticut has a huge opioid problem. I grew up in the area around where this accident took place, and when I go back to visit I'm amazed by what I hear and see about heroin, fentanyl, and the like.

CunegoFan
06-11-2019, 08:48 AM
With the movement to legalize drugs, the inclination to get high anywhere and everywhere, plus the rejection of personal responsibility and the tendency to always blame someone or something else, things can only get better. We're headed toward to new world of freedom with no ill consequences. None. Anyone who thinks differently must be suffering from Reefer Madness.

zap
06-11-2019, 09:33 AM
That's the new standard defense for DUI. Miss your court date because you're in rehab. This defense is commonly used now (https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2019/06/da-fatal-dwi-convict-took-off-with-womans-car-before-flipping-it-on-tipp-hill.html). I realize addiction is an illness, but the lack of personal responsibility in these cases is disgusting. One strike, get an opportunity to get clean. Two strikes, throw them in jail and toss the key. And to clarify, mandatory jail time for any DUI collision that results in personal injury or death. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Greg

In some countries, one strike means suspended drivers license.

parris
06-11-2019, 09:33 AM
Greg you and I see very similar issues given where we live. Parts of Syracuse are VERY sketchy and dangerous. Down here in the Binghamton area we see a ton of problems due to the number of highways in and out of the area. We're a crossroads to other parts of the state in that way.

When I started with the department 20+ years ago crack and coke were the drugs we saw for the most part. "We" were all shocked when Heroin started to come back. Today it's all over the place and it crosses all classes. The scary thing is the s**t that the dealers are using to cut the Heroin with.

Mark McM
06-11-2019, 09:59 AM
With the movement to legalize drugs, the inclination to get high anywhere and everywhere, plus the rejection of personal responsibility and the tendency to always blame someone or something else, things can only get better. We're headed toward to new world of freedom with no ill consequences. None. Anyone who thinks differently must be suffering from Reefer Madness.

?????
Nowhere in the US is anyone seriously trying to legalize heroin, nor is anyone trying to make medicinal opioids available without a doctor's prescription (and there have already been crackdowns on over-prescribing opioids).

Peter P.
06-11-2019, 08:42 PM

That's somewhat funny but unfortunately, so true.

Since pot was legalized in MA, I'm smelling it A LOT MORE on my bike rides, and it's not legal in CT. I expect the number of stoned drivers involved in accidents, and perhaps hitting cyclists, to increase.