PDA

View Full Version : Always use a u-lock

cribbit
05-24-2019, 01:13 PM
No matter what they advertise, any cable/band/weave lock does very little to stop someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D15QH72xfPA

"Cut in Seconds: $75 Ottolock Hexband Bike Lock"

false_Aest
05-24-2019, 01:17 PM
On Ottolock's website:

"OTTOLOCK is designed for quick stops and protecting against opportunity theft. OTTOLOCK is not a replacement for a U-Lock. For maximum security, use a redundant locking method with both a U-Lock and a secondary lock. "

yinzerniner
05-24-2019, 01:42 PM
On Ottolock's website:

"OTTOLOCK is designed for quick stops and protecting against opportunity theft. OTTOLOCK is not a replacement for a U-Lock. For maximum security, use a redundant locking method with both a U-Lock and a secondary lock. "

That's fine and all, but how is this $75 lock better than five thick zip ties placed at different locations on the bike? In my estimation the zip ties would provide 500% of the protection at 2% the price and 15% of the weight. Possibly even more protection than the Ottolock if ziptie placement is strategic.

I think Ottolocks deserves to get called out on what it is - a device with limited efficacy where you're paying for aesthetics and ease of use, NOT any type of actual protection.

BRad704
05-24-2019, 01:46 PM
That's fine and all, but how is this $75 lock better than five thick zip ties placed at different locations on the bike? In my estimation the zip ties would provide 500% of the protection at 2% the price and 15% of the weight. Possibly even more protection than the Ottolock if ziptie placement is strategic.

I think Ottolocks deserves to get called out on what it is - a device with limited efficacy where you're paying for aesthetics and ease of use, NOT any type of actual protection.

Well... reusability for one. And not having to be the shady person appearing to steal your own bike.

I see the Ottolock as a solution for riding to the grocery store or a quick coffee stop. Places where other people aren't going to be coming prepared with bike-stealing-tools. No matter what you use, you aren't going to stop someone who comes in prepared to do some bike stealin'.

ColonelJLloyd
05-24-2019, 01:48 PM
I use the zip lock method when bikepacking. Usually I have someone else along and we just zip our bikes together facing opposite directions. Maybe one zip tie to a stationary object if convenient. I don't really know if my method has been tested or how effective it really is, but the multiple unknown zip ties makes good sense to me. Hell, I've foiled myself a time or two forgetting I also "put one THERE."

Well... reusability for one. And not having to be the shady person appearing to steal your own bike.

Psh.

I keep these in my handlebar bag. Useful.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31LwjHDVHxL._SX425_.jpg

MattTuck
05-24-2019, 01:58 PM
THe best would be remote control self-destructing spokes. that you could trigger when you saw your bike was being ridden way.

Or similar concept with the seatpost.

David Tollefson
05-24-2019, 02:00 PM
Or similar concept with the seatpost.

Explosively loaded auto-eject seatpost...

buckfifty
05-24-2019, 02:10 PM
I have one of the first designs and I use it as a cafe/store stop lock. Quick in and out for food or bathroom. Carrying around a u-lock on road rides isn't practical, does anyone know of a lock that can be carried in a jersey pocket or is light enough to carry around on a road ride?

yinzerniner
05-24-2019, 02:20 PM
I have one of the first designs and I use it as a cafe/store stop lock. Quick in and out for food or bathroom. Carrying around a u-lock on road rides isn't practical, does anyone know of a lock that can be carried in a jersey pocket or is light enough to carry around on a road ride?

A couple of these locked at multiple locations, as suggested by ColonelJLloyd

Will be lighter, cheaper and safer than any Ottolock.

Heisenberg
05-24-2019, 02:30 PM
A couple of these locked at multiple locations, as suggested by ColonelJLloyd

Will be lighter, cheaper and safer than any Ottolock.

um, you can get through those with a pair of standard scissors...

the ottolock at least needs tin snips to be defeated. nothing else really works. the thieves here walk around with bolt cutters the size of middle schoolers.

ColonelJLloyd
05-24-2019, 02:42 PM

Ha. It's reusable. No scissors required.

We're talking theft deterrence, not making a bike theft-proof. It's situational and personal preference. You do you, as it were.

yinzerniner
05-24-2019, 02:45 PM

the ottolock at least needs tin snips to be defeated. nothing else really works. the thieves here walk around with bolt cutters the size of middle schoolers.

I'd take a minute of looking for all the connection points vs a lock that requires a single cut from a very basic tool. Neither is ideal, but in the bike-stealing game speed is key.

As stated by the Portland PD 50% or more of the bike thieves out there carry around tin snips. The others probably carry around stuff more advanced like battery-powered angle grinders or bolt cutters like you mentioned. In that case a heavy u-lock will be the only real defense, and even then it's not immune.

Kirk007
05-24-2019, 03:05 PM
Pee in the woods. Take your bike with you to the espresso counter (or park it where you can see it while the barista pulls your shot). I don't carry a lock so I don't park high end road bikes in locations where they might be lifted while I'm otherwise occupied. If I want to go to the store or someplace where I might need to go inside with the bike out of site for awhile then I take a bike that takes a bag with a lock inside it. I like the reuseable zip tie idea though.

cmbicycles
05-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Explosively loaded auto-eject seatpost...Remote activated "dropper post"... seems like a job for the guy that made the glitter bomb for package thieves. Auto eject seat post with a pepper/skunk spray from the stem. Blind em and send em flying.

vqdriver
05-24-2019, 06:07 PM
assume they will get thru any lock. just make it a big PITA and as dangerous as you can

quick disconnect brake cables
removable brake pads
alternatively, tighten brake cables to prevent rolling wheels
if hydro disc, open reservoir cap
open quick release skewers
remove pedals
replace post/saddle with javelin
replace headset top cap with spearhead
replace front wheel with 16" wheel from kids bike

jk and all that

Seramount
05-24-2019, 06:13 PM
haven't used a bike lock since the 70s...

hard to steal your ride when your butt's on the saddle.

dustyrider
05-24-2019, 07:09 PM
Only lock bikes up out of your sight if you’re willing to lose them. Locks only keep honest people honest. If you think a u-lock stops a thief, spend a little more time on YouTube! :)

Keith A
05-26-2019, 02:30 PM
I thought there are some good tips in this video from GCN when making a quick stop...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZUqESyVUxc
and a more recent one is here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6WYBDTYMnw